grobblewobble
post Aug 22 2008, 08:16 AM
Post #1

Dungeon Master

Group: Mordor MP Prog
Member No.: 134
referrer:Slimey's site

QUOTE (DarkerMuffin)
I think it would pretty nice to see a nice introductory article to strategic playing styles for newer players.

My personal theory on playing styles is that the major style issue is melee vs magic. The smaller a party is, the more it needs to rely on magic. The larger the party, the more it can rely on melee alone.

I have seen several examples of people with high-level parties, and this seems to be a general trend. A larger party is much stronger in melee, because it can both deal more damage and soak up more damage. Therefore, the total melee power of a party increases quadratically with the number of party members (approximately).

On the other hand, a large party runs into management problems (lots of switching needed), especially for someone who likes spellcasting. If you see a dangerous monster and you would like character 2 to cast spell #4, you have 0.5 seconds to press a lot of buttons in the correct order. Good luck. bleh.gif So that is why a smaller party is actually better at spellcasting.

A solo character is especially dependent on magic. For a solo character, it is a very good idea to be good at charming monsters. Companions can soak up damage and are a life-saver for a solo character in case of paralysis.

I'm not sure if all of this is really helpful for newer players?

--------------------
Fear the Society of the Psychic Tyco
Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post
npsuber
post Aug 22 2008, 10:07 PM
Post #2

Fighter

Group: Members
Member No.: 3,099
referrer:from slimey

QUOTE (grobblewobble @ Aug 22 2008, 01:16 AM) *
A solo character is especially dependent on magic. For a solo character, it is a very good idea to be good at charming monsters. Companions can soak up damage and are a life-saver for a solo character in case of paralysis.

My problem with trying to make that work is their were just never enough spell points. Once you take out all that's used for unlocking containers and healing up, there just isn't much left for combat. And, if you charm some companions, now you got to keep them healed and bound as well.

I guess my problem is I like being able to take longer runs down in the dungeon. Running out of spell points means time to go back to town, so I like having the large parties so my spell points last longer.

+Quote Post
DarkerMuffin
post Aug 25 2008, 06:45 AM
Post #3

Fighter

Group: Members Plus
Member No.: 4,683
referrer:Search engine

QUOTE (DarkerMuffin @ Aug 22 2008, 04:17 AM) *
As a player who would rather minimize the influence of luck (and therefore bad luck), I tend to go with the assured extra defense of a shield over a bonus critical hit rate. This way, while I'm exploring the levels where I can safely one-hit KO most of the monsters with ease, there is little risk of them damaging me. Of course, if I'm on a level where there are many monsters which I cannot defeat as easily, I could take the avenger for the extra critical hit rate. That way, I could avoid taking damage I wouldn't have taken otherwise.

However, seeing as I still haven't gotten to the lowest levels yet, I'm not sure how viable all of this is.

I quoted the above post so that it's in this topic as well. Additionally, I'm going to edit this post later and add more/polish what I said in the quote above, but I'm operating on a limited time frame right now. I've got some stuff written out in a text document for when I do make a post though, so I should hopefully be able to get a post up soon. (Although, I will admit, I am not active here daily.)

Edit: Maybe not as soon as I had thought... My computer has died. wallbash.gif

This post has been edited by DarkerMuffin: Sep 7 2008, 09:23 PM

--------------------
null

+Quote Post
aardless
post Sep 1 2008, 08:42 PM
Post #4

Goblin Shaman at work (used to be: on strike...)

Group: Admin
Member No.: 18
referrer::yahoo:

If you want to minimise the influence of luck I'd do it the other way around. If I can't kill monsters in one swing I want to have the extra defense afforded by a shield. I can only speak for me, but I tend to dive as deep as possible provided I can kill most monsters in one swing. With an Avenger it would mean going (on average) one level deeper than MM+Shield, and thus raking in significantly more experience, at the risk of meeting dangerous monsters (thus greater risk).

@npsuber: how many characters in your party? If you're solo, magic points are at a premium, but with two or three characters it shouldn't be a problem if you make efficient use of your points. Of course sometimes you repeatedly meet the "wrong" monsters and have to flee back to town.

QUOTE (Grobble)
I'm not sure if all of this is really helpful for newer players?
Can't hurt to tell them. tongue.gif And it's very true, the smaller the party the more you have to rely on magic, irrespective if it comes from joined guilds or items.

--------------------
If money doesn't grow on trees, why is it that banks have branches? - sig of a guy on a chinese forum

Most off-topic topics are off-topic - fart642000

+Quote Post
npsuber
post Sep 1 2008, 09:24 PM
Post #5

Fighter

@npsuber: how many characters in your party? If you're solo, magic points are at a premium, but with two or three characters it shouldn't be a problem if you make efficient use of your points. Of course sometimes you repeatedly meet the "wrong" monsters and have to flee back to town.

I've played both ways. That was my point, but I guess I didn't make it very well. When I first started, I tried the solo route. But, I just didn't have enough magic to do all I wanted to do. So, I went to the other extreme: a 4 character party. Now it's rare for me to run out of mana.

+Quote Post
BarkingDog
post Sep 2 2008, 01:32 AM
Post #6

Journeyman

Member No.: 3,527
referrer:Looking for Slimey's on Yahoo

Interestingly, I play a 4 person party, (and for the most part have always played 4 person party) and find that I still run out of magic really really quickly. I have a high level Giant Warrior who also is a high enough level Seeker to teleport me down 4 times (4, 7, 10, 13) and up 4 times. I have a Warrior Dwarf who also has decent amounts of healer guild and seeker guild, and he basically heals the party and soul searches and displaces when my thief goes astray. I have a high level Thief/Healer, and I find I want to use all her spell points on Word of Deathing everything. I have to save some for Charm of Opening though. I have a moderate level Paladin/Socerer and she wants to Electric Field everything, but often has to resort to Acidic Spraying everything, and sometimes she is called upon to heal if needs be.

I think one thing I am very poor at, though, is using items in this game. I forgot to mention that my Dwarf also has some sorceror levels so he casts all the resistances on my party. I find using crystals and other items kind of tedious -- you have to switch windows etc. Is there a fast way to use items?

My playing style is also kind of conservative, but rash. I like to go around killing monsters quickly, but I dont like to die. Maybe in some instances where others would simple hack it out in melee I decide to Word of Death it. I have found, though, in Mordor you just cant get enough magic.

--------------------
ALriGht!!!

+Quote Post
npsuber
post Sep 2 2008, 03:04 AM
Post #7

Fighter

Well, first I should say that I tend to use a melee strategy except for the monsters that are just too tough to duke it out. All my characters are leveled in one fighting and one spellcasting guild. That being said, the only character who I have to keep recharging the mana on is the Healer. But, I have no problem doing that, since I take advantage of the Fate spell. Any container that my Thief identifies as having a Fate trap is saved for the Healer. When my Healer runs low on mana, I have her go open the container. Since she has very low thieving ability, she usually trips the trap, which means a random reset of her hit and spell points. Since I only do this when she's already low on mana, she can only get points added. Between that and the relative abundance of Magic Dust on Level 15, means I don't have to worry about the scarcity of the Tomes and Scrolls of Spells.

+Quote Post
grobblewobble
post Sep 2 2008, 07:09 AM
Post #8

Dungeon Master

QUOTE (BarkingDog @ Sep 2 2008, 03:32 AM) *
I find using crystals and other items kind of tedious -- you have to switch windows etc. Is there a fast way to use items?

Yes. You can drop and drag items into your buffer window and cast from the buffer. I don't use crystals myself, either - but I love my RoD & RoE (call me cheap bleh.gif ).

Interesting to hear you rely on magic this much. I guess it depends on it how deep you go, and how soon.

My current party consists of 4 warriors (now at level 180) and they still don't go below 12 (I am too scared of all the drainers on 13). With a more aggressive approach one probably needs more blasting.

--------------------

+Quote Post
aardless
post Sep 2 2008, 06:42 PM
Post #9

Goblin Shaman at work (used to be: on strike...)

Group: Admin
Member No.: 18
referrer::yahoo:

I have a high level Giant Warrior who also is a high enough level Seeker to teleport me down 4 times (4, 7, 10, 13) and up 4 times.
Bad idea ™. I believe it was AJ who clocked her descent to level 15 at a whopping 28 seconds, I doubt you can do it quicker by using just teleports. Teleporting down is not only a waste of perfetly good mana, but you also cut yourself from a number of lairs that drop interesting/useful items even for a high level character. Of course, if you do visit lairs then the route down takes longer, so it may not be worth your while, depending on your time frame.
I have a high level Thief/Healer, and I find I want to use all her spell points on Word of Deathing everything.

laugh.gif
I have to save some for Charm of Opening though. I have a moderate level Paladin/Socerer and she wants to Electric Field everything, but often has to resort to Acidic Spraying everything
laugh.gif
I think one thing I am very poor at, though, is using items in this game. I forgot to mention that my Dwarf also has some sorceror levels so he casts all the resistances on my party. I find using crystals and other items kind of tedious -- you have to switch windows etc. Is there a fast way to use items?

My playing style is also kind of conservative, but rash. I like to go around killing monsters quickly, but I dont like to die. Maybe in some instances where others would simple hack it out in melee I decide to Word of Death it. I have found, though, in Mordor you just cant get enough magic.
Well, the logical conclusion would be that you should try to rein in your urges to blast everything with spells. wink.gif The game is set up in such a way that you can't WoD everything, and thus you should reserve it for those situations that require it. If you have to use spells, try using items more.

@npsuber: relative abundance? You're lucky, I haven't found any at all. dry.gif Considering I've never found a Dragon Blood either (and not for want of trying), the random number generator on my computer must suck atrociously.

--------------------
If money doesn't grow on trees, why is it that banks have branches? - sig of a guy on a chinese forum

Most off-topic topics are off-topic - fart642000

+Quote Post
Mordechái
post Sep 2 2008, 07:21 PM
Post #10

Explorer

Member No.: 1,462
referrer:Chance

I prefer meleeing in a party of 4(?), with the big-boy spell damage coming from really high-level items (helm of brilliance, etc). the highest spellcaster i have is a 150ish mage, whos also a pretty beefy ninja. once ive cast all the resistances, i find its the only method of sticking around in the dungeon long enough

+Quote Post
BarkingDog
post Sep 2 2008, 10:15 PM
Post #11

Journeyman

Member No.: 3,527
referrer:Looking for Slimey's on Yahoo

Yes, probably I just need to rein in my desire to blast everything happy.gif

I love it though, when I come across a group of like 12 or 15 monsters and kill them all with one spell!

I will have to reconsider my teleporting, especially on the way down. I have sort of 'skipped' over certain levels, especially 11, 12 and 9. The amount of time I have spent playing this game, I really should know where all the teleporters go to. Probably I still have lingering phobias about teleports from when I was first mapping out the Dunegeon; to hit a teleport then almost always meant death. happy.gif

--------------------
ALriGht!!!

+Quote Post
npsuber
post Sep 3 2008, 01:12 AM
Post #12

Fighter

@aardless: I've found 42 of them so far; with 3 charges on each one, that's a lot of Fate at my disposal. I never paid much attention to who was dropping them, since I get so many. My library says I got the last one from a Gorgon. I've also found 49 Elixrs of Fate and 12 Dylan's Groans, but those are only one charge each. But many times, the Fate traps get me through without even having to touch my reserves.

+Quote Post
grobblewobble
post Sep 3 2008, 07:28 AM
Post #13

Dungeon Master

A word of caution on using Fate. I recall a story by Nudibranch how one of his characters died by casting fate while poisened.. happy.gif

--------------------

+Quote Post

Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 20th September 2020 - 11:33 PM
Bridged By IpbWiki: Integration Of Invision Power Board and MediaWiki © GlobalSoft
Copyrights and Credits