IPB

Welcome Guest ( Log In | Register )

Reply to this topicStart new topic
> Committing to finally "finishing" Mordor!
grumpsey
post May 8 2019, 10:56 PM
Post #1

Student

Group: Members Plus
Member No.: 8,723
referrer:Google

Hi Everyone! Let me just start by giving a bit of a background. When I was around 10, Mordor 1.1 released, with the demo version on some random disc I happened across. My best mate and I loved it, eventually getting comfortable on lvl 3 and I remember grinding up to buy sword of the winds! There was only one so we would always argue about who should use it! After a while we started on other things and mordor settled in a draw somewhere.

Fast forward a few years and I managed to secure the full version, games like D2 etc are now all the rage but somehow mordor sucked me back in. Starting fresh, I couldn't imagine getting close to 15 after how hard I remember the goblin lord being, but I pushed on. I think I made it down to around 5 before I accidentally stoned my whole party while mucking around with seeker. What a way to go out... I didn't have the stamina to recover this situation so Mordor once again collected dust.

27 Years old... WoW is going strong, lifes busy though, started my own business with my wife supporting me but Mordor peeps its head. The game which started my love of games... I just had to finish it, one day I randomly heard music which sounded like the mordor theme and instantly the passion came back! This would be it. I set up a dosbox etc. etc. no luck, i ended up completely partitioning an old HD JUST to get Mordor going. Lets do this properly. Gather the resources, start some legacy characters, optimal HP route.. lets, do, it. Back down past lvl 5.. 6... 7! Butcher! The Lake I heard so much about. This is going well. Grind some more.. level 8.. found the teleporters but 9 is too much. Need more support classes, don't have a thief. Start grinding support classes but it takes time.. limited time... new work contract and mordor gets left behind again. Asmo still lurking deep down in my conciousness...

All the way to today, over 20 years later, well into my 30's - business is great, family life trucking along, got our dream house on the beach... but something still lurks.. Something small, a sound again on the radio, brings it rushing forward... After all these years there is still something left undone, a small part of me which longs to be fulfilled.

Bring forth Grumpsey, Seeka and Druwid. The team which I hope can go all the way. Orignial Fresh Characters, no legacy this time, just get in and do the work. Push hard, push deep. Resistances this time, early, Druwid takes the War/Sorc Role, Seeka is my Giant War/Seeker and Grumpsey for Heals. Nomad/Healer/Thief.

I worked out quickly that I wanted another healer to support so I brought Druwid up to 35 for 2SP Minor Heal and use the heal spell level bug while his warrior so Grumpsey can put more effort into thief/Nomad.

I broke past lvl 9 - all the way down to 12 now. It's looking good. Seeka and Druwid are now full Mithril and Grumpsey behind them they managed to take down Mother of Serpents Yesterday without leaving the room. They just stumbled in to her and took a stand, Grumpsey took a big acid hit but survived, no decent loot but its a good sign.

Asmo - I am coming for you - I won't give up this time.

I will keep you all updated - This game has kept me hooked for 20 years! It's incredible something so simple can be so perfect! Will this finally be the time I make it all the way? I can't say it will, but it's the best shot yet!

Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post
grumpsey
post May 9 2019, 03:40 AM
Post #2

Student

Did some runs of MoS today and the usual stops (GK etc.) and got some lucky spectral gear, along with an extra vampire fang for Grumpsey - while exploring 12 a little I found the 13 stairs to what I am assuming is the graveyard. Decided to have a play and managed to clear it without too many dramas, but nothing from the chests. Chests are my biggest bane, as usually I can only properly ID 50% of them, so its hit and miss with teleport and blackout etc, for which Druwid can only rebuff two or three times. This seems to limit me more than running out of healing SP. More Thief levels perhaps!

A tad annoying is my route to 12 - on 11 it seems the best way to the stairs is to Portal out to the corridor run around the blackout square room, and portal in to the 12 stairs. Just seems inefficient, but the other set of stairs feels like it takes way longer and further from my regular stops. Maybe there is a good chute or something to speed this up, something else to look into smile.gif

But thats a new goal - lvl 13 found! Might not rush this one and do some more farming on 11/12 before starting to head to 13 too often. Maybe just graveyard clear as I hear dragons blood / Blessings can come out of there.

Asmo! GETTING CLOSER BUDDY! yahoo.gif

+Quote Post
Nudibranch
post May 9 2019, 05:33 AM
Post #3

Fire Master

Group: Mordor MP Prog
Member No.: 71
referrer:search

Go git 'im! smile.gif

--------------------
I would have started with lasers. Eight o'clock. Day one.

+Quote Post
Roland
post May 9 2019, 09:32 PM
Post #4

Fighter

Member No.: 8,408

QUOTE (grumpsey @ May 8 2019, 11:40 PM) *
A tad annoying is my route to 12 - on 11 it seems the best way to the stairs is to Portal out to the corridor run around the blackout square room, and portal in to the 12 stairs. Just seems inefficient, but the other set of stairs feels like it takes way longer and further from my regular stops. Maybe there is a good chute or something to speed this up, something else to look into smile.gif

Do you mean the room at 10,21,11? I used to cast Displacement to get from stairway to stairway on 11 without going through that room - until I discovered that the room is not actually a blackout room. I'm not sure what the symbol means, but it is slightly different from the blackout symbol. Now I walk through that room all the time, and it doesn't dispel my buffs.

Regarding IDing traps: Do you know about the trick where you back out of the room and re-enter multiple times to get a fresh ID? If you have decent thieving skill, the ID will eventually converge and you'll be able to figure out what the trap is. Unfortunately, a correct ID doesn't seem to help you disarm it.

I clear the Graveyard just about every run, and I have at least a dozen Dragon's Bloods in storage. But you'll need a different strategy for Blessings - the Graveyard does not produce them. You want to look for rooms on 13-15 that can spawn Mythicals. There is a link on the spoilers page that will show you maps highlighting those rooms. Good luck - Pariahs are quite rare, and they'll give you cursed auto-attach items a lot more often than Blessings.

+Quote Post
grumpsey
post May 9 2019, 10:54 PM
Post #5

Student

Thanks for clarifying Roland, yep that's the room, wow well that saves a lot of trouble. Thank you. I got drained keying through back to town and figured it was from that room and just avoided it, but must have been a trap. It seems I can now do a full run hitting Mother, graveyard, giant king, mundragon lairs, vampire, butcher, elf and ards with everyone pinning and plenty of SP left as long as I don't get too many nasty traps.

I am trying not to look at the big spoiler list too much as i go, keeps things exciting! I do remember quite a bit of it from the years of trying to finish this game though, but most of everything below 10 is new to me!

I do know about that chest trick but i try not to use it tooooo much wink.gif I also feel like without the heal spell bug it would be a much slower journey but I just cant give that up wink.gif

I will do a bit more grinding over the next few days and try to map 11-13 / bump up that thief lvl a bit.

!! Thanks for the help.

+Quote Post
Mordion
post May 11 2019, 12:41 AM
Post #6

Vagabond

Member No.: 3,924
referrer:The Super Seer

QUOTE (Roland @ May 9 2019, 05:32 PM) *
Do you mean the room at 10,21,11? I used to cast Displacement to get from stairway to stairway on 11 without going through that room - until I discovered that the room is not actually a blackout room. I'm not sure what the symbol means, but it is slightly different from the blackout symbol. Now I walk through that room all the time, and it doesn't dispel my buffs.

It's the weird way Mordor stacks the graphics of rooms with multiple types.

10,21,11 is Anti-magic + Stud.
11,25,11 is Stud + Pit.

+Quote Post
grumpsey
post May 13 2019, 01:15 AM
Post #7

Student

QUOTE (Mordion @ May 11 2019, 10:41 AM) *
It's the weird way Mordor stacks the graphics of rooms with multiple types.

10,21,11 is Anti-magic + Stud.
11,25,11 is Stud + Pit.

Thanks for clarifying Mordion - just walking through that room makes life a lot easier, although i try to run through the lake the long way for xp.

I have been working on mapping 12/13 since the last post. Going quite well, hit a few teleporters on 13 exploring which are a minor annoyance but seeker puts the party together no problems. Nothing seems to dangerous at the moment on 13 which seems like a good sign. Still have about 1/5th of 12 and 1/3 of 13 left to map. Going to bump those thief levels for Grumpsey up to 100+ before going down to 14.

Have been a little time strapped but later this week should be a good few sessions in.

+Quote Post
grumpsey
post May 14 2019, 06:03 AM
Post #8

Student

Quick Update - Had a good bit of time today to sink in. Found the lvl 14 stairs while mapping 13... too tempting, down i went! Things are starting to hit hard! I was lvling off guilds so A/D was down quite a bit but took it slow and managed to map out what I think is most of the lake on 14. Wow, got a Ring of Splendour first chest - huge upgrade for Grumpsey. Also an axe of power but never got to ID it as it got swiped! :@! But good to know I can somewhat survive down there, have to heal quite a bit after every fight though so its slow going. I might try and reclear the lake each reset and just continue raising sorc / thief for my Grumpsey and Druwid. Found my first Gryphon group too, took a bit of damage but nothing dramatic, 70mill! That's quite a nice feeling biggrin.gif

Oh I also found a large group of Gargantuans in a side room... friendly luckily. I am relieved you mentioned them Roland in your other post as I would have probably tried to attack them! I thought... wasn't this the things Roland mentioned give his maxed out grp trouble... i better just slowlly back away...

Still Raising theif lvls for grumpsey. Another 40 or so and will swap out for max a/d build all chars and see how much of 14 I can manage. Think most of them should be around 350/380 A/D +/- 10, will this be enough for 15!? Don't tell me I will find out the hard way!

Still Getting Deeper!

+Quote Post
Nudibranch
post May 14 2019, 04:38 PM
Post #9

Fire Master

Group: Mordor MP Prog
Member No.: 71
referrer:search

Yeah, the jump in difficulty from 13->14 is probably the most dramatic in the game... mostly due to Gargantuans.

--------------------
I would have started with lasers. Eight o'clock. Day one.

+Quote Post
Roland
post May 14 2019, 09:43 PM
Post #10

Fighter

QUOTE (grumpsey @ May 12 2019, 09:15 PM) *
Going to bump those thief levels for Grumpsey up to 100+ before going down to 14.

On level 14, 100 Thief levels won't get you very far. You will blow more traps than you disarm. Frar is currently at 435 in Thief, and I regard that as the skill most in need of improvement in my party.

QUOTE (grumpsey @ May 14 2019, 02:03 AM) *
Oh I also found a large group of Gargantuans in a side room... friendly luckily. I am relieved you mentioned them Roland in your other post as I would have probably tried to attack them! I thought... wasn't this the things Roland mentioned give his maxed out grp trouble... i better just slowlly back away...

Glad to be of service! My party can take out most encounters quickly by melee. I can even go toe-to-claw with Golden Eagles (after charming one if my Mage has an open companion slot). But I prefer to hit Gargants with a top-level spell, which takes less mana than post-melee healing. I'm pretty sure Gargants are responsible for half of my character deaths.

+Quote Post
grumpsey
post May 15 2019, 06:02 AM
Post #11

Student

QUOTE (Roland @ May 15 2019, 07:43 AM) *
On level 14, 100 Thief levels won't get you very far. You will blow more traps than you disarm. Frar is currently at 435 in Thief, and I regard that as the skill most in need of improvement in my party.

Glad to be of service! My party can take out most encounters quickly by melee. I can even go toe-to-claw with Golden Eagles (after charming one if my Mage has an open companion slot). But I prefer to hit Gargants with a top-level spell, which takes less mana than post-melee healing. I'm pretty sure Gargants are responsible for half of my character deaths.

Yep! But @ lvl 40 thief I couldn't even back step and work out what the chest was, it was all over the place. Now at 80 I can usually tell what a trap is 90% of the time from 1-12 with a bit of jiggling and maybe 70% on 13 and 50% on 14.. This allows me to just open fire/explosive/poison etc and heal through it and avoid most of the teleport, blackout and slimes.

Hopefully I can just get it to where I can kind of ID most traps and go from there which will be a good start smile.gif Happy to keep pumping thief though as I underestimated just how amazingly useful thief is! Druwid has taken over healing privileges and is doing great at 220 warrior with 2SP minor heal, now that he doesnt have to rebuff every 5 minutes.

Started to get some silver cloaks, a girdle of giant strength etc and A/D is rising quite quickly still! Feel super solid on 13 now and 14 I can stay down to completely clear the lake and a few of the corners - although I got given a nasty quest for each character in their main guilds about 10 minutes ago. Drey Dragon, Corpser and Blue Slime... They are all pinned still searching :@! Might go for some extra sorc lvls on Druwid so I can use some thunder spheres and seeker for Seeka as I have 4 dislocation orbs just sitting in his bank while i look.

I've decided once all 3 hit 400 defence I might do a quick recon on 15..... I haven't found any dragon bloods yet so that is a high priority as well. So much to do! haha, having a blast.

+Quote Post
Roland
post May 15 2019, 11:25 PM
Post #12

Fighter

QUOTE (grumpsey @ May 15 2019, 02:02 AM) *
. . . although I got given a nasty quest for each character in their main guilds about 10 minutes ago. Drey Dragon, Corpser and Blue Slime... They are all pinned still searching :@!

Blue Slime shouldn't be that hard - 8 and 12 are your best bets. Good luck on the other two! I would be tempted to forfeit Drey Dragon if you don't find one before you pin.

+Quote Post
Mordion
post May 16 2019, 02:38 AM
Post #13

Vagabond

Member No.: 3,924
referrer:The Super Seer

QUOTE (Roland @ May 15 2019, 07:25 PM) *
Blue Slime shouldn't be that hard - 8 and 12 are your best bets. Good luck on the other two! I would be tempted to forfeit Drey Dragon if you don't find one before you pin.

Check out Super Seer 2.0

It generates a heat map for whatever monster type you're looking for.

http://dejenol.com/forum/index.php?automod...amp;showfile=66

+Quote Post
grumpsey
post May 17 2019, 12:11 AM
Post #14

Student

Ah thats super helpful Mordion, thanks! I managed to get all the quests done pretty quickly, the Drey Dragon was last one to find but only leveled 2 sorc offguild levels before I managed to run into one and get out of the room without killing it. So all back to non quested feels great!

Off to Tasmania for a trip to the mountains for 5 days so will pick up again next week! Thanks for all the help everyone.

+Quote Post
grumpsey
post Yesterday, 01:09 AM
Post #15

Student

Back at it!

Have taken Grumpsey up to 100 thief which has resulted in some disarms on 13/14 which is nice and a lot less stealing from lumarians. A little time poor this next few weeks so will be camping outside Mother a bit. One new goal I can see is to bring Druwids sorcerer to 111 to use cubes / spheres as I don't really have any high level spell casters. A big weakness which is starting to show now I have hit a few golden eagles and gargantuan packs. I might off level Seekers seeker to 100 as well to use some of those dislocation items and save on SP when things go pear shaped from a few teleports. This should put me in a good spot to try and start peeking to 15 - although I still haven't found any dragon bloods, about 15 elven wines though :@! I could use some more gear upgrades from 14 as well - I haven't had much luck at all with spectral since my first piece or any other upgrades from 13/14.

If 15 destroys me then I can always grind out 13/14 some more I guess! dntknw.gif I had my first death in a LONG time from some gargantuans - basically one shot druwid from full sad.gif managed to pick him up and get out though, raise and continue grinding. Realising how amazing FATE chests and consumables but usually pin out before needing to use them.

Oh I also had Grumpsey get teleported, displaced to him and it was the golden eagles on 13.... that's a bit rude tongue.gif but got out without a death luckily. I wonder what Grumpsey was feeling sitting there in that room with all those eagles waiting to be rescued - thank you Mordor for not having real time activated for non playing characters in the dungeon!

+Quote Post
grumpsey
post Yesterday, 06:16 AM
Post #16

Student

Well, I lied to you all, I got bored waiting for 14 to respawn today so I popped down to 15. Right in to a pack of gargantuans... Wiped me out although I managed to get about 1/2 of them between a few lucky rounds and static mesh sash - 6000+ days to find grumpsey... ouch. Didn't know the location for the rescue as i was "lost" when died... but only 600ish days for the other two. Went back down and finished them off! Got Unlost and just started to map a few corridors, then some more... managed to map the whole lake, and quite a few offshoots, killed the high priestess and the room before her! (No monster of the deep with her or anything though) but also nothing good to loot sad.gif Grumpsey got killed by assassins but ressed and no big issues. Found two more packs of gargs which i managed to avoid. Killed a pack of great whites... took a lot of SP to heal that one. Got a dragon lord down with his posse.

All in all not as scary as I thought it might be! Although definitely far from even remotely "safe". That cured the itch though, and gave me some more psych to grind 13/14! Need those sorc levels badly i think to make soften the hard packs down on 15 or i just waste too much SP healing the damage if the rounds drag on.

Asmo! I am on your level buddy, come out come out wherever you are... wink.gif Actually, wait until I find a cap of death plz!

smile.gif

+Quote Post
Roland
post Yesterday, 07:14 PM
Post #17

Fighter

If you're getting killed by Assassins, you're not ready for level-15 stud rooms. It sounds like you got lucky with LHP - she is accompanied by DD the vast majority of the time.

Yeah, Great Whites can do a lot of damage. They're not likely to kill you in one round like Gargants, but next to Gargants they might be the most dangerous melee opponent you'll find outside a level-15 stud room.

+Quote Post
grumpsey
post Yesterday, 09:20 PM
Post #18

Student

QUOTE (Roland @ May 24 2019, 05:14 AM) *
If you're getting killed by Assassins, you're not ready for level-15 stud rooms. It sounds like you got lucky with LHP - she is accompanied by DD the vast majority of the time.

Yeah, Great Whites can do a lot of damage. They're not likely to kill you in one round like Gargants, but next to Gargants they might be the most dangerous melee opponent you'll find outside a level-15 stud room.

Yep, Grumpsey was still offleveling thief so was down about 50 defense and not topped up on HP so was one shot by assassins, but I agree, going to keep on 13/14 for a while longer.

+Quote Post

Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 24th May 2019 - 12:07 PM
Bridged By IpbWiki: Integration Of Invision Power Board and MediaWiki © GlobalSoft
Copyrights and Credits