IPB

Welcome Guest ( Log In | Register )

9 Pages V  « < 7 8 9  
Reply to this topicStart new topic
> Recording a Mordor run - solo good elf!
fischsemmel
post Sep 12 2019, 05:53 PM
Post #161

Fighter

Group: Members Plus
Member No.: 6,580
referrer:Search engine

QUOTE (MythrilZenith @ Sep 12 2019, 12:25 PM) *
ESPECIALLY IF SHE SPAWNS PEACED OMG

Do you have much luck hitting a fast-casting spell then EF before the former actually casts? I can get it to work about 3/4 of the time or maybe a bit better.
Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post
Roland
post Sep 12 2019, 08:36 PM
Post #162

Soldier

Member No.: 8,408
referrer:Google

QUOTE (fischsemmel @ Sep 12 2019, 01:53 PM) *
Do you have much luck hitting a fast-casting spell then EF before the former actually casts? I can get it to work about 3/4 of the time or maybe a bit better.

I often hit buffer 5 (Dazzle) and then immediately hit buffer 4 (Soul Entrapment) to charm peaced monsters. I can't remember the last time it failed.

+Quote Post
MythrilZenith
post Sep 12 2019, 09:19 PM
Post #163

Voyager

Member No.: 6,867
referrer:A google-search for Mordor: Depths of Dejenol maps led me here!

QUOTE (fischsemmel @ Sep 12 2019, 11:53 AM) *

I don't know if it's because I'm running in Windows inside Dosbox that the emulation buffering prevents it or what, but I've *never* been able to get that to work. Is there a faster way to use buffers? I always just use shift + the number key.
And does it matter if it's buffered from an item or from an actual spell? Like, if I'm casting Static Mesh from a static sash and trying to switch to EF, will that be different than if I cast SM from a spell buffer and then replace with EF?

The timing is also unspecific. Sometimes things happen gosh-dang IMMEDIATELY when I press the key vs a peaced mob, other times it gives me half a second to think about it, but either way I have a hard time actually getting any sort of shift active. Heck, I sometimes have issues changing my action between combat rounds - I push 3-4 times on the 'F'ight key whenever I'm changing from a buffer, and whenever I cast from a buffer I sometimes have to push it twice to get it to work - which then means sometimes I switch attack groups instead of spells if it doesn't register my Shift input.

Needless to say, peaced mobs are the bane of my existence as a Good-aligned character who relies on their high-level spells to kill anything remotely tough. I've only run into one Griffin in my life, but that was pretty nerve-wracking as I knew I'd need to survive an entire round of combat before being able to unleash a Paralyzing Death on all those mundragons.

This post has been edited by MythrilZenith: Sep 12 2019, 09:26 PM

--------------------
Just an average nomad trying to figure out how Mordor really works.

I've also taken the liberty of recording some videos of Mordor: Depths of Dejenol!

Classics are classic, but never mistake nostalgia for superiority. When older is better, it's because it truly is, not just because our perception of it makes it so.

+Quote Post
fischsemmel
post Sep 12 2019, 10:05 PM
Post #164

Fighter

Member No.: 6,580
referrer:Search engine

I use buffer slots and/or u key for highlighted item, but am playing in Vista (somehow it works with no shenanigans).

The delay may be because of peaced vs hostile. If you enter a room against a hostile creature, you have like half a second or so (?) to select or even change options before it resolves. If you enter against a peaced monster, it's a lot faster (to the point where pressing F instantly happens). But with my setup I still can use shift+X to "aggro" a peaced monster with like leprosy then switch with shift+y to word of death kr whatever.

On a related note, I had a bug with the game once when I came out of sleep mode with the game still open where it played at like tripke speed. laugh.gif. It was fun while it lasted cause solo melee resolution went by really fast!

This post has been edited by fischsemmel: Sep 12 2019, 10:06 PM

+Quote Post
Roland
post Sep 12 2019, 11:09 PM
Post #165

Soldier

Member No.: 8,408
referrer:Google

I run Mordor under Windows XP. I only use that machine for gaming and image storage - I turned off the wifi a few years ago.

I have sometimes experienced the triple-speed melee resolution. It really speeds up those Giant Crocodile encounters!

+Quote Post
korexus
post Sep 14 2019, 12:05 AM
Post #166

Voyager

Member No.: 4,011
referrer:Google Search

QUOTE (fischsemmel @ Sep 12 2019, 11:05 PM) *
On a related note, I had a bug with the game once when I came out of sleep mode with the game still open where it played at like tripke speed. laugh.gif. It was fun while it lasted cause solo melee resolution went by really fast!

Not strictly speaking a bug with the game, more an artifact of CPU clocks.

If a machine detects that it's clock is a bit behind, rather than just adjusting the time (which can cause all sorts of bugs in badly written software) it speeds up its clock until it has caught up. This means that anything which is relying on clock ticks to make events happen will trigger them more frequently until the clock has caught up (avoiding aforementioned bugs) but looks very odd if you're watching it.

It's usually seen when a paused VM is restarted, but it could happen coming out of sleep mode I guess. The behaviour varies depending on how big the time lag is, so it would be tricky to trigger this effect to speed up encounters without wasting an equivalent amount of time pausing the machine.

korexus.

+Quote Post

9 Pages V  « < 7 8 9
Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 17th September 2019 - 03:24 AM
Bridged By IpbWiki: Integration Of Invision Power Board and MediaWiki © GlobalSoft
Copyrights and Credits