> Solo Evil Morloch
Roland
post Jul 3 2019, 07:24 PM
Post #41

Mentor

Group: Members Plus
Member No.: 8,408
referrer:Google

Aelric eventually lost his Guardian to stoning. I decided to move up to a better companion. I bought a Lamurian Warrior from confinement and bound it for life. It's a lot easier to keep alive than the Guardian was.

Aelric has added a few levels of Mage, Nomad, and Warrior. Now he's working on Scavenger - he only needs a few more levels to bring Charm of Opening down to its minimum cost.
Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post
MythrilZenith
post Jul 3 2019, 07:33 PM
Post #42

Fighter

Member No.: 6,867
referrer:A google-search for Mordor: Depths of Dejenol maps led me here!

Have you found keeping one sturdy companion around worth the trouble of managing them (and spending OoLD on?) I generally find that I run into too many monsters with varied spells (like illusionists) or breath weapons (everything) to keep anything alive for very long, and unless my companions have spells or breath attacks themselves I haven't seen the extra damage output as significant. That said, I still have not done much with companions for the long-term so I will defer to your expertise on the matter.

--------------------
Just an average nomad trying to figure out how Mordor really works.

I've also taken the liberty of recording some videos of Mordor: Depths of Dejenol!

Classics are classic, but never mistake nostalgia for superiority. When older is better, it's because it truly is, not just because our perception of it makes it so.

+Quote Post
Roland
post Jul 5 2019, 07:00 PM
Post #43

Mentor

The Guardian was an experiment. I noticed that it had the highest defense of any charmable monster, plus several resistances at 50%, so I thought it might be easy to keep alive. But breath weapons - most often from Ice Demons - always took a toll, so it required a lot more healing than I expected. It was useful for speeding up combat against relatively weak monsters, but it wasn't so strong that it would kill things I was trying to charm. My conclusion: It would probably be a useful companion if you are running levels 1-6, but once you hit 7 (which is the main level I was running) you'll have to spend too much time and mana healing it.

I have a long familiarity with Lamurian Warriors. Along with Golden Eagles, they are my high-level Gnome Mage's favorite companions. They have high defense, lots of hits, and good resistances. As long as I keep my Mage at the back of the party, the only thing that kills them is Magi Lord. And when I lose them it's easy to find more in the lake on 15. I find they add useful clobbering power to my three-man party, which lacks a Giant.

I rarely use OOLD charges with my high-level party. My Gnome's Domination spell, renewed before every expedition and sometimes refreshed in progress, is sufficient to keep them bound. But Aelric's Domination spell is too weak and too costly to rely on with such a powerful monster. So far he has used only two OOLD charges - one on the Guardian and one on the Lamurian. Since I have lots of Orbs sitting around in storage, it's not much of a sacrifice.

I'm taking full advantage of Aelric's status as a legacy character, using all the items available to him. The main sacrifice I have accepted is that he is not going to have access to crests, other than Scavenger and Nomad, for a long time, if ever.

+Quote Post
Roland
post Jul 29 2019, 05:55 AM
Post #44

Mentor

Aelric is now 195 in Scavenger and 175 in his other four guilds - Nomad, Warrior, Sorcerer, and Mage. He has 619 hits, 1.8 billion gold, and 358/409 att/def (equipped as a Scavenger).

He lost a second Lamurian Warrior to stoning. Since then he hasn't tried to keep a permanent companion. I've been using him to stock the confinement, and that project is going well.

He is earning most of experience now on 8 and 9, with brief expeditions down to 10. I tried taking the chute from 7 to 10 yesterday and immediately stepped into a room full of Silent Eagles! Fortunately they were peaceful, and I ran away before they could reconsider! But that made me decide to stick close to the 9-10 stairs on visits to 10.

Next, I think I'll focus on Scavenger for 30 or 40 levels. Aelric needs better boxing skills and more hit points. Plus I love seeing "You backstabbed one!"

+Quote Post
fischsemmel
post Jul 29 2019, 12:31 PM
Post #45

Soldier

Member No.: 6,580
referrer:Search engine

Hah. It's fun seeing the elf, morloch, and human all at similar spots in their dungeon delving!

You could handle silent eagles pretty well I believe. 400 is a lot of defense for any floor above 13, and still enough for 13 if you don't check out the stud rooms where golden eagles can hang out. Two big nukes would just about clear them out... though if they don't have loot it isn't worth it I guess.

What weapon are you wielding in scav?

+Quote Post
Roland
post Jul 29 2019, 03:38 PM
Post #46

Mentor

QUOTE (fischsemmel @ Jul 29 2019, 08:31 AM) *
What weapon are you wielding in scav?

Vampire Fang. For some reason, Scavengers can't use Avenger. With 34 strength (thanks to the crest), Aelric can usually one-shot most monsters on 9 and above with the VF. On 10, he finds monsters that often take three swings (Holy Warrior, Witch).

Wielding a one-handed weapon allows him to use a Shield of Defense, which gives electrical resistance as well as +18 defense. Given how often he blows blackout traps, that saves him a lot of spell points!

+Quote Post
fischsemmel
post Jul 30 2019, 07:29 PM
Post #47

Soldier

QUOTE (Roland @ Jul 29 2019, 11:38 AM) *
Vampire Fang. For some reason, Scavengers can't use Avenger. With 34 strength (thanks to the crest), Aelric can usually one-shot most monsters on 9 and above with the VF. On 10, he finds monsters that often take three swings (Holy Warrior, Witch).

Wielding a one-handed weapon allows him to use a Shield of Defense, which gives electrical resistance as well as +18 defense. Given how often he blows blackout traps, that saves him a lot of spell points!

Hmm. I should try my avenger and a sword and board combo again to see if this GKH I've been using is really worth it. Then again I'm almost to my 2nd extra swing, at which point I think GKH gets an awfully big boost.

+Quote Post
Roland
post Aug 18 2019, 06:01 AM
Post #48

Mentor

After making my goal of 235 (and 699 hits) in Scavenger, I've been working on Nomad. Things were going well until I got quested for a Blue Slime. I'm pretty sure this monster has companion-related spawning problems like so many others. Only 52 have ever been seen in my dungeon (compared to over 2,000 Violet Fungi, which are supposedly much rarer). In the process of trying to make his quest, Aelric got stoned. I think that was his third death. I sent the Dwarven rescue party to patch him up. He pinned shortly after that, and I forfeited the quest. Nomad levels come so fast that it's not worth wasting time on a hard quest. Only 12 more Nomad levels to max out his att/def. Shortly after that I'll start working on Warrior again.

In other news, I added a third Tengu to confinement, along with my first Silver Dragon. I could probably be making levels a lot faster if I weren't putting so much effort into stocking the confinement.

+Quote Post
fischsemmel
post Aug 18 2019, 12:03 PM
Post #49

Soldier

Part of the reason you see so many more violet fungi js because they appear in 4 groups, and a lot are in each group. But yeah, blue slimes never seemed very common in my games either.

With my human right now, for example, his library says 12 blue slimes vs. 80 violet fungi, but I'm pretty sure I've only actually seen violent fungi on 2 ocassions (because they scare the hell out of me and I avoid the rooms after that).

This post has been edited by fischsemmel: Aug 18 2019, 12:20 PM

+Quote Post
MythrilZenith
post Aug 19 2019, 06:46 AM
Post #50

Fighter

All this hassle over Blue Slimes, when in my last grinding session I came across two groups of them (assuming proper identification) within fairly quick succession. It was around floor 10 actually, just wandering the maze of square-ish corridors below the middle stairs from 10 to 11, in the dead center of the map. They weren't too scary and I half thought of charming one for confinement purposes, but it was over too quickly because my gut reaction upon seeing the slime monster sprite is to spam static mesh (or electric field) and immediately run away.

I ALWAYS seem to run into a massive pack of Violet Fungi in the reverse-L shape room starting at 16,28,12. The first time I poked my head in I nope'd the heck out. One time I tried to run through, hit the wrong arrow key on the corner, got trapped there for another 2 rounds longer than I had intended, and escaped with less than 100 hits left. Freaking fungi. That room was a half-decent shortcut between my north-side Pariah checks and my vague attempts to map out the crater on 13, hence why I visited it so many times, but now that I've mapped that out I feel no more need to step into that room ever again.

I had an interesting string of quests myself, a Tazen followed by a Water Watcher followed by a Phase Beast. Luckily Tazens are common af (though it was in my hunt for a Tazen that I came across two blue slimes before I found it), and I had the other two stocked in my confinement. Such a good feeling to be able to just "borrow" that vital quest reward, especially when it's rare.

--------------------

I've also taken the liberty of recording some videos of Mordor: Depths of Dejenol!

Classics are classic, but never mistake nostalgia for superiority. When older is better, it's because it truly is, not just because our perception of it makes it so.

+Quote Post
Roland
post Aug 19 2019, 08:47 PM
Post #51

Mentor

I also often encounter Violet Fungi in the L-shaped room on 12 - unless I'm quested for them, in which case they go into hiding.

The encounter chance for Blue Slime is 50, while that for Violet Fungus is 8. So BS encounters should be about 6 times as common as VF encounters. But in practice they seem to be about equally common. (The Wiki does not give the encounter chance. I got it from the Hendersons' site.)

I checked the data for generating companions, and that does not seem to explain the BS spawning problem. BS should be able to spawn with Grey Ooze companions. However, it looks like the level-14 Golden Ooze might have companion-related spawning problems.

+Quote Post
MythrilZenith
post Aug 19 2019, 10:52 PM
Post #52

Fighter

QUOTE (Roland @ Aug 19 2019, 02:47 PM) *
The encounter chance for Blue Slime is 50, while that for Violet Fungus is 8. So BS encounters should be about 6 times as common as VF encounters. But in practice they seem to be about equally common. (The Wiki does not give the encounter chance. I got it from the Hendersons' site.)

Blue Slimes might not spawn as often because their available floors, perhaps? Because BS is available as early as floor 8, but I'm not sure how many slime spawns there are on floor 8 in particular. I don't know if there is some built-in system which prefers monster of the highest possible level available, which would explain why VF shows up more than BS on floor 9+.

--------------------

+Quote Post
Roland
post Aug 22 2019, 01:02 AM
Post #53

Mentor

Aelric reached Nomad 197 last night, which gives him the maximum att/def you can get as a Nomad (175/175). He'll be stuck there until he makes a whole lot of Warrior levels.

I'm going to keep leveling in Nomad a while longer before I switch to Warrior - the guild crest comes at 226. And I won't wait too long before I return to Nomad again since Pendragon comes at 238 (and I happen to have an evil one sitting around unused). The extra cha from the Pendragon will allow me to cast Soul Entrapment even if I get drained for 1 cha.

I haven't been running very deep. Nomad levels come so fast that by the time I get down to 8 I'm nearly pinned. Unless I'm quested, that is. Last night it took me a while to find a Ninja, and nearly as long to find a Courrier, strangely.

+Quote Post
MythrilZenith
post Aug 22 2019, 02:14 PM
Post #54

Fighter

QUOTE (Roland @ Aug 21 2019, 07:02 PM) *
Aelric reached Nomad 197 last night, which gives him the maximum att/def you can get as a Nomad (175/175). He'll be stuck there until he makes a whole lot of Warrior levels.

I'm going to keep leveling in Nomad a while longer before I switch to Warrior - the guild crest comes at 226. And I won't wait too long before I return to Nomad again since Pendragon comes at 238 (and I happen to have an evil one sitting around unused). The extra cha from the Pendragon will allow me to cast Soul Entrapment even if I get drained for 1 cha.

I haven't been running very deep. Nomad levels come so fast that by the time I get down to 8 I'm nearly pinned. Unless I'm quested, that is. Last night it took me a while to find a Ninja, and nearly as long to find a Courrier, strangely.

The different methods of play we have. You're running full legacy, on an install that's been through 15 before. I'm running on legacy with whatever I had available, but had never visited deeper than like 10 before. Fischsemmel runs on fresh install. It's interesting to see the differences in strategy that guide us, but also the similarities that hold the runs together. You have a lot of plans for even specific leveling just because of items you have available. I powered early for some mid-game equipment but then plateaued until I found new stuff myself. Fisch had to scrape the bottom of the barrel at the start for any sort of equipment, but as soon as he started taking off he just went straight through whatever classes he wanted, no regard for leveling others just for equipment.

Basically, the more "legacy" a character is, the more interest there is in leveling Nomad, it seems.

This post has been edited by MythrilZenith: Aug 22 2019, 02:15 PM

--------------------

+Quote Post
Roland
post Aug 22 2019, 07:51 PM
Post #55

Mentor

The downside of legacy is that some crests are already claimed by high-level characters. Aelric would have to reach 526 to get the Crest of the Warrior, and 336 for Mage and Sorcerer - and that assumes my high-level characters will not level further in those guilds. I've toyed with the idea of leveling in Villain just because the crest is available, but the one crest I already have - Scavenger - is better than the Villain crest.

+Quote Post
MythrilZenith
post Aug 23 2019, 02:17 PM
Post #56

Fighter

QUOTE (Roland @ Aug 22 2019, 01:51 PM) *
The downside of legacy is that some crests are already claimed by high-level characters. Aelric would have to reach 526 to get the Crest of the Warrior, and 336 for Mage and Sorcerer - and that assumes my high-level characters will not level further in those guilds. I've toyed with the idea of leveling in Villain just because the crest is available, but the one crest I already have - Scavenger - is better than the Villain crest.

I heard somewhere that there's a certain .mdr file that, let me look that up...

Okay, found the page in question:
If deleted, these files are recreated on a subsequent execution of Mordor.exe, and are not necessary for the program to run. Deleting any of these erases what they contains, returning the data to how it would've been upon the original startup of Mordor.

mdata4.mdr: Character information
mdata6.mdr: General Store contents
mdata7.mdr: Current guildmasters
mdata8.mdr: Automap data
mdata9.mdr: Guild logs
mdata10.mdr: Current condition of dungeon (ie, treasure chest locations, presence of monsters in certain rooms)
mdata12.mdr: Existing parties
mdata13.mdr: Library entries
mdata14.mdr: Hall of records
mdata15.mdr: Confinement creatures

So in theory if you delete the mdata7.mdr file you should clear it to default guildmasters. If it's like other info in Mordor, it won't re-populate unless you actively play that given character. Failing that, you could remove the character from the game file before clearing mdata7, then bring them back in after you attain your rightfully-earned crests.

That said, this brings back the whole idea of a "living town" to my mind, where multiple players are playing on the same Mordor server, comparing progress, stocking the shop, hearing about each other's feats only when they pass each other in town or visit the guild libraries. Wishing to add the other character to their party, but being limited by passwords.

I vaguely remember someone had the idea of having a community Mordor install on a DropBox or google drive, but the failings with that were that not only was accessing and reuploading fairly tedious, but also only one player could "check out" the install at a time, to avoid overwriting other people's progress.

This post has been edited by MythrilZenith: Aug 23 2019, 02:21 PM

--------------------

+Quote Post
Roland
post Aug 23 2019, 07:36 PM
Post #57

Mentor

If I wanted to cheat, I know an easier way: just modify the character's item list, adding the relevant crests. I actually did that with my Gnome so that he could get a Crest of the Nomad earlier than he would have otherwise. Here, though, I am accepting the lack of crests as a fair penalty to compensate for legacy advantages.

The big difference between Mordor and Avatar is that the latter was a multi-player world. Many of the features from Avatar exist in Mordor - e.g., the store - but they don't serve their intended purpose in a single-player, single-party context. Avatar even had forums outside the game where players could strike deals to buy and sell rare items - or give away burned-up sashes to newbies, since the store could not stock them. When someone died, there was usually a Seeker around to rescue them and a Healer to raise them. And when you were having quest trouble, you could ask others to report appearances of the monster and save it for you. In short, many of the vestigial features of Avatar in Mordor exist to provide opportunities for interaction between players, but they don't function unless you have others playing in your dungeon.

+Quote Post
Roland
post Sep 3 2019, 08:19 PM
Post #58

Mentor

After a weekend of binging, Aelric is now Warrior 225. He can one-shot most monsters on 8 and 9 with his Vamp Fang, and I've even toyed with the idea of switching to Vorpal Blade to get more swings.

I've taken him down the chute to 10 a few times, and he can survive easily there. But even if I make a beeline for the nearest stairs and head back up without any side trips, he still pins well before he gets back to town. So there's not much incentive to run deeper than 8 and 9 for now. That will probably change when he resumes leveling in Mage and Sorcerer, with their higher experience requirements.

The next goal is 260 in Scavenger, which will raise his hits to 749. Then back to Nomad until he gets access to the Pendragon.

Aelric's charisma is so low, as a Morloch, that peaced encounters turn hostile fairly quickly if he doesn't exit the room promptly. I guess encounter reactions must be based on natural, rather than modified, charisma.

Last night Aelric bought the only pair of Gloves of Doom in the store. They were aligned good, so he had to pay double to flip them to evil. All together, the price to buy and flip them was around 150 million. But after spending all that gold, he still has over 2 billion in the bank - more than all three of my high-level characters combined. With the Gloves of Doom, he is trading away 2 STR for 1 point each of DEX, INT, and WIS, plus some defense. The 2 STR were not contributing to damage (just shy of a break point), but the other stats will help with initiative and boxing.

I've been making a concerted effort to fill the confinement, and that project is going well. I'll make a separate report on it in the near future.

+Quote Post
MythrilZenith
post Sep 6 2019, 06:31 PM
Post #59

Fighter

Filling the confinement takes quite the effort. How are you keeping track of what monsters you already have and what you still need? Do you have like a checklist or spreadsheet for it?
I need to get to work on filling the confinement myself, but I have so many monsters in it already that it's going to take some sorting just to figure out what I already have.

--------------------

+Quote Post
Roland
post Sep 6 2019, 07:57 PM
Post #60

Mentor

QUOTE (MythrilZenith @ Sep 6 2019, 02:31 PM) *
Filling the confinement takes quite the effort. How are you keeping track of what monsters you already have and what you still need? Do you have like a checklist or spreadsheet for it?
I need to get to work on filling the confinement myself, but I have so many monsters in it already that it's going to take some sorting just to figure out what I already have.

I created a monster checklist in Excel, sorted by monster type and dungeon floor. I added two useful bits of info - encounter chance if 5 or less, and whether charm resistant. I excluded level-16 monsters, which are all charm resistant. I would be happy to share it with you.

P.S. I just tried to upload the file to the downloads section of this site, but .xls is not a permitted file type. If you would like a copy of the file, PM me with your e-mail address.

This post has been edited by Roland: Sep 6 2019, 08:07 PM

+Quote Post

4 Pages V  < 1 2 3 4 >
Reply to this topicStart new topic
2 User(s) are reading this topic (2 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 22nd October 2019 - 05:01 AM
Bridged By IpbWiki: Integration Of Invision Power Board and MediaWiki © GlobalSoft
Copyrights and Credits