Group: Members Plus
Member No.: 7,124
referrer:slimeys

i have a nasty mordor habit.

opening chests without looking at the trap and seeing the chances of failing

it cost me a few lost characters somewhere in the dungeon

--------------------
just so you know its me, kingkirki49

Ich kann drei prozent auf deustch sprechen.

my famous mordor saying

Zeige mir, oh Lehrer. Derjenige, der Magie tut, ist töricht aber der Krieger ist stark. Der Dieb stiehlt , aber der Heiler gibt. Der Suchende sucht, aber der Hexenmeister sieht. Der Magier bezaubert, aber die Zauberer bläst. Der Nomade reist, aber der Bösewicht ist böse. Der Paladin tötet Drachen und der Ninja schleicht. Und der Scavenger? Er sucht nach Nahrung und Gold.

(translated)

Teach me, O teacher. The one who does magic is foolish, but the warrior is strong. The thief steals, but the healer gives. The seeker seeks, but the wizard sees. The mage charms, but the Sorcerer blasts. The nomad travels, but the villain is evil. The paladin kills dragons and the ninja creeps. And the scavenger? He searches for food and gold.
Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post
DarkerMuffin
post Dec 27 2014, 07:10 PM
Post #2

Fighter

Member No.: 4,683
referrer:Search engine

Take the O key off the keyboard. tongue.gif

I tend to get into this habit too, especially after starting new characters. The main way I try to avoid it is by holding the down button on what I hope will be the last round of combat, so that the trap types start flashing before I head to the open key. Usually this gives me a chance to check for dangerous repeating words, like slime and teleport. This method doesn't work when something annoying happens, like my character missing its swing.

On the lower levels, I tend to get very paranoid of some of the encounters, so I wind up playing much more deliberately once I'm around level 9 or 10. Usually this feeds into my chest opening habits and I stop instictively opening chests on autopilot around then.

If you're playing with a party, you could try to get into the habit of heading to the N key instead of the O key. This cycles through the members of your party repeatedly, which helps determine the chest type. It's not as useful for solo characters though!

--------------------
null

+Quote Post
i_love_rush_and_...
post Dec 27 2014, 07:12 PM
Post #3

Fighter

QUOTE (DarkerMuffin @ Dec 27 2014, 02:10 PM) *
Take the O key off the keyboard. tongue.gif

I tend to get into this habit too, especially after starting new characters. The main way I try to avoid it is by holding the down button on what I hope will be the last round of combat, so that the trap types start flashing before I head to the open key. Usually this gives me a chance to check for dangerous repeating words, like slime and teleport. This method doesn't work when something annoying happens, like my character missing its swing.

On the lower levels, I tend to get very paranoid of some of the encounters, so I wind up playing much more deliberately once I'm around level 9 or 10. Usually this feeds into my chest opening habits and I stop instictively opening chests on autopilot around then.

If you're playing with a party, you could try to get into the habit of heading to the N key instead of the O key. This cycles through the members of your party repeatedly, which helps determine the chest type. It's not as useful for solo characters though!

Thankyou. I wonder what others have to say as well

--------------------

my famous mordor saying

Zeige mir, oh Lehrer. Derjenige, der Magie tut, ist töricht aber der Krieger ist stark. Der Dieb stiehlt , aber der Heiler gibt. Der Suchende sucht, aber der Hexenmeister sieht. Der Magier bezaubert, aber die Zauberer bläst. Der Nomade reist, aber der Bösewicht ist böse. Der Paladin tötet Drachen und der Ninja schleicht. Und der Scavenger? Er sucht nach Nahrung und Gold.

(translated)

Teach me, O teacher. The one who does magic is foolish, but the warrior is strong. The thief steals, but the healer gives. The seeker seeks, but the wizard sees. The mage charms, but the Sorcerer blasts. The nomad travels, but the villain is evil. The paladin kills dragons and the ninja creeps. And the scavenger? He searches for food and gold.

+Quote Post
grobblewobble
post Dec 28 2014, 02:31 AM
Post #4

Dungeon Master

Group: Mordor MP Prog
Member No.: 134
referrer:Slimey's site

The trap type is the most important. I never open slime traps, no matter how easy to open they are. On deep levels I also avoided teleport traps, when I felt it was to dangerous.

Other traps are annoying, but that's all. An explosive trap just drains your healing reserves, but it doesn't kill you (or your items).

--------------------
Fear the Society of the Psychic Tyco

+Quote Post
i_love_rush_and_...
post Dec 28 2014, 02:46 AM
Post #5

Fighter

Grobble, I thought explosive traps just damage you or is that what you meant? I know fate won't kill but can leave you at 1 hp

--------------------

my famous mordor saying

(translated)

+Quote Post
Nudibranch
post Dec 28 2014, 03:31 AM
Post #6

Fire Master

Member No.: 71
referrer:search

For a solo character, you can exit and reenter the room to refresh the trap type.

Don't open a fate trap while you're diseased/poisoned. If it drops you to < 10 HP, you'll die a few seconds later. I always carry SP items in case it drops you to low SP and can no longer cast heal.

--------------------
I would have started with lasers. Eight o'clock. Day one.

+Quote Post
i_love_rush_and_...
post Dec 28 2014, 03:33 AM
Post #7

Fighter

That's sound advice nudibranch

--------------------

my famous mordor saying

(translated)

+Quote Post
Nudibranch
post Dec 28 2014, 03:36 AM
Post #8

Fire Master

Member No.: 71
referrer:search

Learned the hard way. rolleyes.gif

--------------------
I would have started with lasers. Eight o'clock. Day one.

+Quote Post
i_love_rush_and_...
post Dec 28 2014, 04:41 AM
Post #9

Fighter

I probably will have to too

--------------------

my famous mordor saying

(translated)

+Quote Post
DarkerMuffin
post Jan 15 2015, 09:33 AM
Post #10

Fighter

Member No.: 4,683
referrer:Search engine

After playing and leveling up thief quite a bit, I've found I've stopped since I'm correctly identifying the chests correctly most of the time now without resorting to the leave the room trick. So, when I see a heart-stopping trap type (mainly slimes) while the monsters are around, I manage to hold off on pressing anything after the fight's finished. A lot of my slime mistakes took place with traps I misidentified as mundane ones, only to wind up hearing that awful squeeweeeelch sound. I still have to be pretty deliberate around magically locked ones and make sure I don't hit buffer -> O without checking the trap type.

Not that this translates into helpful advice other than level-up thief. whistling.gif

--------------------
null

+Quote Post
i_love_rush_and_...
post Jan 15 2015, 04:45 PM
Post #11

Fighter

QUOTE (DarkerMuffin @ Jan 15 2015, 04:33 AM) *
After playing and leveling up thief quite a bit, I've found I've stopped since I'm correctly identifying the chests correctly most of the time now without resorting to the leave the room trick. So, when I see a heart-stopping trap type (mainly slimes) while the monsters are around, I manage to hold off on pressing anything after the fight's finished. A lot of my slime mistakes took place with traps I misidentified as mundane ones, only to wind up hearing that awful squeeweeeelch sound. I still have to be pretty deliberate around magically locked ones and make sure I don't hit buffer -> O without checking the trap type.

Not that this translates into helpful advice other than level-up thief. whistling.gif

im leveling up my theif

--------------------

my famous mordor saying

(translated)

+Quote Post

Reply to this topicStart new topic
2 User(s) are reading this topic (2 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 16th December 2019 - 11:38 AM
Bridged By IpbWiki: Integration Of Invision Power Board and MediaWiki © GlobalSoft
Copyrights and Credits