> Search Engine Blues
npsuber
post Aug 17 2008, 11:59 PM
Post #1

Fighter

Group: Members
Member No.: 3,099
referrer:from slimey

I have been trying to find a previous discussion on some of the variables use in Wabbit's Editor. So, I tried using the search engine for 'U11'. However, the search engine refuses to search for terms that are less than 4 characters. So, I tried 'U11*' and 'U11 '. But, no joy! It's on to my tricks and still refuses to conduct the search. I wish that limitation would be lifted.

While I'm in my complaint mode, here's one other thing I noticed in the archives: The posts using the old style of spoilers, where you have to click to reveal the spoiler, have the spoiler permanently hidden. Clicking does nothing. The only way to see what it hidden is to view the page's source, which is a real PITA.

Now that I've got my whining out of the way, let me finish on a positive note and say how much I enjoy the site overall. I just want to see it even better! ok.gif
Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post
aardless
post Aug 18 2008, 01:39 PM
Post #2

Goblin Shaman at work (used to be: on strike...)

Group: Admin
Member No.: 18
referrer::yahoo:

Yeah, the limit is probably designed to avoid silly searches like "the", but I've had to resort to some creative thinking more than once to sidestep it. rolleyes.gif In particular I've had to search for Elf and Orc and adding a space at the end is no good. dry.gif Basically wracking my brains to remember what the discussion was about so I could find Elf, so I could remember what the disussion was about; aka vicious circle. tongue.gif I'm not entirely sure it can be changed though.

--------------------
If money doesn't grow on trees, why is it that banks have branches? - sig of a guy on a chinese forum

Most off-topic topics are off-topic - fart642000

+Quote Post
zahmees
post Aug 18 2008, 06:27 PM
Post #3

Dungeon Master

Group: Mordor MP
From: "'Ello L.A.!" he hinted while munching on his cheesey comestibles.
Member No.: 642
referrer:Dalyn and Kazildapek's Mordor Referrer's and Pulsing Blue Brain Acquisitions LLC.

QUOTE (aardless @ Aug 18 2008, 06:39 AM) *
Yeah, the limit is probably designed to avoid silly searches like "the", but I've had to resort to some creative thinking more than once to sidestep it. rolleyes.gif In particular I've had to search for Elf and Orc and adding a space at the end is no good. dry.gif Basically wracking my brains to remember what the discussion was about so I could find Elf, so I could remember what the disussion was about; aka vicious circle. tongue.gif I'm not entirely sure it can be changed though.

Yup. I'm finding the same thing when I look for any posts about a critter or item I'm going to write a description for. Very frustrating...but being the well formed and copiously balanced adult and world citizen that I am...I get over it...sometimes.... cool.gif

--------------------
What a friggin Monday huh?
I HATE Mondays.
In a way that has been heretofore unforeseen by civilized man in this age or the next.
What shall we, as responsible citizens searching for our boggle, let forth our raging commentary about this?
Yea, verily.
Mondays are here now.
Perhaps in the past Mondays were called by another name...like "Leg" or Ripseysnot" or "Borkfruitfullness" or "Cosmopolitan" or other such nomenclature.
But here in the uncharted present they are known simply as "Monday".
And they carry as fetid an odor today as they did in forgotten and unforeseen millenniums past.
Indeed.

-TL

+Quote Post
npsuber
post Aug 19 2008, 03:54 AM
Post #4

Fighter

Group: Members
Member No.: 3,099
referrer:from slimey

QUOTE (aardless @ Aug 18 2008, 06:39 AM) *
Yeah, the limit is probably designed to avoid silly searches like "the", but I've had to resort to some creative thinking more than once to sidestep it.

But why would that even matter? I just did a search for "the" at Google: "Results 1 - 10 of about 16,090,000,000 for the. (0.22 seconds)". So I do a stupid search, Google grinds out the useless result, life goes on... So what?

+Quote Post

Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 19th November 2019 - 01:15 AM
Bridged By IpbWiki: Integration Of Invision Power Board and MediaWiki © GlobalSoft
Copyrights and Credits