Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: The Money Challenge
Braindead's Mordor Site - Return to Mordor: The Depths Of Dejenol > Mordor: The Depths Of Dejenol > Mordor Challenges
Pages: 1, 2, 3, 4
Crashland
Here are the rules of this challenge:

The goal of this ever-lasting (meaning there is no annoying time limit to obstruct the fun of this challenge) challenge is to amass as much loot as you can, but without starting a party or using the bank or the morgue! By the way, you need to start a new, solo character. Have fun! laugh.gif

You may:

Start a single character of any race, alignment, name (please keep it appropriate, though), gender, or any number of guild(s)

Heal yourself using ONLY the character you are using for this challenge

Open any chests you find, but if you die, it's game over

Sell any items you find, if you wish to do so

Charm monsters to use as companions

Accept offers from monsters to join you

Sell said companions to holding and confinement

Use stat-improving items

You may NOT:

Cheat in any way

Start a party

Use the bank (that includes the items storage in the bank -- just to make things more interesting sneaky.gif )

Receive any help from another character

You may not ever die -- if you do so, your character is no longer qualified to participate in this challenge

When you post the results of your partaking in this challenge, you must put it in this format:

Name: Bob
Race: Human
Alignment: Neutral
Levels: 30 Nomad, 10 Warrior, 10 Healer, 10 thief
Dead: no
Stats: 18 Strength, 18 Intelligence, 18 Wisdom, 18 Constitution, 20 Charisma, 20 Dexterity
Gold: (insert amount of gold here)
Crashland
Please participate in this challenge. At the very least, provide some commentary. By the way, all versions of Mordor will be allowed participation in this challenge. However, please give your version of Mordor in your post, whether it be Mordor 1.1 full version, Mordor 1.1 shareware version, Mordor 2 version 98b, Mordor 2 Version 992b, Infinite Worlds, Demise, etc.
Twilight *slayer*
to bad ill be gone

but good luck!
Crashland
Because no one has participated in this challenge, I have decided to take matters into my own hands by participating in it myself. Have to lead by example, I suppose.

Name: Gunthor
Levels: 1 Nomad, 3 Warrior
Dead: No
Stats: 17 Strength, 10 Intelligence, 10 Wisdom, 10 Constitution, 5 Charisma, 12 Dexterity
Gold: 318
Demise Build 353, Unregistered Version

It's pathetic, I know, but its still a pretty good start.
Twilight *slayer*
guess whos back =D

Name: pay check
Levels: 2 Nomad
Stats: 11 Strength, 11 Intelligence, 11 Wisdom, 15 Constitution, 5 Charisma, 11 Dexterity
Gold: 64,111
mordor 1.1 full

lvl 2 nomad with 64,111 from a tome, now thats an example >.< *glares at crashland*
Crashland
QUOTE (Twilight *slayer* @ Jun 30 2009, 11:09 PM) *
lvl 2 nomad with 64,111 from a tome, now thats an example >.< *glares at crashland*

Keep in mind, Demise and Mordor 1.1 have completely different amounts of gold. Gold is worth more in Demise than in Mordor 1.1, so one is bound to have less of it when playing Demise and not Mordor. It's also substantially harder to earn money in Demise, especially when you cannot run the risk of dying or get help from another character. You didn't count on that, did you?
Twilight *slayer*
nope >.< i hope im not the only one in 1.1 doing this =/

and what is demise build?
Crashland
QUOTE (Twilight *slayer* @ Jul 1 2009, 09:59 PM) *
nope >.< i hope im not the only one in 1.1 doing this =/

Right now, we appear to be the only ones participating at all! Oh well.. Perhaps more people will show up, soon enough...

EDIT: By the way, there is no "Demise Build". Build 353 is simply a version number.
Twilight *slayer*
so are you using xp? i thought that wasnt even out for a download yet
Crashland
QUOTE (Twilight *slayer* @ Jul 1 2009, 11:02 PM) *
so are you using xp? i thought that wasnt even out for a download yet

If by "xp", you mean Mordor XP, absolutely not, as it is not yet available for download. I am using Demise, and it is very different than Mordor XP. If you want, go to Decklin's Domain for more information.
Twilight *slayer*
oh ok i thought this was mordor xp demise

btw is changing a slaves nature cheating?

i would think it is
Crashland
QUOTE (Twilight *slayer* @ Jul 2 2009, 12:23 PM) *
oh ok i thought this was mordor xp demise

btw is changing a slaves nature cheating?

i would think it is

Yes, as a matter of fact, it is. Of course, if you cheat, your character is no longer qualified to participate in this challenge. Cheating only manages to take the fun out of the game, anyway.
Twilight *slayer*
well i wish we would start this challenge again because i need a charicter to pull my best one out of the wall laugh.gif
Crashland
QUOTE (Twilight *slayer* @ Aug 23 2009, 05:52 AM) *
well i wish we would start this challenge again because i need a charicter to pull my best one out of the wall laugh.gif

You do recall that this is a challenge with no time limit, do you not? I would be happy to start this challenge as soon as more people actually show up.
TimothyXL
I think I may join... But what are we using? Demise? Or Mordor?
Crashland
QUOTE (TimothyXL @ Oct 22 2009, 02:51 PM) *
I think I may join... But what are we using? Demise? Or Mordor?

Both are allowed, but they will be compared separately. At the moment, though, It is going to be pretty easy to beat the current records, considering the startling lack of activity in this topic. The more people that participate, the more people want to do so themselves. So, be my guest. Join us.
TimothyXL
Tomorrow I'll try to post my stats. I'm playing a Dwarf named "Digger". And I've lost over 40.000 Gold to thieves with magically locked chests.

Catch ya later.
ranagrande
OK, I have decided to enter this now too.

Name: Velkro
Race: Gnome
Alignment: Evil
Levels: Nomad 7
Stats: 10 Strength, 10 Intelligence, 10 Wisdom, 16 Constitution, 9 Charisma, 11 Dexterity
Gold: 153,775

Mordor 1.1 full
fhqwegads
Me too!

Name: Fafnir
Race: Giant
Levels: Nomad 1, Warrior 7
Stats: 17 Strength, 10 Intelligence, 10 Wisdom, 19 Constitution, 3 Charisma, 10 Dexterity
Gold: 71,060

Mordor 1.1 full

I had to start this one twice because I had some bad luck and got nailed in about the 4th room I went in and died, laugh.gif. I assure you this one is legit though wink.gif. I had over 400k but I invested in some gear rather than have it stolen right away tongue.gif.
Crashland
QUOTE (fhqwegads @ Oct 23 2009, 12:34 PM) *
Me too!

Levels: Nomad 1, Warrior 7
Stats: 17 Strength, 10 Intelligence, 10 Wisdom, 19 Constitution, 3 Charisma, 10 Dexterity
Gold: 71,060

Mordor 1.1 full

I had to start this one twice because I had some bad luck and got nailed in about the 4th room I went in and died, laugh.gif . I assure you this one is legit though wink.gif . I had over 400k but I invested in some gear rather than have it stolen right away tongue.gif .

Well, you have to spend some to earn some, after all. By the way, it is preferred that you give a story or explanation of how you gained your wealth.

This is supposed to be very challenging, and I believe I have accomplished that. Spoilers of any kind are not allowed here (in this topic), either.

So far, it seems that Ranagrande is in the lead, with a gold amount of 153,775! Can anybody take his place?
ranagrande
QUOTE (Crashland @ Oct 23 2009, 05:21 PM) *
Well, you have to spend some to earn some, after all. By the way, it is preferred that you give a story or explanation of how you gained your wealth.

This is supposed to be very challenging, and I believe I have accomplished that. Spoilers of any kind are not allowed here (in this topic), either.

So far, it seems that Ranagrande is in the lead, with a gold amount of 153,775! Can anybody take his place?

Hrm... is it really possible to do a story or explanation without spoilers of any kind? I can certainly explain myself though. When I first started out, I hacked my way through two rooms full of slaves, who gave me quite a bit of gold. Then I met a kobold who stole almost all of it. I persevered, however, and it wasn't long before I had several "potion"s, a "tome", and some "gloves", which brought me up to the current amount.

I am looking forward to seeing someone overtake me. I will just play some more until I can be the leader again. tongue.gif
fhqwegads
QUOTE (ranagrande @ Oct 23 2009, 10:18 PM) *
Then I met a kobold who stole almost all of it.

You mean footpad? Kobold's can't steal tongue.gif.

Yeah I amassed everything from tomes and artifacts. My guys so dumb he can't even tell what stuff is, laugh.gif. I will likely play this guy again in a few days but I have family visiting this weekend.

EDIT: Ok before I went to bed I decided to do a quick run, which netted me 5 tomes among other cheaper stuff. Here are my new results:

Levels: Nomad 1, Warrior 11
Gold: 699,349
Mordor 1.1 full
ranagrande
QUOTE (fhqwegads @ Oct 24 2009, 02:34 AM) *
You mean footpad? Kobold's can't steal tongue.gif.

You're right! I was pretty sure that it said it was a Kobold, but I probably misidentified it.

So anyway, I had a few minor setbacks. Velkro went after the Aboleth when he wasn't quite ready for it and got pwnt. I recreated him and promptly died again on my first trip into the dungeon. But as they say, the third time's the charm. The new and improved Velkro is now in an excellent position.

I spent the first few hundred thousand gold (almost all of it from a stat potion) I was able to find on upgrades, so Velkro is much better equipped than his predecessors. Then it was time to run around slaughtering things. I did this until I filled my item inventory. Before selling everything, I had 442,031 in gold from monsters (both from killing them and from selling the few that were foolish enough to join me.) I also had quite a nice collection of items, including several tomes, some Initiate's Hands, and some Ulsik Plate Mail. So now I will rest and enjoy my new-found riches until someone overtakes me again.

Levels: Nomad 16
Stats: 10 Strength, 10 Intelligence, 10 Wisdom, 17 Constitution, 9 Charisma, 8 Dexterity
Gold: 2,722,403
Mordor 1.1 full

fhqwegads
Geez ranagrande, I guess I got some work to do, laugh.gif. I'll catch up in a couple days when my family leaves, don't you worry tongue.gif.
Crashland
As the host of this challenge, I must say that Ranagrande is absolutely dominating the competition! He now has a staggering 2,722,403 gold! Will this be the end for everyone else, or will a bold, new challenger arise and steal his title?

(I really like narrating my event)
Danjen
Hm, this was harder than it looks. Of course, I got greedy and tried to take out the slavers on level 2 and got destroyed by a green slime on the way (well, I ran into trouble on my escape).

Name: Krush
Level: 11 Nomad
Dead: Yes
Stats: 24 Strength, 4 Intelligence, 3 Wisdom, 19 Constitution, 2 Charisma, 17 Dexterity
Gold: 98,527

I was finding quite a few potions and tomes which let me get some very nice stuff (iron hammer, nugena gauntlets, boots of speed, dorlan's sash, etc). I focused mostly on +def gear. My plan was to be as tankish as possible and build a large pool of life and defence, but obviously I messed that up. happy.gif
Crashland
What's this, folks? A new challenger has arrived! Will he fare well in his second attempt, or will Ranagrande continue to put everyone to shame?

Stay tuned! ok.gif

(By the way, you are not actually using the bank, are you, Ranagrande? Because that will get you disqualified!)
grobblewobble
I've given it a shot. First of all, I did a completely fresh reinstall of mordor in a separate directory. Of course I never used the bank and I also decided not to forfeit any quests, because of the existence of the forfeit quest cheat.

He now looks like this (I don't have the exact stats with me):

name: YASD
male osiri
nomad(8) healer(7)
stats 10/14/14/8/7/15
gold: over 7.500.000
DEAD

He was lucky to find a good number of stat potions and even a war hammer, which got him a good amount of gold. The nomad guild had quested him for a green ooze, which was not so lucky. These things are hard to find on the first floor and the second floor, where they are often seen as the companions of green slimes, was still too hard for him at this point.

I should have paid closer attention. He died because he was poisoned and/or diseased when I went for a cup of tea. laugh.gif
barklight
Oh my! I'm entering the contest XD

I'm on Demise 1.03 / build 496. I don't even have a character yet!

I'm extracting it from my ipod onto my work PC, so it's gonna be a fresh install... Nothing in the general store to pimp out my character tongue.gif

Will update once I've gotten into the fray.
ranagrande
Nope, no banking for me. I read the rules. smile.gif

At first I always ran away from monsters that could steal, but they don't scare me anymore. I'm high enough level now that I hardly ever get robbed, and when I do it's only for about five thousand gold, even though I'm carrying millions. Of course I'm sure that will change when and if I start going deeper in the dungeon.

I was planning on spending a bunch of it on raising stats, but with the new threat from grobblewobble, realigning tomes is a luxury I cannot afford. So I don't meet the requirements for any of the guilds I wanted to join yet. tongue.gif I really need to start finding some evil tomes of something besides charisma.

Levels: Nomad 33
Stats: 10 Strength, 10 Intelligence, 10 Wisdom, 17 Constitution, 13 Charisma, 8 Dexterity
Gold: 8,011,242
Mordor 1.1 full
barklight
rofl.gif @ attempt #1, Floor slime got me. Starting new character, but here's round one:

Name: Velina
Race: Elf
Alignment: Neutural
Levels: Nomad 4
Dead: Yes
Stats: 12 Strength, 10 Intelligence, 10 Wisdom, 14 Constitution, 10 Charisma, 14 Dexterity
Gold: 327
Demise 1.03 build 496
Danjen
QUOTE (ranagrande @ Oct 27 2009, 02:07 PM) *
I was planning on spending a bunch of it on raising stats, but with the new threat from grobblewobble, realigning tomes is a luxury I cannot afford.
But his dude is dead, so unless he rolls another one at least as rich as his first attempt, you have an 8m gold leeway over him to upgrade stuff tongue.gif
fhqwegads
Ugh sorry guys I'm out of this one, laugh.gif. I got careless and died so now I'm speed leveling him to catch up to my other two guys to round out my party a bit tongue.gif. One Warrior/Seeker, one Warrior/Thief/Healer, and one Ninja/Villain ^^.
Nexus
Name: Bletchley
Alignment: Good
Levels: Nomad 34, Scavenger 9
Stats: 11 Strength, 12 Intelligence, 10 Wisdom, 13 Constitution, 15 Charisma, 14 Dexterity
Gold: 1,237,745
Mordor 1.1
Crashland
QUOTE (grobblewobble @ Oct 27 2009, 04:05 AM) *
I've given it a shot. First of all, I did a completely fresh reinstall of mordor in a separate directory. Of course I never used the bank and I also decided not to forfeit any quests, because of the existence of the forfeit quest cheat.

He now looks like this (I don't have the exact stats with me):

name: YASD
male osiri
nomad(8) healer(7)
stats 10/14/14/8/7/15
gold: over 7.500.000
DEAD

He was lucky to find a good number of stat potions and even a war hammer, which got him a good amount of gold. The nomad guild had quested him for a green ooze, which was not so lucky. These things are hard to find on the first floor and the second floor, where they are often seen as the companions of green slimes, was still too hard for him at this point.

I should have paid closer attention. He died because he was poisoned and/or diseased when I went for a cup of tea. laugh.gif

Look out folks; it would appear that Grobblewobble, the amazingly skilled Mordor player, has come into this humble challenge, and yet he seems to be off to a bad start!

(By the way, I require exact numbers. You have been warned)

QUOTE (barklight @ Oct 27 2009, 05:56 AM) *
Oh my! I'm entering the contest XD

I'm on Demise 1.03 / build 496. I don't even have a character yet!

I'm extracting it from my ipod onto my work PC, so it's gonna be a fresh install... Nothing in the general store to pimp out my character tongue.gif

Will update once I've gotten into the fray.

Good luck, challenger. Hopefully, more Demise players will show up.

QUOTE (ranagrande @ Oct 27 2009, 07:07 AM) *
Nope, no banking for me. I read the rules. smile.gif

At first I always ran away from monsters that could steal, but they don't scare me anymore. I'm high enough level now that I hardly ever get robbed, and when I do it's only for about five thousand gold, even though I'm carrying millions. Of course I'm sure that will change when and if I start going deeper in the dungeon.

I was planning on spending a bunch of it on raising stats, but with the new threat from grobblewobble, realigning tomes is a luxury I cannot afford. So I don't meet the requirements for any of the guilds I wanted to join yet. tongue.gif I really need to start finding some evil tomes of something besides charisma.

Levels: Nomad 33
Stats: 10 Strength, 10 Intelligence, 10 Wisdom, 17 Constitution, 13 Charisma, 8 Dexterity
Gold: 8,011,242
Mordor 1.1 full

What a sight to behold, ladies and gentlemen! The leader Ranagrande feels threatened by the advance of Grobblewobble and is aggressively trying to defend his title! Will this new-found carelessness cost him his spot on first place?

QUOTE (fhqwegads @ Oct 27 2009, 11:08 PM) *
Ugh sorry guys I'm out of this one, laugh.gif . I got careless and died so now I'm speed leveling him to catch up to my other two guys to round out my party a bit tongue.gif . One Warrior/Seeker, one Warrior/Thief/Healer, and one Ninja/Villain ^^.

Parties are not allowed! I am afraid I am going to have to disqualify you until either you adequately explain yourself or start over!

What will happen next? Who will enter this challenge? Who will be caught cheating and disqualified?

Stay tuned! ok.gif
Nudibranch
QUOTE (Crashland @ Oct 28 2009, 04:46 PM) *
Parties are not allowed! I am afraid I am going to have to disqualify you until either you adequately explain yourself or start over!

I had to read fhqwegads' post a few times before I came to the conclusion that he decided to transfer the character that died into his regular party.

For what it's worth, I've started in on the challenge. My first attempt died before Nomad 10; my second attempt is currently at Nomad 21 with less than a million gold. I'm carrying around a few half-identified tomes in the hopes of getting my stats high enough to join Warrior or Thief.

Incidentally, I started with a clean install each time.
fhqwegads
QUOTE (Nudibranch @ Oct 28 2009, 02:30 PM) *
I had to read fhqwegads' post a few times before I came to the conclusion that he decided to transfer the character that died into his regular party.

Yeah Nudibranch got it right, laugh.gif, sorry for the ambiguity, but you don't have to disqualify me because I dropped out. What I was saying is that I have a party that I'm working on atm and I want my character from this challenge to join that party. Good luck everyone!
Crashland
QUOTE (fhqwegads @ Oct 29 2009, 12:14 PM) *
Yeah Nudibranch got it right, laugh.gif , sorry for the ambiguity, but you don't have to disqualify me because I dropped out.

I did not disqualify you because you dropped out. I disqualified you because you put your character in a party. Furthermore, I said that you were disqualified until you adequately explained yourself or started over. You must start over to be able to participate again.
Nudibranch
Update on my entry:

Nomad 30
Warrior 36
Thief 1 yahoo.gif

Str 20
Int 20
Wis 19
Con 24
Cha 13
Dex 23

Hits: 291

Died: 0

Gold: 900,983 (just spent 7.5m to join the Thief's Guild)

I've been playing this character like I would any other, trying to maximize hits, boost stats, get the best equipment, round out guild abilities. Joining the Thief's guild is a real milestone -- next I'll go after Sorcerer for resistances and offensive spells, then Seeker so I can Displace out of hot water.

Carrying around 30 half-identified tomes is a real pain in the ass.
Danjen
You could try biting the bullet and sell maybe 5 of them to get the rest ID'd?
Nudibranch
QUOTE (Danjen @ Oct 30 2009, 12:55 AM) *
You could try biting the bullet and sell maybe 5 of them to get the rest ID'd?

You definitely have to sell some of them to have the money to ID/alignment change the rest. But buying them back from the store is super-expensive, so avoid that as much as you can. And you want to combine as many as you can before you change their alignment to save additional money.

Meanwhile, another update: Thief is now up to 22, Sorcerer is at 12, and gold is at 15,832,540. happy.gif (Just found and sold my first Aard.) Got careless against the Goblins for a moment there -- got back home with only 1/4 of my HP left. "No dying" is definitely the most challenging part of this, um, challenge.

Now I'm gonna go get me some Pelagon throwdown.
Crashland
QUOTE (Nudibranch @ Oct 29 2009, 11:29 PM) *
Meanwhile, another update: Thief is now up to 22, Sorcerer is at 12, and gold is at 15,832,540. happy.gif (Just found and sold my first Aard.) Got careless against the Goblins for a moment there -- got back home with only 1/4 of my HP left. "No dying" is definitely the most challenging part of this, um, challenge.

Now I'm gonna go get me some Pelagon throwdown.

Try to keep the spoilers to a minimum, please. Good luck, though!
Nudibranch
ranagrande
QUOTE (Nudibranch @ Oct 30 2009, 04:40 PM) *

I think you win. tongue.gif
Kingkirki_49
QUOTE (ranagrande @ Oct 30 2009, 06:12 PM) *

dude i can get way over that if i tried hard enough. then again it would be hard till you get to a higher level

laugh.gif a lil hint for you there are really good items you can make millions off of on level 8 and deeper
Nudibranch
QUOTE (ranagrande @ Oct 30 2009, 06:12 PM) *

It's pretty smooth sailing once you get a character's stats up and guilds rounded out. A huge jump in funds happens once you get Int+Wis and guild level to the point where you can fully identify items -- about 32 (Int+Wis combined) and level 35. If you get strong enough to safely navigate dungeon level 4, tens of millions will roll in.

I'm gonna see how far I can take this. I've never played an "Iron Man" game (no deaths). Losses to thieving monsters is a non-issue at present, given my A/D, thieving skill, and willingness to bitchslap Acid Spray anything that comes near my pockets. whip.gif
Danjen
QUOTE (Nudibranch @ Oct 31 2009, 12:43 AM) *
I'm gonna see how far I can take this. I've never played an "Iron Man" game (no deaths). Losses to thieving monsters is a non-issue at present, given my A/D, thieving skill, and willingness to bitchslap Acid Spray anything that comes near my pockets. whip.gif
Posts like these just show how awesome some people are.
Nudibranch
Update: 132,783,400 gold.

Just survived my first encounter with Giant Leeches, which is what I've been fearing every time I stepped onto level 4. There'll be plenty of things that may kill me yet. I need to join Healer already -- so far I've just been rushing back to town every time my hits dip below 200.

This challenge is basically a stricter variety of Keltosh's perfect game, with the added restrictions of no parties and no use of the bank. Considering how badly Keltosh and Mongo fared once they reached the bottom levels with parties, I strongly doubt I'll get to 15 before dying. Heck, I'll probably blunder into something unsurvivable long, long before that.

This would be so much easier using a Legacy character wearing my 14 BoMs. happy.gif
Danjen
What are your guild levels at? Thats quite a bit of life..
Crashland
Stay to the format I gave you, people! No exceptions! Read the first post of this topic for more information.
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2019 Invision Power Services, Inc.