Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Solo Evil Morloch
Braindead's Mordor Site - Return to Mordor: The Depths Of Dejenol > Mordor: The Depths Of Dejenol > General Discussion
Pages: 1, 2
Roland
The recent action in the forum mostly concerns the MythrilZenith's solo good elf and fischsemmel's solo osiri. This inspired me to start my own solo character.

My three-man party consists of two dwarves and a good gnome. That means I have a lot of evil stats saved up, and a lot of unused evil equipment, so the alignment choice was easy. While I like the idea of running a Villain, there is one huge problem with the guild: For some reason, DA chose to remove Charm of Opening from its spell list. (In Avatar, Villains are an excellent all-around solo class, in part because they can cast Charm of Opening. But in larger part because they can be giants.) I thought about using an editor to "fix" the guild, but I decided instead to level in both Warrior and Scavenger.

The only races that can be evil and level in both Warrior and spellcasting guilds are human and morloch. The big weakness of morlochs is their low constitution. But they have good strength and dexterity, and they live longer than humans. Morlochs are also 95% resistant to paralysis, which is obviously useful for a solo character. With the advantages of a legacy character, a morloch should be playable.

I plan to level him in Warrior, Scavenger, Sorcerer, and Mage, plus a bit of Nomad. Since the dungeon is already mapped, I think I can get by without Seeker, though I might change my mind if I get tired of walking up from the depths. This combination of guilds will give him all the skills of a Villain. I guess I'm building a super-Villain a la carte!

This combination of guilds, along with his evil alignment and low constitution, reminded me of Elric of Melnibone. So I named him Aelric. To compensate for his legacy advantages and to round out his character, he will use only edged weapons - no maces, hammers, or staves. I'll decide later whether to use an editor to give him guild crests. Without cheating, the only guild crest he would get is Scavenger since I have high-level characters in the other guilds.

After one day, Aelric is already at Warrior 13, Scavenger 8, Nomad 8. I want to get him to a high enough level to use a steel dagger before I start advancing in the spellcasting guilds. He is averaging just over 10 hits per level. I've abused the quest-forfeit bug twice so far, but with just 20 con that doesn't provide a huge advantage.

One disappointing bug: When he equipped Dalyn's Tear, his paralysis resistance dropped from 95% to 90%.
fischsemmel
Nice! Every day I play my osiri, I find myself wanting to play a good or evil character because I've got a thing for mages... laugh.gif.

Do you think you'll be using a lot of healing items? When I've considered this, the crippling spell cost of even minor heal until you get dozens of levels seems to make healing that way before taking the stairs a no-go, and later it seems like trying to "top off" someone with 600+ hp using an 8-mana Heal won't work too well either! And what about resurrecting and/or healing companions? Just the morgue, or using items/spells?

On the note of items, does your neutral party have rings of teleport and a lot of gold? That'd help reduce the annoyance of no seeker levels.
Roland
QUOTE (fischsemmel @ Dec 10 2018, 06:14 PM) *
Do you think you'll be using a lot of healing items? When I've considered this, the crippling spell cost of even minor heal until you get dozens of levels seems to make healing that way before taking the stairs a no-go, and later it seems like trying to "top off" someone with 600+ hp using an 8-mana Heal won't work too well either! And what about resurrecting and/or healing companions? Just the morgue, or using items/spells?

I have a LOT of healing items stored up, and I'll probably make use of them while they last. But I won't heal up completely after each trip unless I have leftover spell points.

As for companions, I'll probably treat them as disposable. My Gnome Paladin/Mage spends most of his spell points keeping his Golden Eagles and Lamurian Warriors healed and bound, but I doubt I'll be able to use that strategy with a solo character.

I also have a lot of sashes. I'll probably make extensive use of attack spells from sashes.

QUOTE (fischsemmel @ Dec 10 2018, 06:14 PM) *
On the note of items, does your neutral party have rings of teleport and a lot of gold? That'd help reduce the annoyance of no seeker levels.

My neutral party includes a Seeker/Thief/Sorcerer. (He's the one who mapped the dungeon.) He spends most of his spell points opening boxes, displacing back to the party after blowing a teleport trap, and teleporting out of the dungeon. For the rare occasion when he runs out of spell points (usually after blowing a fate trap), he carries a Cube of Teleporting.

A solo character won't need to worry about rejoining his party if he blows a teleport trap. But I will avoid teleport traps on levels I have not finished mapping. As for getting out of the dungeon, it might be a long time before I need to worry about it.

I can't wait to reach Nomad 19, when I'll be able to equip Cloak of Night!
Roland
After reaching Warrior 28, Aelric has 280 hits. Not bad for Morloch! He is at level 26 in Scavenger and Nomad, and level 19 in Mage and Sorcerer. All stats are maxed except charisma.

Next I'll continue to focus on Nomad and Scavenger for a while - Nomad for hits, A/D, and perception, Scavenger for cheaper C/O.
Roland
I binged over the weekend and put lots of levels on Aelric. He is now at level 50 in Scavenger, 33 in Warrior and Nomad, and 29 in Mage and Sorcerer. He has 333 hits, all stats are maxed, and he is 16 years old.

Even with maxed stats, he lacks sufficient charisma to cast Soul Entrapment. Fortunately there are items that cast the spell, and they don't require high charisma.

I have been finding healing items faster than I've been using them, so the high cost of the Mage guild's healing spells has not been a problem so far.

My most-used offensive spell is Dazzle, which can take out rooms full of slaves, ants, or mosquitoes quickly and cheaply. For tougher encounters, I have a White Sash.

The few times I've tried charming monsters, they promptly died or ran away. Finding friends is not easy for an evil Morloch!

Aelric borrowed 40 million gold from one of my high-level characters earlier, but now he has paid it all back. Hunting Firagons is lucrative!
fischsemmel
QUOTE (Roland @ Dec 24 2018, 02:00 PM) *
Even with maxed stats, he lacks sufficient charisma to cast Soul Entrapment. Fortunately there are items that cast the spell, and they don't require high charisma.

I have been finding healing items faster than I've been using them, so the high cost of the Mage guild's healing spells has not been a problem so far.

I've always kind of wondered how a morloch would do as a mage with that low charisma. I've never played a mage enough to have an idea of how much charisma affects bind decay rates, monster join rates, etc., or which spells you would even be able to cast before finding a lot of +charisma gear (looking at you, blessings of morash).

It's nice that you're finding enough healing stuff! I forget there's a lot of potions and dusts and stuff on the first few floors that can carry you quite a ways if you don't just sell 9+ to the shop like I usually do!
Roland
To the extent that charisma matters, it is almost always natural charisma that the game uses. If item bonuses have any affect, it is only on the chance of monsters offering to join.
BLauritson
Does that include for spell casting requirements? I know that for other stats (Intelligence and Wisdom at least) the game uses the natural stat plus any item bonuses when determining whether the spell can be cast.
Nudibranch
QUOTE (Roland @ Dec 26 2018, 05:33 PM) *
To the extent that charisma matters, it is almost always natural charisma that the game uses. If item bonuses have any affect, it is only on the chance of monsters offering to join.

I thought it was the other way around. Despite having 15 Blessings, I don't think monsters offered to join more often. But I think you can meet spell requirements with item-adjusted stats.
Roland
QUOTE (Nudibranch @ Dec 26 2018, 11:00 PM) *
I thought it was the other way around. Despite having 15 Blessings, I don't think monsters offered to join more often. But I think you can meet spell requirements with item-adjusted stats.

You are probably right. Here is what grobblewobble wrote on the subject: "having your charisma item-boosted does make it a little harder for companions to break bind levels. It can sometimes also help to meet the minimum stat requirements for a spell. As an example, a morloch mage can't cast the soul entrapment spell without a charisma boosting item."

If true, that is good news. Maybe Aelric will eventually be able to cast Soul Entrapment after all! It looks like Ring of Spendour + Medallion of Dragons would do the trick.
fischsemmel
QUOTE (Roland @ Dec 27 2018, 04:30 PM) *
You are probably right. Here is what grobblewobble wrote on the subject: "having your charisma item-boosted does make it a little harder for companions to break bind levels. It can sometimes also help to meet the minimum stat requirements for a spell. As an example, a morloch mage can't cast the soul entrapment spell without a charisma boosting item."

If true, that is good news. Maybe Aelric will eventually be able to cast Soul Entrapment after all! It looks like Ring of Spendour + Medallion of Dragons would do the trick.

Don't forget about twisted bracers. Great defense, fire resistance, easy to get and wear, AND 2 charisma!
Roland
After another weekend of binging, Aelric reached level 55 in Scavenger and level 45 in all four other guilds. He is now Master of the Scavenger Guild. The crest looks very useful: +2 Str, +3 Dex, and 6 charges of Charm of Opening. Since it might be the only crest he will ever get, I'm glad it's a good one.

My only difficulty was a Tengu quest. After hitting most of the rooms on 1 and 2 where they can appear, I resorted to buying the only Tengu in confinement. I grabbed and buffered a Rod of Entrapment, and I was able to release and charm the Tengu to fulfill the quest. I then promptly sold it back into confinement.

When I encountered Lynch Demon near the 3-4 stairs, I went back up to 3 and grabbed some Goblin Guards. They managed to kill LD, but two of the three GGs died in the process and the third was badly mangled.

Aelric has traded in his White Sash for a Purple Sash. Now I need to figure out whether there are any dragons worth charming. The Firagons and Pelagons that I've been slaying seem to die pretty easily, so I'm sure they would not last long as companions. If I can't find dragons tough enough to work as companions, I'll probably just go back to the White Sash.

With my three-character party, I never bothered with companions until I started running 11 and 12, so I don't know much about what companions are good at lower levels. Any suggestions?

I think I'll continue leveling in Scavenger for now. With the crest I think I can run 5 safely, and the 6 charges of CoO will allow me to extend my runs. Maybe I'll try charming Black Pelagons in their lair on 6.

Soon I'll get Delvar's War Axe! I'm also looking forward to wielding a Dominator. By the time I found my first Dominator, my Paladin could wield better weapons, so I've never used one. To this day, I have yet to find a neutral-aligned Dominator. But I have an evil one in storage that's never been used.
Nudibranch
I favor companions with high HP. At low dungeon levels, that means Dungeonweed and Giant Slug. On 6, Black Pelagons should be good; Blue Pelagons almost as good. Champions (from 6) have great A/D and hits. Butchers from 7 are even better, and easy to find.
Roland
I hit the dragon room on 6 looking for Pelagon companions. The first time I charmed one Black Pelagon. It died shortly thereafter when I tried to run through a room full of Leeches. On my second attempt, I charmed three Blue Pelagons. One of them promptly left me, but I got back to town with the other two. I sold one to confinement and cast Domination on the other. I still have that one.

I'm still not sure it's worthwhile, however. It requires a lot of healing, which slows me down.
fischsemmel
So it's never really terribly realistic to keep more than one companion long term right? Because unless you can keep them alive, you lose them when a 2nd dies and you can only carry one at a time (or not even one sometimes, like with a lava giant or something)... right?

I feel like sometimes I am in town with multiple dead companions still in tow somehow though. I don't understand this mage stuff, laugh.gif
BLauritson
QUOTE (fischsemmel @ Jan 5 2019, 04:02 AM) *
I feel like sometimes I am in town with multiple dead companions still in tow somehow though. I don't understand this mage stuff, laugh.gif

I have noticed there does seem to be a bug where dead companions can't be dropped - it happened on my first mage run and I ended up using an editor to remove them and I found it again since with my current party build.

One way to fix that without an editor, if you have the gold to spare, is to have them resurrected at the morgue (one of the many things I only found out you can do on this more recent run! Always assumed the morgue was for characters only). You can then either sell them or carry on adventuring as you choose. I presume by the same token the Raise Dead/Resurrect spells would work in the same way?
MythrilZenith
Ooh, Morloch is a race I've never played before. As a kid, they couldn't ever reach any good classes with base stats (and the idea of legacy characters never occurred to me at the time), and as an experienced player their stats just kind of turn me off. They aren't particularly good at anything unique, and have the lowest Con by far? Yeah, I always wondered why they even existed as playable. I hope you're having fun with the run, though!

Glad to see other people taking on the solo character thing, though. I've found that it's a lot less intimidating to run a solo character, because each run into the dungeon can be pretty short, and I don't feel like I have to constantly monitor a ton of stuff. It's a lazy way to play mordor, which is kind of relaxing.

For companions, so far in the mid levels I've found Sorcerers to be some of the better ones available. They're pretty common in the stairs rooms in the lower-left of floor 5. I just like magic-casting companions, because companions don't tend to hit you with spells like they do with breath or physical attacks, and Sorcerers in particular can throw fire, ice and lightning spells to pretty decent effect. They can die quickly if you don't kill rooms in a single blast, though.
Roland
QUOTE (MythrilZenith @ Jan 5 2019, 08:48 PM) *
Ooh, Morloch is a race I've never played before. As a kid, they couldn't ever reach any good classes with base stats (and the idea of legacy characters never occurred to me at the time), and as an experienced player their stats just kind of turn me off. They aren't particularly good at anything unique, and have the lowest Con by far? Yeah, I always wondered why they even existed as playable.

Of all the races that can join spellcasting guilds, Morlochs have the highest strength - and the second-highest dexterity, after Osiris. Also, I wanted an evil character, which limited my racial choices.

All the races in Mordor were inherited from Avatar - and the base stats are mostly the same, though there are a few odd exceptions. The only Avatar race missing from Mordor is Cirilian.

One of the intersting things about Morlochs in Avatar is that they were the only playable race with the water-breathing ability. So they could survive in water rooms without Levitate.
Nudibranch
QUOTE (Roland @ Jan 7 2019, 11:43 AM) *
One of the intersting things about Morlochs in Avatar is that they were the only playable race with the water-breathing ability. So they could survive in water rooms without Levitate.

It's funny how an ability that would be so powerful in the real world is so mundane in a game where items or spells confer it trivially.

Although as it so happens I can See Invisible. There just aren't any invisible things to see.
Roland
Aelric has reached level 85 in Scavenger, plus 65 in Nomad and Warrior, and 55 in Mage and Sorcerer. Finally exceeded 400 hits. And have 164 million gold in the bank.

Now wielding the Dominator in all his fighting guilds, and the Cross of Commanding in the spellcasting guilds. Levels come fast while wielding the cross!

I charmed a pair of Black Pelagons last night. I hit each with a charge from my Tome of Binding, which raised their bind level from 6 to 8. But they kept breaking away and attacking - and they attacked each other, not Aelric. Eventually the weaker one killed the stronger. When I got back to town I immediately sold it. I'm giving up on the Purple Sash - its charm isn't strong enough to hold a dragon worth keeping. I can use Static Sash in some guilds now, anyway.

When equipped with Amulet of Flames and Twisted Bracers, I can cast Soul Entrapment. It still costs too much to use regularly, but I used it to grab a couple of devils to finish off Lynch Demon - and then sold them to confinement for a nice profit.

On Saturday I ran my high-level party for the first time in weeks. The Paladin was quested for a Blue Gremlin - and still is, despite hitting most of the mythical-spawning rooms on 10-15. His Golden Eagle companions were unusually restless, so he burned up his spell points keeping them bound. The Seeker was the only one to make level, and now he's quested for a Wererat.
fischsemmel
QUOTE (Roland @ Jan 14 2019, 11:58 AM) *
. Levels come fast while wielding the cross!

Especially at the levels when you can first use them! So dang strong for that low of a level.
Roland
Last night I only made two levels. I was too busy using my newly acquired Soul Entrapment spell to fill confinement to worry about leveling!
fischsemmel
QUOTE (Roland @ Jan 15 2019, 09:24 PM) *
Last night I only made two levels. I was too busy using my newly acquired Soul Entrapment spell to fill confinement to worry about leveling!

ok.gif
Roland
My confinement now holds at least one of every level 1 monster except Aboleth, and every level 2 monster except Slave Driver. Next I need to find a Purple Ooze - not for confinement, but for my latest Scavenger quest.
fischsemmel
QUOTE (Roland @ Jan 16 2019, 04:04 PM) *
My confinement now holds at least one of every level 1 monster except Aboleth, and every level 2 monster except Slave Driver. Next I need to find a Purple Ooze - not for confinement, but for my latest Scavenger quest.

Nice!
Roland
Aelric suffered his first death last night. He had almost died a few minutes earlier. During combat in the lake on 7, I noticed that his hits had fallen to around 20! I immediately backed out and healed before completing the encounter. A few minutes later he pinned and headed back up. As usual, when I got to 4 I found it had repopped. Instead of taking time to kill everything, I just ran through all the rooms, ignoring monsters. In retrospect, I wish I had taken time to stop and kill the Nastrums. They apparently stoned me. I quickly ran my Healer down to 4 and resurrected Aelric, who appears to have suffered no permanent damage beyond a few weeks of aging.
BLauritson
Ouch, to think he survived all of that just to be felled by an unlucky roll back to the surface.

Doesn't stoning automatically cause one point of constitution loss when being resurrected? Or is that only when the Morgue performs it?
Roland
Aelric has reached his medium-term goals - level 91 in Scavenger, Warrior, Mage, and Sorcerer and level 85 in Nomad. He's been running levels 4-7 of the dungeon. Level 7 is still rough - he rarely gets all five swings with the Cross of Commanding, and he has to heal a lot. He also doesn't have the boxing skill to disarm traps reliably on 7.

He has been running without companions. I never did find a companion that was easy to keep alive. Now that his charm costs are lower maybe I'll have to see if I can find some monsters to use as disposable companions.

I've re-equipped him to resume levelling in Scavenger. His strength, dexterity, and defense are much higher as a Scavenger, and he'll do more damage with the Dominator, so I'm expecting level 7 to easier now. It will be nice to start gaining hit points again, as well as reducing the cost of COO.
Nudibranch
QUOTE (Roland @ Feb 8 2019, 05:27 PM) *
Aelric has reached his medium-term goals - level 91 in Scavenger, Warrior, Mage, and Sorcerer and level 85 in Nomad. He's been running levels 4-7 of the dungeon. Level 7 is still rough - he rarely gets all five swings with the Cross of Commanding, and he has to heal a lot. He also doesn't have the boxing skill to disarm traps reliably on 7.

He has been running without companions. I never did find a companion that was easy to keep alive. Now that his charm costs are lower maybe I'll have to see if I can find some monsters to use as disposable companions.

I've re-equipped him to resume levelling in Scavenger. His strength, dexterity, and defense are much higher as a Scavenger, and he'll do more damage with the Dominator, so I'm expecting level 7 to easier now. It will be nice to start gaining hit points again, as well as reducing the cost of COO.

If you're on 7, try for Butchers and Champions. No companions stay alive very long, but with a Mage, it's easy to get new ones.
Roland
QUOTE (Nudibranch @ Feb 8 2019, 10:23 PM) *
If you're on 7, try for Butchers and Champions. No companions stay alive very long, but with a Mage, it's easy to get new ones.

Aelric already took out the Butcher once. One charge from a Static Sash softened him up nicely!

As for companions, I've had pretty good luck keeping Lamurian Warriors and Golden Eagles alive - they tend to last until I run into Magi Lord. But it will be a while yet before Aelric can find companions of that caliber. Witches look like they might be tough enough to last a while - and if not, they're common enough to replace easily.
Nudibranch
I meant grab a Butcher as a companion. Or Champions. Both have high HP and Defense, though not many resists. (This is why companions are so frail in general.)

You might have to damage them a bit before Soul Entrapment will work.
Roland
QUOTE (Nudibranch @ Feb 9 2019, 03:39 PM) *
I meant grab a Butcher as a companion. Or Champions. Both have high HP and Defense, though not many resists. (This is why companions are so frail in general.)

You might have to damage them a bit before Soul Entrapment will work.

Thanks for the tip. It did not occur to me that the Butcher might be charmable since most bosses have Charm Resistance (including both of the others on level 7).
Roland
Over the past week or two, Aelric has reached 129 in Scavenger, 105 in Nomad, and 109 in Warrior. Levels in the latter two guilds came quickly enough that I was pinning on 5 and 6 without having to go down to 7, so I haven't had occasion to encounter the Butcher or a Champion. The extra Nomad levels earned access to the Medallion of Dragons, which gives Aelric enough charisma to cast Soul Entrapment without having to resort to Twisted Bracers. If he has spell points left at the end of a run he often grabs a monster or two to sell to Confinement. More than once, Confinement has helped him with a tough monster quest.

Combat goes pretty fast when you're taking three swings with a Dominator - faster, I would say, than five swings with a Cross of Commanding, as long as you don't run deeper than 6. When I return to Scavenger, I might give the Mithril Axe a try.

Now back to the spellcasting guilds, but not for long. Levels in those guilds just come too slowly, so I don't want to spend much time in them just now. I'll be aiming at 95 in Mage (just +4 levels) and 111 in Sorcerer (+20 levels). Those are new-item levels, so it will allow me to move some mid-level items back into storage and clear up space in the bank. Right now I need to keep a lot of items handy because he can use items two levels higher as a Nomad than as a Sorcerer.

Currently at 489 hits and 485 million gold. I think that makes him richer than any of my high-level characters! He's also been stockpiling items that my high-level party can use, like Bells of Kwalish and Scrolls of Spells.

As a Nomad, Aelric is now eligible to use some high-level items that I have not yet found (Scarab of Life, Cloak of Enchantment). I think it will soon be time to take a break from the solo Morloch and resume running my high-level party. I might take a hint from fischsemmel and focus on finding Blessings. So far I've only found two, and those came a long time ago. Maybe I need to run a bit shallower to find them, or just cast a lot of Ethereal Portals to get to the isolated corners where Mythicals lurk.
Roland
Aelric suffered his second death last night - stoned by Medusa. I brought my high-level party down to patch him up, and they continued their run until all three had enough experience to level. Then I resumed Aelric's run.

The Cross of Commanding seems to be doing more damage now - those extra Warrior levels must be helping, along with the +15 attack from extra Nomad levels.

I was able to charm a Butcher and get back to town with him. After surviving a blow from my Cross, I don't think he took a single point of damage. I think he'll do nicely as a companion!
Roland
Current stats:

Scavenger 155
Warrior 135
Nomad 125
Sorcerer 115
Mage 105

Hits: 531
Gold: 730 million

Warrior and Nomad levels were coming pretty fast wielding the Avenger. Now returning to the spellcasting guilds. Even with a Vampire Fang, I'm afraid this could get really grindy. Probably time to start burning sashes and spheres.
BLauritson
You've certainly come a long way with Aelric. What dungeon level is he able to survive on with those stats and levels?
Roland
I haven't really tested how deep he can survive. I think 8 is the deepest he has ventured so far, and he was in no real danger there. He levels so fast in the fighting guilds that there has not been a good reason to go deeper than 7.

I'm not sure what strategy to use while leveling in Mage and Sorcerer. The experience demands will be greater, but his defense will be much lower. So I'll probably run a little deeper and burn some charges off my stockpiles of Static and Magenta Sashes to compensate.
Nudibranch
Use your element spells against any medium+ size group once they've reached minimum cost. Which is to say Disease and possibly Acid Spray. You'll level very fast. Use the sashes too, yeah.
Roland
I took Aelric up to 125 in Mage and 145 in Sorcerer. Now I'm taking a break from him to work on my high-level party.
Roland
After reaching my level goals with my high-level party, I've resumed running Aelric. After a few levels each of Nomad and Warrior, I'm now working on Scavenger.

Aelric now has over 1 billion gold in the bank! He is still making most of his experience on 7, but he usually clears a few rooms on 8 before pinning. Once, late at night, running on auto-pilot, I accidentally took the chute down to 10. I had to plot the route carefully, but Aelric was in no real danger.

He bought a Guardian from the store and bound it for life with a charge from OOLD. Guardian has the highest defense of any charmable monster, plus 50% resistance to a lot of things, so I thought it was worth a shot. But it can soak up a lot of healing after encounters with monsters that use spells or breath weapons - e.g., Ice Demons.
Roland
Aelric eventually lost his Guardian to stoning. I decided to move up to a better companion. I bought a Lamurian Warrior from confinement and bound it for life. It's a lot easier to keep alive than the Guardian was.

Aelric has added a few levels of Mage, Nomad, and Warrior. Now he's working on Scavenger - he only needs a few more levels to bring Charm of Opening down to its minimum cost.
MythrilZenith
Have you found keeping one sturdy companion around worth the trouble of managing them (and spending OoLD on?) I generally find that I run into too many monsters with varied spells (like illusionists) or breath weapons (everything) to keep anything alive for very long, and unless my companions have spells or breath attacks themselves I haven't seen the extra damage output as significant. That said, I still have not done much with companions for the long-term so I will defer to your expertise on the matter.
Roland
The Guardian was an experiment. I noticed that it had the highest defense of any charmable monster, plus several resistances at 50%, so I thought it might be easy to keep alive. But breath weapons - most often from Ice Demons - always took a toll, so it required a lot more healing than I expected. It was useful for speeding up combat against relatively weak monsters, but it wasn't so strong that it would kill things I was trying to charm. My conclusion: It would probably be a useful companion if you are running levels 1-6, but once you hit 7 (which is the main level I was running) you'll have to spend too much time and mana healing it.

I have a long familiarity with Lamurian Warriors. Along with Golden Eagles, they are my high-level Gnome Mage's favorite companions. They have high defense, lots of hits, and good resistances. As long as I keep my Mage at the back of the party, the only thing that kills them is Magi Lord. And when I lose them it's easy to find more in the lake on 15. I find they add useful clobbering power to my three-man party, which lacks a Giant.

I rarely use OOLD charges with my high-level party. My Gnome's Domination spell, renewed before every expedition and sometimes refreshed in progress, is sufficient to keep them bound. But Aelric's Domination spell is too weak and too costly to rely on with such a powerful monster. So far he has used only two OOLD charges - one on the Guardian and one on the Lamurian. Since I have lots of Orbs sitting around in storage, it's not much of a sacrifice.

I'm taking full advantage of Aelric's status as a legacy character, using all the items available to him. The main sacrifice I have accepted is that he is not going to have access to crests, other than Scavenger and Nomad, for a long time, if ever.
Roland
Aelric is now 195 in Scavenger and 175 in his other four guilds - Nomad, Warrior, Sorcerer, and Mage. He has 619 hits, 1.8 billion gold, and 358/409 att/def (equipped as a Scavenger).

He lost a second Lamurian Warrior to stoning. Since then he hasn't tried to keep a permanent companion. I've been using him to stock the confinement, and that project is going well.

He is earning most of experience now on 8 and 9, with brief expeditions down to 10. I tried taking the chute from 7 to 10 yesterday and immediately stepped into a room full of Silent Eagles! Fortunately they were peaceful, and I ran away before they could reconsider! But that made me decide to stick close to the 9-10 stairs on visits to 10.

Next, I think I'll focus on Scavenger for 30 or 40 levels. Aelric needs better boxing skills and more hit points. Plus I love seeing "You backstabbed one!"
fischsemmel
Hah. It's fun seeing the elf, morloch, and human all at similar spots in their dungeon delving!

You could handle silent eagles pretty well I believe. 400 is a lot of defense for any floor above 13, and still enough for 13 if you don't check out the stud rooms where golden eagles can hang out. Two big nukes would just about clear them out... though if they don't have loot it isn't worth it I guess.

What weapon are you wielding in scav?
Roland
QUOTE (fischsemmel @ Jul 29 2019, 08:31 AM) *
What weapon are you wielding in scav?

Vampire Fang. For some reason, Scavengers can't use Avenger. With 34 strength (thanks to the crest), Aelric can usually one-shot most monsters on 9 and above with the VF. On 10, he finds monsters that often take three swings (Holy Warrior, Witch).

Wielding a one-handed weapon allows him to use a Shield of Defense, which gives electrical resistance as well as +18 defense. Given how often he blows blackout traps, that saves him a lot of spell points!
fischsemmel
QUOTE (Roland @ Jul 29 2019, 11:38 AM) *
Vampire Fang. For some reason, Scavengers can't use Avenger. With 34 strength (thanks to the crest), Aelric can usually one-shot most monsters on 9 and above with the VF. On 10, he finds monsters that often take three swings (Holy Warrior, Witch).

Wielding a one-handed weapon allows him to use a Shield of Defense, which gives electrical resistance as well as +18 defense. Given how often he blows blackout traps, that saves him a lot of spell points!

Hmm. I should try my avenger and a sword and board combo again to see if this GKH I've been using is really worth it. Then again I'm almost to my 2nd extra swing, at which point I think GKH gets an awfully big boost.
Roland
After making my goal of 235 (and 699 hits) in Scavenger, I've been working on Nomad. Things were going well until I got quested for a Blue Slime. I'm pretty sure this monster has companion-related spawning problems like so many others. Only 52 have ever been seen in my dungeon (compared to over 2,000 Violet Fungi, which are supposedly much rarer). In the process of trying to make his quest, Aelric got stoned. I think that was his third death. I sent the Dwarven rescue party to patch him up. He pinned shortly after that, and I forfeited the quest. Nomad levels come so fast that it's not worth wasting time on a hard quest. Only 12 more Nomad levels to max out his att/def. Shortly after that I'll start working on Warrior again.

In other news, I added a third Tengu to confinement, along with my first Silver Dragon. I could probably be making levels a lot faster if I weren't putting so much effort into stocking the confinement.
fischsemmel
Part of the reason you see so many more violet fungi js because they appear in 4 groups, and a lot are in each group. But yeah, blue slimes never seemed very common in my games either.

With my human right now, for example, his library says 12 blue slimes vs. 80 violet fungi, but I'm pretty sure I've only actually seen violent fungi on 2 ocassions (because they scare the hell out of me and I avoid the rooms after that).
MythrilZenith
All this hassle over Blue Slimes, when in my last grinding session I came across two groups of them (assuming proper identification) within fairly quick succession. It was around floor 10 actually, just wandering the maze of square-ish corridors below the middle stairs from 10 to 11, in the dead center of the map. They weren't too scary and I half thought of charming one for confinement purposes, but it was over too quickly because my gut reaction upon seeing the slime monster sprite is to spam static mesh (or electric field) and immediately run away.

I ALWAYS seem to run into a massive pack of Violet Fungi in the reverse-L shape room starting at 16,28,12. The first time I poked my head in I nope'd the heck out. One time I tried to run through, hit the wrong arrow key on the corner, got trapped there for another 2 rounds longer than I had intended, and escaped with less than 100 hits left. Freaking fungi. That room was a half-decent shortcut between my north-side Pariah checks and my vague attempts to map out the crater on 13, hence why I visited it so many times, but now that I've mapped that out I feel no more need to step into that room ever again.

I had an interesting string of quests myself, a Tazen followed by a Water Watcher followed by a Phase Beast. Luckily Tazens are common af (though it was in my hunt for a Tazen that I came across two blue slimes before I found it), and I had the other two stocked in my confinement. Such a good feeling to be able to just "borrow" that vital quest reward, especially when it's rare.
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2019 Invision Power Services, Inc.