IPB

Welcome Guest ( Log In | Register )

6 Pages V  « < 4 5 6  
Reply to this topicStart new topic
> Recording a Mordor run - solo good elf!
fischsemmel
post Jul 16 2019, 01:48 PM
Post #101

Explorer

Group: Members Plus
Member No.: 6,580
referrer:Search engine

Iirc once I was on 11 with my osirri (and I have the same intentions for my human once he has a few more levels), I loved it. Pirahnas are annoying, so I just skip them. But otherwise I'd clear the lake and then fight my way through the white dragon, giant king, vampire on 9, and thr lake on 7 while waiting on 11 respawn. Probably visiting twisted elf and maybe goblin shaman&cockatrices too.

Hammerheads are a lot of xp, and even though there aren't many big groups, the water monsters on 11 are nice and safe and a lot higher level and hits than 7 stuff. I prefer not wandering through rooms randomly to level because of concern about running into nastier stuff... Lava Giants, phantasmal mists, mundragons, spellcaster groups, mythicals, ninjas. You may not need to worry about then as much as I do since your sorc level is much higher, but these things tend to wipe out my companion and/or do and take a lot of damage for the exp compared to lake monsters.
Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post
MythrilZenith
post Jul 19 2019, 02:26 PM
Post #102

Vagabond

Member No.: 6,867
referrer:A google-search for Mordor: Depths of Dejenol maps led me here!

I'm picking up a new path, though not one without danger. The quick route through 3, the stairs + teleporters from 4 to 6, then up to 7 and chute to 10, and then straight down to 11 and a single Eth Portal to hit up the White Dragon. I'm not *too* old right now (floating around 28), but the sooner I can build up a stash of Dragon's Blood the better. Still haven't gotten anything, but I've only really completed the trip a couple of times because it's a bit dangerous.

I say dangerous because sometimes I forget that Levitate is only 95% effective and try to walk over the chute to floor 12. I have since fallen down to 12 at least once, barely getting back with 50hp after using up 20 charges of Crystal of Healing and a handful of Dust of Healing. I've also been spamming a bit of the Static Sash, and my Ring of Frost has been recharged more times in the last few trips than I care to admit. I'm getting plenty of gold, so that's not an issue, but I'm almost out of Static Sash uses, so hopefully I find another one soon!

Currently Witches are my favorite companions to grab on the go, as they both fight well in melee and have some pretty good spell potential with the Elemental spells. They don't like sticking around for very long, but they usually die before then.

My current panic-button target (that isn't a lava giant or dragon) is Phantasmal Mist. I can kill them *mostly* reliably with Acid Spray from my around-240 Sorcerer, but if I ever spot any when I'm low on spell points they put up a mean fight. Breath attacks PLUS the paralyze/drain combo? diablo.gif One ended up hitting me through my paralysis resistance and I lost like 300hp before I got un-stunned.

Also sick of getting horrible rolls on surprise FATE traps. Been reduced to double-digit HP with only a handful of SP twice now. Doesn't make for a fun return trip - hence the reason why the Ring of Frost and Static Sashes are running dry.

Minimum Cost PD can't come soon enough. I need the extra Paladin A/D and I need it bad.
Does anyone know what level Sorcerer PD hits minimum? (should be 10SP). I don't have the tools to calculate that myself, because the formula for spell cost relies on knowing some modifier numbers that I can't access without an editor file.

This post has been edited by MythrilZenith: Jul 19 2019, 02:42 PM

--------------------
Just an average nomad trying to figure out how Mordor really works.

I've also taken the liberty of recording some videos of Mordor: Depths of Dejenol!

Classics are classic, but never mistake nostalgia for superiority. When older is better, it's because it truly is, not just because our perception of it makes it so.

+Quote Post
fischsemmel
post Jul 19 2019, 02:59 PM
Post #103

Explorer

Sounds like we're exploring about the same stuff now. Phantasmal mists are a huge pain, for sure. I'm surprised you had trouble with their paralysis though. I don't know if I've ever been paralyzed more than maybe 1 round when I have resist up. Lava giants and greymahs are my other big annoyances, though at least electrocute doesn't trigger unless they hit/cast.

What consumables do you tend to carry? I'm always paranoid a big stack of a consumable will get stolen so I try not to carry much.

The spell cost tool sticky in this forum section has an updated link in the newest posts that you can download. It lets you calculate costs, damage, and more by level, besides just being able to show minimum cost level.

This post has been edited by fischsemmel: Jul 19 2019, 03:19 PM

+Quote Post
MythrilZenith
post Jul 19 2019, 03:25 PM
Post #104

Vagabond

QUOTE (fischsemmel @ Jul 19 2019, 08:59 AM) *
Sounds like we're exploring about the same stuff now. Phantasmal mists are a huge pain, for sure. I'm surprised you had trouble with their paralysis though. I don't know if I've ever been paralyzed more than maybe 1 round when I have resist up. Lava giants and greymahs are my other big annoyances, though at least electrocute doesn't trigger unless they hit/cast.

What consumables do you tend to carry? I'm always paranoid a big stack of a consumable will get stolen so I try not to carry much.

I was surprised too. Most paralysis goes away as soon as it starts thanks to 95% resistance, but I just got REALLY unlucky that time.

Right now I'm carrying a healing item (a 10-ish use Dust of Healing right now), a Rod of Passage with a few charges (in case I get teleported into a walled-in section like the Demonist lair on floor 7 or the bottom-right corner of floor 10), and a Sphere of Entrapment for charms. I've combined up some bigger healing items over time but after having several stolen from mid-level monsters I haven't brought them with me in awhile. That said, I haven't really had many issues with items getting stolen since getting around 200 Scav levels, but it's always something to be careful of.

At first I was more worried about the 40 inventory limit on a single character, but unless I get buried in items from lower levels that doesn't seem to be much of a factor. I only ever hit that limit when I was questing for a rare mob in an easier part of the dungeon, like the Morgul quest on floor 4.

Edit: Oh nice, I didn't know there was a working download link, since most of the links here are to dead sites from 10 years ago angry.gif

This post has been edited by MythrilZenith: Jul 19 2019, 03:46 PM

--------------------

I've also taken the liberty of recording some videos of Mordor: Depths of Dejenol!

Classics are classic, but never mistake nostalgia for superiority. When older is better, it's because it truly is, not just because our perception of it makes it so.

+Quote Post
Roland
post Jul 19 2019, 06:11 PM
Post #105

Soldier

Member No.: 8,408
referrer:Google

QUOTE (MythrilZenith @ Jul 19 2019, 10:26 AM) *
Does anyone know what level Sorcerer PD hits minimum? (should be 10SP). I don't have the tools to calculate that myself, because the formula for spell cost relies on knowing some modifier numbers that I can't access without an editor file.

I use Seth's Spell Cost Tool, which you'll find in the downloads section. In addition to computing spell costs, it gives you the attack/defense sequences (plus extra swings) for all guilds. I use it a lot.

Paralyzing Death reaches minimum cost (10 sp) at guild level 311. Here are the levels for the other high-level Sorc spells:

Hail Storm 223
Sphere of Flames 259
Electric Field 313
Arctic Storm 351
Burning Air 369
Flesh to Stone 405

+Quote Post
MythrilZenith
post Jul 19 2019, 08:12 PM
Post #106

Vagabond

QUOTE (Roland @ Jul 19 2019, 12:11 PM) *
I use Seth's Spell Cost Tool, which you'll find in the downloads section. In addition to computing spell costs, it gives you the attack/defense sequences (plus extra swings) for all guilds. I use it a lot.

Paralyzing Death reaches minimum cost (10 sp) at guild level 311. Here are the levels for the other high-level Sorc spells:

Hail Storm 223
Sphere of Flames 259
Electric Field 313
Arctic Storm 351
Burning Air 369
Flesh to Stone 405

3... 31..... 311? blink.gif blink.gif blink.gif

I'm just gonna level Paladin for a bit and contemplate my life choices...

--------------------

+Quote Post
fischsemmel
post Jul 19 2019, 08:26 PM
Post #107

Explorer

You don't want to know about precognitive death and soul entrapment... laugh.gif

Edit - well I kinda take that back. Soul entrapment is lower than I thought it was, "only" 333. But precog, yeah, is nearly 400. It's word of death that gets really silly, especially for wizards. I keep telling myself that I will spend time as wizard later so I can cast WOD for the big guy. But I guess odds are in my favor of finding a cap of death (or three) long before I get around to taking wizard to 250+ for WOD to be usable in emergencies.

This post has been edited by fischsemmel: Today, 01:18 PM

+Quote Post

6 Pages V  « < 4 5 6
Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 21st July 2019 - 04:12 PM
Bridged By IpbWiki: Integration Of Invision Power Board and MediaWiki © GlobalSoft
Copyrights and Credits