> One-Guild Wonder, weird challenge
Colonel Geek
post Dec 23 2006, 10:52 PM
Post #1

Student

Group: Members
Member No.: 2,805
referrer:Slimey's Mordor Page

OK, I recently (i.e. 5 minutes ago) thought, "hey, is it possible to beat the game with a one-guild-per-character party?" Well, that is my challenge to you. Take a party as big as you want, with each character leveling in only one guild. When you post your claim, attach your character data file.

--------------------
Click This!!!!!!!!
O.O OK Gsman, I helped Bob.
Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post
gsman
post Dec 24 2006, 02:25 AM
Post #2

Infiltrator

Group: Members Plus
Member No.: 1,873
referrer:I don't remember

cool.
but, 4 characters maximum

--------------------
LARGE CAPITAL LETTERS ATTRACT YOUR ATTENTION that is all.
O.O This is bob, bob wants to take over the world please help him on his quest by copying and pasting him into your sig

Member #1 of Gortaak fan club. President of Gortaak fan club. PM me to join Gortaak fan club.

+Quote Post
Mongo
post Dec 24 2006, 04:50 AM
Post #3

Weapons Master

Member No.: 683
referrer:gazed into my crystal ball, which happens to be named Google...

well i'm positive it is not only possible, but probably fairly easy, but it's gonna take one long time to do honestly, i.e. not legacy char's, etc.. there will be a huge difference in time this will take with or without legacy char's, plus are you including nomad as a char's "only" guild? otherwise your options will be very limited as it is not easy to start every race right off in a guild other than nomad. a real challenge would be to see who can win in quickest time with 4 pure nomads smile.gif now that's a challenge i would take part in....

--------------------
Illuminatus

+Quote Post
Colonel Geek
post Dec 24 2006, 12:19 PM
Post #4

Student

Note that I said, "leveling in one guild". That means that, technically, you can join as many guilds as you want if they are all LV1 (except for your main guild, of course)

Update: The only mod you can use is Braindead's Beta Feelings (in case you don't have the full game)

This post has been edited by Colonel Geek: Dec 24 2006, 04:53 PM

--------------------
Click This!!!!!!!!

+Quote Post
Direnar
post Dec 24 2006, 01:03 PM
Post #5

Dark Elf

Group: Mordor MP
Member No.: 421
referrer:Slimey's forums

Well, I guess it kinda kills the optimal HP route, but it can be done. Spellcasters will have *very* low hp though.

--------------------
Mordor? More like More Doors!

+Quote Post
aardless
post Dec 25 2006, 07:43 PM
Post #6

Goblin Shaman at work (used to be: on strike...)

Group: Admin
Member No.: 18
referrer::yahoo:

Hmm, you can't join some guilds right away, which means having to resort to legacy characters.
I believe Grobblewobble once beat the game with 4 Giant warriors, although they may have been cheated characters. tongue.gif

--------------------
If money doesn't grow on trees, why is it that banks have branches? - sig of a guy on a chinese forum

Most off-topic topics are off-topic - fart642000

+Quote Post
gsman
post Dec 25 2006, 11:10 PM
Post #7

Infiltrator

cheated warriors? sad

--------------------
O.O This is bob, bob wants to take over the world please help him on his quest by copying and pasting him into your sig

Member #1 of Gortaak fan club. President of Gortaak fan club. PM me to join Gortaak fan club.

+Quote Post
Direnar
post Dec 25 2006, 11:33 PM
Post #8

Dark Elf

Group: Mordor MP
Member No.: 421
referrer:Slimey's forums

QUOTE (aardless @ Dec 25 2006, 07:43 PM)
Hmm, you can't join some guilds right away, which means having to resort to legacy characters.
I believe Grobblewobble once beat the game with 4 Giant warriors, although they may have been cheated characters. tongue.gif

I think it's doable, that's what the Resistance Po-po's and sashes are for.
This set-up has a wonderful survival rate on dungeon levels 1-5, and can probably reach level 10 without much problems, as long as they avoid dangerous fights. Some serious gear is required below that threshold.

I have no Idea what I'd choose for this challenge..
perhaps something like this:
Giant warrior
Elf healer
Elf wizard
Osiri thief

one beef, one healer/damager, one utility/damager and a locksith for those goodies.
Wizard covers seeker/resistances, healer has some damage spellsbesides the obvious benefit of healing, the warrior is necessary since there are 2 mages in the party, he'll have 3 times more HP than them and the thief, well... you do need an open lock spell, and he'll HtH along with the giant. Plus you'll be getting higher initiative from the Dex. I prefer Elves over dwarves for more mana.
Of course, this would take ages to level up to decent hp, especially the mages, who'd hit 100 HP at around level 30(assuming max Con) while the warrior packs 350.
So, any thoughts? anyone wanna try this? I can't, too much other stuff going on, sorry.

--------------------
Mordor? More like More Doors!

+Quote Post
Colonel Geek
post Dec 26 2006, 01:59 PM
Post #9

Student

I'll try it (not that I'll win) with a party something like this:

Giant Seeker
Troll Theif
Elf Mage
Morloch Sorceror

Seeker gets decent fighting ability (especially with Giant) and is the best guild for movement. While a Troll Theif (as opposed to Osiri) May seem stupid, it keeps fighting ability in the party. Elf Mage is me succumbing to traditional ways, and the Morloch -- I want a sorceror that can take care of himself.

--------------------
Click This!!!!!!!!

+Quote Post
shadethief
post Dec 26 2006, 02:49 PM
Post #10

Journeyman

Member No.: 2,699
referrer:wtf is that?

no ones care about troll-ninja
moderate thieving and multiple swings seems right

anoter fighter is good for a party

+Quote Post
gsman
post Dec 26 2006, 09:11 PM
Post #11

Infiltrator

I'll try it:
giant warrior
osiri thief
elf wizard
? healer

--------------------

+Quote Post
Colonel Geek
post Dec 30 2006, 01:34 PM
Post #12

Student

shadetheif:no one cares about troll-ninja

of course people care about troll-ninja! it's the best combo in Mordor!
by the way, I didn't know ninja had decent theiving skills
PS:Ack! gsman is a conservative! ranting.gif

This post has been edited by Colonel Geek: Dec 30 2006, 01:37 PM

--------------------
Click This!!!!!!!!

+Quote Post
gsman
post Dec 30 2006, 10:08 PM
Post #13

Infiltrator

and? that means what?

--------------------

+Quote Post
BeefontheBone
post Dec 30 2006, 10:55 PM
Post #14

Head of Imbuing

Group: Moderators
Member No.: 213
referrer:reefer: reference: preferrer

I think he was trying to say that those were fairly obvious choices for race/guild combinations. What he felt about that, I'm not sure. Either that, or he's worried about you centre-right political leanings and tendency to be wary of foreigners, new things, the young, people of a different race or religion, the "liberal media", the internet, poor people, attempts to actually help anyone with taxes, taxes themselves, vegetarians (for some reason), fun of any kind, etc etc.

--------------------
QUOTE (George Bernard Shaw (to TE Lawrence @ on the Seven Pillars of Wisdom))
"You practically do not use semicolons at all. This is a symptom of mental defectiveness, probably induced by camp life."

+Quote Post
Colonel Geek
post Dec 30 2006, 11:36 PM
Post #15

Student

QUOTE (BeefontheBone @ Dec 30 2006, 05:55 PM)
I think he was trying to say that those were fairly obvious choices for race/guild combinations. What he felt about that, I'm not sure. Either that, or he's worried about you centre-right political leanings and tendency to be wary of foreigners, new things, the young, people of a different race or religion, the "liberal media", the internet, poor people, attempts to actually help anyone with taxes, taxes themselves, vegetarians (for some reason), fun of any kind, etc etc.

Thats what I meant (the obvious choices part, I mean)

This post has been edited by Colonel Geek: Dec 30 2006, 11:37 PM

--------------------
Click This!!!!!!!!

+Quote Post
shadethief
post Dec 31 2006, 12:07 AM
Post #16

Journeyman

one guild,great challenge

this is a experiment:

gnome-paladin
troll-scavenger
giant-seeker
human-sorceror

but...i will need lots of potion or tomes

+Quote Post
gsman
post Dec 31 2006, 12:20 AM
Post #17

Infiltrator

why?

--------------------

+Quote Post
shadethief
post Dec 31 2006, 03:47 PM
Post #18

Journeyman

the gnome don't start with all the attributes required to being a paladin
and the sorceror needs tomes,too

This post has been edited by shadethief: Dec 31 2006, 03:55 PM

+Quote Post
gsman
post Dec 31 2006, 10:47 PM
Post #19

Infiltrator

ok, got it.
@gutsy: see, this post is over 4 words...

--------------------

+Quote Post
grobblewobble
post Jan 4 2007, 03:20 PM
Post #20

Dungeon Master

Group: Mordor MP Prog
Member No.: 134
referrer:Slimey's site

QUOTE (aardless @ Dec 25 2006, 08:43 PM)

No, I never had such a party. What you may be referring to: I once tried a party of 3 giant warrior/seekers and 1 osiri thief/healer, and those characters were NOT cheated.
But I didn't beat the game with it. The osiri fell behind on XP and I got bored levelling him solo. I restarted playing later with a different party (3 dwarves, 1 giant). Didn't beat the game yet, either.

The only time I beat the game was with yet another party, a very long time ago (1 giant warrior and one osiri nomad/thief/healer).

If I understand the challenge correctly, legacy characters are forbidden. That would mean a lot of race/guild combinations become impossible, because some guilds (like paladin) require too high starting statistics.

To beat the game, a party needs at least:
- healing
- resistance spells (especially stone/drain)

And the following are very helpful, but can (maybe) be done without:
- a character with thiefing skills to open chests and prevent being robbed
- movement spells and perception

So how can the party heal up? A pure healer or mage would have such bad defense and HP that it would be impossible to keep them alive on the deeper dungeon levels. But paladins and villains have high starting statistic requirements, so they're ruled out by the 'no legacy' rule.

As I see it, the only way to get the needed healing skills would be to play very patiently, until you find an Elven Ring. Using this ring, and all the other healing items you can get, it may be possible to get enough healing power to keep your party alive (and prevent aging!). But it will be *expensive*.

Resistance spells are not that hard, luckily. A seeker can cast the most important resistances for you (drain and stone), and of course provides movement spells and good perception, too. You will miss some important resistances like mind, but those are not absolutely necessary.

To open the chests, you could build a pure thief, but he would suffer from low HP and so-so defense. The party already has problems with healing up and fragile characters add up to that problem. So an ogre scavenger might be a better idea. Then again, additional exploding / fire / fate traps might be worse than a fragile character. The best solution is perhaps to build a pure thief anyway, and keep him at the back of a four-character party. Another possible idea is to leave chests unopened, unless there's a good chance it actually contains something useful.

well i'm positive it is not only possible, but probably fairly easy, but it's gonna take one long time to do honestly, i.e. not legacy char's, etc.. there will be a huge difference in time this will take with or without legacy char's, plus are you including nomad as a char's "only" guild? otherwise your options will be very limited as it is not easy to start every race right off in a guild other than nomad. a real challenge would be to see who can win in quickest time with 4 pure nomads  now that's a challenge i would take part in....

I think you're underestimating the difficulty of the challenge, maybe because the "normal" way of playing is so easy? I doubt the "pure nomad" challenge is even possible.. But of course feel free to prove me wrong! whistling.gif

This post has been edited by grobblewobble: Jan 4 2007, 03:30 PM

--------------------
Fear the Society of the Psychic Tyco

+Quote Post

2 Pages V   1 2 >
Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 19th November 2019 - 01:18 AM
Bridged By IpbWiki: Integration Of Invision Power Board and MediaWiki © GlobalSoft
Copyrights and Credits