Mordion
post Jan 14 2019, 12:43 AM
Post #101

Wanderer

Group: Members Plus
Member No.: 3,924
referrer:google

QUOTE (BLauritson @ Jan 13 2019, 02:09 PM) *
I've noticed the same - when I was grinding DL 1 for my early levels occasionally there would be a set of rooms I hadn't accessed for some time that were still empty, even though the rest of the dungeon level had respawned two or three times already.

I guess there's a rare bug in the respawning code?

The #1 cause of empty rooms is that the game doesn't know what day it is. If you clear a room at 9:00pm 3 years ago and it's 9:00pm today the room will still be empty. There's also some variance in the room respawn times. There's probably some other weird bugs too.

On days that I don't have time to really play, I'll camp outside Mother of Serpent's room and log in every half hour or so for a single kill. Some times it will be nearly an hour before she respawns. Other days she respawns like clockwork.
Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post
fischsemmel
post Jan 14 2019, 02:56 PM
Post #102

Vagabond

Member No.: 6,580
referrer:Search engine

Well, this morning my 24th pariah coughed up my 7th blessing. I'm at 599 defense as a seeker, with still 16 more defense to gain from seeker a/d... and more defense pending when I find gloves of doom, and boots of the elven lords... and the defense from ring of splendour since usually I just wear ring of teleport.

I'm very close to going looking for the boss man. But I'm not quite bored enough of just leveling and searching for these last few items yet, so it's still on hold for a bit while I level seeker some more and burn up some of the 104 charges of lightning blades I have in my bank... laugh.gif

I did have another death recently, again to high priestess and destroyer. I got paralyzed in the first round and they killed me before it wore off! Im starting to hate those two, because 9 times it'll be trivial and then the 10th time I get wrecked.

This post has been edited by fischsemmel: Jan 14 2019, 02:59 PM

+Quote Post
Roland
post Jan 14 2019, 04:25 PM
Post #103

Voyager

Member No.: 8,408
referrer:Google

I think the game will delay respawning a region of the dungeon if you leave too many encounters incomplete - i.e., if you attack but do not kill all the monsters, or if you leave an unopened box. I typically run into this problem when I leave a lot of unopened slime-trap boxes (since I rarely open them). Once there were so many slime traps sitting around that I stripped my thief and started opening them. Before I got to the last one, the level repopulated and my naked thief was vulnerable!

+Quote Post
Mordion
post Jan 15 2019, 02:21 AM
Post #104

Wanderer

QUOTE (Roland @ Jan 14 2019, 11:25 AM) *
I think the game will delay respawning a region of the dungeon if you leave too many encounters incomplete - i.e., if you attack but do not kill all the monsters, or if you leave an unopened box. I typically run into this problem when I leave a lot of unopened slime-trap boxes (since I rarely open them). Once there were so many slime traps sitting around that I stripped my thief and started opening them. Before I got to the last one, the level repopulated and my naked thief was vulnerable!

I just did some research. The formula is
respawnTime = 20min + 5min * currentFloor/2 + 5s * numberOfSpawnedAreasOnCurrentFloor
minimum 2 minutes.

If the room is empty then it's +-respawnTime from the time the room was emptied.
If the room still has monsters/treasure its 2* +-respawnTime from the time the room was spawned.
+- because of Quirk 2

Quirks:
1. The game doesn't know what day it is so if you show up the same time another day they won't respawn.
2. The game checks abs(Timer - referenceTime) so if you show up 23 hours and 40 minutes later (-20 minutes) the room won't respawn.
3. A side effect of the previous bug is that any room spawned after 12:20am respawn at midnight.
4. the game treats time 0 (midnight to the second) as unititialized so if you clear a room at exactly midnight it will respawn the next time you visit.

+Quote Post
fischsemmel
post Jan 15 2019, 03:13 PM
Post #105

Vagabond

QUOTE (Mordion @ Jan 14 2019, 09:21 PM) *
I just did some research. The formula is
respawnTime = 20min + 5min * currentFloor/2 + 5s * numberOfSpawnedAreasOnCurrentFloor
minimum 2 minutes.

If the room is empty then it's +-respawnTime from the time the room was emptied.
If the room still has monsters/treasure its 2* +-respawnTime from the time the room was spawned.
+- because of Quirk 2

Quirks:
1. The game doesn't know what day it is so if you show up the same time another day they won't respawn.
2. The game checks abs(Timer - referenceTime) so if you show up 23 hours and 40 minutes later (-20 minutes) the room won't respawn.
3. A side effect of the previous bug is that any room spawned after 12:20am respawn at midnight.
4. the game treats time 0 (midnight to the second) as unititialized so if you clear a room at exactly midnight it will respawn the next time you visit.

Goofy.

There's more quirks to it than this though. For example, one of the small areas near the south-east stairs from 13 down to 14 respawns in only minutes for me. I clear 13, some of 14, go to town, come back and that area is respawned without fail when everything else is down. I run past a few minutes later, it has new monsters even though I didn't touch the old ones. Etc. laugh.gif

Odd that the game doesn't know the day for dungeon spawning since it does track the day for character stats and library stats and such.

+Quote Post
fischsemmel
post Jan 15 2019, 04:59 PM
Post #106

Vagabond

I just "won" the game!

Last night I outfitted my guy as a seeker with a cap of death and shadow axe and started poking into all the level 15 stud rooms. I checked them all twice but nothing special. Then I got annoyed at having to switch to seeker and change my gear around every time I wanted to try those rooms, since I had been leveling healer more and I don't normally use some of the gear I decided to wear going after the big guys either... so I told myself I'd peek in as I just normally was doing my pariah rooms and take my chances.

This morning I went through them one round with nothing special. But just now I ran into asmo and his flame devil hosts! I knew it was a room he could be in but his graphic still surprised me, and I misclicked paralyzing death instead of word of death (casted version, SL 139 because I usually am wearing helm of knowledge not cap of death). Fortunately that still wiped out the flame devils. I ran out of the room, nearly unscathed. 4 more times I charged in, hurled a WOD, and backed out to heal, and that was enough to fell the big guy. 6 million gold for my effort, laugh.gif

It was a bit anti-climactic really. He cast on me 2-3 of the 5 rounds he had, and go figure burning air and whatever aren't very scary against 95% resists. His biggest crit was under 300. I don't think I even got aged (but I need to check, I'm not sure). If I'd gone in with the cap of death, I probably could have just gone toe to toe with him. I probably was a little lucky, but yeah, it was pretty easy! 999 hp, just over 600 defense for me. I think he rolled low hits and/or I had better-than-average wod damage rolls.

Trying to decide now if I want to make up a gnome mage for my osiri to mentor, or if I want to keep looking for some more loot and the demon prince (whom I'm sure will be much more dangerous for me especially if I am still without companions) before I close the book on this guy being a pure soloer.

Edit - death list from nomad 1 through dead asmo at 400ish seeker, 350ish sorcerer, 300ish thief, 260ish healer: green slime on the way to slavers when I shouldn't have been down there yet, teleporting above the city once and it killing me twice through some weird bug, stoned once on level 8, rocked once on level 12, a few deaths to gargantuans, 2-3 deaths to destroyer of the deep. That's about all of them anyway, I think it was 12 all told. I woulda liked to do it in like, only a few, but most of them were from lack of close attention when I was just zipping along only half watching as I also watched TV or chatted with my wife or something.

This post has been edited by fischsemmel: Jan 15 2019, 05:05 PM

+Quote Post
puma
post Jan 15 2019, 06:37 PM
Post #107

Student

Group: Members
Member No.: 8,619
referrer:internet search

QUOTE (fischsemmel @ Jan 15 2019, 10:59 AM) *
I just "won" the game!

Congratulations! A solo effort is impressive. ok.gif

+Quote Post
BLauritson
post Jan 15 2019, 06:42 PM
Post #108

Lord Fnorgle

Group: Moderators
Member No.: 9
referrer:Let's see.. I can't remember now, it was too long ago.

Congratulations! Well done on defeating the big guy, I'm still nowhere near even close to that as I don't think I've ever ventured below DL 7 before now.

I look forward to reading your future exploits smile.gif

--------------------

+Quote Post
fischsemmel
post Jan 15 2019, 07:51 PM
Post #109

Vagabond

Thanks smile.gif

For now I'll keep playing my osiri solo as I look for a few more pieces of gear and see if I can't maybe kill demon prince once, and asmo a couple more times (Im curious how lucky I got or if he really isn't that bad with this level of solo character).

But soon enough I'll close this chapter on soloing and add a mage into the mix. I've never leveled a character supported by another one before, or played a mage above like 30, or played a duo. So it'll warrant its own thread for anyone bored enough to keep up on... Haha.

I'd like to try a fresh solo game again someday, with a neutral human, but I'm sure it'll be years before I have the interest in grinding hundreds of solo levels again... so I'll just see how the mage partnership turns out for now.

+Quote Post
Nudibranch
post Jan 15 2019, 08:38 PM
Post #110

Fire Master

Group: Mordor MP Prog
Member No.: 71
referrer:search

Congrats! Yep, solo is a rare achievement. And no companions, either. (Right?)

--------------------
I would have started with lasers. Eight o'clock. Day one.

+Quote Post
fischsemmel
post Jan 15 2019, 09:52 PM
Post #111

Vagabond

QUOTE (Nudibranch @ Jan 15 2019, 03:38 PM) *
Congrats! Yep, solo is a rare achievement. And no companions, either. (Right?)

Right. Except random joins that would just die, then I'd raise then at the town steps and sell them.

I'm pretty darn sure asmo is much safer to face without companions than demon prince would be though. I'm still scared to see HIM solo without companions!

+Quote Post
fischsemmel
post Jan 16 2019, 12:24 AM
Post #112

Vagabond

Nevermind.

This post has been edited by fischsemmel: Jan 16 2019, 12:29 AM

+Quote Post
Roland
post Jan 16 2019, 12:27 AM
Post #113

Voyager

Member No.: 8,408
referrer:Google

Congratulations on slaying the Big Guy! You're lucky Flame Devils have no resistance to paralysis (unlike Asmo himself, who is immune).

QUOTE (fischsemmel @ Jan 15 2019, 02:51 PM) *
But soon enough I'll close this chapter on soloing and add a mage into the mix. I've never leveled a character supported by another one before, or played a mage above like 30, or played a duo. So it'll warrant its own thread for anyone bored enough to keep up on... Haha.

My Dwarf Seeker/Thief/Sorcerer had a big head start on my other two characters, one of whom is a Gnome Paladin/Mage. In his early days, I essentially ran the Gnome as a solo char, with the Dwarf trailing behind him set to defend. The Dwarf's only role was to open boxes, which brought in more gold and items, while preserving the Gnome from trap damage. When I started my third character, a Dwarf Warrior/Healer, I followed the same strategy with him in his early days.

+Quote Post
fischsemmel
post Jan 16 2019, 12:31 AM
Post #114

Vagabond

QUOTE (Roland @ Jan 15 2019, 07:27 PM) *
Congratulations on slaying the Big Guy! You're lucky Flame Devils have no resistance to paralysis (unlike Asmo himself, who is immune).

Thanks! I think I just answered whether I just got lucky with asmo or not though.

I ran into him again, killed the flame devils and backed out no problem. Another wod and back out no problem. Next time I think I saw a "you've been critted for 781" and I died. I'm not exactly sure how, because I went in at 999 hp. Not sure if he breathed on me for more than a couple hundred and I just missed that and THEN he annihilated me with that crit or what. But wow. laugh.gif

Went back and got my revenge on him (though I'm like 11 years older now between death and aging, and I don't have dragons blood cause the first asmo did actually get me for several years too and I used the one blood I had banked). He did get a 600-something crit on me again this time. He also only dropped gold sad.gif

So maybe it's time to bring up the mage (or find a stupid ring of entrapment) before I monkey around with devil/demon stud rooms any more! I can't afford to get aged 5+ years every few trips to 15, haha.

This post has been edited by fischsemmel: Jan 16 2019, 12:33 AM

+Quote Post
Mordion
post Jan 16 2019, 01:01 AM
Post #115

Wanderer

QUOTE (fischsemmel @ Jan 15 2019, 07:31 PM) *
Not sure if he breathed on me for more than a couple hundred and I just missed that and THEN he annihilated me with that crit or what. But wow. laugh.gif

A single attack is 3 parts so the breath message might have gone by fast.

Breath/acid damage is the pre-attack, then melee/spell damage, then if the attack hits, aging, drain, etc.

+Quote Post

6 Pages V  « < 4 5 6
Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 24th March 2019 - 04:39 PM
Bridged By IpbWiki: Integration Of Invision Power Board and MediaWiki © GlobalSoft
Copyrights and Credits