IPB

Welcome Guest ( Log In | Register )

Reply to this topicStart new topic
> Endurance Alpha, Mordor like game for Windows, Mac, and Web (and maybe iOS?)
dwest
post Aug 10 2015, 01:00 PM
Post #1

Journeyman

Group: Members Plus
Member No.: 5,469
referrer:friend

Hey Guys,

Thought I'd start a new thread for a game I've been working on. It started out as a Mordor clone (at one point you could pretty much play through the classic Mordor with it), but now I'm replacing the assets and developing it into it's own game.

I've set up an Indie DB page which I've linked to here where I'll be posting on the development process and releasing updates as often as I can.

Windows builds will uploaded to Indie DB semi regulary, but you can always find the latest web release at www.storybookgames.com/endurance/EnduranceWeb.html which will work in most browsers (except Chrome unfortunately sad.gif)

My hope is to have a working beta with 3 levels up and running by the end of the month.

As always feedback is welcome. This is still alpha, which means there's quite a bit that's broken or missing. That being said you should be able to get a party up and running and do a little adventuring smile.gif

-Matthew
Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post
i_love_rush_and_...
post Aug 10 2015, 03:50 PM
Post #2

Fighter

Member No.: 7,124
referrer:slimeys

the game caused my browser to freeze just by trying to load the unity player

--------------------
just so you know its me, kingkirki49

Ich kann drei prozent auf deustch sprechen.

my famous mordor saying

Zeige mir, oh Lehrer. Derjenige, der Magie tut, ist töricht aber der Krieger ist stark. Der Dieb stiehlt , aber der Heiler gibt. Der Suchende sucht, aber der Hexenmeister sieht. Der Magier bezaubert, aber die Zauberer bläst. Der Nomade reist, aber der Bösewicht ist böse. Der Paladin tötet Drachen und der Ninja schleicht. Und der Scavenger? Er sucht nach Nahrung und Gold.

(translated)

Teach me, O teacher. The one who does magic is foolish, but the warrior is strong. The thief steals, but the healer gives. The seeker seeks, but the wizard sees. The mage charms, but the Sorcerer blasts. The nomad travels, but the villain is evil. The paladin kills dragons and the ninja creeps. And the scavenger? He searches for food and gold.

+Quote Post
dwest
post Aug 10 2015, 03:59 PM
Post #3

Journeyman

QUOTE (i_love_rush_and_ledzepp @ Aug 10 2015, 04:50 PM) *
the game caused my browser to freeze just by trying to load the unity player

Oh man, sorry about that. What browser are you using, and which OS?

+Quote Post
i_love_rush_and_...
post Aug 10 2015, 04:25 PM
Post #4

Fighter

QUOTE (dwest @ Aug 10 2015, 11:59 AM) *
Oh man, sorry about that. What browser are you using, and which OS?

Windows xp

Firefox

--------------------

my famous mordor saying

Zeige mir, oh Lehrer. Derjenige, der Magie tut, ist töricht aber der Krieger ist stark. Der Dieb stiehlt , aber der Heiler gibt. Der Suchende sucht, aber der Hexenmeister sieht. Der Magier bezaubert, aber die Zauberer bläst. Der Nomade reist, aber der Bösewicht ist böse. Der Paladin tötet Drachen und der Ninja schleicht. Und der Scavenger? Er sucht nach Nahrung und Gold.

(translated)

Teach me, O teacher. The one who does magic is foolish, but the warrior is strong. The thief steals, but the healer gives. The seeker seeks, but the wizard sees. The mage charms, but the Sorcerer blasts. The nomad travels, but the villain is evil. The paladin kills dragons and the ninja creeps. And the scavenger? He searches for food and gold.

+Quote Post
dwest
post Aug 20 2015, 03:53 AM
Post #5

Journeyman

Thought you guys might like this smile.gif

+Quote Post
i_love_rush_and_...
post Aug 25 2015, 11:31 PM
Post #6

Fighter

awesome

--------------------

my famous mordor saying

(translated)

+Quote Post
ghezra
post Aug 26 2015, 11:53 PM
Post #7

Student

Group: Members
Member No.: 6,733
referrer:Other forums (Bay 12 games)

It plays pretty well.

Please, please keep this up. Haha

I will try to bring the peoples. If you keep building it, they will come.

+Quote Post
dwest
post Aug 27 2015, 04:08 PM
Post #8

Journeyman

QUOTE (ghezra @ Aug 27 2015, 12:53 AM) *
It plays pretty well.

Please, please keep this up. Haha

I will try to bring the peoples. If you keep building it, they will come.

Thanks man,
I'm going to release a beta this weekend. It'll be downloadable at http://indiedb.com/games/endurance, and should be playable all the way through to level 3.
Been getting some good interest so far. Was ranked 26th on IndieDB at one point there.
-Dwest.

+Quote Post
dwest
post Sep 4 2015, 01:15 AM
Post #9

Journeyman

Hi Guys,

Just wanted to let you all know I've released my game, Endurance, into beta.

The first 3 maps should be playable now.

If you try it out let me know what you think at admin[at]playendurance.com.

You can download it here, or play it in your browser here

DevLog | Twitter | Youtube

+Quote Post
Mufti999
post Sep 14 2015, 07:00 AM
Post #10

Journeyman

Member No.: 6,567
referrer:Internet

Great beta version. Looks very promising. I sent you a mail with comments about it on your admin adress. Kind regards,

+Quote Post
dwest
post Oct 4 2015, 10:43 AM
Post #11

Journeyman

QUOTE (Mufti999 @ Sep 14 2015, 07:00 AM) *
Great beta version. Looks very promising. I sent you a mail with comments about it on your admin adress. Kind regards,

Thanks Mufti, I don't think I saw the email through? What address did you send it to?

+Quote Post
Relea
post Oct 16 2015, 06:11 PM
Post #12

Student

Member No.: 6,441
referrer:google

Very, very nice! Keep up the good work!

Critics:
The dungeon highly distracts from the fight. I would say: make that monster screen much bigger!
Dungeon map screen too.
And you are not blocked in any way, when you encounter a monster.

But keep it up, it looks awesome!

+Quote Post
igorb
post Nov 3 2015, 12:29 AM
Post #13

Journeyman

Member No.: 3,657
referrer:Google

Looks nice! I've been playing for a few minutes but I keep getting this message when openeing chests. But, not always. Let's say every fifth or sixth chest. THe message was: "An error occured running the Unity content on this page. See your browser's JavaScript console for more info. The error was:Error: invalid or out-of-range index". The game is then frozen and I have to refresh the page.

+Quote Post
Painbringer
post Nov 4 2016, 02:33 PM
Post #14

Adventurer

Member No.: 373
referrer:lot of search

Been a year since the last reply. Any news?

--------------------
Stranger, go back to Sparta and tell our people that we who were slain obeyed the code.

+Quote Post
Downloader
post Aug 12 2017, 02:53 PM
Post #15

Student

Member No.: 6,723
referrer:Searching Mordor 2 The Darkness Awakeing trought net

It's like the guy died.
Why would he just drop out on project he has been working for 2 years? And he said he would update it at the end of august when he posted...
There were like 5-6 projects that tried to bring this game to life as a clone and they all died miserably. I blame proprietary code, if they released the source I'm sure someone would be willing to keep project alive...I guess they are all in it for the money sad.gif

+Quote Post
cybertim
post Sep 12 2017, 10:07 AM
Post #16

Student

Member No.: 6,523

I can shed a light on the reason..

I've been trying to create a 'Mordor' clone for years now. But lately it has been more of an Avatar/Wizardy/Demon Gaze/Shin Megami Tensei/Class of Heroes etc..'clone'.
Or.. more a hobby to make the 'engine' of such a complex mechanics.

The reasoning for never actually finishing a Mordor-clone GAME has to do with the following complexities of such an project:

1) Mordor itself is quite 'complex' lots of spells /skills/guilds / monster / item combinations, if you start a 'simple mordor clone' by the looks, you suddenly get swallowed by the amount of data-complexity as a programmer.

2) If you survive this, and created the foundations, you will probably end up with tons of Data you need to add/manage.. to do this efficient you will need LOTS of toolings.. not only for the DATA but also for the MAPS.. so a GUI-tool as well. This takes a lot of effort.

3) All done? You are probably already busy for a year.. if you still didn't lose interest (or started over because you missed some complexity in step (1) you will need to make this into a 'game'.. will it be 3D or WebBased or ASCII or... Mobile.. Desktop.. Windows only, Mac/Linux ... etc..?

4) You've chosen your platform.. probably Unity.. now you need LOTS of assets.. LOTS of GUI element and lots of game-play mechanics 3D related stuff.. this will take years if you are alone.. you will lose interest because of the grind.. (this is where this current project probably ended)

Mordor XP was also lost somewhere in this process.

It surprises me David Allen completed the first one, but he used Visual Basic, and there is no real 'gameplay' in the first, it was an approachable excel-engine which in the end worked surprisingly well.
And he also commented on the fact that he outsourced some things like the art-work and such.

For myself, this time i'm trying to actually finish a toned-down version which is at least playable. Probably as excel-ish as mordor 1, but at least there will be something ;-) *fingerscrossed*

+Quote Post
Roland
post Sep 12 2017, 09:18 PM
Post #17

Soldier

Member No.: 8,408
referrer:Google

That would all be too much for one person. That's why you need a team - and the ability to pass the baton to fresh recruits when the original team gets burned out. Proprietary code makes that harder.

+Quote Post
cybertim
post Sep 13 2017, 01:10 PM
Post #18

Student

QUOTE (Roland @ Sep 12 2017, 11:18 PM) *
That would all be too much for one person. That's why you need a team - and the ability to pass the baton to fresh recruits when the original team gets burned out. Proprietary code makes that harder.

That is true, there have been some open-sourced code-bases, like one that died at 'step 2' I saved recently from the dying code.google by copying it to github .
I also searched for a project I build 4+ years ago for android (but never released it, it died at step 4) so I could release it on github as well, but sadly I can't find any trace of it (didn't use proper backups back then).

Hopefully the creator of Endurace will also release at least the 'back-end' of the Unity project, or the 'previous' one he was talking about (which worked like mordor1, sounds interesting) after a while?
Who knows.

Also, why has Mordor XP never been opened up. I mean, what is there to lose by now ...

+Quote Post
Downloader
post Sep 27 2017, 06:16 PM
Post #19

Student

Member No.: 6,723
referrer:Searching Mordor 2 The Darkness Awakeing trought net

QUOTE (cybertim @ Sep 12 2017, 11:07 AM) *
I can shed a light on the reason..
I've been trying to create a 'Mordor' clone for years now. But lately it has been more of an Avatar/Wizardy/Demon Gaze/Shin Megami Tensei/Class of Heroes etc..'clone'.
Or.. more a hobby to make the 'engine' of such a complex mechanics.
The reasoning for never actually finishing a Mordor-clone GAME has to do with the following complexities of such an project:
1) Mordor itself is quite ..............

Hmm I think I could pull it off, I'll just scrap the fancy graphics and make it avatar based with 2D dungeon map. Then I'll choose android to justify low graphics.

And yes data is a pain in the ass, even if you did manage to copy some original data from monsters/items etc there would be tons of those objects whose data is not known and you would have to manually go trough original code which I'm pretty sure is illegal. So the main problem that gives headache is to make it balanced and create your own stat system with your own formulas. Just this will take ages.

This post has been edited by Downloader: Sep 27 2017, 06:17 PM

+Quote Post
cybertim
post Sep 29 2017, 11:57 AM
Post #20

Student

QUOTE (Downloader @ Sep 27 2017, 08:16 PM) *
Hmm I think I could pull it off, I'll just scrap the fancy graphics and make it avatar based with 2D dungeon map. Then I'll choose android to justify low graphics.

And yes data is a pain in the ass, even if you did manage to copy some original data from monsters/items etc there would be tons of those objects whose data is not known and you would have to manually go trough original code which I'm pretty sure is illegal. So the main problem that gives headache is to make it balanced and create your own stat system with your own formulas. Just this will take ages.

And you already see some 'mordor based' games in the app stores, but they all lack the depth of Mordor/Avatar because of this. Even if the scraped all the grfx and dumped it on mobile.

Also, if you pull it of with all the formulas/balancing etc. you've got yourself a nice steady engine on which you can create a whole bunch of 'in depth' rpg games.
(hence the dragon quest / etrian odyssey etc. series, they all use the same engine in the backend).

But it will take.. ages.. I guess. And in this time and age you will be distracted before you know it.
Maybe when the first batch of developers from the mordor-age retire they will find the time to create an actual clone :-)

This will probably take only another 10-20 years tho, but I can wait.

+Quote Post

Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 24th July 2019 - 05:53 AM
Bridged By IpbWiki: Integration Of Invision Power Board and MediaWiki © GlobalSoft
Copyrights and Credits