> Solo good human
fischsemmel
post Jul 25 2019, 04:02 PM
Post #61

Mentor

Group: Members Plus
Member No.: 6,580
referrer:Search engine

You can circle around that slime room. I don't think the two rooms next to it have slime spawns. One IS mythicals though, so you pick your poison.

I almost always charm and then put in confinement for stuff I get quested for, or for something I know is rare and run into like tengu, morgul, etc. It helps sometimes, but I haven't had a lot of repeat quests so far. I don't have much interest in filling confinement in and of itself though, so I haven't made runs back and forth when I find something I haven't sold to it yet. Slows down my exp grind too much!

I only just saw my first sets of Morey bilks the last couple days! None offered to join though. I think the only charm resistant thing I've had 'j'oin so far were numanogs, which I see a ton of anyway smile.gif
Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post
MythrilZenith
post Jul 26 2019, 04:38 PM
Post #62

Soldier

Member No.: 6,867
referrer:A google-search for Mordor: Depths of Dejenol maps led me here!

Mythicals aren't really an issue unless I have no resistances up or am trying to lug around companions, plus I'm strong enough to 1-shot floor 7 mythicals even in melee. It's gonna take some getting used to but I'll just have to re-train myself not to enter the slime room. Half the time they're non-aggressive anyway, but even just running through the room of an aggressive slime stack can be enough to lose an item if you're unlucky. The biggest issue is I'm not strong enough to reliably 1-shot them in melee, and if a Slippery Mire spawns then my spells are worthless.

Speaking of slimes, I ran into a patch of (peaced, thankfully) Violet Fungi on 12 in my recent mapping expedition. I cautiously backed the heck out of that room and didn't go back. 1337.gif

And speaking of re-training habits, are there any dungeon maneuvering habits which you've noticed you have, even if there's no good reason for them? For instance, I noticed that I always go through the right set of teleporters on 4 and 5, never the left, even if it means I need to turn around 180 degrees to do so. For coming back it makes sense because it's an easier walk around the block, but for going deeper it shouldn't make a difference, yet I always do it.

--------------------
Just an average nomad trying to figure out how Mordor really works.

I've also taken the liberty of recording some videos of Mordor: Depths of Dejenol!

Classics are classic, but never mistake nostalgia for superiority. When older is better, it's because it truly is, not just because our perception of it makes it so.

+Quote Post
fischsemmel
post Jul 26 2019, 04:43 PM
Post #63

Mentor

QUOTE (MythrilZenith @ Jul 26 2019, 12:38 PM) *
Mythicals aren't really an issue unless I have no resistances up or am trying to lug around companions, plus I'm strong enough to 1-shot floor 7 mythicals even in melee. It's gonna take some getting used to but I'll just have to re-train myself not to enter the slime room. Half the time they're non-aggressive anyway, but even just running through the room of an aggressive slime stack can be enough to lose an item if you're unlucky. The biggest issue is I'm not strong enough to reliably 1-shot them in melee, and if a Slippery Mire spawns then my spells are worthless.

Speaking of slimes, I ran into a patch of (peaced, thankfully) Violet Fungi on 12 in my recent mapping expedition. I cautiously backed the heck out of that room and didn't go back. 1337.gif

And speaking of re-training habits, are there any dungeon maneuvering habits which you've noticed you have, even if there's no good reason for them? For instance, I noticed that I always go through the right set of teleporters on 4 and 5, never the left, even if it means I need to turn around 180 degrees to do so. For coming back it makes sense because it's an easier walk around the block, but for going deeper it shouldn't make a difference, yet I always do it.

The same reason you give for avoiding slime rooms, an unlucky attack melting an item before you kill them or run through, is what scares me in mythical rooms. It's just a matter of when, not if, you get unlucky and get stoned, so I try my best to avoid mythicals when at all reasonable, and I'm fast to nuke them if I see them (cause I don't want their hitting me on the way out the door to even have a chance to happen).

I saw my first horde of violet fungi recently too! Noped the hell out of that room!

An annoying habit i developed is when I walk into a room as I'm fighting through the dungeon, I quickly run myself to be facing the door to the next room. I guess it speeds things up minimally. But really I should be in the habit of just entering and being ready to run back out if needed, not running myself automatically deeper into uncleared rooms! Small issue overall, especially when not playing solo or not too concerned about keeping deaths low... but it's a habit I've been trying to break, laugh.gif.

This post has been edited by fischsemmel: Jul 26 2019, 04:46 PM

+Quote Post
MythrilZenith
post Jul 26 2019, 05:14 PM
Post #64

Soldier

QUOTE (fischsemmel @ Jul 26 2019, 10:43 AM) *
The same reason you give for avoiding slime rooms, an unlucky attack melting an item before you kill them or run through, is what scares me in mythical rooms. It's just a matter of when, not if, you get unlucky and get stoned, so I try my best to avoid mythicals when at all reasonable, and I'm fast to nuke them if I see them (cause I don't want their hitting me on the way out the door to even have a chance to happen).

I mean, there's always a slim chance, but you can put up resistances to mitigate stone chance. You can't put up resistances vs item destruction. Best you can do is carry around items you don't care about and hope that if it hits it'll take one of those instead of something you really care about.

--------------------

I've also taken the liberty of recording some videos of Mordor: Depths of Dejenol!

Classics are classic, but never mistake nostalgia for superiority. When older is better, it's because it truly is, not just because our perception of it makes it so.

+Quote Post
Mordion
post Jul 26 2019, 10:28 PM
Post #65

Explorer

Member No.: 3,924
referrer:The Super Seer

QUOTE (MythrilZenith @ Jul 26 2019, 01:14 PM) *
I mean, there's always a slim chance, but you can put up resistances to mitigate stone chance. You can't put up resistances vs item destruction. Best you can do is carry around items you don't care about and hope that if it hits it'll take one of those instead of something you really care about.

Can someone confirm that you have to carry the items? I haven’t checked the source code but I was under the impression that empty slots can get targeted.

+Quote Post
MythrilZenith
post Jul 26 2019, 11:48 PM
Post #66

Soldier

QUOTE (Mordion @ Jul 26 2019, 04:28 PM) *
Can someone confirm that you have to carry the items? I haven’t checked the source code but I was under the impression that empty slots can get targeted.

I can't confirm from game code, but if it works that way then the game just doesn't ever tell you if it "hits an empty slot."
I've had a lot of times, for instance, where I open a Slime trap, the sound plays that I failed to disarm it, but nothing gets destroyed. More often than not, actually, nothing gets destroyed. Which would make sense if it was rolling a random integer from 1 to 40 and then hitting that item slot. The only other way I could see it working is if there was, for lack of better term, a hidden "saving throw" against having an item destroyed, and then if you fail it randomly hits one of your held/equipped items.

I also assume that when slimes attack, they randomly roll their "chance to destroy item," and then if that says they destroy something then they roll a random inventory slot. Whether they can target empty slots or not is not something I'm sure of, but if someone who has an editor or access to that code could check it out I'd be really interested to see how that works exactly.

--------------------

+Quote Post
fischsemmel
post Jul 27 2019, 02:32 PM
Post #67

Mentor

I assumed they worked like slime traps too, yeah.

Up to 285 warrior. Getting closer. Crit something for over 250 last night, laugh.gif. It's crazy how slowly the exp needed per level goes up with warrior compared to casters. I'll be over 300 and still needing less than sorc and mage do at 200.

I need to teach myself how to use consumables more. My bank is bursting with fate, sp, and heal items, rings of frost, assorted spheres, etc.

This post has been edited by fischsemmel: Jul 27 2019, 02:33 PM

+Quote Post
Mordion
post Jul 28 2019, 02:14 AM
Post #68

Explorer

QUOTE (MythrilZenith @ Jul 26 2019, 07:48 PM) *
I can't confirm from game code, but if it works that way then the game just doesn't ever tell you if it "hits an empty slot."
I've had a lot of times, for instance, where I open a Slime trap, the sound plays that I failed to disarm it, but nothing gets destroyed. More often than not, actually, nothing gets destroyed. Which would make sense if it was rolling a random integer from 1 to 40 and then hitting that item slot. The only other way I could see it working is if there was, for lack of better term, a hidden "saving throw" against having an item destroyed, and then if you fail it randomly hits one of your held/equipped items.

I also assume that when slimes attack, they randomly roll their "chance to destroy item," and then if that says they destroy something then they roll a random inventory slot. Whether they can target empty slots or not is not something I'm sure of, but if someone who has an editor or access to that code could check it out I'd be really interested to see how that works exactly.

I just checked the code.

MONSMOD.BAS:3294 is the destroy item attack.

It first picks a slot and if it's empty nothing happens.
Then it calculates the odds and limits it to the range 25%-90%
Then it compares the items dungeon level with the monsters dungeon level and aborts if the item is 2 floors better.

MONSMOD.BAS:3539 is the slime trap.
Odds of success are 50% + 2*dungeon level
Then it picks a slot and if it's empty then nothing happens.

Side note, I found another bug. it seems like monsters can never steal from the first slot so put your hands somewhere else.

+Quote Post
fischsemmel
post Jul 28 2019, 04:58 PM
Post #69

Mentor

QUOTE (Mordion @ Jul 27 2019, 10:14 PM) *
I just checked the code.

MONSMOD.BAS:3294 is the destroy item attack.

It first picks a slot and if it's empty nothing happens.
Then it calculates the odds and limits it to the range 25%-90%
Then it compares the items dungeon level with the monsters dungeon level and aborts if the item is 2 floors better.

MONSMOD.BAS:3539 is the slime trap.
Odds of success are 50% + 2*dungeon level
Then it picks a slot and if it's empty then nothing happens.

Side note, I found another bug. it seems like monsters can never steal from the first slot so put your hands somewhere else.

Oh, nice. So I don't really need to worry about a blessing or level14-15 drops getting eaten passing through slime rooms on 1-10. Poor rings would still be vulnerable though sad.gif

+Quote Post
Mordion
post Jul 28 2019, 08:09 PM
Post #70

Explorer

QUOTE (fischsemmel @ Jul 28 2019, 12:58 PM) *
Oh, nice. So I don't really need to worry about a blessing or level14-15 drops getting eaten passing through slime rooms on 1-10. Poor rings would still be vulnerable though sad.gif

I just calculated the odds.
Resistance = 45 - monster's dungeonlevel + player dex - monster dex * 2

if the player is in some state then player dex is multiplied by 4. Still digging on what that means.

+Quote Post
fischsemmel
post Jul 28 2019, 09:30 PM
Post #71

Mentor

QUOTE (Mordion @ Jul 28 2019, 04:09 PM) *
I just calculated the odds.
Resistance = 45 - monster's dungeonlevel + player dex - monster dex * 2

if the player is in some state then player dex is multiplied by 4. Still digging on what that means.

I thought the aborts if item is 2 levels higher than monster dungeon level meant some items can't be destroyed by some monsters.

+Quote Post
Mordion
post Jul 28 2019, 11:08 PM
Post #72

Explorer

QUOTE (fischsemmel @ Jul 28 2019, 05:30 PM) *
I thought the aborts if item is 2 levels higher than monster dungeon level meant some items can't be destroyed by some monsters.

You’re correct. Assuming the slot is not empty and the item quality is low enough then these are the odds for destruction.

+Quote Post
fischsemmel
post Jul 29 2019, 12:59 PM
Post #73

Mentor

So what's the deal with conditionally-spawned rooms? As in, rooms that will never be spawned if you approach them from one direction but will be spawned coming at them from the other way?

The first example of this i see is on level 1, in the bottom right corner. There's a room there in the water (I don't remember exactly) that will be spawned as normal if I come at it from the north, but if I clear towards it from the West then it is empty every time.

On 13 too. The hallway area just above the north stairs to 12, like 19,29,13? Never spawned if I etheral portal up from the stairwell. Spawned if I come in from the misty area to the east first. Mythical room at 20,12,13 is the same. Won't be spawned EVER if I come in from the north-west door. Will spawn as normal if I circle around to the east and come down the hallway into it as my first entrance to the area in a while. Stuff like that

This post has been edited by fischsemmel: Jul 29 2019, 01:01 PM

+Quote Post
fischsemmel
post Jul 29 2019, 03:03 PM
Post #74

Mentor

Man, these warrior levels are GREAT.

I'm up to 304 now, and hitting like a freight train with my GKH (when I don't get con drained). Average hits of over 100 it feels like, sometimes even close to 200. Severs for over 300 rarely. And soon I'll have 3 swings with it!

At that point I'll pound out 50 scav levels just to try to not fall too far behind the difficulty of traps, and to keep the 4-5 consumables I have been carrying always from getting stolen. Then finally the long haul with mage to bottom out soul entrapment cost (well, and precog death and driving field of death pretty low too)!

That won't seem as bad as it really is I think, that 200-320ish grind, zince during those levels I'll be exploring 14 also. Gargantuans and golden eagles are still very, very scary since my defense and hits will be around 430 and 750, respectively, and they can definitely kill me in one round, but I'm fairly confident that constant companions from my mage crest will keep me alive. Exploring new spaces forces me to me more cautious, too, and I'll still be on 12-13 80% lf the time anyway, clearing through pariah rooms. And it'll be great to see some new items again after spending the last couple weeks with hardly any new gear. My a/d should jump nicely within a few days on 14 I hope, even though it'll be some time before I gain any more a/d from more warrior levels.

This post has been edited by fischsemmel: Jul 29 2019, 03:32 PM

+Quote Post
Mordion
post Jul 29 2019, 10:24 PM
Post #75

Explorer

QUOTE (fischsemmel @ Jul 29 2019, 08:59 AM) *
So what's the deal with conditionally-spawned rooms? As in, rooms that will never be spawned if you approach them from one direction but will be spawned coming at them from the other way?

The first example of this i see is on level 1, in the bottom right corner. There's a room there in the water (I don't remember exactly) that will be spawned as normal if I come at it from the north, but if I clear towards it from the West then it is empty every time.

On 13 too. The hallway area just above the north stairs to 12, like 19,29,13? Never spawned if I etheral portal up from the stairwell. Spawned if I come in from the misty area to the east first. Mythical room at 20,12,13 is the same. Won't be spawned EVER if I come in from the north-west door. Will spawn as normal if I circle around to the east and come down the hallway into it as my first entrance to the area in a while. Stuff like that

I’ve never heard of this before. Could it be one of the cross-linked rooms? where two rooms have the same ID so if you clear a room on one part of the map it’s twin becomes empty too? I believe there's one in one of the 2 square rooms in the SE corner of the 1st floor.

There’s also a pit trap bug where if you take pit damage as you enter the monsters don’t show up. If you leave and come back and not fall in then the monsters will be there.

+Quote Post
fischsemmel
post Jul 30 2019, 02:31 PM
Post #76

Mentor

Weird. It's definitely reproducable for me. Only is a little annoying cause I haven't really seen it happening in rooms I am seeking out so much as passing through

+Quote Post
fischsemmel
post Jul 31 2019, 03:32 PM
Post #77

Mentor

Hurrah, I hit 324 warrior for an extra swing! Still gonna do a few more levels next time I play to get the 4 more a/d at 328 before upping scavenger a bit though.

I skimmed some of my posts from my solo osiri and it looks like at similar levels to my human, I was already done exploring my route through 14 (mythical, dragon, etc rooms). I've hardly set foot on 14 with my human yet though! But that'll change soon, then hopefully j start seeing more pariahs and gear upgrades smile.gif

+Quote Post
fischsemmel
post Aug 4 2019, 03:24 AM
Post #78

Mentor

Bah! Ate my second death just now, to the first group of gargantuans I've seen. Mage is great for having companions to soak up those big attacks... when you actually remember to charm stuff before going down to 14. Aged 3 years to add insult to injury, so I'm back up to 21 without another dragons blood waiting. I've been getting drained every few dungeon trips, which has slowly been aging me again as I use up all my good tomes. I've started going by goblin shaman and cockatrice again regularly looking for more aards.

Also annoyed at how many companions I keep losing to spells I shouldn't lose them to. Lost 3 mundragons to 1 flesh to stone (which also tried to hit me), despite it being a 1-target spell.

I've yet to see a 2nd pariah. I've gotten no upgrades in what feels like ages. I can't really poke around on 14 yet without being super careful (as in never stepping into a humanoid area, and never not having 3-4 companions). And there's no significant improvement in my survivability on the horizon either since I have most of my defense from guild levels already and the only upgrades I can find without being on 14 are blessings!

Oh well. At least levels still come pretty quickly at the 213 mage Im currently working on.

Edit - whoa. I just IDed a belt of giant strength! That's +15 attack and +6 defense drom my old belt! Took like 200 million to get the dang thing IDed and realigned though. QQ. It's silly the level requirements on some of this stuff. Like how am I ever going to find this thing at nomad 95? laugh.gif

This post has been edited by fischsemmel: Aug 4 2019, 03:33 AM

+Quote Post
Roland
post Aug 5 2019, 07:47 PM
Post #79

Infiltrator

Member No.: 8,408
referrer:Google

QUOTE (fischsemmel @ Aug 3 2019, 11:24 PM) *
I just IDed a belt of giant strength! That's +15 attack and +6 defense drom my old belt! Took like 200 million to get the dang thing IDed and realigned though. QQ. It's silly the level requirements on some of this stuff. Like how am I ever going to find this thing at nomad 95? laugh.gif

You buy it from the store, where higher-level characters deposited it! This is one of those things Mordor inherited from Avatar, which assumes dozens (if not hundreds) of characters coexisting in the same world. The point of the level restrictions on items is to prevent low-level characters from being invincible from the outset. They don't serve much of a purpose when you have 1 to 4 characters exploring a fresh dungeon.

I think this is why I am so comfortable running new characters in an existing dungeon rather than starting over with a new dungeon. My point of reference is Avatar, not Diablo.

+Quote Post
fischsemmel
post Aug 8 2019, 08:40 PM
Post #80

Mentor

So as great as the mage crest is... I really want to be a warrior (or scav) again. The GKH is GODLY compared to a vampire fang or staff of helarno.

+Quote Post

5 Pages V  « < 2 3 4 5 >
Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 2nd June 2020 - 02:27 AM
Bridged By IpbWiki: Integration Of Invision Power Board and MediaWiki © GlobalSoft
Copyrights and Credits