Nudibranch
post Dec 16 2018, 05:13 PM
Post #41

Fire Master

Group: Mordor MP Prog
Member No.: 71
referrer:search

QUOTE (fischsemmel @ Dec 16 2018, 06:41 AM) *
Hmm. One of us is doing something wrong. When I looked at the full formula, it said around 50 million, and the quick formula said about the same.

That would be me. A re-check gives me 42.76 million total for Osiri Seeker (GEF 18) level 421.

--------------------
I would have started with lasers. Eight o'clock. Day one.
Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post
fischsemmel
post Dec 16 2018, 07:34 PM
Post #42

Fighter

Group: Members Plus
Member No.: 6,580
referrer:Search engine

QUOTE (Nudibranch @ Dec 16 2018, 12:13 PM) *
That would be me. A re-check gives me 42.76 million total for Osiri Seeker (GEF 18) level 421.

laugh.gif ... well thank God you were the one who was mistaken. 40 million to max out my seeker leveling seems like a haul, but doable. 9 digits of exp though? not_ok.gif

+Quote Post
fischsemmel
post Dec 17 2018, 01:47 PM
Post #43

Fighter

Between my climbing sorcerer levels and a couple new pieces of gear, I've been managing to clear all the pariah rooms on 12 and 13 in a single trip into the dungeon, and sometimes still having the spell points left to finish pinning on 11 if I haven't pinned already. So I figured it was about time to check out 14. I know there are a couple of really, really nasty groups down there... but I figured I have high enough dex that I'll almost certainly get the first move when I run into them, and I am trying to be really vigilant on each new room I enter to be ready to shift+down arrow depending on what I see.

Anyway. It was going pretty well down there. I still haven't seen a second pariah, which seems like a bit of bad luck (I looked at my old party and compared the relative numbers of tazens, golden centaurs, and pariahs I had seen... my solo character has seen about 1/4 as many of the other 12-14 mythicals but only 1/17th the pariahs!), but oh well. I did get a couple of the level 14 items that are upgrades. But then I was a bit careless after a few trips to 14 and I tried to run straight through a room on autopilot and it had garantuans in it. I kind of did a double take before I went all the way through the room, just in time to see "3 gargantuans hit you for 488, 2 gargantuans hit you for ... you dead!"

I checked exactly how tough they are, and wow, they've got a lot of hits for appearing in small groups and hitting so crazy hard. No wonder my old party had a lot of deaths to them even with 4 characters. I'm currently trying to take sorcerer all the way to 300, maybe higher, to bump my electric field damage enough that I can actually (probably) win a fight against them assuming I go first and am on the ball with my buffer. I THINK that at 300 sorcerer I will probably hit hard enough with an EF that it will kill enough of them that I'll survive... laugh.gif. Although really, the better idea is for me to just avoid them altogether at this point. I need to max my HP (I kind of assume defense doesn't really help against them, at least not much) and KNOW that I can nuke the group down before I tangle with them on purpose.

I've been playing a ton lately, though a lot of my time on my characters is my old laptop sitting there with mordor running while I wait on respawns or have run AFK to deal with something IRL while I'm meleeing down slithers or tarantulas or something. Haha. But I'm hoping I can be 300 sorc in 2-3 days (231 now) and then size up what I want to do from there. It sure is fun seeing EF hitting for nearly 600 sometimes against mother of serpents smile.gif

+Quote Post
Roland
post Dec 17 2018, 04:49 PM
Post #44

Soldier

Member No.: 8,408
referrer:Google

According to Seth's Spell Cost Tool, a Seeker's A/D maxes at 208/251 at level 428.

My Sorcerer is level 335. He can usually take out a room of Gargantuans with EF, but not always. The Healer's Word of Death is more reliable.

This post has been edited by Roland: Dec 17 2018, 04:56 PM

+Quote Post
Nudibranch
post Dec 17 2018, 05:21 PM
Post #45

Fire Master

As with all other instadeath monsters, Gargantuans eventually become much more survivable. It takes a really high Defense, however... 500+?

I love David Allen's hidden joke that their monster size is... "small".

--------------------

+Quote Post
fischsemmel
post Dec 17 2018, 05:43 PM
Post #46

Fighter

QUOTE (Roland @ Dec 17 2018, 11:49 AM) *
According to Seth's Spell Cost Tool, a Seeker's A/D maxes at 208/251 at level 428.

My Sorcerer is level 335. He can usually take out a room of Gargantuans with EF, but not always. The Healer's Word of Death is more reliable.

Yeah, I know that sometimes the minimum will be too low to kill a group of them, but I figure around 300 will be the point where it usually will kill enough of them that I can survive their melee to either escape and heal and repeat. If my napkin math is right, yeah, WOD is like maybe 10-15% more effective at the same SL; I've been focusing on sorcerer ever since I minimized restoration's cost though since it takes less experience and gives me a few different nukes that can be useful (electric field, paralyzing death, and very rarely arctic storm), with EF and PD both being cheaper to cast than WOD too smile.gif

But I'm still trying to avoid them. Fortunately as a neutral, a lot of the gargantuan groups I run into are peaceful anyways, even if I am slow on my backing out of the room!

QUOTE (Nudibranch @ Dec 17 2018, 12:21 PM) *
As with all other instadeath monsters, Gargantuans eventually become much more survivable. It takes a really high Defense, however... 500+?

It's definitely a "it's not the size of the dog in the fight" kind of thing huh? Haha

I'm still only about 400 defense (as a sorcerer, anyway), so yeah, quite a ways to go until I can not freak out when I see them or golden eagles, and I'm not even touching that last teleporter for a good long while.

+Quote Post
Roland
post Dec 17 2018, 07:21 PM
Post #47

Soldier

QUOTE (Nudibranch @ Dec 17 2018, 12:21 PM) *

Gargantuans were inherited from Avatar. I don't know whether size was a monster characteristic in Avatar, but I recall their icon being the same one used for goblins and other smallish humanoids. I don't think they were quite as deadly in Avatar as they are in Mordor.

+Quote Post
fischsemmel
post Dec 17 2018, 09:29 PM
Post #48

Fighter

Are fate traps actually random? I haven't failed one yet that resulted in me having over half spell points, and Ive probably failed 15-20. The last one put me at 96/687 hits and 2/225 spell points... laugh.gif

On the plus side, I just found a helm of brilliance and I killed a group of gargantuans (pretty handily, too). Went down the stairs to 14 and they were right there and I panicked to electric field instead of just taking the stairs back up. Killed all but 3, and they "only" did a few hundred to me smile.gif

This post has been edited by fischsemmel: Dec 17 2018, 09:42 PM

+Quote Post
Nudibranch
post Dec 17 2018, 11:16 PM
Post #49

Fire Master

QUOTE (fischsemmel @ Dec 17 2018, 04:29 PM) *
Are fate traps actually random? I haven't failed one yet that resulted in me having over half spell points, and Ive probably failed 15-20. The last one put me at 96/687 hits and 2/225 spell points... laugh.gif

On the plus side, I just found a helm of brilliance and I killed a group of gargantuans (pretty handily, too). Went down the stairs to 14 and they were right there and I panicked to electric field instead of just taking the stairs back up. Killed all but 3, and they "only" did a few hundred to me smile.gif

Yep, fate (and fate traps) is random. You apparently have an angry RNG god on your hands. And maybe you've been unlucky with your Pariah encounters, but considering you've gotten a Blessing already, you can't have been that unlucky.

I remember how intimidating the teleporter to 15 was my first time. Same for 9.

Helms of Brilliance are brilliant for surviving 14&15. So are Lightning Swords. Provided you're in the right guild.

--------------------

+Quote Post
Roland
post Dec 17 2018, 11:24 PM
Post #50

Soldier

I'm pretty sure Fate traps are random. They sometimes leave me with more hits and spells than before I triggered them.

+Quote Post
fischsemmel
post Dec 18 2018, 02:42 PM
Post #51

Fighter

I take back ever saying or implying that I'm unlucky in Mordor. Saw 2 more pariahs in the course of 7 more sorcerer levels this morning, and the second one dropped another blessing.

+Quote Post
Nudibranch
post Dec 19 2018, 06:11 AM
Post #52

Fire Master

QUOTE (Roland @ Dec 17 2018, 06:24 PM) *
I'm pretty sure Fate traps are random. They sometimes leave me with more hits and spells than before I triggered them.

I would often abuse them and have my Healer (non-thief) open them when low on SP. Free dose of Magical Dust.

--------------------

+Quote Post
fischsemmel
post Dec 19 2018, 06:22 AM
Post #53

Fighter

QUOTE (Nudibranch @ Dec 19 2018, 01:11 AM) *
I would often abuse them and have my Healer (non-thief) open them when low on SP. Free dose of Magical Dust.

Yeah, I remember doing this with my old party. 200 thief is seeing a lot of * on level 14 but of course I can't rely on that!

About 10 levels to go until I switch off of sorc. I think, without checking, that EF will drop to only 12 sp in there. Not sure if I'll try to level seeker some more for the defense, thief because traps are really annoying ATM on 13-14, or healer to improve WoD and reatoration. 50 more thief levels would probably go by very quickly barring a bad quest! Hmm

+Quote Post
fischsemmel
post Dec 21 2018, 02:09 AM
Post #54

Fighter

Holy Lord. I'd forgotten how much it costs to decurse curse of morrash. laugh.gif. I've seen 3 more pariahs and had one of those and some other cursed stuff. Nothing else of note happening really. Gaining some thief levels, still just going through mother of Serpents, 12-14 pariah rooms, and also checking shadow of death and dragon lairs. Being able to nuke down lamurian soldiers/guards with one EF is pretty great too. I might take thief all the way to 300 before I switch back to seeker or healer, since the exp is so easy! It'll be nice to waste less mana on failing exploding and fire and blackout disarms, for sure.

I swear though, my fate rolls... I burned a lot of Mana early on this trip so I used an elixir at 1 spell point to try to finish pinning. It put me up to 3 spell points.

Edit - ooh, just got another blessing! Seems my poor pariah spawn rate has corrected, but my good luck with blessing drops has not! smile.gif

This post has been edited by fischsemmel: Dec 21 2018, 02:23 AM

+Quote Post
Roland
post Dec 21 2018, 03:26 AM
Post #55

Soldier

Experience comes fast for Thieves, but their guild seem to require more gold than other guilds.

When you get to the higher level Lamurians, Paralyzing Death might work better. They have a lot of resistances.

+Quote Post
fischsemmel
post Dec 21 2018, 12:05 PM
Post #56

Fighter

QUOTE (Roland @ Dec 20 2018, 10:26 PM) *
Experience comes fast for Thieves, but their guild seem to require more gold than other guilds.

When you get to the higher level Lamurians, Paralyzing Death might work better. They have a lot of resistances.

Yeah, fortunately though at my level it still isn't too bad. I made about 2 billion while I was getting my guilds up to 150-200ish, and have slowly added another billion since as well, so I've got some gold to spare. The only thing I recharge is a ring of teleport really, and you can teleport out of the dungeon a lot of times on 20 million gold! I'm always tempted to carry a ring of fire or frost with me too, but I'm always paranoid it will get stolen even though I have several of each in confinement and they're not really important anyway unless I get quested one.

Looks like the level 14 lamurians are stronger against paralysis than electricity, but the new ones who pop up once I'm on 15 will be more vulnerable to electric field.

This post has been edited by fischsemmel: Dec 21 2018, 12:06 PM

+Quote Post
Nudibranch
post Dec 21 2018, 04:26 PM
Post #57

Fire Master

Count your Blessings, son.

One... two... three.

I picture them as being chains worn around the neck, so of course, I look like this: sneaky.gif

I pity da fool that don't play Mordor.

--------------------

+Quote Post
fischsemmel
post Dec 21 2018, 05:53 PM
Post #58

Fighter

Hah, that's great!

+Quote Post
fischsemmel
post Dec 21 2018, 09:54 PM
Post #59

Fighter

After adding almost 70 thief levels, I'm kind of disappointed with the improvement in handling traps. I thought I had the formula figured out and that 100 levels was going to add a SIGNIFICANT success chance to the same traps I was dealing with at thief 200, but I'm still hardly seeing any + on 14. IDing isn't hard with a bit of shift + back arrow to be sure, but I really want to be able to disarm all these stupid fire and exploding and blackout traps :-\

+Quote Post
Nudibranch
post Dec 22 2018, 03:56 AM
Post #60

Fire Master

Hmh. I don't remember what kind of disarming chances I was seeing years ago but by the time I reached Thief 999 I was getting ++ or +++ for almost everything on 15. I'm glad there's one guild that doesn't have a hard cap on improvement at high levels.

--------------------

+Quote Post

6 Pages V  < 1 2 3 4 5 > » 
Reply to this topicStart new topic
2 User(s) are reading this topic (2 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 22nd September 2019 - 05:24 PM
Bridged By IpbWiki: Integration Of Invision Power Board and MediaWiki © GlobalSoft
Copyrights and Credits