Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: mordor like game for iPhone
Braindead's Mordor Site - Return to Mordor: The Depths Of Dejenol > Mordor: The Depths Of Dejenol > Modding And Development
Pages: 1, 2, 3, 4
smiley
I'm making one!
but it is not mordor!

you walk around on a map like mordor (I'm more than 50% done with the first level)
I have been working on this for some time, and have a functioning combat system with either 1 or 2 monsters.
some mobs can crit, some can stun for 1 round, atm working on stealing gold.

there are many things i have not settled on yet, in regards to how complex the game is going to be.

I cannot wait to start painting all the monsters happy.gif

rb10c
looks good!
is this for iphone, or is it going to be a java based game, suitable for nearly all phones?
smiley
QUOTE (rb8f @ Jan 6 2011, 04:47 PM) *
looks good!
is this for iphone, or is it going to be a java based game, suitable for nearly all phones?

thanks.
I am coding in objective C, for iPhones

I have not looked into possibilities for expanding to other platforms, yet.
Danjen
Wow, those are some nice graphics. You do em yourself?
smiley
QUOTE (Danjen @ Jan 6 2011, 10:29 PM) *
Wow, those are some nice graphics. You do em yourself?

Thanks.

yes I drew everything in photoshop.
I'm finishing my bachelor of arts in CG art.

Direnar
That looks pretty sweet!
aardless
Wow that looks great! I have no idea how to make a cellphone game, how is that done?
Danjen
Actually one of my friends did an iPhone game - he used an app for the Mac called GameSalad, which is basic drag and drop stuff, but it was too restrictive for him. Next time he plans to use Java or C# I think (if it runs the latter, I have no idea)
smiley
QUOTE (aardless @ Jan 9 2011, 09:16 PM) *
Wow that looks great! I have no idea how to make a cellphone game, how is that done?

well I picked up an e-book called "programming in objective-C 2.0" read through most of it, and started this game as my first project.
I'm programming in xcode, which is a powerfull editor.

dont know how you would go about coding for android or other cellphones, but I guess its the same in essence, pickup the language and an editor.

otherwise you can sit on any platform, and use any 3d package and output for iphone (and maybe android) if you make your game in unity, and upgrade to pro version, its about 1.200 euro afaik.
edit: and unity understands C, java, python and other languages.
Narcissus04
This looks really great, I was just coming onto the boards to see if the 'Mordor for Iphone' thread was building at all.

Although I don't have an iphone...
smiley
QUOTE (Narcissus04 @ Jan 11 2011, 01:10 PM) *
Although I don't have an iphone...

apart from the contact list sorting options (or lack thereof) it's a great device happy.gif

I have been programming the inventory screen, and it is nearing and end
still need to add a necklace slot, and 2 ring slots somewhere,
mind the graphix, its just for development purposes.

Danjen
A fancy silhouette looks fine, too.
Narcissus04
I quite like the look of the simple graphics. That's what Mordor was about for me (or Mordoresque games I should say).

I don't doubt iPhones are good, but Android's are much cheaper wink.gif.

Am I assuming by the 'town' button that town functionality would be similar to the game?
rb10c
i agree, simple graphics are tops.
for some odd reason, too simple graphics, like roguelikes, i dont like.
smiley
the town button does indeed port you to the town interface when you are at the stairs, but at the moment it is empty wink.gif I'll be working on a bank and a shop next.

I too like simple graphix, and I'm constantly drawn back to pre-2000 games, allthough i allso play and enjoy games with complex graphics,
more often than not it seems to hurt the gameplay, or feel inadaquate as in "if you did this, then why not go further"

imo a full 3d game that has excellent gameplay and looks good (in comparison to date of release ofcourse) is gothic 2 and 1..
Narcissus04
I'm super interested in this project. Can you let us know what stage you are at, and what sort of things you are implementing?

Ie. Races, Guilds, Library, Bounties etc.
smiley
QUOTE (Narcissus04 @ Jan 14 2011, 03:20 PM) *
I'm super interested in this project. Can you let us know what stage you are at, and what sort of things you are implementing?

Ie. Races, Guilds, Library, Bounties etc.

thanks for your interrest,

I can tell you some of those things,
there will be different races, I have a list at home with the races I am considering, but it is not finalised. most of the races featured as playable in baldurs gate will be in this game as well.

I am in an early stage of the entire development, but I have passed the biggest step of actually producing something, which in my case usually means finishing it as well.
in two weeks I will be starting my internship at Ghost VFX so my sparetime will vary.

How guilds will be implemented is too early to say. I have been, and am, considering many alternatives.
rb10c
i am interested in this too, though i dont have an iphone...
implementing BG races will be interesting too! i look forward to having a chaotic evil human necromancer in mordor!
whatever you do about this project, as long as it gets finished *cough MXP* i'll be satisfied.

NB, not to be ungrateful about the MXP project, its just taken so long.
smiley
minor update

bank is nearly done, missing feature to deposit gold.
gonna be busy with a breakdown of my bachelor project the next week or so.

and regarding necromancers, rb8f
one of my class speculations is a priest, only able to be of evil alignment, restricted to blunt weapons (for causing internal bleedings to victems devil.gif ) and possibly able to ressurect up to 1 slain opponent as an animated companion, but no classes are set in stone, it is all just on the drawing board for later.

rb10c
ho about it being able to revive companions, but into a random undead, of an equal or lower level? thats a very necromanic way going about it. but the coding of that would have to be woven with higgs boson, i suppose.
Narcissus04
Really excited about this (despite still not having an iphone - android app perhaps wink.gif )

I think, because I failed at editing Mordor 2 that I am living through you.

Wouldn't a priest be able to be good - and be a healer?

Although I suppose then a healer, good priest who went around raising undead might be an issue.
smiley
QUOTE (rb8f @ Jan 20 2011, 12:08 AM) *
ho about it being able to revive companions, but into a random undead, of an equal or lower level? thats a very necromanic way going about it. but the coding of that would have to be woven with higgs boson, i suppose.

well that is not nessesary, if you loose your "animated enchanter" you can find another one, kill it and voilla. allso I like the idea of things not turning into just a skeleton or something, but turn into a dead version of itself with modified stats, more in line with the "revive" skill of diablos necromancer zombie.gif

QUOTE (Narcissus04)

not this priest, most likely the class will not have access to healing spells.
however there might be another class with healing spells.
aardless
It's great to see your progress, love the vault!
Never heard of Ghost VFX before, but after reviewing their site, they do gorgeous work, congrats on your internship!
cybertim
QUOTE (Narcissus04 @ Jan 20 2011, 01:30 AM) *
Really excited about this (despite still not having an iphone - android app perhaps wink.gif )

I think, because I failed at editing Mordor 2 that I am living through you.

Although I suppose then a healer, good priest who went around raising undead might be an issue.

hey pssst
I have made lots of progress on a mordor-like game for the Android devices, you can find some more info here.

rb10c
Good job. This looks really good.
Tis a shame i don't have an android phone (yet). Damn propriety OS's!
Narcissus04
Oh thank gosh, one for the Android too.

Let's make a rule that nobody needs to keep these things secret.
smiley
cool cybertim, nice that you chose not to ditch the 3d view.

I am making slow progress atm, halfway done with the shop though
all due to my bachelor thesis which has to be done in 2 weeks!

and thanks aardless, they are keeping me busy, but its very cool! gonna work on my first blockbuster movie in a few days yahoo.gif
Narcissus04
Forget yer thesis. Prioritise man!
smiley
Hi guys!
finally handed in my thesis, phew coffee.gif

So! I have time to do something that matters in life now x)

sniplet update:
implemented updated gfx for the iPhone 4 userbase. and then I bought one myself. blush2.gif

mega zoomed picture ::

smiley
character creator coding done,
keep in mind, everything is subject to change,
all portraits will probably be in a more painterly style.. races are more or less set in stone like this -guilds are not.

so far stats will be customizable by 3 points at creation, and further trainable at the guildmaster
when you meet the level requirements (much like drinking a potion in mordor)

thermopyle
I dunno about the number of races for a portable game. I'd suggest dropping it to few enough to fit on one screen--six, looks like. With a portable game it makes more sense for there to be fewer, more distinct choices.
smiley
QUOTE (thermopyle @ Mar 15 2011, 04:36 PM) *
I dunno about the number of races for a portable game. I'd suggest dropping it to few enough to fit on one screen--six, looks like. With a portable game it makes more sense for there to be fewer, more distinct choices.

i see your point, balancing between putting enough choices and diversity into the game, while keeping the game fit for phones, is something that I think about all the time.

but the races do fit on 1 screen as it is now. the guilds will as well. I think you mistook the second screen for being races happy.gif

thermopyle
I did indeed. smile.gif
Danjen
Probably been asked in this thread already, but what software are you using for this?
smiley
QUOTE (Danjen @ Mar 16 2011, 08:34 AM) *
Probably been asked in this thread already, but what software are you using for this?

hey

well I am writing the code in the editor called "xcode" and when you download it from apples site, you allso get an "interface builder" which is a program that connects your code to the buttons and other UI elements. and then I paint in adobe photoshop cs3.

and I'm really liking both the interface builder and Xcode
Moseley
Any updates on this? I've also been working on a mordor like game for android....

I got the persistent world thing sorted out, storing character and world state in a sqlite database, a map file format, and realtime ui w/ movement and sounds.

here is a screenshot of my map editor running in windows, and the game on the phone. artwork is definitely what I'm lacking. yours looks great.

hmm maybe we all need to work together on something?

Danjen
I am also working on something, although not an rpg or anything.

I've hit a problem with coding my walls... it's a 2d puzzle game, but what I want the walls to do is combine like in the image below. I realize that I have to check the nearby cells for what walls to use, but by my math, there's 54 different wall combinations! I'm looking for the most efficient way to have them work.

rb10c
Or, if possible, have two types of cells, floor and wall. The wall would be similar to the grid, the floor would be... erm... floor. Or, use a grid as wall or non-wall, like mordor did.

Erm, i think your maths is a bit off, i count 16, because the corner pieces are unnecessary.
Because, by having corner pieces, you have 3 variables, wall, corner and space. plus we have 4 directions and we have combinations of which.
by getting rid of the corners, we go down to 16 combos, which is: (NESW~ North, East, South and West, D is divider, C is clear (in case of three walls))
ND ED SD WD 4
NED ESD SWD NWD 4
EWD NSD 2
NC EC SC WC 4
Full, Empty 2

That may make little sense, but in your second picture, the 3rd, 4th, 7th, 8th, 11th, 12th, 15th and 16th cell are unneeded. They are the corner pieces.

In mathmatical terminology, by adding another variable, you exponentially increase the amount of results.

Hope this makes some sense, and helps.
korexus
Rawr, under the suggested system the corner bits would be necessary as walls are shown on the tiles on both sides of the wall. If you imagine the outside of a corner, there would be a little gap without these corner bits. (Also, technically, the addition of corner bits does not increase the amount of results exponentially. - As you hinted, the number of possible tiles is options^sides, 2^4 = 16 in the case of wall or no wall and 4 sides. Increasing the number of sides to a room would result in exponential growth as the exponent is changing. Increasing the number of options is "only" quartic growth.)

Anyway, got a little distracted there. Danjen, you could get the number of tiles down to 4 with a little rethink of where the walls go.

By making the wall part of the tile, you don't need to draw it on both of two adjacent tiles. Instead, draw the walls on the bottom and right hand sides of any tiles that have a wall. When the tiles are slid together you will get the same image as you currently have, it's just that the joins have been moved ever so slightly across and down. This also gets round the corner issue as the wall is entirely on one square, leaving you with 'clear', 'wall at bottom', 'wall on right' and 'wall at bottom and on right' as your four image types. (If you plan to use doors as Mordor did this will grow to 9 tiles, but that should still be manageable.)

Then put the tiles on a background image with a wall running along the top and left sides and you are done. :-)

(NB, if you want the Mordor fog of war effect then you are not quite done, but you should be able to work it out from here! :-P )

korexus.
smiley
QUOTE (Moseley @ May 14 2011, 06:42 AM) *
Any updates on this? I've also been working on a mordor like game for android....

sweet, keep it going and updating.

I myself have been busy working on movies and commercials, and finishing my Internship, which i just did, and got hired!
unfortunately, I have been spending allmost all my time at the studeo, so I haven't made much progress. I have made 3 seperate save slots for characters though, and it feels too little, so I may implement another save or two.

as for allocating the walls programmatically, I choose a different route, or I choose not to. I drew the map instead and move it around when the player "walks" in the coded map. I then have 3 types of rooms: wall, door, room. and the rooms are numbered according to what monsters spawn there, like yours seems to do Moseley.

I still havent really figured out how I will make fog of war ontop of my map, but i may just have all squares occupied by a fog square, and move them around with the map.

Danjen
For the fog of war, just have each tile have an explored variable, that draws it if's true, and ignored if false.
rb10c
ah, forgot doors, but that could be a condition, as opposed to a tileset.
Danjen
@Korexus - I get what you're trying to say, but it's lost on me.

Also, here's a screenshot of what I've got so far... like I said I want it to be a puzzle game, but what you do is choose a color, and then pressing the arrow keys affects the gravity of all the blocks of that color (so red affects red, orange, purple, and white blocks).
smiley
QUOTE (Danjen @ May 15 2011, 08:45 PM) *
For the fog of war, just have each tile have an explored variable, that draws it if's true, and ignored if false.

yes definately, but it is still (in my case ) 23 x 23 unique fog squares, that I need to store data for - times 9 levels.
I hope i can figure out something... less cumbersome. but I'm afraid theres no way around it.

QUOTE (rb10c)
ah, forgot doors, but that could be a condition, as opposed to a tileset.

it sure can.
rb10c
I overlooked the situation. Looks fine? All i have is the icy level of Chip's Challenge in my head...
smiley
regarding fog of war again:

it is many times more data than i thought..
23 x 23 x 9 = 4761

and what is mordor ... 30 x 30 x 15 ??

I must be overcomplicating this issue.. not_ok.gif
Danjen
When programming, I like to remember KISS:

Keep it simple, stupid!
korexus
@Smiley. The simplest way I've found with fog of war is to keep track of the visited squares. That keeps the size smaller overall (although the upper limit is still the same).

The version I am / was / will be making is set outside and so has different terrain types for each square. At that point you're storing the information anyway so there's no overhead. Even without that though, if you bung the values into a database, 5,000 rows is nothing - so long as you follow the Mordor route of one map for all players anyway. Keeping individual fog of war for each player could grow quite quickly!

@ Danjen. Having seen your screenshot, my suggestion probably won't work for you. I was considering a Mordor-like picture where the inside of a square is unchanged by the area around it and only the edge needs changing. The extra detail you have in the middle of each square adds an additional complication, and the different colours make shifting the edges more difficult.

Would it be possible for you to rotate and colour blocks on the fly? If so I think you could make do with 6 blocks (0 edges, 1 edge, 2 adjacent edges, 2 opposite edges, 3 edges and 4 edges). Otherwise you may be best placing blocks as you have them, then overlaying joining images where necessary. That will minimise the number of images, but will increase the complexity of coding.

korexus.
Danjen
I have it set up so that I could do the graphics in photoshop or something, with nice detailed textures or what not, and have the walls "snap" together to form a contiguous entity. Unfortunately, game maker is kinda iffy about coloring on the fly (I seem to lose a bit of color detail if I do), but rotation shouldn't be a problem.

I've figured that if I do a little math:
CODE
wallSum = (north * 1) + (east * 2) + (south * 4) + (west * 8)

I can then use that logic to generate a number from 0 to 15, exactly corresponding to the wall image index. The problem comes with adding the corner squares ... that pushes the combinations up to either 32 (too small) or 64 (too much).

I'm not too worried about it at this point... it's just one of those graphical polishes, but it would be nice to have at the end.
rb10c
Well, what mordor done was have a "map explored" file, (probably having 0 for unexplored, 1 for recently explored and 2 for explored) and a separate map file. In the whole mordor game, there are 13500 cells (30*30*15) and the "map explored" gives a 0, 1, or 2. So, 1, 1, 1 - 0 from which, the application references what map square and its condition. Size wise, ~12 bytes per column, 13500 column, go figure. Thats 158kb to my maths, MDATA8 is 135 kb... hmm... I forget if that is even the map file.
Unless its 1/1/1/0, then it's 8 bytes per column, totaling to 105kb plus formatting.

Why did I do sll this maths? I should be revising for my exams!
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2019 Invision Power Services, Inc.