> Solo good human
fischsemmel
post Jul 17 2019, 03:32 AM
Post #41

Mentor

Group: Members Plus
Member No.: 6,580
referrer:Search engine

So much for the pre-11 slump! I've now fully explored 11's water, plus the paths to the dragon rooms. But I almost died in the one because I forgot it had an extinguisher and there were 2 demons and 3 wraiths inside. I got stripped of buffs, immediately paralyzed, and beat down for over 400 hp and drained a few times before I got out at 56 hits!

But other than that I'm on a bit of a roll. I swapped to GKH to try instead of avenger since on 11 (and actually I visited 12 after finding one set of stairs on 11, just to check the two pariah rooms nearby) I very rarely get more than 2 swings anyway... and usually the stuff I would get all 4 swings on I just leprosy anyway. I'm up to 206 warrior, which combined with a new lamurian ring has nicely bumped up my defense. I ran into a master ninja earlier and he only hit me once in like 8 rounds as I beat him into submission.

I'm actually starting to get used to being a crappy thief. I rarely bother with magically locked stuff unless it's from a special monster, and have come to terms with just not opening teleport, withering, and of course slime traps. Maybe I'll leave scav on the back burner a while longer while I keep working on my combat guilds, since increasing them more will just make more scavenger levels easier later.

This post has been edited by fischsemmel: Jul 17 2019, 04:16 AM
Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post
Roland
post Jul 17 2019, 06:32 PM
Post #42

Infiltrator

Member No.: 8,408
referrer:Google

QUOTE (fischsemmel @ Jul 16 2019, 11:32 PM) *
I'm actually starting to get used to being a crappy thief. I rarely bother with magically locked stuff unless it's from a special monster, and have come to terms with just not opening teleport, withering, and of course slime traps.

My Morloch is a level-195 Scavenger. His ability to identify traps is so bad that he has now lost a few items to misidentified slime traps. He is running mostly levels 8 and 9 now.

+Quote Post
fischsemmel
post Jul 17 2019, 07:49 PM
Post #43

Mentor

QUOTE (Roland @ Jul 17 2019, 02:32 PM) *
My Morloch is a level-195 Scavenger. His ability to identify traps is so bad that he has now lost a few items to misidentified slime traps. He is running mostly levels 8 and 9 now.

Yeah, at 202 he is super awful at IDing anything below 7 in a few tries. When I find a box/chest I actually want to open, I shift+back arrow in and out of that area 15+ times watching the spam of trap names watching for one that stands out. It works quite well, but of course doesn't help you actually disarm the ones that aren't strictly out of the question like slimes.

I think I can tolerate 202 scavenger for 11 and 12 but will do 250 at least before I'm in full pariah farm mode on 13&14, and 350 before 15.

+Quote Post
fischsemmel
post Jul 19 2019, 03:33 PM
Post #44

Mentor

Didn't play as much the last couple days. Part of the reason is I dislike leveling as sorcerer. I get a crappy weapon, the crest power is pretty crappy damage, it needs a lot of exp. But I'm grinding away at it, up to ~150 now, aiming for 200ish for now.

But also I haven't played as much because my ancient laptop I used for Mordor died on me! It's from 2002, the batteries last only minutes when not plugged in, and the cord coming out of the adapter finally got loose enough that it won't reliably work. So I quickly put my Mordor folder on a flash drive and pressed F for a life well lived.

I busted out my next oldest laptop that hasn't been turned on in like 5 years, which has Vista on it. It ran Mordor immediately but it has a low resolution so I had to monkey with font and window sizing and location. And then I couldn't move in the dungeon with arrow keys or clicking the on screen buttons, but got that fixed by turning off UAC. Im hoping I don't die in the next week because I hit the wrong keys... The shift key is a bit different than my old one. But anyway...

I've been killing mother of serpents here and there, but it's rough. I barely get to her room before needing to go to town. And fighting her with 2-3 EFs and healing after almost sends me back to town again. I got a static sash and a ring of splendour to show for it so far though, which is pretty sweet. Looking forward to another 25 sorcerer CLs making EF quite a bit cheaper and more damaging so killing her isn't such a production.

+Quote Post
MythrilZenith
post Jul 19 2019, 04:00 PM
Post #45

Soldier

Member No.: 6,867
referrer:A google-search for Mordor: Depths of Dejenol maps led me here!

QUOTE (fischsemmel @ Jul 19 2019, 09:33 AM) *
Didn't play as much the last couple days. Part of the reason is I dislike leveling as sorcerer. I get a crappy weapon, the crest power is pretty crappy damage, it needs a lot of exp. But I'm grinding away at it, up to ~150 now, aiming for 200ish for now.

Sorcerer leveling isn't exactly the most fun, especially compared to the fast leveling of Warrior, but if you want those element and electrical spells it's a bullet you're gonna have to bite. The crest damage scales a lot with level, but a lot of things have at least partial Fire resistance. It's good for killing a lot of water mobs and a decent number of undead, but the damage ratio on Pillar of Fire isn't quite as good as something like Acid Spray.

The passive bonuses of the Sorcerer Crest are some of my favorites, though, with +12 defense and automatic resistance to basically all the natural attacks of monsters (except for acid) are helpful, though those breath attacks and on-hit electrocutions still suck to get hit by.

Sucks to hear about your old machine. F to pay respects there :dead:
At least through the magic of FLASH DRIVES your entire file hasn't failed. And hey, a new window setup can be a nice breath of fresh air! ... or it can be a big point of frustration. To each their own.

--------------------
Just an average nomad trying to figure out how Mordor really works.

I've also taken the liberty of recording some videos of Mordor: Depths of Dejenol!

Classics are classic, but never mistake nostalgia for superiority. When older is better, it's because it truly is, not just because our perception of it makes it so.

+Quote Post
fischsemmel
post Jul 20 2019, 05:53 PM
Post #46

Mentor

TFW none of any normal route you take through the dungeon is respawned even though you haven't done any of them since yesterday.

This post has been edited by fischsemmel: Jul 20 2019, 05:54 PM

+Quote Post
Roland
post Jul 21 2019, 02:44 AM
Post #47

Infiltrator

QUOTE (fischsemmel @ Jul 20 2019, 01:53 PM) *
TFW none of any normal route you take through the dungeon is respawned even though you haven't done any of them since yesterday.

In my experience, that often happens when you leave a lot of boxes unopened. But sometimes it happens for no apparent reason. Numerous times I have entered a region of the dungeon I haven't visited in months, only to find all the rooms empty.

+Quote Post
fischsemmel
post Jul 21 2019, 03:49 AM
Post #48

Mentor

QUOTE (Roland @ Jul 20 2019, 10:44 PM) *
In my experience, that often happens when you leave a lot of boxes unopened. But sometimes it happens for no apparent reason. Numerous times I have entered a region of the dungeon I haven't visited in months, only to find all the rooms empty.

Doesnt it happen that if you visit a room in the same hour you last visited it on a past day, it still thinks it's the same day&time? It HAD been just bout 24 hours since I'd visited these rooms.

That aside though, today was pretty good to me. MoS dropped a good staff of helarno to save for another couple dozen levels. A white dragon coughed up my first drsgons blood, so now I'm 16 again. Sorc is up to 177, and while PD and EF still have hefty spell costs, they're hitting a lot harder. Even AS is nocitably better at killing mid-level nasties.

My defense is up over 360 now as sorc/mage, which is pretty sweet. The only groups that do much melee damage to me at all are silent eagles and some stuff like defenders, harpies, etc. <3 defense!

+Quote Post
Mordion
post Jul 21 2019, 04:11 PM
Post #49

Explorer

Member No.: 3,924
referrer:The Super Seer

QUOTE (fischsemmel @ Jul 20 2019, 11:49 PM) *
Doesnt it happen that if you visit a room in the same hour you last visited it on a past day, it still thinks it's the same day&time? It HAD been just bout 24 hours since I'd visited these rooms.

It's +-20min from the time of day that it last spawned ignoring date and wraparound. (Which is why the dungeon respawns at midnight)

Floor # and number of existing spawns are factored in which is why it's sometimes faster. There's also a bug around midnight that permanently decreases the spawn time of a floor by 5s each time.

This post has been edited by Mordion: Jul 21 2019, 04:12 PM

+Quote Post
fischsemmel
post Jul 21 2019, 04:46 PM
Post #50

Mentor

It always confused me why the respawn calculations didn't know what day it was when other parts of the program do, like your character tab and the library and hall of fame.

+Quote Post
Mordion
post Jul 21 2019, 11:43 PM
Post #51

Explorer

Member No.: 3,924
referrer:The Super Seer

QUOTE (fischsemmel @ Jul 21 2019, 12:46 PM) *
It always confused me why the respawn calculations didn't know what day it was when other parts of the program do, like your character tab and the library and hall of fame.

My guess is that it's because in Visual Basic the time of day is a single number but the date is a bunch of numbers and is difficult to work with.

+Quote Post
fischsemmel
post Jul 22 2019, 03:52 AM
Post #52

Mentor

Ugh. Almost to 200 sorc. I think I stopped at 198 tonight. Has started to feel like quite a grind the last 10 levels or so.

I found my first ever dominator from blue&normal pelagons on dungeon level 10 today though, so not useful but kinda fun.

Still not 2-shotting mother of serpents with EF, which is depressing, but I doubt I'll keep going above 201 in sorc right now. I'm ready for some faster levels!

+Quote Post
Roland
post Jul 22 2019, 07:53 PM
Post #53

Infiltrator

QUOTE (fischsemmel @ Jul 21 2019, 11:52 PM) *
Still not 2-shotting mother of serpents with EF, which is depressing, but I doubt I'll keep going above 201 in sorc right now. I'm ready for some faster levels!

White Dragons are good companions to take against MoS. Her resistance to their cold breath is very low.

+Quote Post
fischsemmel
post Jul 22 2019, 10:54 PM
Post #54

Mentor

QUOTE (Roland @ Jul 22 2019, 03:53 PM) *
White Dragons are good companions to take against MoS. Her resistance to their cold breath is very low.

By chance my last kill on her involved 4 white dragons, laugh.gif

So is it correct that monsters anf company ignore total resistances of each other, but not partials? Or is it only "complete weapon immunity" like a lunch demon and "complete magic immunity" like a numanog that companions/monsters ignore when targeting each other?

+Quote Post
MythrilZenith
post Jul 22 2019, 11:22 PM
Post #55

Soldier

QUOTE (fischsemmel @ Jul 22 2019, 04:54 PM) *
By chance my last kill on her involved 4 white dragons, laugh.gif

So is it correct that monsters anf company ignore total resistances of each other, but not partials? Or is it only "complete weapon immunity" like a lunch demon and "complete magic immunity" like a numanog that companions/monsters ignore when targeting each other?

I assume that total immunity to a particular element will mitigate the effect of even natural attacks (stone, eletrocute, breath, etc). Monster attacks bypass weapon resistance and immunity, however. Not sure about complete magic immunity, I'd have to pay more attention to when my witches blast a numanog.

As far as mommy sneko goes, she's 100% resistant to fire, but only 10% to cold, and white dragons have :gasp: cold breath.

Speaking of which, mom isn't resistant to electric OR disease. Has anyone tried using Leprosy to bring her down, or is the damage just too little to be worthwhile? I realize it would take several casts anyway so it's probably a moot point, and by that point you'd be much better off with EF or possibly even a strong melee attacker.

This post has been edited by MythrilZenith: Jul 22 2019, 11:24 PM

--------------------

I've also taken the liberty of recording some videos of Mordor: Depths of Dejenol!

Classics are classic, but never mistake nostalgia for superiority. When older is better, it's because it truly is, not just because our perception of it makes it so.

+Quote Post
fischsemmel
post Jul 24 2019, 04:53 AM
Post #56

Mentor

Well I ended up catching mage up to sorc, so they're both at 201 now. Genies and coltpixies and witches and white dragons, oh my.

I've been killing mother of serpents and visiting all the mythical rooms on 12-13 before just poking around on 10-11 some waiting for respawns. Saw 1 pariah earlier, but he didn't have a chest or box. Found my first vampire fang only to realize I don't really care because scavenger uses better weapons than thief can, and i have a staff of helarno for my casters. Otherwise I've just been slowly gaining some gold and stocking my bank with consumables as I farm/level.

Im still putting off scavenger levels since I can't remember the last time any items got stolen even by stuff on 13, and I rarely have gold stolen, anf ive just come to accept I'll trigger most traps and need to shift+back arrow EVERY chest to ID it. But I did zip through 14 more warrior levels during extra innings of tonight's Tiger's game. Yay 7 more defense!

Not sure if I'll keep leveling warrior for better melee and defense... or keep at mage for the safety of more companions without having to be overly cautious and slow in my dungeon trips. I'll do both more before I touch level 14. I fought the golden eagle stud room on 13 earlier to see how it'd go, going in with about 360 defense and 4 companions, and they're nasty for me. Took a second trip in with 4 fresh companions to finish them all, and it was not efficient in any way whatsoever... Like 6 paralyzing deaths and 400+ hits of healing and 8 dead companions just to kill 9 golden eagles. So I'm not ready to run into them or gargantuans regularly on 14 ... though sneaking down just to go cast field of death on the slither room really is tempting! laugh.gif

This post has been edited by fischsemmel: Jul 24 2019, 04:56 AM

+Quote Post
Roland
post Jul 24 2019, 07:07 PM
Post #57

Infiltrator

QUOTE (fischsemmel @ Jul 24 2019, 12:53 AM) *
I fought the golden eagle stud room on 13 earlier to see how it'd go, going in with about 360 defense and 4 companions, and they're nasty for me. Took a second trip in with 4 fresh companions to finish them all, and it was not efficient in any way whatsoever... Like 6 paralyzing deaths and 400+ hits of healing and 8 dead companions just to kill 9 golden eagles. So I'm not ready to run into them or gargantuans regularly on 14 ... though sneaking down just to go cast field of death on the slither room really is tempting! laugh.gif

Did you try casting Soul Entrapment on the Golden Eagles? As a level-201 Mage, you would have a 66% chance of success against an Eagle with average hits.

+Quote Post
fischsemmel
post Jul 24 2019, 07:52 PM
Post #58

Mentor

QUOTE (Roland @ Jul 24 2019, 03:07 PM) *
Did you try casting Soul Entrapment on the Golden Eagles? As a level-201 Mage, you would have a 66% chance of success against an Eagle with average hits.

Nah, I didnt. I didn't want to go into the room without 4 companions already because of how hard they can hit me, nor stick around after a few of my companions are dead!

This post has been edited by fischsemmel: Jul 24 2019, 08:51 PM

+Quote Post
fischsemmel
post Jul 25 2019, 12:39 PM
Post #59

Mentor

I've decided to work on warrior, ideally getting my 2nd extra swing before working on other guilds again.

Except the relatively low exp requirements of warrior and the higher quest chance means I keep pinning before I see what I need, and then I end up having to swap to scavenger for a bit before I find it, then I swap back. Quite bothersome.

Also bothersome is getting con drained when I'm trying to wield GKH, since that means it gets unequipped in the middle of fighting a couple liches. laugh.gif

It's quite a bit of exp to get to warrior 324, but the extra a/d and combat and especially the extra swing (3 swings with GKH, yay) will be great to have as I work on running scav from 210ish up to 300, then work on casters again. Other than a half dozen random levels when pinned and quested with warrior, I haven't worked on scavenger in almost two weeks!

I wonder how the game decides how well monsters rob you. I don't think it's the same as the way disarming or IDing works, because my 200 scav basically never gets robbed on 12-13 even though I commented on my osirri thread that I needed more thief levels (from 179) on those levels to avoid being stolen from.

This post has been edited by fischsemmel: Jul 25 2019, 12:53 PM

+Quote Post
MythrilZenith
post Jul 25 2019, 03:01 PM
Post #60

Soldier

QUOTE (fischsemmel @ Jul 25 2019, 06:39 AM) *
I wonder how the game decides how well monsters rob you. I don't think it's the same as the way disarming or IDing works, because my 200 scav basically never gets robbed on 12-13 even though I commented on my osirri thread that I needed more thief levels (from 179) on those levels to avoid being stolen from.

Dexterity seems to be the biggest thing, but a decent thieving skill goes a long way. I occasionally have money stolen from me when I hurt a floor 10+ thief down to low HP but don't actually kill them, but I haven't lost an item to anything that wasn't a slime trap or clean-up in a fair amount of time. (I'm starting to dread walking into the fog room on 7 by the stairs between 6 and 7 because freaking Slippery Mires there keep taking my stuff).

As far as questing is concerned, when you were leveling Mage, did you try filling out your confinement? Whenever I get quested for something now, if I don't have one in confinement already I make it a goal to seek it out and charm it (if possible).

I'm STILL kicking myself for accidentally attacking the charm-immune Morey Bilk that 'j'oined me, because apparently not ONLY are they super rare, but they also rarely 'j'oin at all. Not that I'd have been able to recycle it because of the whole, y'know, charm immunity. But it's still frustrating.

--------------------

+Quote Post

5 Pages V  < 1 2 3 4 5 >
Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 2nd June 2020 - 01:48 AM
Bridged By IpbWiki: Integration Of Invision Power Board and MediaWiki © GlobalSoft
Copyrights and Credits