IPB

Welcome Guest ( Log In | Register )

11 Pages V   1 2 3 > »   
Reply to this topicStart new topic
> Recording a Mordor run - solo good elf!
MythrilZenith
post Aug 17 2014, 03:13 AM
Post #1

Fighter

Group: Members Plus
Member No.: 6,867
referrer:A google-search for Mordor: Depths of Dejenol maps led me here!

Hey, everyone! So, in addition to my current major party (evil-aligned 4-man party for mapping and trail-blazing), I've been starting a solo run. Elf is generally considered pretty bad (probably due to not getting warrior, pretty low str/con, and the hidden size numbers), but I decided to say "forget it - solo elf!"

I'm also recording the entirety of this run on youtube channel, if that interests anyone. So here's a link to the Holy Crusade! playlist if you want to check it out.

Does anyone have any particular tips and tricks to playing an Elf (or just solo character in general) that I should worry about? I'm building it as a Legacy character and following the Optimal Leveling Route. Heck, the first few videos might even be used as a video guide for "how to use the somewhat confusing Optimal Leveling Route for Mordor: Depths of Dejenol."

Any items I should look out for? Any horror stories? I kind of just want to figure out if solo-elf is even viable.

(as for my in-game experience, I've played for hundreds of hours across multiple installs, though the deepest I've ever gotten a party to is around level 10 or 11. Technically 12, but just because I hit a teleporter, everyone got split up and then subsequently died. shocked.gif

--------------------
Just an average nomad trying to figure out how Mordor really works.

I've also taken the liberty of recording some videos of Mordor: Depths of Dejenol!

Classics are classic, but never mistake nostalgia for superiority. When older is better, it's because it truly is, not just because our perception of it makes it so.
Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post
yadasi
post Aug 17 2014, 06:00 PM
Post #2

Wanderer

Member No.: 7,836
referrer:search

Good luck fellow adventurer!

I have an elf in my party. They have very high intelligence and wisdom. He's my sorcerer/ paladin.

Since you're going with a good elf, you'll have to work harder to fight (no warrior) and to open chests (no thief guild). You also can't do the 100% optimal leveling route because it requires warrior guild to level 28. Healer is also out of the question (neutral only). But hey, you're solo-- who are you going to resurrect !? happy.gif

So in order to try and survive in all aspects of the game (fighting, healing, thieving, movement spells) you should go (correct me people if I'm not right)

Paladin (fighting and low healing) seeker (movement and perception), scavenger (opening chests), sorcerer (if you want to blast stuff and level a lot faster)
Don't want to go dwarf instead? cool.gif

This post has been edited by yadasi: Aug 17 2014, 06:04 PM

+Quote Post
grobblewobble
post Aug 17 2014, 11:26 PM
Post #3

Dungeon Master

Group: Mordor MP Prog
Member No.: 134
referrer:Slimey's site

QUOTE (MythrilZenith @ Aug 17 2014, 05:13 AM) *
Does anyone have any particular tips and tricks to playing an Elf (or just solo character in general) that I should worry about? I'm building it as a Legacy character and following the Optimal Leveling Route. Heck, the first few videos might even be used as a video guide for "how to use the somewhat confusing Optimal Leveling Route for Mordor: Depths of Dejenol."

Any items I should look out for? Any horror stories? I kind of just want to figure out if solo-elf is even viable.

Viable, sure.

Since you're going solo, I recommend companions. They can save you from paralysis and some meat shields are good to have. The mage guild is also your best option for healing. You don't need a very high level in mage to be effective, though.

The optimal levelling route is overrated, imo. Just maxing con and starting out with nomad up to 30 takes far less time and is good enough. I'd mainly focus on sorcerer and scavenger.

--------------------
Fear the Society of the Psychic Tyco

+Quote Post
MythrilZenith
post Aug 18 2014, 04:08 AM
Post #4

Fighter

I honestly forgot that mage got healing spells, so I suppose that's something!

And yeah, dwarves are better all-rounders, I just wanted to try an elf, since I've never really used one before.

It sounds like it's gonna take a lot of leveling in like 5 different classes. I was considering mainly paladin/sorcerer, though mage for the companions and healing might be nice, and I've debated the merits of scavenger for the thieving skill (I'll probably get at least a few levels in scavenger at some point in the future anyway). I'm stocking potions for healing and resistances, though sorcerer will probably be vital for having reliable resistance casting, not to mention general blasting.

Paladin is the best fighting class elves can get, so that's going to be a major focus of mine. Though I'm honestly not experienced enough to know all the merits of leveling Nomad past 30. Apparently they get more A/D than other classes, and I know they get item usage a LOT faster (though only really matters for NCR like daggers), but I'm not sure if it's worth the time spent, especially considering how many other classes I'm going to need to be leveling.

Then again, if I'm leveling a ton of classes, I'll probably want to have a decent selection of NCR items, so nomad might come in handy if only in that respect...

Oh wow, that's another thing to think about: Which guild crest is most helpful? I know the Paladin crest gives some free minor heal casts - are the other guild crests comparable? I know I'll only be able to use the one in the guild I'm currently training, but i guess that's more of a question of "when exploring deeper levels for the first time, what crest will help most?"

This post has been edited by MythrilZenith: Aug 18 2014, 04:10 AM

--------------------

I've also taken the liberty of recording some videos of Mordor: Depths of Dejenol!

Classics are classic, but never mistake nostalgia for superiority. When older is better, it's because it truly is, not just because our perception of it makes it so.

+Quote Post
Nudibranch
post Aug 18 2014, 04:59 AM
Post #5

Fire Master

Member No.: 71

It never hurts to have on hand several free casts of Charm of Opening (Thief Crest). If there's one spell you're casting in the dungeon, that's it. It's a moot consideration for your Elf, though.

Any character is viable (even solo). Defense and HP are critical for survival. Thieving skills become increasingly important to protect your equipment from slime traps. Even a few levels of Scavenger will give you much better thieving than Nomad.

I like the videos. For me, it's so unexpected to see a game I first encountered in 1996 in such a modern context.

--------------------
I would have started with lasers. Eight o'clock. Day one.

+Quote Post
yadasi
post Aug 18 2014, 06:10 PM
Post #6

Wanderer

QUOTE (MythrilZenith @ Aug 18 2014, 12:08 AM) *
Oh wow, that's another thing to think about: Which guild crest is most helpful? I know the Paladin crest gives some free minor heal casts - are the other guild crests comparable? I know I'll only be able to use the one in the guild I'm currently training, but i guess that's more of a question of "when exploring deeper levels for the first time, what crest will help most?"

I find the spellcasters' crests (mage, healer, wizard, and sorcerer) stronger than melee guilds' (warrior, nomad, scavenger, ninja) crests. Lots of resistance, good spells -- I mean Soul Entrapment from the mage crest!! wow!! IMO wizard and mage are among the strongest.

This post has been edited by yadasi: Aug 18 2014, 06:10 PM

+Quote Post
aardless
post Aug 19 2014, 01:28 PM
Post #7

Goblin Shaman at work (used to be: on strike...)

Group: Admin
Member No.: 18
referrer::yahoo:

I'm also recording the entirety of this run on youtube channel, if that interests anyone. So here's a link to the Holy Crusade! playlist if you want to check it out.

Whoa! Craziest idea of the year! In a cool kind of way. ;-)

Well, I don't know for sure but I sort of doubt you can win with a solo Elf without a Cap of Death or similar? Might be an interesting challenge idea: win with a solo Elf using the weakest spell casting item you can manage.
I remember AJ (Raffles) used to have a solo Osiri, level, what, 400-500 (?) in both Thief and Healer, so we know it's possible to solo with appropriate blasting power, but as said Elves have access to fairly poor spells (and thieving skill... And fighting skill... Man, they're next to worthless :-S )
Anyway good luck, let us know how that turns out.

--------------------
If money doesn't grow on trees, why is it that banks have branches? - sig of a guy on a chinese forum

Most off-topic topics are off-topic - fart642000

+Quote Post
grobblewobble
post Aug 19 2014, 03:59 PM
Post #8

Dungeon Master

QUOTE (aardless @ Aug 19 2014, 03:28 PM) *
Elves have access to fairly poor spells

Maybe you're mixing up two races here? Elves can join every magic guild..

As for crests, yeah the magic guilds tend to have nice ones, but it doesn't make a major difference.

Will watch the videos soon. Like, when I'm behind a computer and not at work. *ahum*

--------------------

+Quote Post
MythrilZenith
post Aug 20 2014, 12:25 AM
Post #9

Fighter

Thanks for the support and tips, everyone!

I have no idea how far I'm going to even get in this run - as I said, the farthest I've gotten is like level 11, with a full party of 4, and haven't even seen some of these items or monsters that are end-game material - but it's always a good thing to keep in mind!

Here's a REAL concern I have, though; Can only one character own a guild crest at any one time, on any given install? Because I have a ninja/sorc and villain/mage who are about to hit guildmaster level in a different party, and the guild lists actually change the "guildmaster" to the new character. I've never gotten far enough with secondary parties on the same install to really have this be an issue, but I REALLY want to know this...

Actually, are guild crests trade-able? That would really cut down on the issue.

--------------------

+Quote Post
yadasi
post Aug 20 2014, 01:32 AM
Post #10

Wanderer

"Actually, are guild crests trade-able? That would really cut down on the issue."

Cannot give guild-issued items !!!
If this answers your question not_ok.gif

This post has been edited by yadasi: Aug 20 2014, 01:34 AM

+Quote Post
Nudibranch
post Aug 20 2014, 07:48 AM
Post #11

Fire Master

Multiple characters can own the same guild crest, yes.

--------------------

+Quote Post
aardless
post Aug 20 2014, 12:54 PM
Post #12

QUOTE (grobblewobble @ Aug 19 2014, 05:59 PM) *
Maybe you're mixing up two races here? Elves can join every magic guild..

You're right, I should have specified good elves. Or non-neutral elves, to be more precise. And I have very little experience with Sorcs, which on paper require(d) too much fiddling with finding the right spell for a given monster (IMHO). Had I known beforehand that Electric Field (well, electric spells in general) was resisted by about the same number of monsters as WoD, I'd have actually played the guild. :-S

QUOTE (grobblewobble @ Aug 19 2014, 05:59 PM) *
Will watch the videos soon. Like, when I'm behind a computer and not at work. *ahum*
laugh.gif

--------------------
If money doesn't grow on trees, why is it that banks have branches? - sig of a guy on a chinese forum

+Quote Post
aardless
post Aug 20 2014, 12:59 PM
Post #13

QUOTE (yadasi @ Aug 20 2014, 03:32 AM) *
Cannot give guild-issued items !!!
If this answers your question not_ok.gif
But, as Nudi said you can have multiple copies of a given guild crest: each character that beats the current guildmaster level can have one, and the old one isn't removed from the demoted (or used-to-be) guildmaster...

--------------------

+Quote Post
yadasi
post Aug 20 2014, 09:11 PM
Post #14

Wanderer

QUOTE (aardless @ Aug 20 2014, 08:59 AM) *
But, as Nudi said you can have multiple copies of a given guild crest: each character that beats the current guildmaster level can have one, and the old one isn't removed from the demoted (or used-to-be) guildmaster...

Damn... blink.gif

That changes everything... I'm gonna rethink my party... My entire way of life!

+Quote Post
MythrilZenith
post Aug 21 2014, 05:11 PM
Post #15

Fighter

This seems really complicated, like if I want multiple people to be the same class for any period of time, I should stagger my leveling accordingly so I don't force myself to do a hundred or so extra levels for the next character...

If you erase a character, does the original guildmaster come back? Or is that, again, something that only happens on a fresh install?

--------------------

+Quote Post
grobblewobble
post Aug 21 2014, 11:02 PM
Post #16

Dungeon Master

QUOTE (MythrilZenith @ Aug 21 2014, 07:11 PM) *
This seems really complicated, like if I want multiple people to be the same class for any period of time, I should stagger my leveling accordingly so I don't force myself to do a hundred or so extra levels for the next character...

Well, as long as you don't start a new character from scratch, there's little reason to worry. You never lose your crest, once you have it. Except if it gets slimed, that is.

If you erase a character, does the original guildmaster come back? Or is that, again, something that only happens on a fresh install?

Hmm.. not sure.

--------------------

+Quote Post
Nudibranch
post Aug 22 2014, 06:15 AM
Post #17

Fire Master

I'm pretty sure deleting a character does not erase him/her as guildmaster, so, fresh install only.

--------------------

+Quote Post
Brown
post Aug 22 2014, 02:20 PM
Post #18

Apprentice

Group: Members
Member No.: 6,922
referrer:Google Search

QUOTE (MythrilZenith @ Aug 21 2014, 12:11 PM) *

You might try deleting (or just renaming) MDATA7.MDR from your "\MORDOR\DATA\" directory. It keeps the list of guildmasters and their current level. If the file isn't there when the game starts up, it is regenerated with the default guildmasters.

+Quote Post
grobblewobble
post Aug 22 2014, 06:43 PM
Post #19

Dungeon Master

Man, I totally love your videos. Nice. ok.gif

Haven't watched all of them yet. Some comments..

Resist acidity only makes you resist acid attacks (acidic spray and spit), not item destruction.
Charm monster lets you charm reptiles.
Slave mashers count as giants and not as humanoids
I have no idea how to pronounce "skuldragl" either.

--------------------

+Quote Post
MythrilZenith
post Aug 22 2014, 10:43 PM
Post #20

Fighter

QUOTE (grobblewobble @ Aug 22 2014, 07:43 PM) *
Man, I totally love your videos. Nice. ok.gif

Haven't watched all of them yet. Some comments..

Resist acidity only makes you resist acid attacks (acidic spray and spit), not item destruction.
Charm monster lets you charm reptiles.
Slave mashers count as giants and not as humanoids
I have no idea how to pronounce "skuldragl" either.

Thanks! biggrin.gif

Yeah, apparently "charm monster" is "Charm reptile" - meaning there is no charm for certain creatures aside from Soul Entrapment (unless slimes count as elementals and lycanthropes as animals...?)

This post has been edited by MythrilZenith: Aug 22 2014, 10:44 PM

--------------------

+Quote Post

11 Pages V   1 2 3 > » 
Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 20th November 2019 - 10:26 AM
Bridged By IpbWiki: Integration Of Invision Power Board and MediaWiki © GlobalSoft
Copyrights and Credits