IPB

Welcome Guest ( Log In | Register )

8 Pages V  < 1 2 3 4 > »   
Reply to this topicStart new topic
> The Money Challenge, Get as much money as you can!
ranagrande
post Oct 24 2009, 05:18 AM
Post #21

Wanderer

Group: Members Plus
Member No.: 180
referrer:Google

QUOTE (Crashland @ Oct 23 2009, 05:21 PM) *
Well, you have to spend some to earn some, after all. By the way, it is preferred that you give a story or explanation of how you gained your wealth.

This is supposed to be very challenging, and I believe I have accomplished that. Spoilers of any kind are not allowed here (in this topic), either.

So far, it seems that Ranagrande is in the lead, with a gold amount of 153,775! Can anybody take his place?

Hrm... is it really possible to do a story or explanation without spoilers of any kind? I can certainly explain myself though. When I first started out, I hacked my way through two rooms full of slaves, who gave me quite a bit of gold. Then I met a kobold who stole almost all of it. I persevered, however, and it wasn't long before I had several "potion"s, a "tome", and some "gloves", which brought me up to the current amount.

I am looking forward to seeing someone overtake me. I will just play some more until I can be the leader again. tongue.gif
Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post
fhqwegads
post Oct 24 2009, 06:34 AM
Post #22

Journeyman

Group: Members
Member No.: 6,050
referrer:google

QUOTE (ranagrande @ Oct 23 2009, 10:18 PM) *
Then I met a kobold who stole almost all of it.

You mean footpad? Kobold's can't steal tongue.gif.

Yeah I amassed everything from tomes and artifacts. My guys so dumb he can't even tell what stuff is, laugh.gif. I will likely play this guy again in a few days but I have family visiting this weekend.

EDIT: Ok before I went to bed I decided to do a quick run, which netted me 5 tomes among other cheaper stuff. Here are my new results:

Name: Fafnir
Race: Giant
Alignment: Neutral
Levels: Nomad 1, Warrior 11
Dead: No
Stats: 17 Strength, 10 Intelligence, 10 Wisdom, 19 Constitution, 3 Charisma, 10 Dexterity
Gold: 699,349
Mordor 1.1 full

This post has been edited by fhqwegads: Oct 24 2009, 07:06 AM

+Quote Post
ranagrande
post Oct 24 2009, 01:17 PM
Post #23

Wanderer

QUOTE (fhqwegads @ Oct 24 2009, 02:34 AM) *
You mean footpad? Kobold's can't steal tongue.gif.

You're right! I was pretty sure that it said it was a Kobold, but I probably misidentified it.

So anyway, I had a few minor setbacks. Velkro went after the Aboleth when he wasn't quite ready for it and got pwnt. I recreated him and promptly died again on my first trip into the dungeon. But as they say, the third time's the charm. The new and improved Velkro is now in an excellent position.

I spent the first few hundred thousand gold (almost all of it from a stat potion) I was able to find on upgrades, so Velkro is much better equipped than his predecessors. Then it was time to run around slaughtering things. I did this until I filled my item inventory. Before selling everything, I had 442,031 in gold from monsters (both from killing them and from selling the few that were foolish enough to join me.) I also had quite a nice collection of items, including several tomes, some Initiate's Hands, and some Ulsik Plate Mail. So now I will rest and enjoy my new-found riches until someone overtakes me again.

Name: Velkro
Race: Gnome
Alignment: Evil
Levels: Nomad 16
Stats: 10 Strength, 10 Intelligence, 10 Wisdom, 17 Constitution, 9 Charisma, 8 Dexterity
Gold: 2,722,403
Mordor 1.1 full

+Quote Post
fhqwegads
post Oct 24 2009, 08:53 PM
Post #24

Journeyman

Geez ranagrande, I guess I got some work to do, laugh.gif. I'll catch up in a couple days when my family leaves, don't you worry tongue.gif.

+Quote Post
Crashland
post Oct 25 2009, 06:43 PM
Post #25

Teacher

Member No.: 4,781
referrer:Yahoo search engine

As the host of this challenge, I must say that Ranagrande is absolutely dominating the competition! He now has a staggering 2,722,403 gold! Will this be the end for everyone else, or will a bold, new challenger arise and steal his title?

(I really like narrating my event)

--------------------
For some good reading, if you'd like to participate, or simply to pass the time, be sure to check out my challenge threads.

The Revolutionary Challenge
The Money Challenge

Can't wait to start a Mordor XP challenge.

QUOTE (DarkerMuffin @ Jun 16 2015, 05:54 AM) *
I stole Asmodeus's tax return!

+Quote Post
Danjen
post Oct 26 2009, 03:24 AM
Post #26

Veteran

Group: Mordor MP Prog
Member No.: 3,498
referrer:Decklin's Domain

Hm, this was harder than it looks. Of course, I got greedy and tried to take out the slavers on level 2 and got destroyed by a green slime on the way (well, I ran into trouble on my escape).

Name: Krush
Race: Giant
Alignment: Neutral
Level: 11 Nomad
Dead: Yes
Stats: 24 Strength, 4 Intelligence, 3 Wisdom, 19 Constitution, 2 Charisma, 17 Dexterity
Gold: 98,527

I was finding quite a few potions and tomes which let me get some very nice stuff (iron hammer, nugena gauntlets, boots of speed, dorlan's sash, etc). I focused mostly on +def gear. My plan was to be as tankish as possible and build a large pool of life and defence, but obviously I messed that up. happy.gif

+Quote Post
Crashland
post Oct 27 2009, 05:55 AM
Post #27

Teacher

What's this, folks? A new challenger has arrived! Will he fare well in his second attempt, or will Ranagrande continue to put everyone to shame?

Stay tuned! ok.gif

(By the way, you are not actually using the bank, are you, Ranagrande? Because that will get you disqualified!)

--------------------
For some good reading, if you'd like to participate, or simply to pass the time, be sure to check out my challenge threads.

The Money Challenge

+Quote Post
grobblewobble
post Oct 27 2009, 11:05 AM
Post #28

Dungeon Master

Member No.: 134
referrer:Slimey's site

I've given it a shot. First of all, I did a completely fresh reinstall of mordor in a separate directory. Of course I never used the bank and I also decided not to forfeit any quests, because of the existence of the forfeit quest cheat.

He now looks like this (I don't have the exact stats with me):

name: YASD
male osiri
nomad(8) healer(7)
stats 10/14/14/8/7/15
gold: over 7.500.000
DEAD

He was lucky to find a good number of stat potions and even a war hammer, which got him a good amount of gold. The nomad guild had quested him for a green ooze, which was not so lucky. These things are hard to find on the first floor and the second floor, where they are often seen as the companions of green slimes, was still too hard for him at this point.

I should have paid closer attention. He died because he was poisoned and/or diseased when I went for a cup of tea. laugh.gif

This post has been edited by grobblewobble: Oct 27 2009, 11:07 AM

--------------------
Fear the Society of the Psychic Tyco

+Quote Post
barklight
post Oct 27 2009, 12:56 PM
Post #29

Vagabond

Member No.: 1,945
referrer:The old M2 Wiki :)

Oh my! I'm entering the contest XD

I'm on Demise 1.03 / build 496. I don't even have a character yet!

I'm extracting it from my ipod onto my work PC, so it's gonna be a fresh install... Nothing in the general store to pimp out my character tongue.gif

Will update once I've gotten into the fray.

This post has been edited by barklight: Oct 27 2009, 01:12 PM

--------------------
The Rules (NEW RULES as of 9/13/2010)
Rule #003: There is no Gnomish god of heavy artillery.
Rule #092: The name of the weapon shop is not "Bloodbath and Beyond".
Rule #155: I am not allowed to rub any part of the elf chick for any reason.
Rule #472: When my cleric is told to "Buff the Elf", I know exactly what it means and may not misconstrue it in any way.
Rule #609: No deity will let me use my nipples as holy symbols.

+Quote Post
ranagrande
post Oct 27 2009, 02:07 PM
Post #30

Wanderer

Nope, no banking for me. I read the rules. smile.gif

At first I always ran away from monsters that could steal, but they don't scare me anymore. I'm high enough level now that I hardly ever get robbed, and when I do it's only for about five thousand gold, even though I'm carrying millions. Of course I'm sure that will change when and if I start going deeper in the dungeon.

I was planning on spending a bunch of it on raising stats, but with the new threat from grobblewobble, realigning tomes is a luxury I cannot afford. So I don't meet the requirements for any of the guilds I wanted to join yet. tongue.gif I really need to start finding some evil tomes of something besides charisma.

Levels: Nomad 33
Stats: 10 Strength, 10 Intelligence, 10 Wisdom, 17 Constitution, 13 Charisma, 8 Dexterity
Gold: 8,011,242
Mordor 1.1 full

+Quote Post
barklight
post Oct 27 2009, 02:56 PM
Post #31

Vagabond

Member No.: 1,945
referrer:The old M2 Wiki :)

rofl.gif @ attempt #1, Floor slime got me. Starting new character, but here's round one:

Name: Velina
Race: Elf
Alignment: Neutural
Levels: Nomad 4
Dead: Yes
Stats: 12 Strength, 10 Intelligence, 10 Wisdom, 14 Constitution, 10 Charisma, 14 Dexterity
Gold: 327
Demise 1.03 build 496

--------------------
The Rules (NEW RULES as of 9/13/2010)
Rule #003: There is no Gnomish god of heavy artillery.
Rule #092: The name of the weapon shop is not "Bloodbath and Beyond".
Rule #155: I am not allowed to rub any part of the elf chick for any reason.
Rule #472: When my cleric is told to "Buff the Elf", I know exactly what it means and may not misconstrue it in any way.
Rule #609: No deity will let me use my nipples as holy symbols.

+Quote Post
Danjen
post Oct 27 2009, 05:43 PM
Post #32

Veteran

QUOTE (ranagrande @ Oct 27 2009, 02:07 PM) *
I was planning on spending a bunch of it on raising stats, but with the new threat from grobblewobble, realigning tomes is a luxury I cannot afford.
But his dude is dead, so unless he rolls another one at least as rich as his first attempt, you have an 8m gold leeway over him to upgrade stuff tongue.gif

+Quote Post
fhqwegads
post Oct 28 2009, 06:08 AM
Post #33

Journeyman

Ugh sorry guys I'm out of this one, laugh.gif. I got careless and died so now I'm speed leveling him to catch up to my other two guys to round out my party a bit tongue.gif. One Warrior/Seeker, one Warrior/Thief/Healer, and one Ninja/Villain ^^.

+Quote Post
Nexus
post Oct 28 2009, 06:21 AM
Post #34

Vagabond

Member No.: 4,359
referrer:Home of the Underdogs

Name: Bletchley
Alignment: Good
Levels: Nomad 34, Scavenger 9
Stats: 11 Strength, 12 Intelligence, 10 Wisdom, 13 Constitution, 15 Charisma, 14 Dexterity
Gold: 1,237,745
Mordor 1.1

This post has been edited by Nexus: Oct 29 2009, 12:15 AM

+Quote Post
Crashland
post Oct 28 2009, 08:46 PM
Post #35

Teacher

QUOTE (grobblewobble @ Oct 27 2009, 04:05 AM) *
I've given it a shot. First of all, I did a completely fresh reinstall of mordor in a separate directory. Of course I never used the bank and I also decided not to forfeit any quests, because of the existence of the forfeit quest cheat.

He now looks like this (I don't have the exact stats with me):

name: YASD
male osiri
nomad(8) healer(7)
stats 10/14/14/8/7/15
gold: over 7.500.000
DEAD

He was lucky to find a good number of stat potions and even a war hammer, which got him a good amount of gold. The nomad guild had quested him for a green ooze, which was not so lucky. These things are hard to find on the first floor and the second floor, where they are often seen as the companions of green slimes, was still too hard for him at this point.

I should have paid closer attention. He died because he was poisoned and/or diseased when I went for a cup of tea. laugh.gif

Look out folks; it would appear that Grobblewobble, the amazingly skilled Mordor player, has come into this humble challenge, and yet he seems to be off to a bad start!

(By the way, I require exact numbers. You have been warned)

QUOTE (barklight @ Oct 27 2009, 05:56 AM) *
Oh my! I'm entering the contest XD

I'm on Demise 1.03 / build 496. I don't even have a character yet!

I'm extracting it from my ipod onto my work PC, so it's gonna be a fresh install... Nothing in the general store to pimp out my character tongue.gif

Will update once I've gotten into the fray.

Good luck, challenger. Hopefully, more Demise players will show up.

QUOTE (ranagrande @ Oct 27 2009, 07:07 AM) *
Nope, no banking for me. I read the rules. smile.gif

At first I always ran away from monsters that could steal, but they don't scare me anymore. I'm high enough level now that I hardly ever get robbed, and when I do it's only for about five thousand gold, even though I'm carrying millions. Of course I'm sure that will change when and if I start going deeper in the dungeon.

I was planning on spending a bunch of it on raising stats, but with the new threat from grobblewobble, realigning tomes is a luxury I cannot afford. So I don't meet the requirements for any of the guilds I wanted to join yet. tongue.gif I really need to start finding some evil tomes of something besides charisma.

Levels: Nomad 33
Stats: 10 Strength, 10 Intelligence, 10 Wisdom, 17 Constitution, 13 Charisma, 8 Dexterity
Gold: 8,011,242
Mordor 1.1 full

What a sight to behold, ladies and gentlemen! The leader Ranagrande feels threatened by the advance of Grobblewobble and is aggressively trying to defend his title! Will this new-found carelessness cost him his spot on first place?

QUOTE (fhqwegads @ Oct 27 2009, 11:08 PM) *
Ugh sorry guys I'm out of this one, laugh.gif . I got careless and died so now I'm speed leveling him to catch up to my other two guys to round out my party a bit tongue.gif . One Warrior/Seeker, one Warrior/Thief/Healer, and one Ninja/Villain ^^.

Parties are not allowed! I am afraid I am going to have to disqualify you until either you adequately explain yourself or start over!

What will happen next? Who will enter this challenge? Who will be caught cheating and disqualified?

Stay tuned! ok.gif

This post has been edited by Crashland: Oct 28 2009, 08:48 PM

--------------------

The Money Challenge

+Quote Post
Nudibranch
post Oct 28 2009, 09:30 PM
Post #36

Fire Master

Member No.: 71
referrer:search

QUOTE (Crashland @ Oct 28 2009, 04:46 PM) *
Parties are not allowed! I am afraid I am going to have to disqualify you until either you adequately explain yourself or start over!

I had to read fhqwegads' post a few times before I came to the conclusion that he decided to transfer the character that died into his regular party.

For what it's worth, I've started in on the challenge. My first attempt died before Nomad 10; my second attempt is currently at Nomad 21 with less than a million gold. I'm carrying around a few half-identified tomes in the hopes of getting my stats high enough to join Warrior or Thief.

Incidentally, I started with a clean install each time.

This post has been edited by Nudibranch: Oct 28 2009, 10:12 PM

--------------------
I would have started with lasers. Eight o'clock. Day one.

+Quote Post
fhqwegads
post Oct 29 2009, 07:14 PM
Post #37

Journeyman

QUOTE (Nudibranch @ Oct 28 2009, 02:30 PM) *
I had to read fhqwegads' post a few times before I came to the conclusion that he decided to transfer the character that died into his regular party.

Yeah Nudibranch got it right, laugh.gif, sorry for the ambiguity, but you don't have to disqualify me because I dropped out. What I was saying is that I have a party that I'm working on atm and I want my character from this challenge to join that party. Good luck everyone!

+Quote Post
Crashland
post Oct 29 2009, 09:18 PM
Post #38

Teacher

QUOTE (fhqwegads @ Oct 29 2009, 12:14 PM) *
Yeah Nudibranch got it right, laugh.gif , sorry for the ambiguity, but you don't have to disqualify me because I dropped out.

I did not disqualify you because you dropped out. I disqualified you because you put your character in a party. Furthermore, I said that you were disqualified until you adequately explained yourself or started over. You must start over to be able to participate again.

--------------------

The Money Challenge

+Quote Post
Nudibranch
post Oct 30 2009, 02:14 AM
Post #39

Fire Master

Member No.: 71
referrer:search

Update on my entry:

Nomad 30
Warrior 36
Thief 1 yahoo.gif

Str 20
Int 20
Wis 19
Con 24
Cha 13
Dex 23

Hits: 291

Died: 0

Gold: 900,983 (just spent 7.5m to join the Thief's Guild)

I've been playing this character like I would any other, trying to maximize hits, boost stats, get the best equipment, round out guild abilities. Joining the Thief's guild is a real milestone -- next I'll go after Sorcerer for resistances and offensive spells, then Seeker so I can Displace out of hot water.

Carrying around 30 half-identified tomes is a real pain in the ass.

--------------------
I would have started with lasers. Eight o'clock. Day one.

+Quote Post
Danjen
post Oct 30 2009, 04:55 AM
Post #40

Veteran

You could try biting the bullet and sell maybe 5 of them to get the rest ID'd?

+Quote Post

8 Pages V  < 1 2 3 4 > » 
Reply to this topicStart new topic
2 User(s) are reading this topic (2 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 18th November 2019 - 04:52 AM
Bridged By IpbWiki: Integration Of Invision Power Board and MediaWiki © GlobalSoft
Copyrights and Credits