IPB

Welcome Guest ( Log In | Register )

11 Pages V  « < 3 4 5 6 7 > »   
Reply to this topicStart new topic
> Recording a Mordor run - solo good elf!
MythrilZenith
post Jun 10 2019, 08:24 PM
Post #81

Fighter

Group: Members Plus
Member No.: 6,867
referrer:A google-search for Mordor: Depths of Dejenol maps led me here!

New episode! https://youtu.be/m7L8O3nljsI
I'm trying to get a video up every week, doing a whole "Mordor Monday" type thing, since that's when my schedule is open enough for regular recording sessions. Still gonna be doing off-screen grinding between parts, though. If I keep at it then I'll eventually finish this game!

So I'm almost 200 sorc right now, and found a Vampire Fang, which should help a lot. I switched up my equipment and now floor 9 isn't too big of a threat (unless I run into something like Mundragons, who CAN'T BE CHARMED AT FULL HP by the purple sash, meaning they're practically guaranteed to deal a ton of damage with breath attacks). Floor 10 is a different story, especially if I run into Lava Giants or the like.

Man, it feels weird mapping a dungeon without looking at the dungeon map again. I was glad I remembered what the Giant King room looked like or I would have blundered into it and gotten myself obliterated. This is the time I should probably keep some healing items in my inventory again.

--------------------
Just an average nomad trying to figure out how Mordor really works.

I've also taken the liberty of recording some videos of Mordor: Depths of Dejenol!

Classics are classic, but never mistake nostalgia for superiority. When older is better, it's because it truly is, not just because our perception of it makes it so.
Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post
Roland
post Jun 10 2019, 10:23 PM
Post #82

Mentor

Member No.: 8,408
referrer:Google

QUOTE (MythrilZenith @ Jun 10 2019, 04:24 PM) *
So I'm almost 200 sorc right now, and found a Vampire Fang, which should help a lot. I switched up my equipment and now floor 9 isn't too big of a threat (unless I run into something like Mundragons, who CAN'T BE CHARMED AT FULL HP by the purple sash, meaning they're practically guaranteed to deal a ton of damage with breath attacks). Floor 10 is a different story, especially if I run into Lava Giants or the like.

I see the problem. The average "damage" from a Purple Sash is just 142 hp (range 90-194), while Mundragons average 165 hp (range 124-206). It looks like the sash should work on a Mundragon about 1 time in 4. Paralyzing Death is the cheapest spell that will be effective against Mundragons for a level-200 Sorcerer.

+Quote Post
MythrilZenith
post Jun 12 2019, 02:45 PM
Post #83

Fighter

1 in 4, eh? Yeah I'm already kind of missing my white sashes laugh.gif, they stopped being effective awhile ago but at least they were good area clear for weaker mobs like tiger sharks. Still, 94-194 isn't a terrible range. If only the bind of the spell wasn't garbage it would actually be pretty useful for bringing along floor 6-7 dragons.

Oh wait I'm Good aligned, which is probably why these dragons break bind levels so easy - they're evil, aren't they?

This post has been edited by MythrilZenith: Jun 12 2019, 02:47 PM

--------------------

I've also taken the liberty of recording some videos of Mordor: Depths of Dejenol!

Classics are classic, but never mistake nostalgia for superiority. When older is better, it's because it truly is, not just because our perception of it makes it so.

+Quote Post
Roland
post Jun 12 2019, 11:05 PM
Post #84

Mentor

Of 18 kinds of dragons, 1 is good, 10 are neutral, and 7 are evil. But I don't think alignment is a factor in breaking binding.

+Quote Post
MythrilZenith
post Jun 17 2019, 07:38 PM
Post #85

Fighter

Another monday, another Mordor vid. If I keep myself on this pace then I'll finish this game eventually!
https://youtu.be/ZXLEzB0E8UM

So I've been trying to level up some of my lower guild levels - mostly Scavenger for thieving ability, with some Paladin thrown in for A/D and fight skill - but that progress has been slowed by quests. I know it's gonna take longer to complete every quest than just to pass on them, especially when they're only de-leveling me by like 4, but when I lose an equipment tier level it just feels really bad. Plus I'm using this as an excuse to fill my confinement, and level other classes while searching for my questing quarry, as it were. Currently on the docket is a Morgul, a "very rare" giant from level 4 whom I've only ever found like 20 of on this install. I found one off-screen, but it got killed by its friends after I charmed it sad.gif .

In terms of my character's overall survival, I think I should be able to go pretty deep, but with the rate I have to use high-level spells to kill enemies I'm gonna have to start packing spell scrolls and healing gems to keep pushing deeper.

Currently sitting at:
Hits - 679
Spells - 250

Sorcerer: 208
Paladin: 115
Scavenger: 105
Mage: 100
Wizard: 77
Nomad: 73

Leprosy and Acid Spray are starting to cap out on what they can reliably kill as of floors 9-10, so I have Paralyzing Death on standby. Static Mesh is a pretty solid backup, and I found a Static Sash which is a pretty reliable panic-button as well. I'm wanting to get more defensive equipment before going deeper - with a Vampire Fang at my disposal I have my offense covered, but it would be nice to get a few more points in defense so I don't keep getting hit by floor 6-7 monsters on the descent.

This post has been edited by MythrilZenith: Jun 17 2019, 07:45 PM

--------------------

+Quote Post
Nudibranch
post Jun 18 2019, 05:51 PM
Post #86

Fire Master

Group: Mordor MP Prog
Member No.: 71
referrer:search

The Demonist on 7 drops spell tomes if you need more SP. Though the best way to get more SP is to get your spell costs down in the first place. smile.gif

--------------------
I would have started with lasers. Eight o'clock. Day one.

+Quote Post
Roland
post Jun 18 2019, 07:11 PM
Post #87

Mentor

QUOTE (MythrilZenith @ Jun 17 2019, 03:38 PM) *
So I've been trying to level up some of my lower guild levels - mostly Scavenger for thieving ability, with some Paladin thrown in for A/D and fight skill - but that progress has been slowed by quests.

I think Scavenger is the right choice. You need better boxing ability if you are running deeper, and Charm of Opening is still pretty expensive at your current level. Plus improved backstab will contribute to your fighting ability. And the Crest of the Scavenger, with +3 dex and 6 charges of COO is useful - the dex bonus will help you win initiative, which can prevent a lot of damage.

QUOTE (MythrilZenith @ Jun 17 2019, 03:38 PM) *
Plus I'm using this as an excuse to fill my confinement, and level other classes while searching for my questing quarry, as it were. Currently on the docket is a Morgul, a "very rare" giant from level 4 whom I've only ever found like 20 of on this install. I found one off-screen, but it got killed by its friends after I charmed it sad.gif .

I've been doing the same thing with my solo character. At the end of my run, if I have enough spell points left, I grab a monster or two for confinement. (I can't do this with my high-level Mage because his companions rip most monsters to shreds before I can charm them.) I need to update my shopping list!

+Quote Post
MythrilZenith
post Jun 24 2019, 08:32 PM
Post #88

Fighter

We're up to 42 full parts now! Here's this week's video: https://youtu.be/2CWf1DyqLHk

I've been grinding up Scavenger, just passed 195 and minimum Scav cost for Charm of Opening. Now I'm looking to maybe level up Mage for the heal spell or Paladin for fighting ability, but the more I think about it the less important healing is. Sure, it's nice for emergencies, but at that point I should just be stocking healing items instead of wasting my valuable spell points on healing. At the very least I want to level up Paladin so I don't have to keep changing my equipment when I swap between it and Scavenger.

I visited level 11 today, and have been taking tours to the Giant King on 10. Just starting to find decent items - Studded Cuirbouli, Boots of Levitation, Static Sashes and the like. I'm not too scared of aging just yet, but the withering traps are adding up, so it would be nice to start building a collection of Dragon's Blood.

The most dangerous monsters I'm fighting are those highlighted in the Spoiler walkthrough - ninjas, death haws, silent eagles, and anything with a breath weapon. I really want to amp up my Sorcerer leveling to get minimum cost for Paralyzing Death because I've been in *just* enough situations where I have barely not enough points for a good PD when a pack of Mundragons show up. That said, I think the more annoying thing about Mundragons is that the only spells I have that reliably 1-shot a full group tend to be the spells that "take to long to cast when peaced," and Mundragons like to show up "peaced" more often than not. Unsure whether to blame my high charisma or dumb luck.

As for a second extra swing, that's around 500 for either Pally or Scavenger, so.... yeah that's not gonna happen anytime soon.

--------------------

+Quote Post
BLauritson
post Jun 24 2019, 10:10 PM
Post #89

Lord Fnorgle

Group: Admin
Member No.: 9
referrer:Let's see.. I can't remember now, it was too long ago.

On the peaced front, is it possible with these more powerful spells to tap the F key then quickly cast them from a buffer before the monsters act? Or does this still run the risk of them getting first initiative as soon as you initiate combat?

--------------------

+Quote Post
Roland
post Jun 24 2019, 11:54 PM
Post #90

Mentor

The second extra swing comes at 484 for Paladin and 531 for Scavenger.

When I want to cast Soul Entrapment on a peaced monster group, I hit the Dazzle buffer and then immediately hit Soul Entrapment. The threat of Dazzle un-peaces them, and then Soul Entrapment overrides the original spell. I assume this trick will work with any spell that takes too long to cast when peaced.

+Quote Post
MythrilZenith
post Jun 25 2019, 06:29 PM
Post #91

Fighter

QUOTE (BLauritson @ Jun 24 2019, 04:10 PM) *
On the peaced front, is it possible with these more powerful spells to tap the F key then quickly cast them from a buffer before the monsters act? Or does this still run the risk of them getting first initiative as soon as you initiate combat?

My issue with pressing the F key to start a fight is that my character swings *immediately.* I'm not sure if this is because of the speed of my computer or what, but my character always starts swinging before I have a chance to throw down a spell.

QUOTE (Roland @ Jun 24 2019, 05:54 PM) *
The second extra swing comes at 484 for Paladin and 531 for Scavenger.

Basically 500 then.

QUOTE (Roland @ Jun 24 2019, 05:54 PM) *
When I want to cast Soul Entrapment on a peaced monster group, I hit the Dazzle buffer and then immediately hit Soul Entrapment. The threat of Dazzle un-peaces them, and then Soul Entrapment overrides the original spell. I assume this trick will work with any spell that takes too long to cast when peaced.

I could try buffer-switching, but that's gonna be a real quick input trick that I'm not gonna always get. If I fail, I waste some SP, but if I succeed I don't take a full combat round of damage. Pros and cons need to be weighed I suppose.

--------------------

+Quote Post
MythrilZenith
post Jul 2 2019, 12:51 AM
Post #92

Fighter

Another Monday, another video, though a bit later in the day than usual. https://youtu.be/aG_dDYH1lpM

I'm hitting the point where I honestly don't know what I should be leveling up just because everything has some benefit to it. Scavenger gives thief ability and some combat stuff, Paladin gives more combat stuff, Sorcerer helps with PD cost and spell damage overall, and Mage helps reduce SE cost (by a lot), healing cost, and has crest strong enough to catch even deeper-dwelling monsters (of which my confinement is looking a bit sparse). Mage also is the only other class I plan on leveling which has not reached the level for my best items, including Studded Cuirboli.

Losing the vampire fang to a freaking slime trap sucks (normally they don't destroy anything even when they trigger) but at least I had replacements (and the gold to afford it). I'm glad I have backups for most of my items, actually. Even if I have to downgrade a bit sometimes I still have basically the same thing, plus or minus some A/D.

Also what's with the quests? Sometimes I get on runs of like 6 in a row and they're almost all terrible. I haven't had to resign one yet, but I got close to giving up on the Morgul. What's the worst thing you've ever gotten quested for? (Not including T'Mana's which don't exist without patching).

--------------------

+Quote Post
Roland
post Jul 3 2019, 07:36 PM
Post #93

Mentor

QUOTE (MythrilZenith @ Jul 1 2019, 08:51 PM) *
Also what's with the quests? Sometimes I get on runs of like 6 in a row and they're almost all terrible. I haven't had to resign one yet, but I got close to giving up on the Morgul. What's the worst thing you've ever gotten quested for? (Not including T'Mana's which don't exist without patching).

Since you first posted about Morguls, I've seen a number of them - usually underneath higher-level Giants.

I recall an especially annoying Violet Fungus quest. I knew exactly where to look for them, but they just weren't showing up.

+Quote Post
MythrilZenith
post Jul 8 2019, 08:34 PM
Post #94

Fighter

Video #44 is up! https://youtu.be/L4WaXcBbVYc

Floor 12 really didn't seem too much worse than floor 11. Then again I probably got lucky with the monsters I ran into. Having static sashes and a well-charged ring of Frost is really helpful for these deeper dives, as I will inevitably run out of SP (especially if I keep hitting teleporters).

I also didn't know that I didn't have any Skeletons in my closet - erm, confinement? Better get on that search.gif

Mage crest is really coming in handy for grabbing some companions to take hits and deal some extra damage as I go deeper, but with how quickly everything dies I don't know if it would really be worth me trying to buy anything or use an OoLD charge. This isn't like back in floor 4 where I could just tame a giant slug and have it survive everything except the flame dragon with hp to spare - now EVERYTHING has some sort of breath weapon, on-hit elemental damage, spell, or other gimmick to kill me, and the things that don't still hit hard. Keeping companions around is hard work, but it's still looking like it might be really beneficial. Maybe once I bottom out with Paralyzing Death's cost I'll switch back to Mage just to save SP on Entrapment. think.gif

--------------------

+Quote Post
fischsemmel
post Jul 11 2019, 01:44 PM
Post #95

Soldier

Member No.: 6,580
referrer:Search engine

So I've read through here some before but never actually watched a video until today, haha. I wanted to see how you play compared to mine, since I know from talking on here that I tend to favor melee guilds and combat more than others, generally, and I use a lot of spell points on heals, and only use spells on nastier groups that'll cost me more to heal after than nuke down (or dangerous groups like a bunch of drainers or stuff that stones, etc).

Like you were using leprosy on the water stuff on dungeon level 6, where I would melee all of that except for 3-4 alligator groups I'd acid spray (leprosy won't reliably kill them for me yet), and melee the 4th group or other survivors. I'm 140ish warrior and scav, but only 70-80 mage and sorcerer, so I have about the same defense you do but without as nice of gear, and stronger combat ability, but much less effective damage spells that cost a ton more.

It looks like we move through the dungeon at about the same speed, though I'm not as deep yet. Earlier today I made just shy of 10 levels (500k exp about) in an hour while doing 2 easyish quests fighting on dungeon levels 5-7, compared to you earning about 80-90k in 10 minutes on floors 6-10.

Maybe I'll get around to making a video to throw up just for the heck of it, though I actually only have played Mordor on my ancient laptop (I think I got it from my parents before going to college, so it is 17ish years old!) that has a bad network card, so I'd have to get Mordor on my newer PC to actually record anything ... laugh.gif.

+Quote Post
MythrilZenith
post Jul 11 2019, 02:45 PM
Post #96

Fighter

QUOTE (fischsemmel @ Jul 11 2019, 07:44 AM) *
Like you were using leprosy on the water stuff on dungeon level 6, where I would melee all of that except for 3-4 alligator groups I'd acid spray (leprosy won't reliably kill them for me yet), and melee the 4th group or other survivors. I'm 140ish warrior and scav, but only 70-80 mage and sorcerer, so I have about the same defense you do but without as nice of gear, and stronger combat ability, but much less effective damage spells that cost a ton more.

It looks like we move through the dungeon at about the same speed, though I'm not as deep yet. Earlier today I made just shy of 10 levels (500k exp about) in an hour while doing 2 easyish quests fighting on dungeon levels 5-7, compared to you earning about 80-90k in 10 minutes on floors 6-10.

I'm probably not playing the most efficient way, but it works for me, so eh?
I also don't have access to Warrior and haven't leveled a ton in Nomad so that's probably why your A/D is going to be so much higher than mine. That said if you watched my most recent video I didn't have all my best gear (esp. my mystic shield) because I was catching up with my Mage guild. Also I'm size Small as an elf so I take 10% more and deal 10% less melee damage to basically everything compared to a size Normal human.

I guess I'm probably earning raw exp faster but levels a lot slower, since as a Human you have the smallest amount of exp per level by a good amount. You played an Osiri before, who has the second most exp per level (and osiri/healer is the highest combined exp requirement for a race/class combo), so you're probably really happy about the faster leveling laugh.gif

I also only play Mordor when I'm either recording or watching another video so my attention is only half on the game most of the time, and I only really play a few hours a week at most. The week where I got 100+ levels of Scavenger in June was a week where I played more Mordor than I had in a long time.

This post has been edited by MythrilZenith: Jul 11 2019, 03:43 PM

--------------------

+Quote Post
fischsemmel
post Jul 11 2019, 05:53 PM
Post #97

Soldier

Member No.: 6,580
referrer:Search engine

QUOTE (MythrilZenith @ Jul 11 2019, 10:45 AM) *
I'm probably not playing the most efficient way, but it works for me, so eh?
I also don't have access to Warrior and haven't leveled a ton in Nomad so that's probably why your A/D is going to be so much higher than mine. That said if you watched my most recent video I didn't have all my best gear (esp. my mystic shield) because I was catching up with my Mage guild. Also I'm size Small as an elf so I take 10% more and deal 10% less melee damage to basically everything compared to a size Normal human.

I guess I'm probably earning raw exp faster but levels a lot slower, since as a Human you have the smallest amount of exp per level by a good amount. You played an Osiri before, who has the second most exp per level (and osiri/healer is the highest combined exp requirement for a race/class combo), so you're probably really happy about the faster leveling laugh.gif

I also only play Mordor when I'm either recording or watching another video so my attention is only half on the game most of the time, and I only really play a few hours a week at most. The week where I got 100+ levels of Scavenger in June was a week where I played more Mordor than I had in a long time.

For sure. I wasn't judging good or bad, just having fun seeing the differences in how people can play. I learned from a few minutes of your video that you can type numbers into the shop to sell items! laugh.gif. I always click and drag!

+Quote Post
MythrilZenith
post Jul 11 2019, 09:32 PM
Post #98

Fighter

QUOTE (fischsemmel @ Jul 11 2019, 11:53 AM) *
For sure. I wasn't judging good or bad, just having fun seeing the differences in how people can play. I learned from a few minutes of your video that you can type numbers into the shop to sell items! laugh.gif. I always click and drag!

Oh definitely. I used to click-drag too until sometime into this video series. I've been discovering a lot of little Mordor life hacks that have made life a lot easier. Hmm, maybe that'd be a good thing to make another Tips & Tricks video on... think.gif

You can also hit Alt + (key) to instantly performed the action associated with the underlined letter. For instance, Alt+S on a shop screen will sell the item in question.

--------------------

+Quote Post
MythrilZenith
post Jul 15 2019, 08:23 PM
Post #99

Fighter

Video part #45 is here: https://youtu.be/43hgnpBmzuI

I'm hitting an annoying wall with leveling... Well, not a "wall" per-se, but I haven't been able to pin consecutive runs as Sorcerer in quite some time, and it's actually getting to the point where I need to take one full run and might not even get enough exp to get a single level! This is what I get for having 160k required between levels. Ah well, at least I'm still lowering the casting cost of PD. Just 4 more points to minimum!

Is there a better place to level that I have access to with level 227 Sorcerer? The lake on 7 just doesn't feel like it's giving me enough exp for my SP anymore, though admittedly it still is a good 50k or so assuming I get a reasonable number of 4-group Crocodile spawns. That said, the lake on 11 doesn't really have many groups I'd consider high-exp (even though they still die to acid spray), and it also has a decent chance of Piranhas, who are worth basically nothing with their 1hp despite coming in swarms of 20+.

This post has been edited by MythrilZenith: Jul 15 2019, 08:23 PM

--------------------

+Quote Post
Roland
post Jul 15 2019, 10:01 PM
Post #100

Mentor

I spent a lot more time on 10 and 12 than I did on 11. The chute from 7 makes for easy to access to 10, and the many 2x2 rooms make for good encounter density (as opposed to 9, with its large rooms making for fewer encounter areas).

+Quote Post

11 Pages V  « < 3 4 5 6 7 > » 
Reply to this topicStart new topic
2 User(s) are reading this topic (2 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 18th November 2019 - 04:54 AM
Bridged By IpbWiki: Integration Of Invision Power Board and MediaWiki © GlobalSoft
Copyrights and Credits