> Solo good human
fischsemmel
post Jul 2 2019, 11:40 AM
Post #1

Soldier

Group: Members Plus
Member No.: 6,580
referrer:Search engine

Well I'm back at Mordor again, and after a day of playing a full party, i decided to try soloing a good human (with mage emphasis, I guess, I've never really played mage much).

I wasn't too sure how to approach the earliest levels. I was a bit concerned about age since I'm a human and won't have thief to (fully) reduce damage taken and withering, and I won't have healer to make it easier to top off before taking the stairs. But I ended up taking stats to get into sorcerer right away.

I started working up nomad levels with shock, since my 6-strength bronze sword was not very effective... laugh.gif. It was slow going for a while but once I got nomad up into the teens I had enough hp that a bit of damage barely aged me when I went to town, and my sorc spells were letting me work through the first floor pretty well.

I got stuck with some rough quests and against my usual wishes I had to forfeit one (robe of insight at like 25 nomad). Oh well. It didn't even help my hits cause I'm ignoring the OLP since grinding that many tomes of endurance at level 1-5 drives me bonkers. And I'll be so high level eventually anyway that I'll hit 999 hp besides.

After 4 hours or so I've gotten nomad to 30, sorc in the 24ish range, and I decided to add mage, which is now at 15, to start getting minor heal action in.

I haven't been too annoyed at no CoO yet, but scavenger is next on my list even though it'll need like 30 levels before it's cheap enough to use without lots of town trips to reset mana.

Long term, I'm envisioning lots of warrior, LOTS of scavenger, and quite a bit of mage and sorc, with a dip into seeker for some basic exploration skills. I'm hoping the lower xp requirement as a human will basically make warrior a "free" guild compared to my other idea of gnome, which would have been leveling in seeker for melee potential.

Gotta run, more to come later!
Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post
MythrilZenith
post Jul 2 2019, 06:22 PM
Post #2

Soldier

Member No.: 6,867
referrer:A google-search for Mordor: Depths of Dejenol maps led me here!

Another soloist, but it sounds like on a fresh install? Good luck!

The biggest weakness of the Good alignment is lack of access to Thief and Healer. Charm of Opening takes a lot more levels to get to minimum cost for Scavenger, and 6 minimum cost feels a lot worse than 3.

That said, a human would be able to access the Warrior and Ninja classes, which could make soloing with melee attacks at least somewhat reasonable until lower depths. The fighting skill of the Warrior class in particular is leagues better than any other class (and is probably the biggest thing I miss about my Elf), although the raw A/D of Nomad is still effective.

You might think the OLR is overrated when you're going to be leveling so high anyway, but it REALLY helps you survive as a solo character. Especially if you start leveling in multiple classes, you're going to start hitting a point where you do a ton of leveling and don't get much HP for it. I guess it's not strictly necessary, but it is really helpful.

Your leveling is going to be really fast as a Human, but you're gonna need to be really careful about aging, especially without a helpful healer - that resting at town is gonna add up FAST, and any death is going to have a not-insignificant risk of complications. Getting to Dragon's Blood quickly is gonna be really important, and you'll want to be as fresh as you can once you start hitting Age-attacking monsters.

I also agree - starting with a fresh level 1 after you're used to level 200+ characters is a real shock to the system. Half the time my fresh recruits die to the first kobold they see! laugh.gif

I'm excited to see how things go for you! Humans are my favorite race to play generally because of the faster leveling speed, but doing a solo does sound like it could get rough going into the bottom third of the dungeon.

--------------------
Just an average nomad trying to figure out how Mordor really works.

I've also taken the liberty of recording some videos of Mordor: Depths of Dejenol!

Classics are classic, but never mistake nostalgia for superiority. When older is better, it's because it truly is, not just because our perception of it makes it so.

+Quote Post
Roland
post Jul 2 2019, 07:16 PM
Post #3

Infiltrator

Member No.: 8,408
referrer:Google

It looks like the big difference between your Good Human and my Evil Morloch is that my character is a legacy and yours is not. Otherwise, the same guilds, same strengths, same weaknesses. Eventually we're both going to have to figure out how to kill the Big Guy without the Big Spell.

If I were building a Human I might skip Warrior and Scavenger and go for Ninja instead. A Ninja's thieving skills are not that much worse than a Scavenger's (apart from COO cost), and a solo character would really benefit from the extra swings.

I am finding that I don't miss Healer that much. For a full party you really need a Healer, but for a solo char the Mage's healing ability plus healing items are more than adequate.

+Quote Post
fischsemmel
post Jul 2 2019, 07:20 PM
Post #4

Soldier

Yeah, I always do solo attempts fresh because I get bored grinding levels without it being the "full Mordor experience." Having the gear waiting for me and starting at max stats just kills the appeal for me.

Having solod the game with an osiri early this year (the thread is still front page I think), and tried several other times, I really do believe OLP is overrated as a survivability method. I don't fault anyone who uses it or think it's pointless, but the way I'm soloing Im not ever going to die because my max hits weren't enough so much as because I made a bad decision ("I'll just take one quick peek down onto 14! WCGW?!) or got stoned or rocked. Early insta-death encounters are no match for my defense by the time I face them. Later insta-death encounters aren't faced until I'm at max hits anyway. Meanwhile grinding con to 22+ without leveling much or at all is infuriating for me.

Having fun so far. I think I'm 19 is all, with mage, sorc, and scav all around 27 and now that I got into and wis high enough for IDs I've got enough gold for warrior and seeker whenever I am ready. I'm trying hard to do this with no deaths so age isn't a concern really, short of old age deaths!

+Quote Post
fischsemmel
post Jul 2 2019, 07:27 PM
Post #5

Soldier

QUOTE (Roland @ Jul 2 2019, 03:16 PM) *
It looks like the big difference between your Good Human and my Evil Morloch is that my character is a legacy and yours is not. Otherwise, the same guilds, same strengths, same weaknesses. Eventually we're both going to have to figure out how to kill the Big Guy without the Big Spell.

If I were building a Human I might skip Warrior and Scavenger and go for Ninja instead. A Ninja's thieving skills are not that much worse than a Scavenger's (apart from COO cost), and a solo character would really benefit from the extra swings.

I am finding that I don't miss Healer that much. For a full party you really need a Healer, but for a solo char the Mage's healing ability plus healing items are more than adequate.

Hmm. I'm bummed enough about no thief already, I'm not sure I can convince myself to drop my thieving all the way down to ninja level... laugh.gif. Though I'll admit I hadn't realized ninja modifier was 7; I thought it was lower.

I'm not really worried about dying at all. My osirri beat the game without mage or warrior access OR a ring of entrapment. That's a significant difference in gear, guild defense, and extra targets for the Big Baddies to focus on instead of me.

Maintaining charms perpetually to shield against an inevitable stoning slipping past my resists sounds like it'll be taxing, though.

Your morloch looks fun. The low con scared me off (omg stoning), but everything else sure looks appealing for a non-neutral solo.

This post has been edited by fischsemmel: Jul 2 2019, 08:49 PM

+Quote Post
MythrilZenith
post Jul 2 2019, 10:54 PM
Post #6

Soldier

At this point I'm realizing just how slowly I grind out on this game compared to everyone else >.<

I guess if you've already done a solo character through to the end then you'll know a lot more than I do about the challenges that await! Still, it's cool to see others trying these solo build challenges, because it gives me a better sense of what to worry about going forward.

--------------------

I've also taken the liberty of recording some videos of Mordor: Depths of Dejenol!

Classics are classic, but never mistake nostalgia for superiority. When older is better, it's because it truly is, not just because our perception of it makes it so.

+Quote Post
fischsemmel
post Jul 2 2019, 11:21 PM
Post #7

Soldier

QUOTE (MythrilZenith @ Jul 2 2019, 06:54 PM) *
At this point I'm realizing just how slowly I grind out on this game compared to everyone else >.<

I guess if you've already done a solo character through to the end then you'll know a lot more than I do about the challenges that await! Still, it's cool to see others trying these solo build challenges, because it gives me a better sense of what to worry about going forward.

Hah. I'm a bit of a ... uh ... binger? My free time activity du jour gets ALL of my free time until the next thing gets my attention (again).

Ice never gotten a "hardcore"/no death solo below like, dungeon level 8 though. So we'll see how long I make it before I need to reset and reevaluate.

The tldr with my osirri iirc, was patience. I didn't do optimal leveling, but I had a llloootttt of seeker and sorcerer and healer levels before I "won." I also had maybe 8-10 deaths iirc, albeit mostly from rocking and stoning. I farmed up 7 blessings I believe, before I got tired lf that character.

This post has been edited by fischsemmel: Jul 2 2019, 11:25 PM

+Quote Post
fischsemmel
post Jul 3 2019, 04:47 PM
Post #8

Soldier

Aaaaand I died already. I fatfingered my way into the chute near the goblins on dungeon level 3 on my way back from the Lord, so I was already not in tiptop shape. I made it back to level 3 by defending and trying to dash to stairs through the unexplored floors, but as I neared the steps to 2 I ran into a room full of dwarves when j was getting precipitously low on hits and in a panic, a rotator led me into another pit and the dwarves did the last 4 hits before I could even hop out of it.

Shame. Shame. Shame. (You know. Shame on me for not using OLP because an extra 150 hits woulda meant I didn't die here. Hah! Note to self: suck it up and grind con times for a serious hardcore attempt.)

And thus ends my hardcore attempt. But I wasnt very optimistic anyway, so I'll be continuing to play this guy to completion regardless while trying to better my overall death count I had with my osirri earlier this year.

Currently at 9.3 hours, 21 years old, 30 nomad 26 warrior (quested for a dust of locating that I haven't even seen one of yet), 7 seeker, 27 scavenger, 32 mage, 27 sorc. Working on dropping minor heal cost a bit more then I'll probably work on lowering resist and acid spray costs and hope I find a dust of locating along the way. I was hoping to take warrior up high enough to supplant Crashland before I stopped it, but as I've said, I pretty much refuse to forfeit unless I'm pinned in everything I want more exp in smile.gif

This post has been edited by fischsemmel: Jul 3 2019, 04:54 PM

+Quote Post
BLauritson
post Jul 3 2019, 06:29 PM
Post #9

Lord Fnorgle

Group: Admin
Member No.: 9
referrer:Let's see.. I can't remember now, it was too long ago.

I suppose it's better to have such a death early on than to get very close to the end and fall at the last hurdle smile.gif

Good luck with your solo quest, I look forward to seeing how you get on with it.

--------------------

+Quote Post
MythrilZenith
post Jul 3 2019, 06:52 PM
Post #10

Soldier

I'm honestly more surprised that you were able to survive the chute at all with the levels you had :O The difficulty spike between floors 3 and 4 is a fairly big one. Makes sense considering the shareware version of the game capped out at floor 3 laugh.gif oh man good times, stepping onto that chute and having nothing happen because "that floor does not exist."

Yeah without OLR the raw HP of a solo character is gonna be really hard to get up, especially if you're pushing yourself to go deeper constantly. It's not downright necessary, but it does make surviving the early levels significantly easier. That said, if you're not running legacy it basically front-loads a lot of grinding, and the single-digit level period of a character is the absolute worst - I do NOT recommend trying to grind out tomes without leveling up, that just sounds like a form of masochistic torture even I wouldn't subject myself to.

You mentioned getting rocked on your other character? Were you playing around with displacement and missing inputs, or did you just Eth into a spot without checking for rock first? Either way, I'm half-terrified of messing up a displacement input so I rarely use the spell. Makes my dungeon running a bit more tedious but that's the price I pay for safety :shrug:

You aged all the way to 21 already? Wow, that hurts. I guess that's one reason for leveling a class with good healing spells - cutting back on age.

--------------------

+Quote Post
fischsemmel
post Jul 3 2019, 06:57 PM
Post #11

Soldier

QUOTE (MythrilZenith @ Jul 3 2019, 02:52 PM) *
I'm honestly more surprised that you were able to survive the chute at all with the levels you had :O The difficulty spike between floors 3 and 4 is a fairly big one. Makes sense considering the shareware version of the game capped out at floor 3 laugh.gif oh man good times, stepping onto that chute and having nothing happen because "that floor does not exist."

Yeah without OLR the raw HP of a solo character is gonna be really hard to get up, especially if you're pushing yourself to go deeper constantly. It's not downright necessary, but it does make surviving the early levels significantly easier. That said, if you're not running legacy it basically front-loads a lot of grinding, and the single-digit level period of a character is the absolute worst - I do NOT recommend trying to grind out tomes without leveling up, that just sounds like a form of masochistic torture even I wouldn't subject myself to.

You mentioned getting rocked on your other character? Were you playing around with displacement and missing inputs, or did you just Eth into a spot without checking for rock first? Either way, I'm half-terrified of messing up a displacement input so I rarely use the spell. Makes my dungeon running a bit more tedious but that's the price I pay for safety :shrug:

You aged all the way to 21 already? Wow, that hurts. I guess that's one reason for leveling a class with good healing spells - cutting back on age.

I don't mess up displacement often, though I tend to just use EP (not buffered) and fight my way around. Teleport gets me killed though eventually when I'm only visiting low levels and I use a set location I know is safe so I can just 0,0,-3 down. But I inevitably end up going down 3 from 13+ or up 3 from the stairs and dying in time. laugh.gif.

Being 21 already is mostly from 40-50 tomes.

+Quote Post
Roland
post Jul 3 2019, 07:06 PM
Post #12

Infiltrator

Member No.: 8,408
referrer:Google

QUOTE (fischsemmel @ Jul 2 2019, 03:27 PM) *
Maintaining charms perpetually to shield against an inevitable stoning slipping past my resists sounds like it'll be taxing, though.

Your morloch looks fun. The low con scared me off (omg stoning), but everything else sure looks appealing for a non-neutral solo.

I would not have attempted a non-legacy Morloch - I agree the low con would be prohibitive. The low cha is also annoying. As a human you will be able to cast Soul Entrapment. My Morloch can't cast it without two pieces of cha-boosting equipment.

This post has been edited by Roland: Jul 3 2019, 07:11 PM

+Quote Post
MythrilZenith
post Jul 3 2019, 07:09 PM
Post #13

Soldier

QUOTE (fischsemmel @ Jul 3 2019, 12:57 PM) *
I don't mess up displacement often, though I tend to just use EP (not buffered) and fight my way around. Teleport gets me killed though eventually when I'm only visiting low levels and I use a set location I know is safe so I can just 0,0,-3 down. But I inevitably end up going down 3 from 13+ or up 3 from the stairs and dying in time. laugh.gif.

Being 21 already is mostly from 40-50 tomes.

Oof, I know that feel. I don't know if I've ever used the Teleport spell and gotten the right Z-axis. I tried to rescue a party who fell down a chute and ended up hitting floor 12. I only had enough spell points across my party to do one more jump back up to 9. That party was only able to survive around floor 6 or 7 themselves so it was... an experience... navigating them out of this fresh hell they found themselves in, where half their weapons didn't work.

--------------------

+Quote Post
fischsemmel
post Jul 4 2019, 10:40 AM
Post #14

Soldier

Yay, I'm a guildmaster! I overtook Sparrowhawk just a few minutes ago, which I'm pretty pumped about because so far I've only been in the 20s-30s for any one of my guilds and that stretches my spell points really thin every time I'm in the dungeon. 6-10 per buff when I need 3-4, 8+ per minor heal when I come back to town that I need to save for, any remotely-potent nuke costs 12-30, etc. But now at least I have the mage crest to use 6 times per dungeon trip, which will both help me deal more damage more quickly directly by charming stuff and indirectly through the charms I then have, but it'll also decrease the amount of damage I take a bit as my charms get targetted instead of me!

Too bad I'm pretty much due to leave the mage guild and work on my other ones at this point though, laugh.gif. I really need to bring down the cost of charm of opening and boost my thieving skills. I've been just sniping the goblin shaman+lord and the dwarven lord, and otherwise charging around 1 to open chests and fighting on 2 for experience. Traps and stealing enemies on 4 have been nasty. But of course I'm spread thin in other ways too, and more sorc levels to lower the costs of my resist buffs and boost the effectiveness of my nukes would be great too. Seeker can sit tight at least, since it gives such a load of perception just from that 1st level. Warrior is still on hold until I find a dust of locating despite this being the guild I'd like to level the most right now. If I get another 15-20 levels with sorc and scav and still haven't found one, I'll probably bite the bullet and forfeit so I can get warrior up to the point that I can start increasing my A/D again and do my exploring of new levels as a warrior for the best armor and weapon choices.

Edit - yeah! Having company is fun! I've basically never charmed anything cause I've never really used a mage much, and I've never found a ring of whatever that uses soul entrapment. I'm back to sorcerer for now though.

This post has been edited by fischsemmel: Jul 4 2019, 11:49 AM

+Quote Post
fischsemmel
post Jul 6 2019, 01:22 PM
Post #15

Soldier

Last night I finally broke down, still having not seen a single dust of locating, and forfeited warrior back down to 23. But it was for the best, because i got a bunch of warrior levels very quickly fighting around on 4 and actually starting to go after twisted elf. I became guildmaster a few minutes ago, and am gaining a/d again, and I figure I'll keep with warrior until I get an extra swing at 91.

I'm already annoyed with scavenger. I want to level mage and sorc more (REALLY need cheaper resist buffs ... so many electrocutes a d breaths are showing up on 5 already), but I really need to keep scav as my highest guild probably in order to handle the traps I run into well. I'm anxious to work my way down to 7 so I can rack up levels in scav slaughtering those pesky water dwellers.

I ran into an annoying consequence of being good earlier. I was quested for a killart and I had one in confinement so j bought it to attack and recharm. Nope! My moral code doesn't permit me to turn on good companions! Plus I don't like lethal gauntlets. Maybe I shoulda gone evil!

This post has been edited by fischsemmel: Jul 6 2019, 01:24 PM

+Quote Post
BLauritson
post Jul 6 2019, 04:04 PM
Post #16

Lord Fnorgle

Group: Admin
Member No.: 9
referrer:Let's see.. I can't remember now, it was too long ago.

There's always the option of realigning a companion from the confinement - as far as I know you're not prevented from realigning a Good companion so that should help you work around that restriction smile.gif

--------------------

+Quote Post
fischsemmel
post Jul 6 2019, 04:06 PM
Post #17

Soldier

QUOTE (BLauritson @ Jul 6 2019, 12:04 PM) *
There's always the option of realigning a companion from the confinement - as far as I know you're not prevented from realigning a Good companion so that should help you work around that restriction smile.gif

Life pro tip right here, laugh.gif

+Quote Post
fischsemmel
post Jul 6 2019, 11:40 PM
Post #18

Soldier

It was a productive (well... in Mordor. Less so in real life) day. I got up to 91 warrior smoothly, found a ring of opening and a ring of teleportation, and just did a quick few levels with scavenger to secure my third guildmaster crest.

50-90 warrior made such a big difference. I went from messing around on 3 and 4 and not pinning before returning to town to skipping my way down to 5 every trip and pinning with spell points to spare. The extra defense I picked up and significantly stronger melee attacks, even before adding an extra swing at 91, were working wonders. Unlocking delvars axe helps a lot too I think; those crits help me get a lot more 1-hit kills. My day's highlight was 2-shotting a giant slug, laugh.gif

I'm looking forward to cracking out 25-30 quick scav levels with great ease (6 free CoO per trip is so huge when it costs 20-some sp for me to actually cast still!). Hopefully at that point I'm + or (probably overly optimistic here) ++ on level 5 traps, and I'll get to revisit sorc to unseat Requnix!

This post has been edited by fischsemmel: Jul 6 2019, 11:42 PM

+Quote Post
fischsemmel
post Jul 7 2019, 11:22 PM
Post #19

Soldier

Oh cool, another ring. I wonder what this one is. Pretty expensive to ID! At least it isn't cursed or a ring of invis or something.

Ring. Of. Entrapment.

I played for hundreds of hours on my osiri looking for one of these damn things. I mapped out ring farm routes besides just visiting the twisted elf every half hour I possibly could. Never saw a one. Now I'm playing a character intended to be focused on being a mage... and already, I get this ring. laugh.gif

I know that it's only SL 90 compared to mage spell and crest going higher, but still. Come on. Where's the justice? Couldn't I have gotten an elven ring for this guy? Hahaha...

Anyway. 27 hours, just dethroned Requnix. 30 nomad, 91 warrior, 7 seeker, 91 scavenger, 57 mage, 63 sorc. 300 million gold, still just the one, dumb death. Probably will play with the sorcerer crest a bit down in 7's lake (and the butcher and demonist, who haven't coughed up anything decent yet and probably are a bit out of my league really... I still haven't even explored basically any of 6, heh) before I revisit mage to minimize minor heal cost.

This post has been edited by fischsemmel: Jul 7 2019, 11:25 PM

+Quote Post
fischsemmel
post Jul 8 2019, 12:05 PM
Post #20

Soldier

Lame. I got an avenger (i think? It was "Sword" from the butcher) just now. Ran back to town cause he and the champions work me over even when I engage with companions. Go to ID the sword, and it's not in slot 18 like it said it was. Checked my combat log and no steal or destroyed messages are there. Wth?

+Quote Post

5 Pages V   1 2 3 > » 
Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 27th May 2020 - 02:22 PM
Bridged By IpbWiki: Integration Of Invision Power Board and MediaWiki © GlobalSoft
Copyrights and Credits