Zombie Master

Group: Admin
Member No.: 1
referrer:;)

File Name :: Braindead's Editor
Author :: Braindead
Category :: Mordor: The Depths Of Dejenol
Description ::
Braindead's Editor is a Map Editor for Mordor: The Depths Of Dejenol & Mordor II: Darkness Awakening v0.98

Version History:
v1.7
- Defined feature groups. Setting a feature that's member of a group will cause an unset of the other features in that group.

v1.6
- Show Coordinates so you don't have to eyeball to see at which X,Y position you currently are
- When allow cursor movement is on, the left and right arrow moved one square up/down when at edge of screen, changed to stay at same Y-level.
- Setting Monster Lairs works again

v1.5
- Random Monster Generator refined. Assigning monsters to areas is now a set and forget option. Parametrizable options are the minimum and maximum number of monster types per square, the monster types which appear now depend on the type of environment (regular,water,quicksand,fog,lava) and you can define the rarity of each monstertype. (see screenshot)

v1.4
- import/export map from/to textfile
- assign monster types (random) to all areas which haven't monster types assigned yet.

v1.3
- Copy-Paste Functionality

v1.2
- support for large fonts

v1.1
- (scrollable) X and Y axis

v1.0
- add unlimited teleporters (now also in Mordor I)
- add unlimited chutes (now also in Mordor I)

v0.8
- moved U6 to Mordor II specials pane as it is not longer an unknown...
- ability to edit the message file (mdata32.mdr)
- do not load music dll when no music is selected

v0.7
- Possibility to scroll through the map with the cursor keys
- Mark "Easy-Area-Set" by making use of CTRL + LMB
- Mark "Easy-Area-Set" by making use of SHIFT + LMB
- Mark "Easy-Area-Set" by making use of RMB
- Switch to previous/next tune by using PgUp/PgDown keys

v0.6
- Map Square Features can now also be set via point-and-click (see screenshot)
- Speeded up map draw routine
- Some Bugfixes
- Experimental feature: Add new levels
- Experimental feature: Add new teleporters (only Mordor II)
- Experimental feature: Add new chutes (only Mordor II)
- Experimental feature: Add new monster lairs (only Mordor II)
Screenshot

v0.5
- Added a button to completely initialize a level
- Cross-linked the map-file to the monster-file.
- Easy set the linked monster via the combobox I wrote specially for this project
- Added a credits section
- Added music playing in the background (which you can turn off if you want to.)

v0.4
- Full editing support
- The program now deletes the mdata8.mdr itself when it finds the file in the same directory as the mdata11.mdr

v0.3
- Implemented double buffering.
- Chutes and teleporters info is being displayed now.
- program is fully resizable
- Added save and undo feature

v0.2
- I polished my doors, now doors and secret doors have the same look as in the game.
- map squares can now be selected by point-and-clicking at them with your mouse.
- the selected square is shown as the pinkish square
- the area where-to the selected square belongs is made visual too.
- Added info about the map squares
- Added the monster types which are seen in the area
- removed level data pane

v0.1
- Basic viewing capabilities of Mordor 1.1, Mordor II 0.98 and Mordor II 0.992b

Updated Fri, Jul 29 2005 10:16 pm

View File

--------------------
Do not PM me for support, if you have troubles running Mordor ask in the Technical Support forum!
Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post
Braindead
post Sep 25 2004, 08:53 AM
Post #2

Zombie Master

v 0.1 Progress Report:

I've been busy this weekend on my editor, not that I have that much already but I wanted to show you guys some progress

It was the intent of the editor to be an editor for Mordor II v0.98 mdata11.mdr files.
However looking into the several version of the file (1.1, 2.98b and 2.992b) I noticed there are lots of

similarities between Mordor I map file and Mordor II map file.
The biggest difference is that Mordor I map file consists of 30 by 30 squares and Mordor II map format consists of 45 by 45 squares.

At the moment the Editor is not an editor yet but it can display 3 mdata11.mdr formats :
- Mordor I 1.1 mdata11.mdr
- Mordor II 0.98 mdata11.mdr
- Mordor II 0.992b mdata11.mdr

It most probably also displays Mordor I 1.0 mdata11.mdr files but I didn't test this.

How to operate the Editor (I should write Viewer here )
- on the options tab-page set the dir to your Mordor Data Dir
- on the Map-page you can see the map being displayed (duh...)
- on the Level Data-page the data-records of areas are being displayed (this could be usefull to for instance Wabbit)
format of display:
Area-number (displayed as unsigned int)
BitMask (displayed as Currency)
Undefined (array of 10 bytes)

top row is left bottom square
row beneath is 2nd square from the left...

Important remark: Without the help of Wabbit and research of peterg70 I would be nowhere near from where I am

now... so a big thanx to their direction.
If there will be ever an editor that can edit map files it will be thanx to them!

Finally a screenshot:

I should polish my walls a bit but for the rest it's what you know from Wabbits editor allready...
This screenshot shows level 1 of Mordor II 0.98b mdata11.mdr file.

Screenshot

--------------------
Do not PM me for support, if you have troubles running Mordor ask in the Technical Support forum!

+Quote Post
Braindead
Post #3

Zombie Master

v 0.2 Progress Report:

I had some free time last night so decided to continue work on my editor. It has still no editing capabilities

but progress is steady.

What has been changed:
- I polished my doors, now doors and secret doors have the same look as in the game.
- map squares can now be selected by point-and-clicking at them with your mouse.
- the selected square is shown as the pinkish square
- the area where-to the selected square belongs is made visual too.
- I added info about the map squares
- I added the monster types which are seen in the area
- I removed the level data pane since it has more sence showing only the unknowns of the square you have currenly selected. You could come up with an idea faster this way. (I like to call it the freak-factor)

Since the map is redrawn on each action you take sometimes there's a bit flicker, but I'll add some double buffering soon, so this should solve itself.

Finally a screenshot:

This screenshot shows level 1 of Mordor 1.1 (which you probably all know by hard)

Screenshot

--------------------

+Quote Post
Braindead
Post #4

Zombie Master

v 0.3 Progress Report:
- Implemented double buffering.
- Chutes and teleporters info is being displayed now.
- What I forgot to tell in previous progress reports: the program is fully resizable so people working on a 640*480 resolution should have no problems fitting it within their screen. If you squeeze a bit you can even

fit it into a 320*200 resolution
- Have been looking into the numbers that are next to the map-square bitmask and I am pretty sure this is junk in Mordor 1. In Mordor II the first 2 unsigned integers look "interesting". The 1st one is still unknown, but the 2nd one points to the messagenumber being displayed.

Finally a screenshot:

Screenshot

Hey is that a save button in there?
Yes, sure is hombre.
I even got an undo feature in there

What is being saved now at the moment:
- It writes the map squares to the mdata11.mdr file. All features are being written to the file (except the

chute and teleport info which I don't write to the file yet)

- The undo feature goes back to the last save. Basically it rereads the info from the file.

Although tested only short it looks to work like expected in Mordor 1.1 and Mordor 2.98b.
When you alter Mordor 2.992b file however I'm afraid it crashes your Mordor. You've been warned.

A word of advice if you're going to alter your mordor files be sure to make a backup of your files.

As I'm giving this out free to you people, I cannot be held responsible for possible damage this program will cause to you or to your computer.

Happy mapping!

Edit: Almost forgot to tell. Be sure to delete the mdata8.mdr file (current maze-contents file) in your mordor data directory after you altered the map or you'll have pretty confused characters...

--------------------

+Quote Post
Braindead
post Sep 25 2004, 08:54 AM
Post #5

Zombie Master

v0.4 Progress Report:
- Full editing support as promised...
- The program now deletes the mdata8.mdr itself when it finds the file in the same directory as the

mdata11.mdr. Maybe I'll make this an option someday, although I don't have intentions to support editability of the mdata8.mdr file so don't count on it. It basically means you'll have to remap the levels.

What do I mean with full editing support?
Following stuff is written to the file:
- Map squares and its features
- Areas and its associated monsters (limited to 201 in Mordor 1).
- Teleport-locations (limited to 20 in Mordor 1)
- Chute-locations (limited to 10 in Mordor 1)

What still needs to be implemented:
- Figuring out what those last unknowns mean. I'm especially curious where the area-refresh is stored.
- Ability to add new levels (Mordor I & II)
- Ability to extend areas, teleporters, chutes. Will most probably only effect Mordor II as I believe Mordor I-levels must be fixed size (201 areas,20 teleports,10 chutes).
- I still have to cross-reference it to the mdata5.mdr file for easy lookup of the laired monster. Now you'll have to know the number...
- Make the program fool-proof. At the moment there isn't lots of input checking so if you are a not-so-smart computer-user keep your hands off the editor for the moment. I'll get this in as soon as possible.
- I'm sure I will think of something else when I have the time

--------------------

+Quote Post
Braindead
post Sep 25 2004, 08:55 AM
Post #6

Zombie Master

v 0.5 Progress Report:

- Added a button to completely initialize a level (clearing all rooms and areas). In other words ideal if you want to create a level from scratch.
- Cross-linked the map-file to the monster-file. (I've been kicking myself already I wanted to add support for both Mordor I & II)
- Easy set the linked monster via the combobox I wrote specially for this project: Both ID and monster name are shown in the combo and you can search on both at the same time! (numeric search on id, alphanumeric search on name). The list is sorted on name.
- Added a credits section
- Added music playing in the background (which you can turn off if you want to.)

But check it out for yourself and let me know if you find any bugs

Screenshot showing the combobox I'm so proud off in action

--------------------

+Quote Post
Braindead
Post #7

Zombie Master

v0.6 Progress Report:

Additional Features:
- Map Square Features can now also be set via point-and-click (see screenshot)
- Speeded up map draw routine

Bugfixes:
- When completely clearing a map, the map square features of the "active" square were not cleared
- When changing levels a question is asked to save changes. When no is replied the same questions was asked again on new level change even though no additional changes were made.
- When undoing changes, level 1 was loaded again regardless of which level was shown at the time.
- When changing the area-number of the active square, the save/undo feature wasn't activated.
- When changes were made, on close application there is also a question asked if you want to save changes you made.

Extras:
- Added some more tunes for your hearing pleasure while editing the map... 4 of this tunes will only be available in this version as they are related to christmas so get it now maybe it becomes a collector's item...

Additional "Experimental" Features:
- Add more levels than originally in file (applies to both Mordor I & II)
- Add more teleporters than originally in file (only applies to Mordor II)
- Add more chutes than originally in file (only applies to Mordor II)
- Add more lairs than originally in file (only applies to Mordor II)

Warning:
Although levels can be added to the mdata11.mdr file and both my editor and wabbits editor can read these new levels perfectly, Mordor I can not!
Why make this stuff available then you might ask?
Certain people who are also interested in research (thinking wabbit, peterg70, ahab,... to name a few) might want to aid in the search why Mordor cannot access these new levels.
This is most probably somewhere in the exe a fixed number of 15 is read, although maybe the exe-problem can be avoided if the editor also writes mdata10.mdr (current contents of maze) and mdata8.mdr (automap)...

The header of mdata10.mdr consists of 28 bytes per row, the first row contains the number of levels (which is 15 in Mordor 1) , lines underneath contain number of areas (157 for level 1, ...). I don't know whether the rest of the file is also 28 bytes wide...

direct question to Ahab (as you are looking into the sources):
- Have you seen anywhere a fixed number of 15?

direct question to anyone who knows:
- Anyone has any more info on the mdata10.mdr file?

Then there's one last thing I would like to add a html-help file to the editor but I don't feel the urge in creating such a help-file. Anyone wants to offer his/her services? (PM me)

Screenshot of Braindeads Editor v0.6

--------------------

+Quote Post
Braindead
Post #8

Zombie Master

v0.7 Progress Report:

- Possibility to scroll through the map with the cursor keys
- Mark "Easy-Area-Set" by making use of CTRL + LMB (Left Mouse Button). The moment you release CTRL-key an input-dialog will ask you which area-number you want to assign to the area you just marked.
- Mark "Easy-Area-Set" by making use of SHIFT + LMB (will mark the area starting from the active square up to the square you select). Release SHIFT-key for input dialog.
- Mark "Easy-Area-Set" by making use of RMB (Right Mouse Button) Click-Hold-And-Drag. Release RMB for input dialog.
- Switch to previous/next tune by using PgUp/PgDown keys

All options can be turned on or off.

Tip: You can combine SHIFT and CTRL functionality. This is not a bug, it is intentional. How to do this: press SHIFT and mark a rectangular area. Hold SHIFT and press CTRL now. mark additional squares, then release CTRL and SHIFT, as the input dialog is shown assign the area number... this way you can mark any area you want pretty fast...
You can have pretty funky areas too,... I had some feeling of ascii art while I was trying out the feature.

First one who can read what it says gets a Duvel...

Screenshot

--------------------

+Quote Post
Braindead
post Sep 25 2004, 08:56 AM
Post #9

Zombie Master

v0.8 Progress Report:
New functionality (only applies to Mordor II):
- moved U6 to Mordor II specials pane as it is not longer an unknown...
- ability to edit the message file (mdata32.mdr)

Bugfixes:
- do not load music dll when no music is selected
- several other small fixes which I forgot...

As probably only few of you have a Mordor II I'll throw in a little screenshot. Not very exciting, but hey it works and it's one more file which is decoded...

Screenshot

--------------------

+Quote Post
Braindead
Post #10

Zombie Master

v 1.0 Progress Report:
Major version boost since all which I wanted the editor to do at the start of the project can now be done. There is still room for improvement though

New Functionality
- Possibility to add unlimited teleporters. So yikez you should certainly be able to add teleporters to level 1 now
- Possibility to add unlimited chutes.
- Added a disclaimer

Bugfixes for Mordor II functionality
- My PrepareMapLayout routine messed up the file bad on drastic file-layout changes. This is now fixed, I hope...
- Sign numbers were not saved to the file... oops
- got arround Mordor II bug, now you no longer have to subtract 1 from the message-number to connect it to an area. The editor does this now for you... Isn't that nice?
(Well actually this fix caused me big problems as it really f@$*&d up the layout of the mdata11 file, tx to ahab for spotting this in a prerelease I sent to him)

No screenshot this time...

Let me know if you find any bugs.

Happy Mapping

--------------------

+Quote Post
Braindead
Post #11

Zombie Master

v 1.1 Progress Report:
New Functionality
- Implemented a (scrollable) X and Y axis.
(I can't believe it took me 3 days to get this right! Especially the fact I wanted to keep the program fully resizable caused me major problems. Oh well it's in now I hope there aren't any bugs in this feature though because when I look at the code related to the feature I don't understand what I've been doing there... )
- Renamed Mordor 2 feature unknowns to Anti-Teleport and Lava.
- Changed drawing routine to draw features from left to right (from east wall up to lava, like Mordor itself does) and not from right to left like it used to be in previous versions of my editor. This causes the drawing routine to be slightly slower, but you shouldn't notice this. At least now you can see a chute better in a combined fog-chute square .

This screenshot shows a slightly modified Mordor II level 5, in the screenshot you see the anti-teleport and lava squares, and most importantly the axisses which caused me lots of programming trouble...

Screenshot

--------------------

+Quote Post
Braindead
post Sep 25 2004, 08:57 AM
Post #12

Zombie Master

v 1.2 Progress Report:
Added support for users using large fonts.
No matter what the font size is set to, the application should resemble small fonts appearance in all font settings now.

--------------------

+Quote Post
Braindead
Post #13

Zombie Master

v1.3 Progress Report:
New functionality:
- Ability to copy a region of a map and paste it back at another place.
- Ability to boot up several instantions of the editor so you can easily exchange maps between levels and even map files... (only the first one will play music)

Other:
- Several chiptunes added for your hearing pleasure.

How to copy something from one place to another:
Make sure you set select functionality to copy region (see screenshot).
Now you have 3 ways of copying a region to the clipboard:
- right click while moving the mouse, when you release the right mouse button the selected region is copied to the clipboard.
- use CTRL-key + left mouse button to select several squares, on release of the CTRL key the selected region is copied to the clipboard.
- USE SHIFT-key + left mouse button to select a rectangular area, on release of the SHIFT key the selected region is copied to the clipboard.

Now that we have copied the region to the clipboard, we want to paste it at our destination, to do this activate the bottom left square of where you wish to paste the data and press the paste button.

--------------------

+Quote Post
Braindead
Post #14

Zombie Master

v1.4 Progress Report:
New functionality:
- import/export map from/to textfile
- assign monster types (random) to all areas which haven't monster types assigned yet.

Bugfix:
- if directory where the mdata11.mdr is stored was deleted or moved, it was impossible to boot the editor.

Other:
- updated links on Credits page to reflect to the new forum.

--------------------

+Quote Post
Braindead
post Sep 25 2004, 08:59 AM
Post #15

Zombie Master

Bug: when you click on an area, parts of doors and such that are in or adjacent to the area will not show up (for instance, secret doors that look like half a box, instead of a full box)

Yes I'm aware of that, it's on my todo-list to fix this lil' bug in my draw routine wink.gif

Annoyance: My map has about 251 areas required, it maxes out at 200. RAWR!  not_ok.gif

The standard number of areas is 200 in Mordor. I believe I was able to extend it to more but I have not tested that thoroughly. Save this map for a later occasion (think in months not in days).

Another Annoyance: when you select a square with the cursor, if you scroll thru the areas, the selected square becomes whichever area you scroll to. which is REALLY annoying when assigning monsters, because i kept having squares get mis-area-ed

This is not a bug. The up-down control is another way to assign an area to the current square. I know this is quite confusing and in fact I misuse it myself to assign monster types to areas. I know this won't be easy as it's actually the current square's area which is shown, so I would have to move the current square too when moving between areas, this could become a mess, I'll see what I can do.

For now an advice I can give you: select the bottom left square when you start assigning monster types, use the up-down to scroll through the areas and assign the monsters. when you're done assign, set the bottom left square to the right areanumber.

--------------------

+Quote Post
Braindead
post Sep 25 2004, 09:00 AM
Post #16

Zombie Master

@Wabbit (in reply to an out of memory question...): The editor requires 4,78 MB of memory of which 2,84 MB is non-shared memory. The music files played are not midi nor wav files. The files played are mod,it,xm and s3m files, if you want to learn more about the format, see one of the mod-file-players websites (www.modplugcentral.com or www.xmplay.com).

@Sduibek (in reply to several question he asked):
- help file: I don't feel the urge to create this, I've asked the question for someone to create this for me, but no one voluntered, so no help file, well at least not soon. (very low priority on todo-list, it's not even on my todo-list for the moment wink.gif )

- placing secret door/wall/door in same square: I know I should disable it that these features can't be set together, or by placing one you remove other set features. At the moment there is not much error checking and adding the error checking/making the program fool-proof is at the bottom of my todo-list.

- assigning monsters: yes, I realized myself it was crazy to assign water-dwellers to dry squares, it's on my to-fix list for the 1.5 release. I don't know whether I should include it that the maximum assigned number of monster types is 4. (I think in regular Mordor this is only 4 because the map-designers had to manually tick the types available in a area with DA's editor). At the moment I use a 2-sided-dice to decide whether a type should be included or not, and do this for all monster types. I think it gives a fair chance to include the monster type or not. But perhaps I should add an extra factor so that certain types are more rare than others?

- copying causes message-box popup: The editor is added to the list of clipboard-viewers because you have the ability to copy portions of the map. When you copy a map(part) from within the editor it sends the map-data as text to the clipboard (same format as when you export the map to a file), when the editor detects map-data on the clipboard the paste button in the editor is enabled.
I don't get the "cannot open clipboard" no matter what I try to copy, can you be more specific in the problem description (your os, which program you press CTRL-C in, text/graphics you copy, ...) so that I'm able to debug the program in that case.

--------------------

+Quote Post
Braindead
post Sep 25 2004, 09:01 AM
Post #17

Zombie Master

v 1.5 Progress Report:

Finally, I have found some time this weekend to continue development on the editor. When I started development I never thought I would spend so much time on it, and to think I'm not even halfway to what I want the editor to be able to do... whistling.gif

New Functionality:
- The Random Monster Generator has become fully parametrizable. Parametrizable options are the minimum and maximum number of monster types per area, the rarity of each monstertype, the monster types which appear now depend on the type of environment (regular,water,quicksand,fog,lava).

Bugfixes:
- Mozilla Firefox seems to lock the clipboard on NT-based systems when copying data from within a text box. When the data can not be fetched from the clipboard, the WM_DRAWCLIPBOARD message is now ignored.
- Pressing close on a dialogbox had not always the desired effect, now Cancel/Close is treated the same as no.

Screenshot of the Random Monster Generator Options

--------------------

+Quote Post
userjjb
post Nov 11 2004, 11:04 AM
Post #18

Drifter

Group: Members
Member No.: 30

I've created some new monsters as boss types to include in ModDor, however when I go to the drop down menu for monsters to lair, they are not in there. Is this hardwired into the editor, and if so, is there some way I can get around this?

BD: moved to Braindead's Editor thread

+Quote Post
Braindead
post Nov 11 2004, 11:30 AM
Post #19

Zombie Master

make sure that the mdata5.mdr file you modified is in the same directory as the mdata11.mdr file you're modifying. (Monsters in the lair box are read directly from the monster file so the editor needs this file to list the lairable monsters...)

In case this is already the case, send me your latest mdata5 file and I'll check it out...

--------------------

+Quote Post
Kevin062571
post Feb 1 2005, 09:38 PM
Post #20

Student

Group: Members
Member No.: 112
referrer:Decklin's Message Board

In Braindead's Editor v1.5, does the anti-teleport map square mean that you can't...

A) teleport from that square
B) teleport to that square
C) both

+Quote Post

3 Pages V   1 2 3 >
Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 22nd September 2019 - 07:29 PM
Bridged By IpbWiki: Integration Of Invision Power Board and MediaWiki © GlobalSoft
Copyrights and Credits