> thiefing and guilds
unleashed
post Apr 9 2005, 05:16 AM
Post #1

Infiltrator

Group: Members
Member No.: 131
referrer:looked it up on google.com

My character seems to be getting worse at his thiefing skill..
Lately I have been focusing on my Healer and Warrior guild... But as I go on, I am getting worse and worse at disarming traps blink.gif

I was thinking about this, and I was wondering if multiple guilds have an effect on this? If so, Mordor is REALLY designed for Party's.. big ones.

My character is:

Dwarf
Str - 28
Int - 26
Wis - 27
Con - 25
Cha - 22
Dex - 25

100 Nomad
167 Warrior
70 Seeker
100 Thief
112 Healer

This guy started out as a solo and a starting character, that's why so many guilds.
Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post
A. J. Raffles
post Apr 9 2005, 07:39 AM
Post #2

Evil Being

Member No.: 11
referrer:Braindead

Hmm, what do you mean by your thieving skill getting worse? Did your skill points go down? huh.gif As far as I know there is no penalty for multiclassing in Mordor 1., so if you just think you've been triggering a lot of traps and getting a lot of items stolen lately, could it be something else, like that you've been going deeper and encountering traps which are harder to disarm and more skilled thieves? Otherwise I'd say it's probably pure coincidence (like my character getting drained for HP four times in a row within half an hour after I hadn't been playing for several months).

Edit: Another reason might be that your character started out as a solo character. If you run a party, the game will be using the thieving skill of the character you have selected, so if that happens to be a warrior, you may well get robbed and trigger traps more often, because his thieving skill is probably lower than your thief's.

--------------------
The description-writers' mantra (as formulated by Beef):
No more imbuing unless it's really necessary...

http://www.reloaded.org/

"I am adorably stupid, and want everything explained to me - when the meaning is pleasant." - Gwendolen Harleth

No more finals-stress - what am I going to do with myself??

+Quote Post
Braindead
post Apr 9 2005, 07:43 AM
Post #3

Zombie Master

Group: Admin
Member No.: 1
referrer:;)

I have had the same issue with my thief, skillpoints dropped for 6 points in thieving. I don't think draining has effect on skillpoints... huh.gif

--------------------
Do not PM me for support, if you have troubles running Mordor ask in the Technical Support forum!

+Quote Post
A. J. Raffles
post Apr 9 2005, 07:52 AM
Post #4

Evil Being

Member No.: 11
referrer:Braindead

QUOTE (Braindead @ Apr 9 2005, 07:43 AM)
I have had the same issue with my thief, skillpoints dropped for 6 points in thieving. I don't think draining has effect on skillpoints...  huh.gif

It has, depending on which stat gets drained. If you get drained for dexterity, your thieving skill will go down.

--------------------
The description-writers' mantra (as formulated by Beef):
No more imbuing unless it's really necessary...

http://www.reloaded.org/

"I am adorably stupid, and want everything explained to me - when the meaning is pleasant." - Gwendolen Harleth

No more finals-stress - what am I going to do with myself??

+Quote Post
Varil
post Apr 9 2005, 11:59 PM
Post #5

Apprentice

Member No.: 147
referrer:Google for Mordor.

Did you change equips in the new guilds? Dex affects thieving, and if you're no longer wearing as much dex-boosting equipment as before, then you probably are a less efficient thief now. Also, are you diving deeper now? The traps get more dangerous on lower levels, and harder to disarm.

+Quote Post
unleashed
post Apr 10 2005, 02:14 AM
Post #6

Infiltrator

i used to be able to open traps from lvl7-9 without any problem most of the time..
Now, i'm struggling to disarm one in lvl6!!!!
This is what i mean..

I have no other characters with me and my dexterity I don't think changes from all my items. I think ill go have a look at that one, but it shouldn't make THAT big of a difference by a couple of points of dex should it???

i have no idea what's goin on. Of course if I get my thief guild up it will help, but it shouldn't go down either.

@Braindead:
I think you're right. Skill points should be entrely focused on the guild.. Dex has nothing to do with it.... I don't think. Ill test this out

-update-
Dexterity DOES effect the thiefing skill!!! hmm
It seems to be only by 1 point per dex point, but I could be wrong.

Now i'm actually thinking that the chance of disarming is based ONLY on the thiefing skill, butcause everything is already accounted for.. I'm going to test this on the fighting skill... (strength)

Strength does NOT effect the fighting skill... by what ive seen. There was a 3 strength difference, yet no difference in the skill, whereas there was only a 1 dex difference for the thiefing skill

+Quote Post
aardless
post Apr 10 2005, 11:54 AM
Post #7

Goblin Shaman at work (used to be: on strike...)

Member No.: 18
referrer::yahoo:

It could be that the random number generator is stuck in a low value cycle, always resulting in failure. I've had myself a few runs where my more than adequate thief was never able to disarm a single trap. blink.gif
This might be a long shot, but try disarming a couple of dozen traps on level 1 and, heck, even playing at different hours than usual.

--------------------
If money doesn't grow on trees, why is it that banks have branches? - sig of a guy on a chinese forum

Most off-topic topics are off-topic - fart642000

+Quote Post
unleashed
post Apr 10 2005, 01:34 PM
Post #8

Infiltrator

kk will do smile.gif

Good change to re-stock all my tomes/potion for stats again.. smile.gif

+Quote Post
Nudibranch
post Apr 12 2005, 11:42 PM
Post #9

Fire Master

Group: Mordor MP Prog
Member No.: 71
referrer:search

Dex has a huge effect on thieving skill. If you're currently leveling your thief in another guild, you're missing the benefit of +4 Dex from the Thief's Guild crest (and possibly Dex bonuses from items like Thief's Gloves). I'm not positive, but I think Int and/or Wis have an effect on Thieving skill as well. Int and/or Wis also have an effect on Perception.

If you rejoin the Thief's Guild, your Thieving ability should return to where it was.

--------------------
I would have started with lasers. Eight o'clock. Day one.

+Quote Post
Braindead
post Apr 13 2005, 06:51 PM
Post #10

Zombie Master

Member No.: 1
referrer:;)

QUOTE (Nudibranch @ Apr 13 2005, 12:42 AM)
If you rejoin the Thief's Guild, your Thieving ability should return to where it was.

That's what I thought too first, but this wasn't the case.

--------------------
Do not PM me for support, if you have troubles running Mordor ask in the Technical Support forum!

+Quote Post

Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 26th August 2019 - 10:20 AM
Bridged By IpbWiki: Integration Of Invision Power Board and MediaWiki © GlobalSoft
Copyrights and Credits