IPB

Welcome Guest ( Log In | Register )

Reply to this topicStart new topic
> How to Play Mordor on Windows 7 Home Premium (No Partitioning Required)
Crunch
post Jul 31 2012, 05:57 PM
Post #1

Explorer

Group: Members
Member No.: 6,039
referrer:Google

Hey guys,

Been a while since I posted here, but thought I'd share this link: http://www.zeropaid.com/news/101789/guide-...7-home-premium/

Very easy to follow guide with loads of pictures and it has a proof of concept picture towards the end showing Mordor is working properly.

Hope you enjoy the guide I wrote. happy.gif
Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post
aardless
post Aug 6 2012, 04:53 PM
Post #2

Goblin Shaman at work (used to be: on strike...)

Group: Admin
Member No.: 18
referrer::yahoo:

Pretty good, I particularly liked the Windows 3.1 installing, as I don't have it, in fact I don't remember ever seeing it being installed before. ok.gif I updated the sticky with a link to this post and changed all the URLs from mordor.uni.cc to dejenol.com while I was at it.

--------------------
If money doesn't grow on trees, why is it that banks have branches? - sig of a guy on a chinese forum

Most off-topic topics are off-topic - fart642000

+Quote Post
Crunch
post Aug 13 2012, 06:04 AM
Post #3

Explorer

Cool. Glad people are liking it.

Yeah, I don't even remember the installation process of Windows 3.1 since I was such a youngin' back when it was one of THE OS's to use. As I was installing it, I seemed to get a huge rush of deja-vu like I once watched the process of installing something like this. The second I saw file manager, I was like, "Whoa! Talk about nostalgia!"

I don't see why this shouldn't work on Vista. I think the key thing is if Dosbox runs on Vista (which it should). Everything else runs completely internally through the Win 3.1 files on your hard drive. In fact, I'm almost half tempted to believe that this could work on Mac and Free/Open Source OS's like Linux too. Of course, I can only test this on the many OS's I have access to and I only have two machines in Windows 7 and a Windows XP machine that is sitting in a make-shift storage part of my place as I don't have the room to set up a third machine ATM.

+Quote Post
aardless
post Aug 18 2012, 04:03 PM
Post #4

Goblin Shaman at work (used to be: on strike...)

Group: Admin
Member No.: 18
referrer::yahoo:

Heh, I don't think I had a PC back then when 3.1 was out. I started out with 95, IIRC.
The sentence about Vista in the sticky was already there, I think Dosbox requires a 32 bits OS still. Or at least it did when I wrote that post, I guess I should clarify it works on Vista 32 bits but probably not on 64 bits. I wasn't aware of it, but apparently there's a DOSbox version for Macs now, but likewise I think it only works on 32 bits systems.

--------------------
If money doesn't grow on trees, why is it that banks have branches? - sig of a guy on a chinese forum

Most off-topic topics are off-topic - fart642000

+Quote Post
Timdog364
post Sep 15 2012, 03:27 AM
Post #5

Apprentice

Member No.: 6,533
referrer:A link in google

Would it be easier just to emulate windows 3.1? Rather than installing it. Or would that not work for this?

+Quote Post
Crunch
post Sep 16 2012, 05:48 PM
Post #6

Explorer

QUOTE (Timdog364 @ Sep 15 2012, 03:27 AM) *
Would it be easier just to emulate windows 3.1? Rather than installing it. Or would that not work for this?

That's sort of what this is doing actually.

What this method amounts to is manually building a Windows 3.1 emulator. Dosbox emulates the old DOS environment so old 16 bit programs can run. Windows 3.1 operated within a DOS environment (Windows 95 does not), so you are installing Windows 3.1 within an emulated Dos environment. You end up with almost a turducken system. You have a Windows operating system operating within an emulated DOS system running within a modern 64 bit Windows system.

You could theoretically have all the files in a simple folder as if you installed Windows in a folder and move it to wherever you are going to point Dosbox to, but the chances of being able to obtain those files like that is much smaller than finding the installation files (which is why the installation process was shown - at least the most complicated version to cover all the basis)

I can easily see it being possible to create a standalone Windows 3.1 emulator, but I'm not aware of one that's in existence. Until someone has the guts to build and distribute one, running one through Dosbox, virtual machine or partitioned hard drive are about the next best things.

On a side note, I've only ran across one bug in this whole process. If you're running this off of a laptop and you can scroll a window with the touch-mouse, Windows 3.1 can't handle it and it'll cause the mouse to freeze. The solution is hitting Alt+Tab and switching to a window that covers up the whole Dosbox screen, minimizing it, switching back to Dosbox, clicking within a screen and (if it does a freakout of making the dinging noise quickly) click around a little and it'll stop and you can resume normally.

Another note is that you can't hold down shift and down to try and figure out where you are. You have to just manually go back and forth with the arrow keys as you can only do one quick turn around with the shift button at a time. Beyond that, no problems to be had. happy.gif

+Quote Post

Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 1st November 2014 - 06:31 AM
Bridged By IpbWiki: Integration Of Invision Power Board and MediaWiki © GlobalSoft
Copyrights and Credits