Group: Members Plus
Member No.: 4,683
referrer:Search engine

File Name: Cleaner Mordor Maps
File Submitter: DarkerMuffin
File Submitted: 18 Jun 2015
File Updated: 18 Jun 2015
File Category: Mordor: The Depths Of Dejenol

This mod cleans up some of the bizarre monster spawning behavior on the default Mordor maps. It cleans up parts of the map where monsters inexplicably spawn from the opposite side of the dungeon, such as the dragons in the lake on level 7. It also tries to give every tile which fails to spawn monsters some kind of spawning behavior. (Aside from the entrance, of course!) All of the terrain is left completely unaltered.

A detailed change log can be found in this mod's support topic!

To install, simply put the MDATA11.MDR file in your Mordor's data directory. Don't forget to back up the original map file first!

Click here to download this file

--------------------
null
Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post
DarkerMuffin
post Jun 18 2015, 08:41 AM
Post #2

Fighter

List of changes:

Each area that I changed is documented here. Some of the fixes were straightforward, but there were a number of tricky ones. I'd like to use screenshots to illustrate all of the changes eventually, but for this list, I'll stick with coordinates.

Level 1:

1,5 is a 1x1 square that never spawned anything. I reconnected it to the 2x2 square room it was in.

30,4 was separated from 10,30. The rooms were originally set to spawn water-dwellers, clean-ups, mages, and warriors. 30,4 was changed to only have the water-dweller spawns, while 10,30 was set to clean-ups, mages, and warriors.

The rooms at 30,12 and 30,10 were previously conjoined, so I separated them into two distinct rooms, with the same exact spawns. Their water-dweller spawns are odd, but I didn't want to change them to something else without a stronger reason.

Level 2:

No changes!

Level 3:

1,30 and 25,18 were connected from across the map. I separated the two, letting 1,30 keep the spawns the two had, while giving 25,18 the unused area 106. Level 3's numbering jumps around a lot, but I'm pretty sure this hallway was supposed to have this number. This changes the room's spawns from dragons and giants to insects, reptiles, and thieves.

16,13 and 20,12 were conjoined. This was another case where I separated the two rooms, but let each room keep the same spawns. 20,12 was also a decent candidate for one of the unused areas. 20,12 kept the original spawns, while 16,13 was given the unused area 85's spawns. 16,13 changed from an elemental, giant, humanoid, and indigini room to an animal, dragon, and insect room.

Level 4:

4,30 never spawned anything. The unused area 175 perfectly correlates to where this room is, so I assigned all the unused tiles near 4,30 this area number.

1,13 and 5,21 were connected across the map in area 183. This area seemed like a much better fit for the foggy 1,13, since it fit nicely with the numbering. The spawns seemed a little strange for the tiles, so I was a little dubious. The clean-ups were a good fit though, and there were a few things in common with the foggy area across the pond, so I ended up giving 1,13 area 183. I switched 5,21 over to unused area 184, which gave it the new spawns of animals, giants, thieves, and warriors.

Level 5:

The room at 11,28 has a feeler that juts out of its boundaries into the T-shaped room next door, splitting the other room in two. I removed the extra tile and returned it to the T-room.

Level 6:

At 16,24, in the middle of the pond on 6, there's a square that connects to an area at the upper-left corner of the map. It always spawns some weird monsters in the middle of the pond, so it had to go! I gave control of this tile to the water that surrounds it.

Level 7:

The room at 1,4, in the bottom-left corner, has two random offshoots into the lake, at 19,4 and 18,1. I love using these tiles normally because they always spawn dragons, so it's a nice payday on the lake. Still, it was weird map behavior, so it had to go! I reconnected the watery spots into their nearby areas.

Level 8:

1,30 has one of those offshoots at 12,17. I reconnected 12,17 to its surrounding area. (By the way, the trend for a lot of these offshoots with weird spawns is that they come from area 2, which is the first non-rock area.)

Level 9:

No changes! There are a couple of odd areas on the right corners of the map, but I left them. More on that on 10.

Level 10:

No changes! 10, like level 9, has a couple of strange 1-tile areas. The most noticeable one is in the pond at 21,25. It doesn't connect to any other areas though and it spawns properly, so I wasn't sure whether it should stay or go. I decided to leave it since there are other strange 1-tile squares in the middle of nowhere like this on 9 and 10, even if they don't really show up anywhere else in the game.

Level 11:

5,30 was connected to 27,20. There weren't any unused areas on the map this time, so when I split them apart, I let them each keep identical spawns.

6,10 was connected to 8,3. I split them into two areas. Again, there weren't any unused areas available on the map for this split. I took the spawns and divided them between the two areas. I gave the watery 6,10 the water-dweller spawns, then the island at 8,3 got the mages of the coast, plus some thieves.

Level 12:

7,20 and 9,4 were connected across the map. There was only one empty area on 12, area 119, and it perfectly fit 9,4's location. 7,20 kept all of its old spawns, while 9,4 now spawns animals, demons, reptiles, and warriors.

6,8 and 28,10 were both connected to the rocks and set to spawn indigini. I spun them each off into their own new area. Since there were no unused areas left on 12, I let them each keep their indigini spawns. It can't hurt to have an extra T'Mana chance, can it?

11,26 is the most interesting room that doesn't spawn anything in the game! I always thought it gave a nice, ominous feel to the room before the Mother of Serpents, almost as though she killed off her neighbors in the next room over! It's actually supposed to have a Shadow Serpent lair, but never actually spawns them because the room has no monster types to spawn. I have no idea what monsters are supposed to spawn in this room though. I fell back on reptiles, both because they fit the monster type for the lair and because they're mundane. I don't want to add anything too odd that would take away from the novelty of seeing the unused lair at work.

Level 13:

8,24 was connected to the rock area and was never set to spawn anything. Since pretty much every single surrounding area spawns naught but demons and undead, I set it to spawn the same thing! Long live the graveyard!

Level 14:

There are several empty spots that connect to the rock area on 14, including 8,18; 8,23; and 29,26. None of these spawned anything, and each of these three had a clear connection some of the surrounding areas. I let them become one with the areas surrounding them.

12,26 was the last room connected to the rocks. It's a 2x1 room that consists entirely of extinguish squares. There's nowhere on the floor that's at all similar, and there weren't any unused areas to assign it. It was a complete mystery room! Who knows what kind of monsters should go in it. Since it has the biggest 'Do Not Enter' sign of any room on 14, I thought its monster spawns should reflect that. I gave it animal and humanoid spawns for instadeath reasons, then undead spawns to take advantage of extinguishing people's drain resistances. Stay away! Stay away!

15,16 was another room with no spawns. Similar to 12,26, there was also little to suggest what kind of monsters it should have. The dry rooms in the middle didn't have any frequently occurring monster spawn types. I decided to continue that trend and put in spawns that none of those island rooms had. This antimagic hallway now has elementals, giants, insects, and reptiles.

Level 15:

5,15 was connected to the rocks. It easily fit into the surrounding area, so it was the only easy fix on 15!

12,19 was connected to the rocks. (Not again...) It had no spawns whatsoever, and the nearby rooms didn't do anything to clue me in. It's also the only gigantic pitfall room in the game, which made matching it up to something even more difficult! The nearby rooms didn't have any consistent monster types, so I decided to stick to that trend. I also wanted to keep the new room fairly mundane, so things like mythicals and reptiles (slithers) were out. I also wanted to give it some variety, so I put in animals, insects, thieves, and warriors. I also gave the room demon spawns because this is the best place in the game for a Pit Fiend! I was incredibly tempted to lair the thing.

25,11 was connected to the rocks. (Not again!) It was yet another empty room. 15 has a trend going on! The nearby rooms all had demon spawns, so I gave 25,11 demons to start with. I also gave it animal, undead, and warrior spawns, loosely drawing from a mix of what the nearby rooms had. Basically, it was another case of giving the room variety while not putting anything too interesting in.

27,16 was connected to the rocks. (Arrgh...) It was another quiet room. It's surrounded on both sides by rooms with only two spawns, so I wanted to restrict this room's spawns as well. The next two rooms to the west can both spawn thieves, and the next two rooms to the east both spawn lycanthropes, so I decided to make this room a bridge of sorts, containing both the thieves and the lycanthropes. It has an extinguish square, so I doubt people will be passing through too often.

17,7 was connected to the rocks. (How shocking.) It's also the nastiest room in the game. It will never spawn monsters and has no exits, so I've always been paranoid about becoming completely trapped in this room. Other wall-locked rooms at least spawn monsters, so your character can die and have the rescuers find the body. Not so for 17,7! If your character is out of SP in this room, there is no escape. Hope you have another character that can make it to 15!

But, I can't put any monster spawns in there either. That risks another nasty situation. If anyone winds up in this room without companions and spots a Mind Twister, there's another no-win situation. All the movement spells are off-limits until the enemy's dead. It's an unwinnable scenario, so you have to sit there and watch your party slowly die. You can't even use the exit button to leave the game, and that's the biggest reason I don't want to put any monsters in this room. No matter spawns in this room, there's still that miniscule chance every room has of spawning any monster type.

I think that this room was supposed to have been rock in the first place. It matches up with the wall alongside it nicely, and there's no other room like it in the game. It also had the rock's area number, although that's not completely unusual. I was sorely tempted to turn it into a rock, but I didn't want to give anyone a nasty teleport surprise. For a similar reason, I felt that I needed to leaving all the terrain in this mod the same. I'd like to make transitions between this mod and the normal map as seamless as possible. I'll have my revenge on this fake rock room some other day. It's the only room left in this mod that won't spawn anything, besides the level 1 entrance.

This post has been edited by DarkerMuffin: Jun 18 2015, 11:16 AM

--------------------
null

+Quote Post
Sduibek2
post Jun 18 2015, 08:15 PM
Post #3

Vagabond

Member No.: 6,285
referrer:The City Seer

Good work, thank you for uploading smile.gif These issues always bugged me as well.

May I include them in my upcoming mod, with credit to you? (I've already made the fixes you did but only down to about level 5 as I'm not done with the mod yet tongue.gif)

This post has been edited by Sduibek2: Jun 18 2015, 08:17 PM

+Quote Post
DarkerMuffin
post Jun 19 2015, 08:29 AM
Post #4

Fighter

QUOTE (Sduibek2 @ Jun 18 2015, 02:15 PM) *
Good work, thank you for uploading smile.gif These issues always bugged me as well.

May I include them in my upcoming mod, with credit to you? (I've already made the fixes you did but only down to about level 5 as I'm not done with the mod yet tongue.gif)

By all means! Feel free to make any other changes you want too.

--------------------
null

+Quote Post

Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 17th September 2019 - 05:31 PM
Bridged By IpbWiki: Integration Of Invision Power Board and MediaWiki © GlobalSoft
Copyrights and Credits