Reply to this topicStart new topic
> A virgin, solo game
BLauritson
post Jan 4 2019, 07:35 PM
Post #81

Lord Fnorgle

Group: Admin
Member No.: 9
referrer:Let's see.. I can't remember now, it was too long ago.

QUOTE (fischsemmel @ Jan 4 2019, 12:17 PM) *
I've always always always had a hard time managing consumables in every game I play. I always either sell them or hoard them...

If it's any consolation I'm exactly the same!

Got a few White Sashes with my current Mordor party, there to be used whenever I encounter a particularly nasty mob. Have I used a single one yet? Nope!

--------------------
Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post
fischsemmel
post Jan 4 2019, 08:04 PM
Post #82

Voyager

Group: Members Plus
Member No.: 6,580
referrer:Search engine

Haha, yeah, I know the feeling. I have gotten better at it though, especially with restoration and fate consumables, and sashes. I tend to find sashes as fast as I can use them, so when they were piling up in my bank I started using them up whenever I had an extra. S haven't found a gold sash but magenta and even static sure are handy for zapping certain groups on 12-13 or lower-level spawns on 14-15 (looking at you, shadow wolves, lamurian outcasts, tarantulas, wolf spiders, etc!). The only stuff I've really hoarded I think is tomes/scrolls of spells and magic dust really.

I actually found 2 more lightning blades today... Heh. One was even neutral already! I think one was from the lamurian lord and 1 was from the vampire lord. I've been sending to hit the pariah rooms on the west half of 15 plus the Lord and priestess lairs before restarting my route up at mother of Serpents.

Unfortunately I won't be using any of the blades yet because while I did find two nakovants on 4 (there are two rooms there I check every time since they are right by the coordinates I teleport up from 13->10->7->4)... I hit f instead of d and killed them both while a sorcerer. Oh well!

This post has been edited by fischsemmel: Jan 4 2019, 08:59 PM

+Quote Post
fischsemmel
post Jan 6 2019, 02:25 AM
Post #83

Voyager

Currently doing my best to add some sorcerer levels. I need more damage on my nukes to level entire groups on 15 so I can actually clear more than a dozen rooms down there before I need fate or a trip back to town. It's not fast progress, I'm at 326 and needing about 240k exp per level, but it's not too slow yet either.

I got a cross of requnix this evening, though of course I can't use it for another like 90 sorc levels or 200 healer levels... Heh. I've been hoping to see gloves of doom (18 total defense on gloves? yes please) and boots of elven lords but no luck. I know they're not as amazing as some of the level 15 and 16 items, but since they have a higher drop chance and can be seen on 14 too I figured they were more likely to see soon. I'm still only killing the high priestess and destroyer, no other level 16 things (well I get to loot a mind twister chest sometimes but I still don't kill them with no ring of entrapment yet) until I'm like 400 sorc and finish maxing defense and find a few more blessings and, pipedream maybe, I find a ring of entrapment so I can enter those rooms with 4 companions every time.

I found another dragons blood soon after worrying I was not seeing enough to keep my age near minimum though, so that's good!

This post has been edited by fischsemmel: Jan 6 2019, 02:26 AM

+Quote Post
fischsemmel
post Jan 6 2019, 04:31 AM
Post #84

Voyager

Hmm. I just deleted my character on accident while thinking I was clicking on exit and the "ok I'll be sure to refer friends to the game" buttons. I haven't backed up in a while either, but I guess I'll be loading my newest one tomorrow and editting my character back to where I was.

Thatll teach me to play while also watching TV, I guess! laugh.gif

+Quote Post
BLauritson
post Jan 6 2019, 09:28 AM
Post #85

Lord Fnorgle

QUOTE (fischsemmel @ Jan 6 2019, 04:31 AM) *
Hmm. I just deleted my character on accident while thinking I was clicking on exit and the "ok I'll be sure to refer friends to the game" buttons. I haven't backed up in a while either, but I guess I'll be loading my newest one tomorrow and editting my character back to where I was.

Thatll teach me to play while also watching TV, I guess! laugh.gif

Ouch! blink.gif

Well, you've certainly taken it a lot better than I would have done in the same situation - I'd be sat there filled with horror and dread at the very least laugh.gif

--------------------

+Quote Post
fischsemmel
post Jan 6 2019, 12:46 PM
Post #86

Voyager

QUOTE (BLauritson @ Jan 6 2019, 04:28 AM) *
Well, you've certainly taken it a lot better than I would have done in the same situation - I'd be sat there filled with horror and dread at the very least laugh.gif

Haha. Well. There's not much else I can do about it, so I figure cest la vie I suppose!

I know my levels and hits and equipment and gold, except I can't remember exactly how many dusts and tomes of spells and stuff I had banked. So really all I'm losing is my library stats (which is definitely a bit depressing) and the exploration I've done. I think my backup will have the same confinement and almost all the same stuff in the store, which is all stuff I didn't actually need anyway. So it's not so bad. Just gotta figure out how to do something more than derock with the editor I have smile.gif

I'll both be more careful about deletion from here on (I kinda thought it wanted your password to confirm and I actually set a pw specifically because of this), besides trying to remember to do a backup more often.

Edit - oooh, I realized I can just create a "v2" of my old character in the same game to salvage my exact exploration and store a d confinement and library stats. I'll just have to monkey with editor enough to get him back to where I was before the deletion!

This post has been edited by fischsemmel: Jan 6 2019, 01:21 PM

+Quote Post
Nudibranch
post Jan 6 2019, 10:17 PM
Post #87

Fire Master

Group: Mordor MP Prog
Member No.: 71
referrer:search

I always exited the game via the backup button - takes about as long and ensures a constant current backup. I'd drag-drop a copy of the backup folder after big milestones too.

--------------------
I would have started with lasers. Eight o'clock. Day one.

+Quote Post
fischsemmel
post Jan 8 2019, 02:05 AM
Post #88

Voyager

QUOTE (Nudibranch @ Jan 6 2019, 05:17 PM) *
I always exited the game via the backup button - takes about as long and ensures a constant current backup. I'd drag-drop a copy of the backup folder after big milestones too.

Yeah, I'll have to start doing that. I'm back at it now, just an hour of my time and my kills, deaths, quests, time played stats are lost I think.

Found a 6th blessing just now! Maybe when I get the 7th I'll regear to absolute max defense and switch to seeker and stick my head in some level 16 rooms just to see what happens!

Does anyone know the variation in hits from the average, for monsters?

This post has been edited by fischsemmel: Jan 8 2019, 02:09 AM

+Quote Post
fischsemmel
post Jan 8 2019, 02:54 PM
Post #89

Voyager

As I sit here grinding higher in sorcerer (up to 358 now, fear my EF and PD!), I find myself thinking, as I often do, about other characters.

If I play another after this, I usually think I'd want to try a good or evil so I can be a mage. The guild concept always really appealed to me, more than any other probably. But the reality of managing companions, especially if you want to try to keep more than one, and most especially if solo and therefore reliant on items or returns to town for healing and resurrections? Yuck.

Sometimes I think I'll try another neutral solo all arounder, but as human instead of osiri. Slightly lower dex and con won't mean squat on a legacy guy with 8+ blessings, and while I dread the thought of not having innate 90 resist for acid, mind, and elec... humans' faster exp, ability to be warrior, and ability to wear the lamurian crown all seem like they'd make a human more of an "ultimate" soloer in the long run. There is the slightly higher chance of a complications raise though I guess... though it seems a very small negative for a legacy character getting handed a bunch of blessings and being powered up.

In either case, a new character would be a legacy and tag along with my current guy to get powered up. Maybe they'd even become a permanent duo? Or all three?! blink.gif

Other than that I'm tempted to do a party again but eh. I've done that, and challenges with a party like no death or no neutral seem more like annoyances than fun challenges.

Hmm. But I won't do anything else until I "win" with my osiri. In the meanwhile, I've got more sorcerer levels to get and more blessings to find! I did pick up one of the few other gear upgrades left for me this morning though, bracers of destruction. Finally time to say goodbye to twisted bracers, laugh.gif

Edit - actually I guess I should work on healer, not sorc. My sorc SS are wrecking stuff on level 15 now, plenty good enough for destroyer and black gremlins, but they won't be any good on asmodeus or the demon prince. And I'm only 199 healer. So unless I want to try him with the cap of death I have... I need 40+ million exp with healer.

And after more thought, making a good gnome seeker/mage to play with my current guy after he does win sounds nice. The gnome can focus on just those two besides eventually maybe getting sorcerer up to do some buffs since my healer has thief and healer and sorcerer well covered. And maybe in 6 months, haha, I'll be wanting to add the human solo-style guy to the mix.

This post has been edited by fischsemmel: Jan 8 2019, 04:32 PM

+Quote Post
Nudibranch
post Jan 8 2019, 04:36 PM
Post #90

Fire Master

My only (non-challenge) solo attempt, once, was a Human Mage. In the long run, no Thief makes it difficult to progress. Scavenger doesn't cut it.

It's impossible to keep companions alive, long-term. The advantage of Mage is that you can replace them frequently instead.

Leveling a legacy is pretty boring, as you noted at the beginning of this thread. I feel your best bet is once you "win" with your current character, add a kid brother/sister (or maybe two) to your party and drag them into dangerous places.

Monsters have +/- 25% average hits, as just discussed in a different thread.

--------------------

+Quote Post
fischsemmel
post Jan 8 2019, 06:22 PM
Post #91

Voyager

QUOTE (Nudibranch @ Jan 8 2019, 11:36 AM) *
My only (non-challenge) solo attempt, once, was a Human Mage. In the long run, no Thief makes it difficult to progress. Scavenger doesn't cut it.

It's impossible to keep companions alive, long-term. The advantage of Mage is that you can replace them frequently instead.

Leveling a legacy is pretty boring, as you noted at the beginning of this thread. I feel your best bet is once you "win" with your current character, add a kid brother/sister (or maybe two) to your party and drag them into dangerous places.

Monsters have +/- 25% average hits, as just discussed in a different thread.

Yeah. All this sounds good.

Mage as my current characters partner might lose it's appeal if I manage to find a ring of entrapment I figure. But it's been hundreds of hours without one yet so I'm not too optimistic I'll get one in the time it takes me to kill the big guy.

I'm not sure what else would really be more appealing to add in anyways besides the human solo-type. I still do a ton of melee even with minimum spell costs because going back and forth to town annoys me more than watching melee swings does, heh, so it'd be fun to see the difference between warrior and seeker combat.

+Quote Post
fischsemmel
post Jan 11 2019, 03:47 AM
Post #92

Voyager

I got a few hours in intermittently over the evening. Saw 0 pariahs today, but I did pick up like a 6th lightning blade and my first staff of destruction! I can even use it as a socerer, too. Healer is still only 233 though.

I've started visiting the 4 stud rooms on 16 that can't normally spawn devils or demons (I had forgotten they don't spawn in all of them until recently), not that it matters much since the other level 16 monsters don't drop anything I can't get on the rest of 14-15. I don't think I realized until now that the eliminator is the only level 16 item.

Oh, I picked up a cloak of enchantment yesterday too. My gear is really looking great these days. Still no sign of gloves of doom or boots of the elven lords or, of course, magicians armor. But I'm pretty surprised how much of the best pieces I've found already.

Hopefully I'll have some time to grind levels this weekend and have a useful word of death finally! I actually have a cap of death (or four) and one shadow axe... so whenever I'm ready to face probable death, I can have a go at the big guy and his prince. But still lacking a ring of entrapment, itd be a pain to drag companions around with me as meatshields... and I'm sure I'll need them to survive.

This post has been edited by fischsemmel: Jan 11 2019, 03:50 AM

+Quote Post
Nudibranch
post Jan 11 2019, 05:43 PM
Post #93

Fire Master

Sword of Flames, you mean. And the Lamurian Crown, but that's not found in stud rooms. The best thing found in level 16 rooms is dropped by Black Gremlins... cool.gif

The only soloist I've ever known to beat the game had this to say about it:
http://dejenol.com/forum/index.php?s=&...post&p=8643

--------------------

+Quote Post
fischsemmel
post Jan 11 2019, 06:11 PM
Post #94

Voyager

QUOTE (Nudibranch @ Jan 11 2019, 12:43 PM) *
Sword of Flames, you mean. And the Lamurian Crown, but that's not found in stud rooms. The best thing found in level 16 rooms is dropped by Black Gremlins... cool.gif

The only soloist I've ever known to beat the game had this to say about it:
http://dejenol.com/forum/index.php?s=&...post&p=8643

Right, my mistake. And yeah, I think I have 9 crowns in the store already... heh.

Fortunately both potential black gremlins rooms are NOT devil or demon rooms.

Ive always figured that'd be the method to solo asmo. Seems like even if you were max spell level for wod, he just has too many hp to kill without backing out to heal. Short of winning the initiative, his hp ending up lower than average, and two good rolls on wod ... he'll get at least two rounds on you which seems likely to kill even a 600+ defense max hp character.

Even though I've died like 10 times now, I'll go at him and demon prince trying my hardest to not die. Companions to soak damage, max hp, as much defense as I can get, etc.

+Quote Post
Roland
post Jan 11 2019, 09:26 PM
Post #95

Soldier

Member No.: 8,408
referrer:Google

QUOTE (fischsemmel @ Jan 10 2019, 10:47 PM) *
Oh, I picked up a cloak of enchantment yesterday too. My gear is really looking great these days. Still no sign of gloves of doom or boots of the elven lords or, of course, magicians armor. But I'm pretty surprised how much of the best pieces I've found already.

Interesting. I have found the gloves, boots, and armor, but I've never found a Cloak of Enchantment. I'm still missing two level-14 items - White Flame Gauntlets and Scarab of Life.

+Quote Post
fischsemmel
post Jan 12 2019, 01:19 AM
Post #96

Voyager

I think I want to start a library comparison thread. It'd be fun to see how many times different folks have seen different monsters and items.

I've seen people comparing their ring drops and liked reading that. I'm picturing like, a list of 20 or so of the prime targets (so to speak) like pariahs, mother of serpents, Magi Lord, etc., and key items like blessings, dragons blood, 14-15 items. Eh. Might be too much h hassle, but maybe I'll start one.

This post has been edited by fischsemmel: Jan 12 2019, 01:21 AM

+Quote Post
Roland
post Jan 12 2019, 02:36 AM
Post #97

Soldier

Member No.: 8,408
referrer:Google

QUOTE (fischsemmel @ Jan 11 2019, 08:19 PM) *
I think I want to start a library comparison thread. It'd be fun to see how many times different folks have seen different monsters and items.

I've seen people comparing their ring drops and liked reading that. I'm picturing like, a list of 20 or so of the prime targets (so to speak) like pariahs, mother of serpents, Magi Lord, etc., and key items like blessings, dragons blood, 14-15 items. Eh. Might be too much h hassle, but maybe I'll start one.

To inspire your thinking about what to include in the library comparison, I just did a quick count of high-level items and monsters from my detailed tables. Here is what I found (first column is level, second is the count):

Items
13 - 7
14 - 11
15 - 22
16 - 2

I did not see anything particularly uncommon among level-13 items, so I would suggest starting with the 35 items of level 14+, dropping anything that seems common or boring. Perhaps a few rare lower-level items like Crystal Sword, Dominator, and Dragon's Blood.

Monsters
13 - 19
14 - 17
15 - 26
16 - 10

High-level monsters are a lot more numerous than high-level items. There are some rare low-level monsters (Tengu), and a lot of high-level monsters are fairly common (Lamurian Warrior), so maybe level is not the best criterion for choosing which monsters to look at. Still, we will probably want to include all the level-16 monsters.

+Quote Post
fischsemmel
post Jan 12 2019, 12:37 PM
Post #98

Voyager

Yeah... I'll mull it over today and make a post tonight. I was picturing it more as a relative comparison for the hell of it kind of thing. So across the monsters and items I pick, it generally won't matter how rare or common they are, it'll just be interesting to see "oh, hey, you've seen 8000 golden centaurs and 12 pariahs, but I've seen 6000 golden centaurs and 22 pariahs." That sort of thing, since you're very likely seeing the centaurs in rooms that could spawn pariahs and vice versa. Or "we've both seen 25 Magi Lord's but I've seen three times as many vampire lords and half as many masters of shadows." stuff that probably speaks to which rooms any one of us tend to visit more often over the course of many, many trips.

+Quote Post
fischsemmel
post Jan 13 2019, 12:40 PM
Post #99

Voyager

laugh.gif

I really just don't understand dungeon respawns. I haven't played since yesterday morning, but goblin shaman, cockateice, twisted elf, black pelagon, and apparently the pariah rooms are all still empty.

Shouldn't they at least have respawned at midnight? Or is that only if you're actively playing when it rolls over?

Edit - yeah, how the hell? Stuff from 3 all the way down to 15 is clear. Normally I can't fight my rooms of choice from mother of Serpents through 15 before 12-14 respawns. So how can they all be down together, nearly a day after I was last playing? Minotaur room is empty and I literally can't remember the last time I was in it. It had to be at least a week ago.

This post has been edited by fischsemmel: Jan 13 2019, 12:53 PM

+Quote Post
BLauritson
post Jan 13 2019, 07:09 PM
Post #100

Lord Fnorgle

I've noticed the same - when I was grinding DL 1 for my early levels occasionally there would be a set of rooms I hadn't accessed for some time that were still empty, even though the rest of the dungeon level had respawned two or three times already.

I guess there's a rare bug in the respawning code?

--------------------

+Quote Post

6 Pages V  « < 3 4 5 6 >
Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 22nd August 2019 - 10:17 AM
Bridged By IpbWiki: Integration Of Invision Power Board and MediaWiki © GlobalSoft
Copyrights and Credits