Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Mordor project: Avatar Remake
Braindead's Mordor Site - Return to Mordor: The Depths Of Dejenol > Mordor: The Depths Of Dejenol > Modding And Development
Braindead
I've been looking again at the maps used in Avatar and it look like really entertaining stuff and sometimes shamelessly similar to current Mordor dungeon tongue.gif.
I know some of you, just as myself, are already active in the Mordor MP project but I wondered if anyone would be interested of doing a remake of Avatar in Mordor, kinda as a side project - or as the main project if you aren't involved in Mordor MP yet. wink.gif
If there are 15 people joining the project, the dungeon would be finished in no time if everyone does a level that is... tongue.gif

Maps can be seen here: http://www.heavyharmonies.com/Avatar/maps.html
aardless
QUOTE (Braindead)
I've been looking again at the maps used in Avatar and it look like really entertaining stuff and sometimes shamelessly similar to current Mordor dungeon .

I was wondering why you said that, until I saw level 11 and below. :laugh.gif:

On the project thingy, you mean copying the avatar maps wih your editor, or using them as inspiration for entirely new ones?
fart642000
QUOTE (aardless @ Feb 22 2005, 05:36 PM)
On the project thingy, you mean copying the avatar maps wih your editor, or using them as inspiration for entirely new ones?

probably have to be inspiration since the copyright issue was brought up a while back and was never solved
Braindead
QUOTE (aardless @ Feb 22 2005, 11:36 PM)
QUOTE (Braindead)
I've been looking again at the maps used in Avatar and it look like really entertaining stuff and sometimes shamelessly similar to current Mordor dungeon .

I was wondering why you said that, until I saw level 11 and below. :laugh.gif:

I mean a 1 on 1 copy by hand with my editor. (except the features that aren't available in a Mordor dungeon)
fart642000
QUOTE (Braindead @ Feb 22 2005, 03:28 PM)
sometimes shamelessly similar to current Mordor dungeon tongue.gif.

that's for sure...

btw what are the question marks? (in case they changed what the ? square looks like)
Braindead
Been working nearly 2 hours on level 1 and the copying is almost done, I guess another half hour and it'll be finished, I'll post a screenie of it when I finish it smile.gif
fart642000
maybe we should split up some of the levels so we don't repeat ourselves? (i'll try level 3)

gl with it
Braindead
tx for the cooperation fart, I'll make a private forum for contenders of this project so we can say which levels we'll do.

Level 1 is done btw smile.gif
Original avatar map: here

Mordor remake of Avatar level 1:
Nudibranch
This project is an interesting idea, the Avatar maps look like a good dungeon.

The Avatar map mentions a "stud room" at 12,13 -- you should probably put stud squares there.

The legend doesn't mention what those bracketed squares are, but I'd be willing to guess they're anti-magic squares.

Do the "wrap-around" doors actually work in Mordor?
Braindead
I haven't tested yet whether the wrap around doors actually work yet, too busy mapping... smile.gif

It could indeed very well be anti-magic squares, I've replaced them in the new version of the map. See pic. smile.gif

A little update on the project:
Aardless joined the project which makes us a project group of 3 people now, being Aardless, Fart642000 and myself.

On the project itself: progress is steady, 3 maps have been marked as finished. crazy.gif
Nudibranch
Did some minimal proofreading of the map -- you're missing two walls at 18,3, one wall at 23,7, a wall at 5,9, a door at 24,9, a door at 19,19, a door at 7,5, a door at 3,28, an anti-magic square at 15,7, the two rotators at 8,26 and 23,9, and you added an extra door at 11,5.

Looks great though. ohmy.gifk:
Braindead
thanx, fixed those now smile.gif

haven't put an anitmagic square on 15, 7 though as you don't see the stairs down otherwise...
Did this ever get completed and/or released?

I would love to play Mordor with the Avatar maps (since the latter are permanently burned into my brain from years of playing on NovaNet/Plato.
Braindead
nope there were 7 levels more or less finished, after which we lost interest...
DarkerMuffin
By any chance, is the map data from this project lying around anywhere? I was thinking of messing around with the Avatar maps myself and found this old topic. (Happy nearly 10th birthday topic!)
aardless
The links to the maps we did in the Avatar sub-forum are sadly dead. I must still have the maps we did somewhere though. I think we did 9 maps in the end; can't remember if we added the monsters or not. It might be an idea to release them, rather than see them disappear in nothingness. The computer I used for that doesn't boot anymore, but I think I backed them up.
DarkerMuffin
Ah, shame the old links are dead. Thanks for checking into it though!
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2019 Invision Power Services, Inc.