IPB

Welcome Guest ( Log In | Register )

2 Pages V  < 1 2  
Reply to this topicStart new topic
> Committing to finally "finishing" Mordor!
Nudibranch
post May 31 2019, 04:05 AM
Post #21

Fire Master

Group: Mordor MP Prog
Member No.: 71
referrer:search

The correct answer to everything is "bring your thief levels up". bleh.gif

--------------------
I would have started with lasers. Eight o'clock. Day one.
Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post
grumpsey
post May 31 2019, 06:02 AM
Post #22

Journeyman

Group: Members Plus
Member No.: 8,723
referrer:Google

Haha, fair enough, thieving it is! Just wanted to quickly put in that I finally found my first Dragons Blood! Grumpsey is 44 after the 6000 days to find from earlier so that will help take care of that!

+Quote Post
grumpsey
post Jun 17 2019, 05:57 AM
Post #23

Journeyman

ok.gif ok.gif ok.gif ok.gif

It... Is... Done....

Asmo has finally, after 20+ years of evading his fate, been slain.

---
Grumpsey, Druwid and Seeka were grinding out the lake on 15 hoping for some unique items when they decided to poke their head in to a stud room for a quick peek on the way back to town. They had been doing this regularly of late, a nasty habit developed when Seeka (who had run ahead of the party in xp), decided he was fed up of Grumpsey fumbling teleport traps and having to be whisked out of harms way. "Let's just have a peek" he said, looking back at the small, uncertain stature of Grumpsey. Grumpsey of course having stunted growth from years leveling as a nomad before finding his passion as a thief. "yeaa... I guess, Yea OK lets DO IT!" Druwid stammered, stepping in front of Grumpsey in a protective stance. Now heading towards 300 warrior, she talked a good talk, but lacked some key upgrades that seeker had snatched out from under her. Grumpsey sighed, and moved beside the door, ready for a quick retreat.

Seeka slammed the door down with his foot, darkness swallowed the doorway as he slid into the room, only to be smashed to one side by an age attack, catching him in the side. Druwid stepped through to deflect the next attack, but she was swarmed by a host of devils, over running her as she screamed "GET OUT!". Grumpsey quickly scanned the room, inside was an enormous screeching demon, darkness swirling from his arms, a demon the likes of which he had never seen. "It's You" he whispered, as he slipped in snatching Druwids belt and using the momentum to fling her back out the door. Seeka managed to get to his feet, his body shimmering as his Seeker instincts moved him around the next blow. He was out the door quicker than a warrior should be able to move, blood gushing down a wound in his side, as Grumpsey slammed the door behind them and wedged his spare Vampire Fang in the rusting dead bolt clinging to the rotting wood.

"It's... It's... We have to get back to town" Seeka stammered, still trying to steady himself against the wall. "Let them know his real, HIS REAL, and his POWERFUL! Druwid gasped, pointing at the door, "too powerful..". The room fell silent as they turned to look at Grumpsey. He was already taking a tome of spells out of his pack, placing it down beside his spare blade. He stood and turned to face them, an expression part smile, part glare seemed to darken the walls around him. "Time to Die, Asmo" he chuckled as he slammed the vampire fang out of the deadbolt and disappeared back into the darkness.
---

Seeka and druwid both died on the first entry, luckily it was a weird delayed death and seeka's body ended up being outside the room, so could raise him, pop in and grab druwid, and start preparing for the fight. I decided not to go back to town and change grumpsey back to nomad for his high AD set - just to go for it.
2 Spell Tomes and 1 fate elixir later, 3 deaths from Grumpsey and 2 from druwid, about 15 years in age, and the mighty Asmo finally fell to the onslaught. I just couldn't go back to town after seeing him, I had prepared everyone with crystals, cubes, elixirs, spell tomes etc for prolonged dungeon depths, but never really used them, up to now.

It definitely was a battle, Asmo didn't disappoint! I have a screenshot of the victory but won't post in case its a spoiler.

Thank you everyone for your support, help and guidance!

Party Summary:

Seeka Giant:
295 Warrior
97 Seeker
HP 783
A/D 415/435

Druwid:
237 Warrior
111 Sorc
34 Healer
HP 609
A/D 394/416

Grumspey:
197 Nomad
179 Thief
33 Healer
HP 340
A/D 345/365

Time for a bit of a break from Mordor now though, just to keep the excitement alive, but I don't think this is the last of my delving days smile.gif Maybe its time to try Demise! biggrin.gif

+Quote Post
Nudibranch
post Jun 17 2019, 02:27 PM
Post #24

Fire Master

Nice work!

You're a more foolhardy braver man than most dungeon delvers, which is to say most players carefully avoid deaths, but you... court it. Yours is probably the better approach, though, since dying only sounds bad in Mordor. bleh.gif

Seeka's delayed death is because monsters get a last attack when you exit a room. If you die from the attack, you die outside the room.

--------------------

+Quote Post
MythrilZenith
post Jun 17 2019, 07:30 PM
Post #25

Fighter

Member No.: 6,867
referrer:A google-search for Mordor: Depths of Dejenol maps led me here!

Wow, congrats! My recent solo-ing escapades in Mordor have sort of twisted my expectations for how deep characters can survive - my lone elf is much higher level than any of your 3 characters (except your giant) but is still just now hitting floor 10.

You really blitzed this game. In all my years of playing a game that's about as old as I am, the deepest I've ever gotten is floor 11, where my party hit a random teleporter in the ocean and got split up and all died alone, which kind of reduced my enthusiasm for the game for a bit. Still, it's good to see that the game CAN be beaten. Maybe there's hope for me yet laugh.gif.

This post has been edited by MythrilZenith: Jun 17 2019, 07:31 PM

--------------------
Just an average nomad trying to figure out how Mordor really works.

I've also taken the liberty of recording some videos of Mordor: Depths of Dejenol!

Classics are classic, but never mistake nostalgia for superiority. When older is better, it's because it truly is, not just because our perception of it makes it so.

+Quote Post
Roland
post Jun 17 2019, 08:23 PM
Post #26

Mentor

Member No.: 8,408

Congrats! How did you manage to wipe out Asmo and all those Flame Devils without a high-level spellcaster?

+Quote Post
grumpsey
post Jun 18 2019, 12:06 AM
Post #27

Journeyman

QUOTE (MythrilZenith @ Jun 18 2019, 05:30 AM) *
Wow, congrats! My recent solo-ing escapades in Mordor have sort of twisted my expectations for how deep characters can survive - my lone elf is much higher level than any of your 3 characters (except your giant) but is still just now hitting floor 10.

You really blitzed this game. In all my years of playing a game that's about as old as I am, the deepest I've ever gotten is floor 11, where my party hit a random teleporter in the ocean and got split up and all died alone, which kind of reduced my enthusiasm for the game for a bit. Still, it's good to see that the game CAN be beaten. Maybe there's hope for me yet laugh.gif.

Thanks Mythiril! Your youtube vids are great, keep them up! I can see how solo would be quite a lot harder to manage, as there started to be more and more encounters where it helps a LOT to spread the damage through the party (thinking gargantuans, eagles, lamurian guards etc.), not to mention having so much more SP to stay down longer. I think if you can survive 11, you are pretty close to 13 where you start to get some really nice upgrades and the A/D takes off again and it starts to get really exciting as you see a lot of new monster types / encounters. You can "feel" the tension as you get closer to 15 though! which is awesome. Keep trucking mate you will get there!

QUOTE (Roland @ Jun 18 2019, 06:23 AM) *
Congrats! How did you manage to wipe out Asmo and all those Flame Devils without a high-level spellcaster?

Thanks Roland, I had Seeka and Grumpsey buffer Magenta Sashes and druwid Paralyzing Death. Didn't see if the first sash affected them as I am pretty sure the PD did most of it. Only took one round to clear them all out and pop back out leaving just asmo. Then I just switched everyone to melee and took him down front on. (Figured the 15 heals every PD cast was worth the trade off). Took probably... 10 or so pop ins to drop him, healing up each time (not including quickly running in and out to pick up someone who died).

Curse me, I was already thinking of doing a Legacy Duo next and retiring this party to rescue status... :S Too addictive! Is demise worth trying instead for a new challenge??? I gave it a few hours once but just didn't draw me in like M1. Might need to get more in to it.

+Quote Post
grumpsey
post Jun 18 2019, 12:08 AM
Post #28

Journeyman

QUOTE (Roland @ Jun 18 2019, 06:23 AM) *

The original plan was to find a cap of death... but that didn't happen tongue.gif Likewise never got a full spectral set, or the good class helms... etc sad.gif Rats, actually there is a lot left to find! Blessings too... and HoL sneaky.gif

+Quote Post
Nudibranch
post Jun 18 2019, 05:55 PM
Post #29

Fire Master

Helm of Brilliance or Lightning Sword cast high-level Electric Field, which is pretty good against Flame Devils and adequate against Asmo. I didn't have a Cap of Death the first few times I killed him.

--------------------

+Quote Post
grumpsey
post Jun 18 2019, 06:51 PM
Post #30

Journeyman

QUOTE (Nudibranch @ Jun 19 2019, 03:55 AM) *
Helm of Brilliance or Lightning Sword cast high-level Electric Field, which is pretty good against Flame Devils and adequate against Asmo. I didn't have a Cap of Death the first few times I killed him.

Yep, I just realised Flame devils have 100% fire and 75% electrical resistance - so was definitely the PD which did the heavy lifting. Wonder if it is worth WoD even at such a low spell level (like SL 16) in this situation due to no resistances (for the devils), or will it just fail?

+Quote Post
Roland
post Jun 18 2019, 07:56 PM
Post #31

Mentor

Member No.: 8,408

QUOTE (grumpsey @ Jun 18 2019, 02:51 PM) *
Yep, I just realised Flame devils have 100% fire and 75% electrical resistance - so was definitely the PD which did the heavy lifting. Wonder if it is worth WoD even at such a low spell level (like SL 16) in this situation due to no resistances (for the devils), or will it just fail?

Flame Devils only have 50% electrical resistance, not 75%. (Asmo has 75%.) But they have no resistance to cold, mind, magic, paralysis, or acid.

Word of Death costs 156 spell points and does 69-160 damage - not enough to kill a Flame Devil.

Draining Touch costs 27 spell points and does 73-147 damage - maybe useful against Asmo, but not that much more damage than a good weapon.

Acid Spray costs 8 spell points and does 79-160 damage - about the same as WoD for a lot less cost (since your Sorcerer is much higher level).

Paralyzing Death costs 30 spell pints and does 170-342 damage.

Arctic Storm costs 40 spell points and does 139-279 damage.

So, given your options, Paralyzing Death was the correct spell to use against the Flame Devils. Too bad Asmo is 100% resistant to paralysis.

+Quote Post

2 Pages V  < 1 2
Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 12th December 2019 - 09:05 PM
Bridged By IpbWiki: Integration Of Invision Power Board and MediaWiki © GlobalSoft
Copyrights and Credits