> Adding to the wiki, If nobody minds
Goopotato
post Aug 21 2012, 06:13 AM
Post #1

Journeyman

Group: Members Plus
Member No.: 812
referrer:Google

Browsing through the wiki, I thought of several things that could be added, such as categories, separate pages for each spell, possibly loot tables for the mobs, stuff like that... if nobody objects, I'll get to work on expanding things a bit.
Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post
aardless
post Aug 21 2012, 09:12 AM
Post #2

Goblin Shaman at work (used to be: on strike...)

Group: Admin
Member No.: 18
referrer::yahoo:

Sure, go ahead!

--------------------
If money doesn't grow on trees, why is it that banks have branches? - sig of a guy on a chinese forum

Most off-topic topics are off-topic - fart642000

+Quote Post
DarkerMuffin
post Dec 30 2014, 06:42 AM
Post #3

Fighter

Member No.: 4,683
referrer:Search engine

I adjusted the monster template and added an item drop level slot. I might modify this later and add in each monster's nine item drop slots, but that's a bit much for me right now. I'm playing around with a template which would have all the item drop slots, but I'm not happy with the formatting yet.

I also added in categories for item destroyers, paralyzers, stoners, and agers, then populated them with the appropriate monsters.

--------------------
null

+Quote Post
Nudibranch
post Dec 30 2014, 06:59 PM
Post #4

Fire Master

Group: Mordor MP Prog
Member No.: 71
referrer:search

Nice, that's useful information. ok.gif

If you do add item drops, be aware that what Wabbit's editor reports as "none" is in fact "anything": http://dejenol.com/forum/index.php?showtop...;show=&st=0

Also, aren't there 10 item drop slots, not 9?

--------------------
I would have started with lasers. Eight o'clock. Day one.

+Quote Post
DarkerMuffin
post Dec 31 2014, 07:13 AM
Post #5

Fighter

I set up a template called MonsterWithItems, which has all the same data as the regular Monster template, but with the item slots added. I've gone ahead and migrated the indigni over. All the item drops should link to the list of items in their item class.

I'm not completely satisfied with this result. Some pages, like the dungeonweed page, are misleading, since they have a full list of item drops but never actually drop anything. I'd like to be able to flag monsters with a U25 value of 0, then display a message saying no drops are available for these monsters, but that might be beyond me. There are also a few odd quirks to work out. Mainly, I wanted to get this up and put a few monsters on as examples to make sure that the general idea works and see if there's anything major to change before working on importing the whole lot.

QUOTE (Nudibranch @ Dec 30 2014, 11:59 AM) *
If you do add item drops, be aware that what Wabbit's editor reports as "none" is in fact "anything": http://dejenol.com/forum/index.php?showtop...;show=&st=0

Also, aren't there 10 item drop slots, not 9?

Ack, 10 it is! It should be in the wiki properly now. I also put down an anything slot instead of a nothing slot for the monsters I've done so far. Right now, the anything category points to the full list of items, but I'll add a better list lacking the 0 drop rate items later.

This post has been edited by DarkerMuffin: Jan 6 2015, 05:26 AM

--------------------
null

+Quote Post
DarkerMuffin
post Jan 6 2015, 05:25 AM
Post #6

Fighter

Okay, might as well give a big overview of the changes I've made.

New Monster Categories:
Aging Touch Monsters (Not crazy about the name... Any suggestions?)
Draining Monsters
Item Destroying Monsters
Laired Monsters
Monsters with Specific Drops (Another name I'm not crazy about.)
Paralyzing Monsters
Stoning Monsters

Added Monsters Item Drops
Every monster (except GOBLIE) should be on the new monster template now, with all 10 of their drops added. I've run over all the monsters and their items a couple of times, so I'm hoping that most of the errors are out now.

I couldn't find a clean way to list direct to specific item drops, like the Goblin Shaman's Aards or the Vampire's Fangs, so I've put in a workaround. The template links each drop to an item class page, so for the specific item drops, I made their item class pages redirect to the proper link. For instance, Medusa's page links to Medusa's Head (item class), which is redirected to the proper Medusa's Head page. I'd prefer to have the template parse the input and check for whether it's a class drop or specific drop, but I wasn't having any luck with that.

So, in case someone finds a workaround, I grouped all these redirect pages into an Item Class to Item Redirect template. This should make cleaning up from my method easier in the future.

I'd like to switch back all the monsters which never drop items back to the regular template, but I'm hesitant to do this without understanding all the U values in Wabbit's editor.

I made a page for the anything drop, which lists all the items, separated into droppable and undroppable categories. This might be better if it segregated the droppable items into drop levels, but it should do for now.

Added Item Info
All the items should have their drop chances listed on their pages.

Items with a 0 drop chance have their own category now. There are also categories for items first found on each level, such as level 1. I've only added the A items into the level categories so far.

--------------------
null

+Quote Post
Gutsy
post Jan 6 2015, 06:35 AM
Post #7

Gibbering Frenchman

Member No.: 782
referrer:Slimey's

This is a fantastic update, thank you so much!

--------------------
Gutsy

+Quote Post
DarkerMuffin
post Jan 7 2015, 06:55 AM
Post #8

Fighter

I think as far as info for the wiki goes, I've tapped out what I can figure out from Wabbit's editor. The companion info is a bit perplexing (twisted dwarves with nan-shuma companion?) and falls apart for the buggy indigni. There are some engimatic fields which probably have useful info, but I don't know how to even begin figuring some of them out.

QUOTE (Gutsy @ Jan 5 2015, 11:35 PM) *
This is a fantastic update, thank you so much!

Glad to hear it! I was a bit worried that I'd do a bunch of work on the templates, adding in all the data, and then find out that everyone liked the old template and simple presentation better. It's a relief hearing that!

--------------------
null

+Quote Post
Nudibranch
post Jan 7 2015, 08:49 PM
Post #9

Fire Master

Group: Mordor MP Prog
Member No.: 71
referrer:search

Yes, this is excellent work. The wiki has been sorely needing it.

"Aging Monsters" would be fine. I'm not worried about any confusion over whether it's the monsters themselves that are getting old...

"Monsters with Specific Drops" is fine.

I rearranged the "undroppable" list on http://dejenol.com/index.php?title=Anything_%28item_class%29 to group it by monster/item type.

The one remaining thing I'd suggest is to go through your "Item Class to Item redirect" category and add a text note on each item page what monsters specifically drop that item. A fast way to figure that out is "what links here" in the toolbox on the left. (For instance, http://dejenol.com/index.php?title=Special...me_of_Endurance )

--------------------
I would have started with lasers. Eight o'clock. Day one.

+Quote Post
DarkerMuffin
post Jan 8 2015, 03:01 AM
Post #10

Fighter

QUOTE (Nudibranch @ Jan 7 2015, 01:49 PM) *
"Aging Monsters" would be fine. I'm not worried about any confusion over whether it's the monsters themselves that are getting old...

Done!

I rearranged the "undroppable" list on http://dejenol.com/index.php?title=Anything_%28item_class%29 to group it by monster/item type.

That looks much better! Thanks! happy.gif

The one remaining thing I'd suggest is to go through your "Item Class to Item redirect" category and add a text note on each item page what monsters specifically drop that item. A fast way to figure that out is "what links here" in the toolbox on the left. (For instance, http://dejenol.com/index.php?title=Special...me_of_Endurance )

All the items which are dropped by specific monsters should list their host creatures now, with a note saying if it's exclusive to those monsters or not. I also added a similar note to all the item class redirects, but looking at it again, that's pretty redundant. Oh well.

Yes, this is excellent work. The wiki has been sorely needing it.

Glad to hear it! happy.gif

I think the last things to do are finish up on adding level categories to the items, then doing some cleanup on items which are missing categories for their class. I'll probably do the same for monsters after that.

This post has been edited by DarkerMuffin: Jan 8 2015, 03:02 AM

--------------------
null

+Quote Post
DarkerMuffin
post Jan 28 2015, 03:02 PM
Post #11

Fighter

The monsters now have some basic navigation at the bottom of their pages. There are 18 different templates, one for each monster type, with all the monsters of that type listed in each box. I need to do a bit of cleaning up on them, but they're there and fully operational! The Kobold has an example of one of these boxes at the bottom. One issue is that the separators between the monsters (the symbols) don't play nicely with line breaks, but I couldn't figure out a way to make that work properly, aside from borrowing the navbox template and all of its dependencies from Wikipedia. This might be a good idea later on, especially before MXP's release, but it will take someone with import permissions.

From what I could tell, version 1.11.0 of MediaWiki doesn't support collapsible elements, so the boxes are perpetually open for now! All it should take is adding the mw-collapsible class to each template to make them work down the line though. (At least, I think that's all.)

I'd also like to add similar navigation system for the items, but I didn't want to start on those until I had a chance for any feedback on the monster ones.

I've also been playing around with massive sortable tables for the monsters. It doesn't have its own wiki page yet, but anyone can take a look at one at User:DarkerMuffin/SortableMonsterTables/Companions. It has all the monsters listed by name and ID, then contains all the fields which seem to have anything to do with companions. It's not quite ready for its own wiki page yet, but a prototype's viewable if anyone wants to take a look. In particular, there aren't any descriptions of what the fields do, so it's a bit confusing to stick into a normal page until then. I'd like to do a similar one that contains all the drop info for monsters, but the width of putting in those 10 item slots might make the table too wide. A basic info one (A/D, HP, Size, Alignment, etc) would work nicely though.

--------------------
null

+Quote Post
DarkerMuffin
post May 16 2015, 11:59 AM
Post #12

Fighter

The wiki now has a Monster Trap Table up and running. It should have each monster listed with all of its possible traps, along with a U12 value, ID number, and floor it appears on. I ordered traps roughly in the order that players will tend to encounter them, but the template and table take the data input as a binary conversion of U12. This means that things are pretty misleading under the hood, so if anyone else edits this, do take a careful look at the template! There's definitely room for improvement in presentation, but the data's all there, so I went ahead and put it on the wiki.

--------------------
null

+Quote Post

Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 20th October 2019 - 10:14 AM
Bridged By IpbWiki: Integration Of Invision Power Board and MediaWiki © GlobalSoft
Copyrights and Credits