> Mordor for Web, Windows, and OSX
dwest
post Jul 19 2014, 09:34 AM
Post #1

Journeyman

Group: Members Plus
Member No.: 5,469
referrer:friend

Decided to go back to an old project I was working on some time ago. I wanted to be able to play Mordor on my Mac, and fix up a few things that always bothered me about the game.

It's been about a months work, off and on, but I think it's at the point where I'd love to share it with you guys.

My hope is to make a 100% compatible "Mordor Player" that will run any MDATA set (i.e. the original or mods), while also being able to import previous characters so you can pickup where you left off.

This version runs off the shareware files (which are included) but in the future, if you have a purchased copy, you will be able to load the retail version and play all the levels.

Let me know what you think.

P.s. Still in very much an alpha. Many things don't work, like most spells, most items etc.

http://www.storybookgames.com/com/CoM_web.html

Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post
aardless
post Jul 19 2014, 12:21 PM
Post #2

Goblin Shaman at work (used to be: on strike...)

Group: Admin
Member No.: 18
referrer::yahoo:

Wow impressive!

--------------------
If money doesn't grow on trees, why is it that banks have branches? - sig of a guy on a chinese forum

Most off-topic topics are off-topic - fart642000

+Quote Post
Crashland
post Jul 22 2014, 09:51 AM
Post #3

Teacher

Member No.: 4,781
referrer:Yahoo search engine

This looks amazing already! I hope the project does well!

--------------------
For some good reading, if you'd like to participate, or simply to pass the time, be sure to check out my challenge threads.

The Revolutionary Challenge
The Money Challenge

Can't wait to start a Mordor XP challenge.

QUOTE (DarkerMuffin @ Jun 16 2015, 05:54 AM) *
I stole Asmodeus's tax return!

+Quote Post
Braindead
post Jul 29 2014, 10:05 AM
Post #4

Zombie Master

Group: Admin
Member No.: 1
referrer:;)

very nice. good luck with your project.

--------------------
Do not PM me for support, if you have troubles running Mordor ask in the Technical Support forum!

+Quote Post
Mufti999
post Sep 20 2014, 11:43 AM
Post #5

Journeyman

Member No.: 6,567
referrer:Internet

Hi,

is there a way to contact you for testing?

>I am missing a way to return from the town to the main menue.

Kind regards
Mufti999

+Quote Post
ghezra
post Sep 22 2014, 06:50 PM
Post #6

Student

Group: Members
Member No.: 6,733
referrer:Other forums (Bay 12 games)

The last version was in August. I'm not sure how much hes working on it but I love it as a proof of concept.

You could always go to the root website that he posted and email him about bugs/comments you have. But I would do that sparingly.

+Quote Post
dwest
post Sep 23 2014, 12:11 AM
Post #7

Journeyman

Yeah, I'm still around. I just moved countries so I haven't worked on it for a month. Will be getting back into this week. Figure I'm about 5-10 days away from a beta release. Just some guild stuff, spells, and store to do, along with a bit more of the combat rules.
Feel free to send me messages via the message board. I'll get a dedicated email setup for the game later on.
-Matthew.

+Quote Post
dwest
post Oct 2 2014, 11:59 AM
Post #8

Journeyman

Just uploaded a new version. It's been a while so it took a while to remember how everything worked again.

New content:
-Added a back button to return from town to main menu
-Store can now switch modes between buy and sell
-Sell mode allows for Identifying items, and uncursing

Theres a lot of bugs in this one, and the store sell screen is far from finished (eventually I'll put in tabs rather than button to switch modes). Also the game seems quite hard with new players which makes me thing my combat formula's may be off.

My list of remaining features before I have a beta build is as follows
-Library
-Recording of stats
-Non combat spells
-Guild leaders
-Locked and trapped chests
-Remaining monster combat actions (stealing, resistances, and weapon immunity)

From then it's just a whole bunch of bug fixes and tweaking.

+Quote Post
tillrobby
post Oct 18 2014, 07:26 AM
Post #9

Journeyman

Member No.: 7,563
referrer:google search

Wow this is impressive!
Makes me wonder if I should have made my Mordor project for PC instead tongue.gif Mobiles have really tiny screens...
Will you eventually make original content, or this will be just a "Mordor Player" ?
I saw you used some assets from opengameart, those character pictures and the items are from there too? Really need some free art, can't afford to pay and the artist friend who said will help me, abandoned me sad.gif

+Quote Post
dwest
post Oct 25 2014, 11:36 AM
Post #10

Journeyman

QUOTE (tillrobby @ Oct 18 2014, 08:26 AM) *
Wow this is impressive!
Makes me wonder if I should have made my Mordor project for PC instead tongue.gif Mobiles have really tiny screens...
Will you eventually make original content, or this will be just a "Mordor Player" ?
I saw you used some assets from opengameart, those character pictures and the items are from there too? Really need some free art, can't afford to pay and the artist friend who said will help me, abandoned me sad.gif

Thanks man, I appreciate that. I've been following your work too. Yeah it changes things a bit designing for a different size screen. I've actually been doing a lot of my testing on the iPad (the game works surprisingly well on it) but a phone would be a completely different thing.

In terms of direction, step 1 is just to finish the project of so people can play the classic Mordor (and any mods) on modern computers. I figure I have about 4-6 weeks work left, but won't really get a chance to sit down and work on it properly till late this year. Once that's done I do have some ideas about reworking the game into something I could sell. But that would mean all new content, and that's a lot of work.

I found the portraits on a forum and emailed the guy who posted them to see if I could use them. Haven't heard back though. From what I can gather they are community created replacement portraits for another game, but I can't be sure of that. I have a list somewhere of where all the assets I'm using come from and if I have clearance for them or not. This one's marked as not sure so unless I hear back from the guy I'd need to remove them before releasing it.

I feel your pain about the artists. I basically have to pick projects that I happen to know I can get the assests for off OpenGameArt.

p.s. what's unity 4.6 like
p.p.s. looks like the web builds built with the unity beta won't run on other peoples computers.

+Quote Post
tillrobby
post Nov 3 2014, 11:32 AM
Post #11

Journeyman

Member No.: 7,563
referrer:google search

QUOTE (dwest @ Oct 25 2014, 02:36 PM) *
p.s. what's unity 4.6 like
p.p.s. looks like the web builds built with the unity beta won't run on other peoples computers.

Well the new GUI in 4.6 is amazing, I already use it for easy life and xp bars tongue.gif There are a lot of youtube tutorials on it if you are interested.
The best part is that all the GUI now uses 1 draw call, which is huge for mobiles. I did all the GUI manually with 3DTexts and pictures so it can run fast on mobiles, but it was a pain. But I'll finish this game as it is, it'll take way to much time to convert to the new GUI.

The 4.6 webplayer doesn't work? Hmm 2 of my friends could play it... Can you try it and confirm please? You can find a webplayer link on the newest blog here: http://kapasrobert.com/
You may need to give acces to run the webplayer if you're using Chrome (near the Favorite star button)

This post has been edited by tillrobby: Nov 3 2014, 12:06 PM

+Quote Post
dwest
post Nov 3 2014, 08:28 PM
Post #12

Journeyman

QUOTE (tillrobby @ Nov 3 2014, 12:32 PM) *
Well the new GUI in 4.6 is amazing, I already use it for easy life and xp bars tongue.gif There are a lot of youtube tutorials on it if you are interested.
The best part is that all the GUI now uses 1 draw call, which is huge for mobiles. I did all the GUI manually with 3DTexts and pictures so it can run fast on mobiles, but it was a pain. But I'll finish this game as it is, it'll take way to much time to convert to the new GUI.

The 4.6 webplayer doesn't work? Hmm 2 of my friends could play it... Can you try it and confirm please? You can find a webplayer link on the newest blog here: http://kapasrobert.com/
You may need to give acces to run the webplayer if you're using Chrome (near the Favorite star button)

Oh, it seems to work fine. There is some text in red at the top that says "Built with beta version of Unity. Will only work on your computer!" but it opens and plays on my computer.

+Quote Post
dwest
post Aug 6 2015, 05:32 AM
Post #13

Journeyman

Hi Guys,

It's been a while. I'm on holidays at the moment and decided to keep working on my old Mordor project. I ended up changing out all the graphics and data for stuff that I've created so that I'd be able to release it.
I have a first alpha build that shows just one level, but has most of the basic mechanics together. I'll be working towards a 3 level beta over the next few weeks.
Would love to know what you guys think.

Here's a link to the web version of be build.

I'll be releasing windows and mac versions for the beta too.

P.s. I'm using the unity web-player which won't work on most versions of Chrome. If you have problems loading it try using another browser (such as Firefox). For the final release I'll have an WebGL version that should work on all devices.

P.p.s There a lot of bugs in there (it's an alpha). Some of them I know about, but if you find some send me an email at admin[at]storybookgames.com. (with a screenshot if you can) smile.gif

+Quote Post
korexus
post Aug 9 2015, 10:07 PM
Post #14

Voyager

Member No.: 4,011
referrer:Google Search

Coincidence. I was looking at my Mordor based game recently too...

Yours is pretty amazing looking though, congratulations! Would be nice if you could get monster graphics into the main area, but I guess that's a lot more graphics work.

I found a bug. smile.gif - Stats records are set while creating characters, so I was able to get most of the records by assigning points to a stat, then removing them again and putting them on the next stat. Pretty trivial in the grand scheme of things...

I also found turning round while in the dungeon to be fairly non-intuitive. I might get used to it after a bit of playing, but after clicking to go forward I expected to click to turn too. Perhaps keyboard input would be better anyway?

Overall though, this is really impressive!

korexus.

+Quote Post
dwest
post Aug 10 2015, 12:35 PM
Post #15

Journeyman

QUOTE (korexus @ Aug 9 2015, 10:07 PM) *
Coincidence. I was looking at my Mordor based game recently too...

Yours is pretty amazing looking though, congratulations! Would be nice if you could get monster graphics into the main area, but I guess that's a lot more graphics work.

I found a bug. smile.gif - Stats records are set while creating characters, so I was able to get most of the records by assigning points to a stat, then removing them again and putting them on the next stat. Pretty trivial in the grand scheme of things...

I also found turning round while in the dungeon to be fairly non-intuitive. I might get used to it after a bit of playing, but after clicking to go forward I expected to click to turn too. Perhaps keyboard input would be better anyway?

Overall though, this is really impressive!

korexus.

Hey man, thanks for the feedback.

Try "WASD" to move. The mouse controls are really just a side effect of running it on the iPad. To turn with the mouse you have to kind of swipe left and swipe right. But I'd recommend just using the keyboard.

Haha, yeah I know I noticed the records thing too. I'll have think about how to disable them, or just set the defaults high enough that new characters can't get to them.

How's your project going?

+Quote Post
korexus
post Aug 10 2015, 06:36 PM
Post #16

Voyager

Member No.: 4,011
referrer:Google Search

Didn't think about WASD, just tried the arrow keys then went with the mouse. Good enough for doing some testing, but probably much better on a touch device.

I don't know exactly how it works in Unity, but you should be able to treat the creation information as a form and use the information from that to initiialise a character. That way records would only be set once the choices had been made. Sounds straightforward, but I know that a lot of time it isn't...

My project isn't really going. I dug it out and fixed a few bugs recently, but didn't add anything new. You can move around the map, kill monsters, earn XP, get gold and buy stuff, but that's about all. The community I was making it for are more interested in strategy games, so I spend most of my hobby-coding time working on them. The bit I was going to look at next was a guild/skills structure. Mordor had some good touches there (multiclassing being just available was very nice) and some things that could be better (the skills advancement seemed very opaque to me). I've been playing around with ideas, but it's hard to decide. I see that in your game the Sword of the Winds requires a level 3 sword skill. I like the implications of that, would you care to go into detail?

+Quote Post
dwest
post Aug 11 2015, 01:35 AM
Post #17

Journeyman

QUOTE (korexus @ Aug 10 2015, 07:36 PM) *
Didn't think about WASD, just tried the arrow keys then went with the mouse. Good enough for doing some testing, but probably much better on a touch device.

I don't know exactly how it works in Unity, but you should be able to treat the creation information as a form and use the information from that to initiialise a character. That way records would only be set once the choices had been made. Sounds straightforward, but I know that a lot of time it isn't...

My project isn't really going. I dug it out and fixed a few bugs recently, but didn't add anything new. You can move around the map, kill monsters, earn XP, get gold and buy stuff, but that's about all. The community I was making it for are more interested in strategy games, so I spend most of my hobby-coding time working on them. The bit I was going to look at next was a guild/skills structure. Mordor had some good touches there (multiclassing being just available was very nice) and some things that could be better (the skills advancement seemed very opaque to me). I've been playing around with ideas, but it's hard to decide. I see that in your game the Sword of the Winds requires a level 3 sword skill. I like the implications of that, would you care to go into detail?

Yeah I decided to change the skill system quite a bit. Originally I had a system like Mordor where you needed to be certain levels in various guilds to use an item. But this meant a lot of information for the player. Instead I swapped it around. Gaining levels in guilds increases skills in various areas (weapons, magic, etc). And some items require a certain level of those skills to use. It's not balanced yet though.

In the end it'll work quite similar to Mordor in that you'll still need to be a certain level of a guild to use an item, it's just presented differently.

I'm hoping to fix the records bug in the next release. I'll probably add arrows keys in too smile.gif

+Quote Post
Mufti999
post Sep 13 2015, 03:46 PM
Post #18

Journeyman

Member No.: 6,567
referrer:Internet

Hi, I am also back to this forum. Can you please update your download link. It says "File not found". Thanks.

+Quote Post
dwest
post Sep 18 2015, 09:04 AM
Post #19

Journeyman

QUOTE (Mufti999 @ Sep 13 2015, 04:46 PM) *
Hi, I am also back to this forum. Can you please update your download link. It says "File not found". Thanks.

Ops... changed websites. Best link right now is probably IndieDB http://indiedb.com/games/endurance. There's a download link there.
I'm building http://playendurance.com at the moment, but it's not ready yet.

This post has been edited by dwest: Sep 18 2015, 09:06 AM

+Quote Post
dwest
post Sep 18 2015, 09:05 AM
Post #20

Journeyman

[Delete me]

This post has been edited by dwest: Sep 18 2015, 09:09 AM

+Quote Post

2 Pages V   1 2 >
Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 20th September 2019 - 02:26 AM
Bridged By IpbWiki: Integration Of Invision Power Board and MediaWiki © GlobalSoft
Copyrights and Credits