> Resolution of window/screen
Jason
post May 1 2019, 07:00 PM
Post #1

Student

Group: Members
Member No.: 8,719
referrer:Google

I'm curious as to what size/resolution people would want in a modern Mordor game. Also for anyone with relatively small screens or low resolutions (not judging), what is your max resolution? Would people prefer windowed or full screen?

Reason I ask is in designing my mordor remake, it's looking like I really need to know what minimum size the main window should be so I can lay things out right. I think this would work best. So wanted to get input from everyone before setting things in stone. I'm liking the look of the June 2008 update screenshot for Mordor XP so I'm thinking of using that as a basis. Link here:

http://dejenol.com/index.php?title=Mordor_...une_2008_Update
Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post
Nudibranch
post May 2 2019, 04:15 AM
Post #2

Fire Master

Group: Mordor MP Prog
Member No.: 71
referrer:search

1024x768 is reasonable as a minimum size. Though I wonder what the best approach is to handling different aspect ratios (4:3 and 16:9, at a minimum). If you wanted to be lazy, you could design it for 1280x720 and it could run on 1280x1024 letterboxed and 1080 or 4k would just take 1.5x or 3x scaling.

Windowed plz.

--------------------
I would have started with lasers. Eight o'clock. Day one.

+Quote Post
Jason
post May 2 2019, 03:08 PM
Post #3

Student

QUOTE (Nudibranch @ May 1 2019, 11:15 PM) *
1024x768 is reasonable as a minimum size. Though I wonder what the best approach is to handling different aspect ratios (4:3 and 16:9, at a minimum). If you wanted to be lazy, you could design it for 1280x720 and it could run on 1280x1024 letterboxed and 1080 or 4k would just take 1.5x or 3x scaling.

Windowed plz.

Just so happens I was thinking 1024x768 for a minimum as well. I think unless someone comes along and says they need lower resolution I'll stick with that. Or maybe slightly smaller to account for window borders. I was planning on windowed as the default but allowing full screen if like 1024x768 is your maximum screen resolution or something, maybe. Probably not actually but we'll see. I'll worry about that later as it's not really that important yet.

Thanks for the feedback.

+Quote Post
Mordion
post May 2 2019, 07:25 PM
Post #4

Vagabond

Group: Members Plus
Member No.: 3,924
referrer:The Super Seer

Make it work like M1. (except allow manual resize on all windows instead of the large fonts adjustment button)
User picks font size and when you resize the window it just shows you more.
Some windows will scale the font to keep the layout the same. (except Items window shouldn't scale it should show more)
Then it doesn't matter what resolution you use.

My ideal game would have a main window with a button bar and status bar. And all the interior windows would dock like in Visual Studio. (Resizing everything to be pixel perfect in M1 is challenging)

+Quote Post
BLauritson
post May 2 2019, 07:47 PM
Post #5

Lord Fnorgle

Group: Admin
Member No.: 9
referrer:Let's see.. I can't remember now, it was too long ago.

I agree that windowed would be preferable.

In terms of a minimum resolution I agree with Nudibranch's comment that 1024x768 would be a reasonable minimum, and I agree sub-windows should be dockable and resizeable.

--------------------

+Quote Post
Mordion
post May 3 2019, 12:38 AM
Post #6

Vagabond

Group: Members Plus
Member No.: 3,924
referrer:The Super Seer

QUOTE (BLauritson @ May 2 2019, 03:47 PM) *
I agree that windowed would be preferable.

In terms of a minimum resolution I agree with Nudibranch's comment that 1024x768 would be a reasonable minimum, and I agree sub-windows should be dockable and resizeable.

I remember playing Mordor at 640x480... it was a little cramped but it worked.

+Quote Post
Jason
post May 3 2019, 04:16 PM
Post #7

Student

QUOTE (Mordion @ May 2 2019, 07:38 PM) *
I remember playing Mordor at 640x480... it was a little cramped but it worked.

I'm playing it in DosBox with Windows 3.1 so ya, I get that genuine cramped feel as a bonus. smile.gif It does help me to consider minimal sizes though.

+Quote Post
Jason
post May 3 2019, 04:30 PM
Post #8

Student

QUOTE (Mordion @ May 2 2019, 02:25 PM) *
Make it work like M1. (except allow manual resize on all windows instead of the large fonts adjustment button)
User picks font size and when you resize the window it just shows you more.
Some windows will scale the font to keep the layout the same. (except Items window shouldn't scale it should show more)
Then it doesn't matter what resolution you use.

My ideal game would have a main window with a button bar and status bar. And all the interior windows would dock like in Visual Studio. (Resizing everything to be pixel perfect in M1 is challenging)

I guess it would be helpful to understand exactly how you set things up (goes for everyone else as well). Do you like to scale windows up to make text larger and such? Is that an important feature? Or not really? If interior windows could dock, would you have everything docked all the time, or would you want some windows not docked, or not docked all the time? For me, I'd want them always docked and would never dock them probably. I wouldn't rescale windows to make text larger either, if I have the option of specifying a universal font size. I'd just set a font size that things aren't too small.

You are correct about it not mattering what resolution you use. Except in that some may be running on older computers with older monitors and have a relatively small maximum possible resolution by modern standards. That's what I'm thinking anyway, which is why I started this post to see if that was true for anyone. By using java, it isn't limited to any platform so some platforms could be more limited as well. Like someone running linux on an old computer, which is pretty common really. Maybe I am worrying too much about it, but I know from experience it's best to try and make a solid design beforehand to work from when starting a new project.

+Quote Post
Nudibranch
post May 3 2019, 05:24 PM
Post #9

Fire Master

Group: Mordor MP Prog
Member No.: 71
referrer:search

Well, if you're anticipating it running on tablets, you might even want to try to accommodate 1024x600.

--------------------
I would have started with lasers. Eight o'clock. Day one.

+Quote Post
Jason
post May 4 2019, 01:52 PM
Post #10

Student

QUOTE (Nudibranch @ May 3 2019, 12:24 PM) *
Well, if you're anticipating it running on tablets, you might even want to try to accommodate 1024x600.

I suppose that is a possibility, though not planning around that right now. I'm working on trying to get the GUI layed out right now so once I get it down we'll see what kind of true minimum resolution it can handle. My first time messing with swing so it's going kind of slow as I figure out how it all works and how to bend it to my will.

+Quote Post

Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 22nd May 2019 - 11:54 AM
Bridged By IpbWiki: Integration Of Invision Power Board and MediaWiki © GlobalSoft
Copyrights and Credits