IPB

Welcome Guest ( Log In | Register )

3 Pages V   1 2 3 >  
Reply to this topicStart new topic
> Back to Mordor after far too long away!, Or "How I saw people writing about their new characters on here an
BLauritson
post Dec 18 2018, 07:48 PM
Post #1

Lord Fnorgle

Group: Admin
Member No.: 9
referrer:Let's see.. I can't remember now, it was too long ago.

...decided I wanted to join in too!"

Greetings folks,

Well I've already announced my recent return in the official newbie thread but having read through the currently active threads about people's games with solo characters, I feel inspired to write up my own experiences of starting up Mordor again after so long away from it. All based on a fresh install with only my memories and the occasional tip from the forum to guide me!

When I used to play this game regularly back in my teens I was always fond of solo characters and never really got to grips with running a party. Consequently I don't think I ever made it below Level 6 and although I know of a lot of the later-game and end-game stuff from what I've read on here over the years, I've yet to actually experience it myself and that's something I want to tick off my bucket list in life. I mean, exploring the real world is alright and all, but what good will that do if I'm lying on my death bed thinking, "I really wish I'd confronted Asmodeus in that Mordor game at some point..."? smile.gif

Anyway, onto the game. I decided I wanted to go with the legacy character approach, so I started by creating a big dumb giant (maximum strength and con, the rest in dexterity) to quickly map out the first couple of levels and harvest tomes to be passed on to legacy characters. This big dumb giant is called Grogbog and due to his abysmal mental stats he can't even join the Warrior guild. I mean, he could, but they all just laugh at how stupid he is and he feels embarrassed and starts crying, so the guildmaster refuses to let him join. Or that's my interpretation anyway. Nevertheless he's a level 40 Nomad with 247 hits and can easily hold his own on the first couple of levels.

While it's nice knowing I have a big dumb brute who can harvest tomes by mowing down most every monster in his path, it does get a bit boring when he encounters a slave group so I decided to create another non-legacy character who would perform the same function as Grogbog. This was a good gnome whom I called Gundya, and gave him to the Mage guild so he could charm and instakill the weaker mobs. Unfortunately he was soon abandoned after a few failed resurrections led to my very first ever experience of....complications! Bloody hell it was nasty, stats drained all over the place! So I just gave all of his equipment to Grogbog and deleted him, then created a new gnome with the imaginative name of Gundya v2. Gundya v2 has thankfully fared better than his predecessor and is currently a level 30 Nomad and a level 22 Mage who can charm most insects, animals and humanoids on levels 1 and 2. Unfortunately he's currently pinned at Mage and has a quest to retrieve a padded leather cap, which I'm yet to find any of. Now I could forfeit and continue climbing the Mage ladder, but I think instead this actually presents a good point to stop. Why?

Well, the whole point of Grogbog and later Gundya v2 was to stock up on tomes for the legacy characters, one of whom is now actually ready to start adventuring. Who are they?

As I want to experience the late and end-game this time around, I'm going to force myself to learn how to effectively play with a party. Hence, I've created four characters in readiness for this:
Brundath - Neutral Male Giant. The leader and tank who will level in Warrior primarily, but also Seeker for the perception and movement spells.
Gnumen - Good Male Gnome. A secondary fighter via Paladin but mainly focusing on Mage and Sorcerer for all-round magical support. Gnumen now has maximum constitution thanks to tomes so he will be trained up going forward.
Mythraxa - Good Female Elf. Another spellcaster, her focus will be purely on the magic guilds of Sorcerer and Wizard. Not sure if it's worth levelling in Mage also...it means an extra set of instakill spells to share with Gnumen but I think I want to focus on the Sorcerer-exclusive spells primarily since from reading the forums it sounds like Sorcerer spells such as Electric Field are very useful in the deeper dungeon levels.
Nothrya - Neutral Female Osiri. The thief and healer of the party, possibly with Sorcerer levels also to add additional magical firepower where appropriate. But thief will definitely be her main focus.

Even as I ready myself for party-based adventuring, I cannot deny the sheer joy of running around with my non-legacy mage Gundya v2, enslaving monsters left right and centre only to sell them at the Confinement. Even more joyful is charming Enchanters and Charmers, then letting them slaughter my enemies for me with their wound spells. Actually for the first dungeon level, a pair of enchanters will make short work of most every basic mob on there so that might be worth giving to Gnumen as he claws his way up through the first few guild levels. Can companions be transferred between characters in the same way as items, or can that only be achieved by selling to the Confinement and re-purchasing with the receiving character?

If you got this far then thank you for reading! I will return occasionally with updates on how my party is progressing, although as I want to ensure maximum hit points for all of them it will be a while before the four of them start adventuring together as only Gnumen has maximum constitution at this point in time. And roaming only the upper two levels doesn't exactly make one wealthy enough to re-align all those EVIL tomes I seem to be picking up not_ok.gif. Oh well, never mind smile.gif

--------------------
Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post
fischsemmel
post Dec 19 2018, 02:55 AM
Post #2

Vagabond

Group: Members Plus
Member No.: 6,580
referrer:Search engine

Awesome! Endless replayability here, for sure. And I know all about the padded leather cap roadblock from my current solo project, hah!

A strong, full-party setup probably doesn't NEED to do optimal leveling route to be successful. When I last played a couple years ago, I had a party a lot like yours (giant warrior/seeker, a couple dwarf warrior/healer/sorc, and an osiri thief/healer/sorc). I "beat" the game with about 150 hours played iirc, never having significant issues with anything being too tough or the leveling being too slow (thief and warrior were up over 400 I think with main casters ~250), and they were nonlegacy. So if you do start chomping at the bit, you should be ok if you choose to get at it before everyone is max con and ready for optimal leveling.

Playing from memory with light tips from the web might make it quite a bit tougher though depending on how good your memory is! Good luck, I'll keep up to date with your posts smile.gif

Light spoiler mostly for convenience and time saving, if you want: save those evil tomes until you have several, combine them at the store, then realign them all together for the same cost you'd pay to realign each individually!

This post has been edited by fischsemmel: Dec 19 2018, 02:58 AM

+Quote Post
BLauritson
post Dec 19 2018, 08:12 PM
Post #3

Lord Fnorgle

Thanks fischsemmel, I hadn't realised that was possible and doubt I would have discovered that on my own! Should make things a bit easier then when I've got just enough disposable gold to buy up all the evil tomes I've, annoyingly, already sold to the store smile.gif

I must admit it was the story of your solo game that inspired me to get started again. I know I won't be progressing nearly as fast as you have but hopefully I'll still have some interesting updates to give nonetheless!

Well, with that in mind I might as well go boot it up and get started smile.gif

--------------------

+Quote Post
BLauritson
post Dec 19 2018, 09:23 PM
Post #4

Lord Fnorgle

Well...I can't claim this first hour of Nomad levelling has been uneventful!

I started levelling up Gnumen, my Good Gnome whose primary guild will be Mage, as he's currently got maximum Constitution and decent dexterity. His strength was just slightly lacking at 9, but very quickly found a Tome of Might which I realigned to Good and used on him, so now he can equip most basic items that have a strength requirement.

The notes I made as I played:
- Joined Mage immediately to get the level 1 spells, then back to Nomad for the first 30 levels
- Levelled up to 5 in Nomad, got my first quest already for a Green Slime. Chose to forfeit to exploit the constitution level bonus. Sent back to level 4. Gained a whole two additional HP upon my return to level 5.
- Encountered a Tengu at Nomad level 5 and eventually killed it after getting through about 6 or 7 insect companions charmed during my explorations.
- In these early levels just levelling as quickly as possible rather than waiting to pin each time, in order to increase early HP
- Got quested again at level 8 for a Kyu Yetro. Decided I would pin and forfeit, even though they're easy enough to find, just to exploit the extra HP mechanic.
- Encountered another Tengu at Nomad level 8. Immediately fled as had no companions around. Forfeited to level 6, found four insects and went back to fight it. Lost all four insects and had to flee back to town for healing. Went back to take revenge and killed it with one hit (but not before it hit me and inflicted both poison and disease. Good thing I have Gundya v2 around to heal me at the entrance!). For my sins I looted from it...an evil iron hammer. Totally worth it.
- At Nomad level 6, armed with three companions, decided to attack my first Pseudo Dragon. It died easily and attacked only my companions, so no harm done. Then did the same to a second one that had a chest, same result.
- Thanks to the earlier forfeits, reached 102 HP at Nomad level 9. Two Gredlan Rogues offered to join me which was nice. Then they died because I decided to attack a pair of Enchanters. Silly rogues, offering to join someone as needlessly belligerent as me.
- At levels 11 and 12 I earned 10 HP each level, so now at level 12 I have 130 HP. Not bad going for a gnome. Also carrying four tomes which I can't afford to identify...although I've at least identified that the first two are NOT Tomes of Lies, so that's a bonus!

And for now that's it, though no doubt I shall return tomorrow to grind that first floor some more! Maybe I'll start increasing my Mage levels up to and including my Nomad level to give Gnumen some better spellcasting power, and perhaps get ready to start grinding Dungeon Level 2 also. Quite happy with that level of progress so far, but it's only the beginning and that's only for one character! The others will be brought out in time smile.gif

--------------------

+Quote Post
fischsemmel
post Dec 19 2018, 10:30 PM
Post #5

Vagabond

Hah, good times. I swear one of these days I'll play a good mage (doubt I can't convince myself to do evil since you get so few things joining you then without charm, I think) from scratch.

It's interesting to me how you plan to have a party, but you level then up separately to begin with. I'd never have thought to do things that way!

+Quote Post
Roland
post Dec 20 2018, 01:03 AM
Post #6

Fighter

Member No.: 8,408
referrer:Google

It sounds like you're off to a good start. I think you should focus on Nothrya next. You want to get access to Charm of Opening ASAP. Also, an Osiri Healer could use a head start because of the high experience required for each level.

+Quote Post
BLauritson
post Dec 22 2018, 10:40 AM
Post #7

Lord Fnorgle

QUOTE (fischsemmel @ Dec 19 2018, 10:30 PM) *
It's interesting to me how you plan to have a party, but you level then up separately to begin with. I'd never have thought to do things that way!

I guess because I'm so used to playing solo characters, it's easier for me to get them each to an individually-survivable state so that they can absorb all the inevitable miscoordinations I'll make when learning how to operate them all efficiently as a party smile.gif

QUOTE (Roland @ Dec 20 2018, 01:03 AM) *
It sounds like you're off to a good start. I think you should focus on Nothrya next. You want to get access to Charm of Opening ASAP. Also, an Osiri Healer could use a head start because of the high experience required for each level.

Thanks, yes I agree Nothrya would be the next one to focus on. I'm currently passing any Neutral-aligned tomes I identify onto Nothrya so when her stats are ready I'll start levelling her also. Perhaps even have Gnumen and Nothrya venture as a two-person party...would be a good way to gently ease myself into the feel of coordinating a party. Yes, I think that's my next step then!

--------------------

+Quote Post
BLauritson
post Dec 22 2018, 10:42 AM
Post #8

Lord Fnorgle

And now for the latest updates, all centred around Gnumen currently:

20/12/18

- Got quested at Nomad level 17 for an I'ssus. Decided to switch to Mage for a bit to get more spells and get the instakill spell costs down for faster Nomad grinding when I deliberately forfeit.
- Finally identified the two Tomes of Endurance, both were Neutral so gave them to Nothrya. She's now only one point away from maximum constitution.
- Descended to Level 2 (south-west part) and encountered Kyu Ianmo, Kyu Hetha and Giant Frogs in the stairs room. Must have got themselves beached somehow.
- Got back to Nomad level 17 again only to be quested again. Had 14 more HP by this point and allowed the forfeit once again, back down to 15.
- Got back to Nomad level 17 AGAIN...and got quested again. At 200 HP now, which is rather good going. This time the quest is for a Gredlan Rogue...have to be careful to ensure I don't accidentally complete the quest now.

21/12/18

- Forfeited again after successfully avoided fulfilling the quest. Down to level 15 and 192 HP, so if this pattern continues I'll have no problems in the HP department by the time I reach Nomad level 30
- While climbing back up the Nomad level 16 ladder, a Pseudo-Dragon offered to join me. Sold him for ~438k which is helping to finance the seemingly endless tome indentifications. Felt a tad bad selling him but he only had 16HP so his onward survival was hardly guaranteed anyway.
- FINALLY made it to Nomad level 17 without requiring a quest! Now have 205 HP as a result of all this deliberate forfeiting. I hope these minor gains turn out to be worth it later on.

22/12/18

- Got up to Nomad 21 before the next quest was assigned, this time to return a Silver Cross. Now at 238 HP so with all these forfeits I'll probably have 300+ HP by the time I reach Nomad 30.
- In other news I'm finding that with Neutral and Evil tomes in the store, it becomes much easier to guess the tome's alignment based on how much it costs to identify once I've got the initial type identified (e.g. "of Agility"). Saved a fair bit on identification costs by just reading the tomes at that level of ID, confident that I know it is Good aligned based on the sell/identify price in the store. Indeed on that very basis just increased Dexterity from 19 to 20 by reading a semi-identified Tome of Agility using that method.
- Demoted to Nomad level 18 and 225 HP after forfeiting the Silver Cross quest. This is certainly an exercise in patience.
- Gained 10 HP going back up to Nomad level 19. Perhaps this Snakes and Ladders style grinding is worth it after all!
- Had a pair of Scavengers offer to join on Dungeon level 2. Straight to the confinement they went. Slave trading seems quite a profitable activity in Mordor.
- Gained another 11 HP when I reached level 21. This quest forfeiting exploit certainly pays off if you're persistent enough to go with it.
- Reached Nomad level 21 again...and quested for a Prism of Sanctuary. This is getting a tad absurd now. Then again 254 HP isn't to be sniffed at, I suppose.

I'll likely be playing some more later on today once real-life distractions have been suitably dealt with smile.gif

--------------------

+Quote Post
BLauritson
post Dec 22 2018, 04:17 PM
Post #9

Lord Fnorgle

22/12/18 Part 2

- Forfeited down to level 18 and 241 HP. In two minds whether to sell most of the Evil tomes I currently have in the bank in order to fund bulk re-alignment of the Evil tomes of Learning and Insight I currently have to ramp up Gnumen's spellcasting capabilities. It means faster grinding but Learning and Insight tomes don't seem to come along so often for me...decisions decisions. It's really a question of what do I wait for - enough gold to realign everything I have, or finding the tomes I actually need for this character.
- Safely made it to Nomad level 21 and didn't get quested - woohoo! Now at 272 HP. I might do a parody of Mordor levelling one day and call it HP Quest.
- Surpassed 300 HP at Nomad level 25 - now have 309 HP. Contrast this with Gundya v2 who had 6 Con and fulfilled all his Nomad quests where possible...who has a mere 184 HP. Perhaps all this effort is worth it after all. Also I think Gundya v2 lost a bit of HP and Con through draining and resurrection respectively.
- Finally saved up enough to re-align some Evil tomes. Did this for a set of two Tomes of Learning, which means I can FINALLY charm humanoids and undead now. At least I'll be able to recover my investment more quickly now by restocking the slave compound confinement with more creatures.
- As a result of the above, I've just learned the hard way that slaves are worth absolutely zilch when selling them. And yet the confinement charges a whole 13 gold to buy one. THIRTEEN GOLD?! That's robbery.
- I must say though, companion grinding is a hell of a lot more fun now that I can charm almost every monster on DL 1. Found it a bit tedious previously when I could only charm insects or animals, but now that I'm charming and selling everything my gold is suddenly skyrocketing compared to before (OK so I'm still only at 632k as I write this but it's still a lot faster than I was earning before this). It also helps having high enough Int and Wis to fully identify all the monsters I'm charming, meaning I can sell them for full price at the confinement without losing money on identification costs. Unlike some items, it seems all monsters will sell for a higher price than just their original offer plus the identification costs. At least that's true for all the ones I've sold thus far anyway.
- At Nomad level 28 and the same stats as before, all items I pick up from DL 1 are now automatically identified at the penultimate level which is very useful. For one, cursed items can be sold at their greatest profit, and in all other respects it's just nice knowing specifically what item I have so that I can make more informed choices about banking/using/selling without spending so much on ID costs. My enjoyment of the game has just increased immensely.
- Made it to level 30 at last! ... of course I have been quested at level 30, which begs the question...do I grind and forfeit in order to gain even more HP? Oh sod it, why not? It's not like 356 HP at Nomad level 30 is plenty anyway tongue.gif Of course I am quested for an I'ssus so again, as with the Gredlan Rogue, I must be careful not to kill one by mistake. Combat default to "Defend" it is then!
- It is done - demoted to Nomad level 27, HP reduced to 342. I'll keep doing this until I reach level 30 without being quested, at which point I'm leaving Nomad behind to concentrate on Mage instead. Eventually I'll also join and level Paladin for the fighting ability but that's low priority at present.
- Got quested again at Nomad 28, this time to defeat a Rowdy. Oh well, more HP for the grinder.
- Down to Nomad 25 again with 340 HP. Going to resume Mage levelling for the time being to get the spell costs down and increase the range of Charm spells available before resuming the infinite Nomad grind.

--------------------

+Quote Post
korexus
post Dec 22 2018, 09:11 PM
Post #10

Explorer

Member No.: 4,011
referrer:Google Search

QUOTE (BLauritson @ Dec 22 2018, 04:17 PM) *
- As a result of the above, I've just learned the hard way that slaves are worth absolutely zilch when selling them. And yet the confinement charges a whole 13 gold to buy one. THIRTEEN GOLD?! That's robbery.

Check out the cost to realign them. sneaky.gif

Sounds like you're having fun. I have a few days off over Christmas/New Year, maybe I should break out a party too.

+Quote Post
Roland
post Dec 23 2018, 06:38 AM
Post #11

Fighter

The quest parameter for Nomads is supposedly just 20%, but it sounds like you're running at around 30%. My Gnome gets quested more than my Dwarves. That is to be expected in the Paladin guild, but he seems to get extra quests from his other guilds as well.

+Quote Post
BLauritson
post Dec 23 2018, 09:09 AM
Post #12

Lord Fnorgle

QUOTE (korexus @ Dec 22 2018, 09:11 PM) *
Check out the cost to realign them. sneaky.gif

Sounds like you're having fun. I have a few days off over Christmas/New Year, maybe I should break out a party too.

Before I actually found out what the cost was, thinking it was going to be something silly like 27 gold, I was planning to write an equally facetious reaction based on that.

Now that I've seen what it ACTUALLY costs...hmm...it would certainly negate any gold problems I've had thus far, but I think I prefer more legitimate methods of obtaining gold for the time being. Even so though...good to know sneaky.gif

QUOTE (Roland @ Dec 23 2018, 06:38 AM) *
The quest parameter for Nomads is supposedly just 20%, but it sounds like you're running at around 30%. My Gnome gets quested more than my Dwarves. That is to be expected in the Paladin guild, but he seems to get extra quests from his other guilds as well.

Curious, yes I thought that Nomad was supposed to be questing less than what it has been for me, but then again it could just be the whims of the RNG which, in my experience, rarely conforms to its intended statistical distribution (not just in Mordor but in most games that use the default RNG function of whatever programming language they're using). Then again it's not truly random anyway so perhaps that's to be expected smile.gif

--------------------

+Quote Post
BLauritson
post Dec 23 2018, 09:37 PM
Post #13

Lord Fnorgle

And now for the latest essay:

22/12/18 Part 3

- Only downside to levelling in Mage is that I can't equip the Iron Helmet which was giving me +1 to Intelligence, thereby enabling me to cast the Charm Undead spell. Luckily found a Good-aligned Tome of Learning shortly after I realised this so that problem is now solved.
- Upon reaching Mage level 11 I was quested for a Twisted Dwarf. Fortunately for my sanity I'm actually intending to complete the Mage quests.
- Even more fortunately for my sanity I actually completed it. Was slightly unnerved when a Pseudo Dragon spawned in their normal breeding ground (which made for some funny looking dwarves), but luckily they appeared there around 4,000 experience before pinning so all is well.
- Reached Mage level 15 and resumed Nomad again. Quested at level 28...Hiksae. Patience is a virtue, allegedly.
- And I accidentally completed my quest. Oh well, probably for the best I suppose!
- OK, quested again at Nomad 29 for a Brown Cloak. Fortunately I'm not wearing one so I can deliberately fail this quest.
- Back down to Nomad 26 with 362 HP. I wonder if I'll reach 400 HP by Nomad 30?

23/12/18

- FINALLY MADE IT TO NOMAD 30 WITHOUT BEING QUESTED! Woohoo! Final HP is 397, so not quite the 400 I was hoping for above but that doesn't matter now smile.gif
- Going to start levelling Paladin now for the fighting skills and do this alongside Mage as and when I deem it necessary. Since I'm no longer intending to forfeit any quests (unless I receive a near-impossible one) this will also let me alternate between the guilds if I'm stuck on one guild's quest, to improve my chances of completing it successfully. Also need to hunt for one more Tome of Endurance for Nothrya as I've found very few of those lately.
- Got quested at Paladin level 10 for an Enchanter. Should be easy enough.
- Fulfilled the enchanter quest, levelled up...and got quested again. This time for a zombie.
- Fulfilled the zombie quest and was thankfully not quested again on Paladin level 12. Perhaps the RNG does have some mercy after all?
- Next quest was at level 15 for a Rowdy. At least the Paladin quests are achievable thus far..
- Finally found a Tome of Endurance from a pair of Hiksae in the eastern stud room on DL 1. Turns out to be evil-aligned, surprise sur-friggin'-prise, but I've enough gold to realign to Neutral so it's time to bring Nothrya on board now. The girl's already got maximum Dexterity from the hordes of neutral-aligned Tomes of Agility I've encountered along my dungeon forays and nearly maximum Intelligence also.
- Contrary to my earlier assessment of the Paladin guild offering easy quests, Gnumen pinned without finding one. Switching to Mage until then. Meanwhile Nothrya is progressing quickly and having Gnumen around to heal her minor injuries is making things a lot easier also. Despite the sluggishness of this approach to party building I think I'm going to have a much easier time of it all when I do start venturing into the deeper dungeons.
- Found a Rowdy while levelling up in Mage, thankfully managed to back out before we automatically attacked it as it was hostile. Switched to Paladin and completed the quest, so Gnumen is now a level 16 Paladin. Going to continue levelling in Mage for the time being though for improved spellcasting.
- Nothrya is now Nomad level 9 and has the stats to join both Thief and Healer...question is which one to start off with? Which is the more expensive to join later? I suspect Healer which would mean that's a more logical first choice since the first guild is free...OK Healer it is then. And now I can't afford to join the Thief guild. Oh well, only a couple of million away from it...at least Nothrya has a damage spell now anyway, should make Nomad levelling a little faster (not that it's slow at the moment, quite the contrary).
- Quite astonished at how quickly stronger monsters are falling to this two-person party. Nothrya has Cause Wounds buffered (only SL 1 but still enough to do some reasonable damage) and two groups of 3 Disciples each on DL 2 were falling in just a few rounds, much quicker than if it was Gnumen on his own trying to melee and Dazzle them. Quite funny to press 'F' to fight a friendly monster and just see them disappear immediately from the screen. I'm starting to get a feel for how it all works now, running a party. Also feels like Gnumen is taking Nothrya dungeon-crawling with him even though she's the leader, like he's showing her how it all works and providing support from the back as she hacks and blasts the monsters to death. Cute.
- Nothrya got her first quest at Nomad level 12. Planning to do the same Snakes and Ladders grindfest as Gnumen, but first I want to get her Healer levels up for better spellcasting (she already has Int/Wis of 22/16 so she is more than capable of it).
- Thinking about it, I made the right choice going for Healer first due to the experience requirements and the spellcasting capabilities that Nothrya is gaining. As much as I'm sorely missing Charm of Opening right now, it can wait. Sadly she's just been quested at Healer level 5 for a Hiksae. Oh well, might find one in our extensive dungeon travels now.
- Yay, found one and killed it. Healer quest completed!
- Earned enough gold to join the Thief guild now, but want to get to Healer 7 first before doing so. Not too far away now though. Charm of Opening here I come!
- Typical, pin on Healer level 7 so that I can breeze through level 8 to get the next set of spells and level, only to be quested. It's for a Twisted Dwarf though so should be easy enough.
- It was easy enough, they were in the usual place on DL 1. Healer level 9 is reached, and Nothrya is now a Thief. Charm of Opening here I---oh, I already said that.
- Excellent, finally got Charm of Opening...and Nothrya's Strength is two points too low to cast it. Dangnammit! Always the goal posts are moving ever ahead. Oh well, grind games by their very nature require patience to get the most out of them anyway, so I shall continue along this path and do what needs to be done. Mind you I might as well continue levelling Nomad now though to get the HP up while I wait to find two more Tomes of Might.
- Found a Dalyn's Smile on DL 2...I definitely remember the name but can't for the life of me remember what it's for, nor does the Info screen for the item provide any hints. Oh well, it's 809k in the bank for selling the first one. Next I'll find out it's an amazing and wonderful item I never should have sold, but oh well.
- Reached Nomad level 13 this time before being quested again. On the plus side levelling is ridiculously fast for Nothrya right now, so much so that I've promoted Gnumen to party leader so he can actually make some headway into his Mage levelling! This is good fun though, learning a lot from playing as a two-person party.
- Found a Good-aligned Tome of Might which I chose to re-align to Neutral for Nothrya. Completely forgot in the process that that was what was holding me back from casting CoO. Oh well, just cast it for my very first time with these characters. Got me 6.8k gold. Impressive. I remember when I was still new to Mordor and I thought there was something majorly special about Magically Locked chests. So one day I saved up enough to buy a Key of Opening from the store, and went and found one of these Magically Locked™ chests. Oh how disappointed I was to see how little it was worth for what I'd paid for the key. Oh well, live and learn.
- Got Nothrya to Nomad level 20 and also picked up my first White Sash so I'll have to remember to actually use that when I encounter some tougher combats. Until then, I think I'm all Mordored out for one day smile.gif

--------------------

+Quote Post
Roland
post Dec 24 2018, 06:16 PM
Post #14

Fighter

Dalyn's Smile fills your Artifact slot - and does nothing else whatsoever.

+Quote Post
BLauritson
post Dec 24 2018, 09:51 PM
Post #15

Lord Fnorgle

Fair enough, I'll just treat it as selling fodder in the future then smile.gif

--------------------

+Quote Post
fischsemmel
post Dec 24 2018, 10:09 PM
Post #16

Vagabond

When do you think you'll end up with the full party adventuring together?

I think you're probably doing a good thing with the quest forfeits for you guys. When I played a non-legacy party, I followed optimal leveling route as best I could but I don't think any of my characters were at max con by the time they finished it, and I didn't forfeit any quests. They ended up doing fine on the bottom level of the dungeon with around 700 hp each. I think the full party spreads out attacks enough that you don't lose someone too often. But I seem to recall having issues with the insta-death monsters you find on earlier levels when I first ran into them because of the relatively low HP numbers my guys had.

+Quote Post
BLauritson
post Dec 24 2018, 11:32 PM
Post #17

Lord Fnorgle

As soon as either of the other two earn maximum Con I'll add them to my party and focus on their levelling that way smile.gif Mythraxa has already reached maximum dexterity so I know now any good-aligned Tomes of Agility can be sold to the store for extra profit. Unfortunately Tomes of Endurance are dropping quite rarely for me at the moment so I'm getting their Con up quite slowly so far.

I must admit I am finding already that with the two party members they're both getting hit less frequently than they would solo due to having only half the chances to actually be hit in the first place.

To be fair I probably could just add them both to the party now and have an easy enough time of it, but with all the time I've invested so far into building up Gnumen and Nothrya to get maximum HP it feels like a waste to not then do the same for the remaining two.

And now for the final Christmas Eve update:

24/12/18

- Decided now the most efficient setup for the current levels is to make Nothrya party leader again and have her cast Cause Wounds as her combat default, with Gnumen in second position casting Dazzle. That way it weakens up the stronger enemies making Dazzle more likely to succeed and thus hopefully speeding up his level progression. Saying that, it no longer feels like Gnumen is guiding Nothrya through the dungeon like before. Now they wander the halls as equals. How quickly she has grown :fatherlypride:.
- Thought it would be a nice idea to try out a stud room on DL 2. Encountered three Munsae. OUCH! Draining hurts :'(. Nothrya lost a point of Con and Gnumen lost a point of Dexterity. Ended up wasting money buying and realigning evil tomes to fix this.
- Nothrya has now reached Nomad level 30 with a final HP of 378. Which of course isn't the end of it because Osiris can join the Wizard guild. Still need three more neutral Tomes of Insight first though before she can join them. In the meantime levelling Healer so that will probably mean earning about twenty tomes in the time it takes to reach level 30.
- Got the Resist Drain spell now, albeit for almost a third of Nothrya's SP. Still, if it allows forays into DL 3 then I'll make the sacrifice.
- Just made my first foray into DL 3 with these characters using the shortest route I know (SW stairs down to DL2, then up through the secret door to the middle stairs down to DL3). Already got some of the level mapped out from my non-legacy Giant Grogbog's excursions but there's a great deal to be explored yet. Anyway, descend into the first room and we encounter ants. Gnumen pins almost straight away. Next time I should keep an eye on experience to pin for both characters instead of manipulating my party structure to save 60 SP on Resist Draining only to then return straight back to town again. Oh well, it's not a big deal.
- Another foray into DL3 with draining resistance. Encountered a pair of Munsae and they fell to our opening blast of spells. That'll teach 'em. Also got pinned at Healer 11 because Nothrya needs to kill an Orc. Hmm...time for some Thief levels in the meantime. Also Gnumen got Mage quested twice in a row, first for a Kyu Yetro (easy) and next for a Padded Leather Armour. Well, already got one in the inventory so that's handy!
- Curses! Found a pair of Orcs on DL 1 and killed them as a Thief. Gah!
- Excellent, found a pair of Orcs leading a group of 10 slaves. This time successfully backed away and re-acquainted with Healer before going back to slay them. Gnumen had a little cannibalistic feast on the Dazzled slaves.
- Up to Healer 13 for Nothrya which gives her Raise Dead and Restoration, neither of which she can cast yet due to stat requirements. Same goes for Cause Fatal Wounds. Love how Healers are trained mass murderers in this game. Going to back to Thief for a little bit though just to ramp up the thieving ability and reduce Charm of Opening's spell cost.
- Explored some more DL3. Suddenly thought to cast Feather Essence while I was there and I'm glad I did. Two pits in a corridor followed by a "There is a chute here. Select TAKE to use" message. OH HOW GLAD I AM THAT LEVITATION DID NOT FAIL!
- Obliterated a group of ants and earned 6,666 gold for it. The devil smiles upon me this Christmas Eve.
- Mage Questmaster at level 29 has quested Gnumen for a set of Iron Bracers. The only set I've ever found are currently equipped by him. Now I'm sad. Still, I'd rather accept and lose the 3/3 A/D and point of Strength than have to climb my way back up the Mage levels again. They take long enough as it is. So that's what I did. I accepted. Now I'm sulking by levelling in Paladin for a while.
- A footpad on DL1 offered to join. I melee attacked with Nothrya and she Backstabbed it. How fitting.
- Well that's about it for now. Best get myself to bed before Santa breaks into my home and unloads his sack all over my bed. Just kidding, I live alone so he won't visit me tonight. He's a strange one, that man.

Anywho, hope you all enjoy the festive season and may it be full of Mordor!

--------------------

+Quote Post
fischsemmel
post Dec 25 2018, 02:00 AM
Post #18

Vagabond

laugh.gif. I seem to recall using like half of my sorcerer's spell points every trip into the dungeon just casting resists and such. One of my favorite things of going solo is NOT casting 25 buffs every time I walk down the first steps.

Eventually though you'll be able to blast through the first two floors with melee alone instantly resolving because of your targeting your back character, and farm up enough tomes and potions and aards that it's no big deal to get drained some.

+Quote Post
Mordion
post Dec 25 2018, 05:53 PM
Post #19

Vagabond

Member No.: 3,924
referrer:The Super Seer

QUOTE (fischsemmel @ Dec 24 2018, 09:00 PM) *
laugh.gif. I seem to recall using like half of my sorcerer's spell points every trip into the dungeon just casting resists and such. One of my favorite things of going solo is NOT casting 25 buffs every time I walk down the first steps.

Eventually though you'll be able to blast through the first two floors with melee alone instantly resolving because of your targeting your back character, and farm up enough tomes and potions and aards that it's no big deal to get drained some.

There’s a nice loop you can take soon. Go to the goblin goblin shaman on 3 for an Aard and then taking the nearby chute to level 5 which is close to a cockatrice lair for a second chance at an aard then fight your way to the twisted elf for rings then go up the stairs near the flame dragon on 4 for amulets and back to the surface.

+Quote Post
BLauritson
post Dec 25 2018, 06:34 PM
Post #20

Lord Fnorgle

QUOTE (Mordion @ Dec 25 2018, 05:53 PM) *
There’s a nice loop you can take soon. Go to the goblin goblin shaman on 3 for an Aard and then taking the nearby chute to level 5 which is close to a cockatrice lair for a second chance at an aard then fight your way to the twisted elf for rings then go up the stairs near the flame dragon on 4 for amulets and back to the surface.

Excellent, thanks, that's really good to know smile.gif

--------------------

+Quote Post

3 Pages V   1 2 3 >
Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 19th June 2019 - 10:09 PM
Bridged By IpbWiki: Integration Of Invision Power Board and MediaWiki © GlobalSoft
Copyrights and Credits