> Community Contests - Round 1
Crusher Junior
post Jan 2 2011, 11:06 PM
Post #1

Nomad Slayer

Group: Mordor MP Mod
Member No.: 10
referrer:braindead

As promised, we are offering opportunities for fans to contribute to development through community contests. We will post batches of items and monsters each round. Some rounds we will post a random selection of items and monsters, while other rounds there will be a theme. Please read through the first post of this thread for rules and guidelines before posting your description(s).

The number in parenthesis indicates what level of the dungeon the item or monster is first found on to guide you in judging its relative power. If you have any disagreements with the classification of a monster, let us know and we will consider your classification.

Items
  • Delvar's War Axe (level 4)
  • Mystic Shield (level 7)
  • Lethe Dagger (level 2)
  • Lightning Cube (level 9)
  • Silver Cloak (level 11)

Monsters
  • Hobglobin (Humanoid, level 6)
  • Pit Fiend (Demon, level 13)
  • Poltergeist (Devil, level 6)
  • Que'ssus (Reptile, level 8)
  • Ice Dragon (Dragon, level 13)

Good luck and have fun! We look forward to reading your descriptions! ok.gif

--------------------
It's only funny until someone gets hurt...then it's HILARIOUS

To misquote Bill Gates: "500 million should be enough for anyone".
-elro
Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post
grobblewobble
post Jan 3 2011, 01:08 AM
Post #2

Dungeon Master

Group: Mordor MP Prog
Member No.: 134
referrer:Slimey's site

Here is a candidate description.

[*]Delvar's War Axe
You're looking at a huge, barbed axe with ancient stains of dried blood and wonder how any dwarf could wield such a thing. As you carefully run your finger across the edge, you hurt yourself.. old as it may look, it is still razor sharp. Could this be the legendary battle axe of Delvar? According to folk tales this weapon was forged in the golden age of the dwarves and enchanted by magical runes of great power. It gained great fame when Delvar wielded it in the battle of Morhannon, where he single-handedly defeated the azure hyded wyrm Aneximander. Later that night, when the dwarves were celebrating their victory with lots of ale, Delvar had an argument with his brother over how to share the treasure and was murdered with his own axe. What happened to the axe after the tragic incident is a mystery..

As you inspect the weapon in front of you closer and remove some dust, you notice magical runes and the initials of Delvar.. shivers run down your spine. Could it be that you just found it, here in the dungeons of Dejenol? Or.. would it perhaps be a forgery?

This post has been edited by grobblewobble: Jan 3 2011, 01:12 AM

--------------------
Fear the Society of the Psychic Tyco

+Quote Post
Technomancer
post Jan 3 2011, 06:24 AM
Post #3

Drifter

Group: Members Plus
Member No.: 4,716
referrer:Google, TWICE!

This sounds fun, and I think I'll try to write up a few entries, but right now, I just wanted to point something out. I think the Ice Dragon entry is wrong. I was going through an editor to get a feel for each entry and noticed/remembered that the Ice Dragon is a level 13 Dragon. Now, what I think is going on is there is an Ice *Demon* that is a level 3 Water-Dweller, and it's just a mix-up. smile.gif

Oh, and something else I thought of that might be useful is to post any graphics of these Items and Monsters, if there are any. Pictures might help inspire descriptions. However if there aren't graphics, a good description could help drawing something up, so chicken and egg and all that... biggrin.gif

+Quote Post
Crusher Junior
post Jan 3 2011, 06:58 AM
Post #4

Nomad Slayer

Group: Mordor MP Mod
Member No.: 10
referrer:braindead

QUOTE (Technomancer @ Jan 3 2011, 01:24 AM) *
This sounds fun, and I think I'll try to write up a few entries, but right now, I just wanted to point something out. I think the Ice Dragon entry is wrong. I was going through an editor to get a feel for each entry and noticed/remembered that the Ice Dragon is a level 13 Dragon. Now, what I think is going on is there is an Ice *Demon* that is a level 3 Water-Dweller, and it's just a mix-up. smile.gif

That indeed should have read Ice Dragon, level 13 Dragon. Thanks for catching that error, Technomancer.

--------------------
It's only funny until someone gets hurt...then it's HILARIOUS

To misquote Bill Gates: "500 million should be enough for anyone".
-elro

+Quote Post
rb10c
post Jan 3 2011, 12:21 PM
Post #5

Infiltrator

Member No.: 3,954
referrer:i'm a DIEHARD FAN!!

Hobgoblin-
A monster that is related to a goblin and is the same in size, but is much, much stronger. Unfortunately for you, the Hobgoblin is far more cunning. Adventurers frequently mistake a Hobgoblin for its weaker cousin and end up being slaughtered in a humiliating rite.

unfortunately, this is all i can think of.

--------------------
http://macjams.com/artist/rb10c - my music site!
mordor, my favourite game EVER!!

QUOTE (rb10c @ Feb 14 2011, 03:22 PM) *
Darn, I went off-topic on an off-topic topic. Who's going to go off topic on this off topic, off topic topic?

+Quote Post
Caudex
post Jan 3 2011, 11:29 PM
Post #6

Journeyman

Group: Members
Member No.: 616
referrer:google

Lethe Dagger:

The blade of this otherwise non-descript weapon shimmers in the light, as if it were made of flowing water. Its origins are unclear; it is almost as if history has forgotten its existence entirely.

A classical reference for you there, and (for once) one that isn't even particularly oblique.

--------------------
et qui nolunt occidere quemquam posse volunt. Juvenal, Satire X

+Quote Post
Technomancer
post Jan 4 2011, 02:16 AM
Post #7

Drifter

Ok, I've got a couple. These are quite long, but I thought it seemed alright to add specific character stories to them since these are both fairly unique items:

---

* Mystic Shield (level 7)
Throughout the Ages, wielders of the Mystic Arts have been respected for the miraculous feats, and feared for the horrific destruction, they can issue forth. However, just as everyone knows that you don't pick a fight with a Wizard at 30 paces, everyone also knows that at 3 paces, even an average Joe could take one in a fist-fight. This fact had just been an accepted part of Mystic life from time immemorial. Accepted that is, until a Wizard by the name of Dodrich found himself face-to-face with this adage in a most rude fashion: face down in a cobblestone alleyway, bleeding profusely from the nose... missing his staff... and all his gold.

Tired of having to put up with this kind of abuse from street urchins, and intent on assisting his fellow practitioners of the Art, the intrepid Dodrich set about creating armor for his kind. One of his first creations was the Mystic Shield, a strong but lightweight shield inscribed with runes that only wielders of Magic could use. Lauded as a genius for empowering magic users everywhere, he gained a fair bit of wealth and esteem from his Mystic Shields. Eventually he decided, however, that he was no longer content as a crafter and merchant, and he took to the Depths with one of his shields to smite the vile creatures there and prove his new creation. Unfortunately, he forgot that even though he was better protected, he still didn't know how to fight and soon found himself face down on a dungeon floor bleeding profusely from... everywhere... missing his staff... and all his gold... and his Mystic Shield.

---

* Lightning Cube (level 9)
Many are the items that can summon forth magical forces, some can be used by anyone, others are usable only by practitioners of the Art. Why would a Magician need something to cast his or her spells for them? The renowned, and short-tempered, Sorcerer and adventurer Voltaire knew that there were few things more annoying than having to reserve you're magical power so you had enough for the journey back. This, along with his unnatural obsession with thunderstorms, was his primary motivation for creating the Lightning Cube. These small, 3" Adamantine cubes bear inlays of Mythril tracing electrical arcs all over it's face. The Mythril ripples with electricity and sparks shoot across the Cube's surface constantly. Fed up with having to "play it safe", Voltaire created a respectable stockpile of these devices and carried the lot with him on his explorations.

With his collection of Lightning Cubes, he no longer had to concern himself with running out of magical power in the Depths, and pushed himself to venture deeper and deeper. During one fateful trip deep into the dungeon however, in his overconfidence, he expended himself completely and had to depend solely on his Cubes to fight his way back to town. His one miscalculation was that, while rare, some monsters were completely immune to Electricity. Monsters like the Elemental Phantasmal Mists that now appeared before him and blocked his way, attracted to these charged, crackling little devices. Finding his trinkets ineffective, he threw the lot of them to the floor in anger. In a stroke of luck, the Phantasmal Mists were drawn to them, giving Voltaire an opportunity to escape. He managed to make it up 3 more floors until he ran into a group of adventurers that mistook him for a Warlock and blasted him. Realizing the mistake, they were kind enough to take him to the Morgue and pay for his revival. Between his indignation over what had transpired and his 'complications', he soon retired from adventuring.

+Quote Post
aardless
post Jan 4 2011, 03:32 PM
Post #8

Goblin Shaman at work (used to be: on strike...)

Group: Admin
Member No.: 18
referrer::yahoo:

You're doing great guys! I like them all so far, even though there are a few typos...
Very good point about pictures, Technomancer.

--------------------
If money doesn't grow on trees, why is it that banks have branches? - sig of a guy on a chinese forum

Most off-topic topics are off-topic - fart642000

+Quote Post
yff
post Jan 5 2011, 09:57 AM
Post #9

Drifter

Member No.: 3,976
referrer:Google ftw

Que'ssus

A relatively common-looking reptile, the Que'ssus is a sturdy and toxic foe nonetheless.

Legend has it that its name comes from that one time an explorer with a heavy latin accent, being a little too adventurous for his level, met one which he mistook for its tamer cousin, the I'ssus, and thus proceded to walk right onto the reptile's head. That his last word upon seeing the monster's head around his foot instead of under it was "¿Que?" will unfortunately remain unconfirmed, as the only remaining piece of the poor spaniard happens to be a poison-oozing ear.

+Quote Post
grobblewobble
post Jan 6 2011, 04:57 AM
Post #10

Dungeon Master

Group: Mordor MP Prog
Member No.: 134
referrer:Slimey's site

[*]Poltergeist

The poltergeists encountered in the depths of Dejenol aren't merely mischievous, they are vicious beings. Their presence is mostly marked by an an eerie silence in a seemingly deserted room. Only when the unsuspecting adventurer steps inside and the door suddenly bangs shut behind them, will he realize his mistake. Bizarre, frightening sounds fill the room. Is that someone knocking on the other side of the wall? Is that someone laughing, or is it crying? Suddenly, objects on the floor start to move randomly about. The adventurer is stumped with telekinetic blasts and loose stones that are unexplicably launched into his direction. Yes, he is in for a rough ride today.

This post has been edited by grobblewobble: Jan 6 2011, 04:58 AM

--------------------
Fear the Society of the Psychic Tyco

+Quote Post
Technomancer
post Jan 6 2011, 08:46 AM
Post #11

Drifter

Alright, I got 3 more, but I think I'm tapped. I tried to take into account original Alignments, relations to other monsters, etc. For the Pit Fiend, I also assumed there was a conflict between Demons and Devils (a la the D&D Blood War) that probably accounts for why old Asmo hasn't already come to town and ended the dang mortician that keeps reviving the adventurers he kills!

---

*Hobgoblin (Humanoid, level 6)
Distant cousins of Orcs and Goblins, their features are not quite as harsh, but are still rather grotesque by civilized standards, which suits them fine since they are rather anti-social and distrustful of outsiders. They are stronger than many of their cousins and are very capable warriors. Unlike their cousins however, they are no longer as malicious, violent, and warlike, preferring to carve out their own lairs and be left alone. They will not shrink from a fight however, and when others intrude upon their abodes, they can still be quite vicious.

---

*Pit Fiend (Demon, level 13)
Among the Demonic Hordes, few entities are more feared than the mighty Pit Fiends, clothed in flame, captains among Demonkind, and the mightiest of Demons that bear no true Title or Office. Scouring the lowest depths for Devils and other threats (like enterprising adventurers), Pit Fiends are trusted to keep the rest of the Lower Demons in the dungeon in line and to lead them in their eternal conflict with the Devils. They also seek to dominate all other denizens of the Depths, and are merciless and single-minded in their pursuits.

---

*Que'ssus (Reptile, level 8)
Every novice adventurer is familiar with the denizens of the upper dungeon, including the serpents known as the I’ssus, and their larger cousins the Ye’ssus. What most never have an opportunity to learn is these are merely the weak cast-offs of the malevolent and powerful Que’ssus that nest deep in the dungeon. Among the most powerful evil serpents found in the dungeon, their relatives that lurk in the upper levels are merely dumb animals born in large broods to the Que’ssus that are run off and find their way to safer grounds. In each brood, however, a handful of Que’ssus are also born and are strong enough to stay and stake out their own territories.

The Que’ssus are not just animals. They are quite intelligent and malicious, using this evil cunning to make plans and dominate others. While they despise other creatures, they are capable of working together for common goals. Unfortunately, when their immediate goals are met, Que’ssus have a tendency to get quite hungry...

+Quote Post
Ryhet
post Jan 6 2011, 08:55 AM
Post #12

Apprentice

Group: Members
Member No.: 6,529
referrer:forgot

Ice Dragon
The room grows chill at your approach. A gust of arctic wind sweeps through the corridor and you know yourself to be in the presence of an ice dragon. Tread swiftly. Though a fearsome fighter when threatened, this beast needs nothing more than cold indifference to end your life.

Silver Cloak
Money isn't always the answer. But one craftsmen begged to differ. A blade of platinum, an armor of gold, a cloak of silver. Though none were an initial hit, the cloak soon proved popular with nobles for it's blade defying qualities and dashing look. It can now be found the world over gracing the shoulders of the obscenely rich.

+Quote Post

Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 16th July 2019 - 03:15 PM
Bridged By IpbWiki: Integration Of Invision Power Board and MediaWiki © GlobalSoft
Copyrights and Credits