> Solo Evil Morloch
Roland
post Dec 10 2018, 10:22 PM
Post #1

Soldier

Group: Members Plus
Member No.: 8,408
referrer:Google

The recent action in the forum mostly concerns the MythrilZenith's solo good elf and fischsemmel's solo osiri. This inspired me to start my own solo character.

My three-man party consists of two dwarves and a good gnome. That means I have a lot of evil stats saved up, and a lot of unused evil equipment, so the alignment choice was easy. While I like the idea of running a Villain, there is one huge problem with the guild: For some reason, DA chose to remove Charm of Opening from its spell list. (In Avatar, Villains are an excellent all-around solo class, in part because they can cast Charm of Opening. But in larger part because they can be giants.) I thought about using an editor to "fix" the guild, but I decided instead to level in both Warrior and Scavenger.

The only races that can be evil and level in both Warrior and spellcasting guilds are human and morloch. The big weakness of morlochs is their low constitution. But they have good strength and dexterity, and they live longer than humans. Morlochs are also 95% resistant to paralysis, which is obviously useful for a solo character. With the advantages of a legacy character, a morloch should be playable.

I plan to level him in Warrior, Scavenger, Sorcerer, and Mage, plus a bit of Nomad. Since the dungeon is already mapped, I think I can get by without Seeker, though I might change my mind if I get tired of walking up from the depths. This combination of guilds will give him all the skills of a Villain. I guess I'm building a super-Villain a la carte!

This combination of guilds, along with his evil alignment and low constitution, reminded me of Elric of Melnibone. So I named him Aelric. To compensate for his legacy advantages and to round out his character, he will use only edged weapons - no maces, hammers, or staves. I'll decide later whether to use an editor to give him guild crests. Without cheating, the only guild crest he would get is Scavenger since I have high-level characters in the other guilds.

After one day, Aelric is already at Warrior 13, Scavenger 8, Nomad 8. I want to get him to a high enough level to use a steel dagger before I start advancing in the spellcasting guilds. He is averaging just over 10 hits per level. I've abused the quest-forfeit bug twice so far, but with just 20 con that doesn't provide a huge advantage.

One disappointing bug: When he equipped Dalyn's Tear, his paralysis resistance dropped from 95% to 90%.
Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post
fischsemmel
post Dec 10 2018, 11:14 PM
Post #2

Voyager

Member No.: 6,580
referrer:Search engine

Nice! Every day I play my osiri, I find myself wanting to play a good or evil character because I've got a thing for mages... laugh.gif.

Do you think you'll be using a lot of healing items? When I've considered this, the crippling spell cost of even minor heal until you get dozens of levels seems to make healing that way before taking the stairs a no-go, and later it seems like trying to "top off" someone with 600+ hp using an 8-mana Heal won't work too well either! And what about resurrecting and/or healing companions? Just the morgue, or using items/spells?

On the note of items, does your neutral party have rings of teleport and a lot of gold? That'd help reduce the annoyance of no seeker levels.

This post has been edited by fischsemmel: Dec 10 2018, 11:23 PM

+Quote Post
Roland
post Dec 11 2018, 01:32 AM
Post #3

Soldier

QUOTE (fischsemmel @ Dec 10 2018, 06:14 PM) *
Do you think you'll be using a lot of healing items? When I've considered this, the crippling spell cost of even minor heal until you get dozens of levels seems to make healing that way before taking the stairs a no-go, and later it seems like trying to "top off" someone with 600+ hp using an 8-mana Heal won't work too well either! And what about resurrecting and/or healing companions? Just the morgue, or using items/spells?

I have a LOT of healing items stored up, and I'll probably make use of them while they last. But I won't heal up completely after each trip unless I have leftover spell points.

As for companions, I'll probably treat them as disposable. My Gnome Paladin/Mage spends most of his spell points keeping his Golden Eagles and Lamurian Warriors healed and bound, but I doubt I'll be able to use that strategy with a solo character.

I also have a lot of sashes. I'll probably make extensive use of attack spells from sashes.

QUOTE (fischsemmel @ Dec 10 2018, 06:14 PM) *
On the note of items, does your neutral party have rings of teleport and a lot of gold? That'd help reduce the annoyance of no seeker levels.

My neutral party includes a Seeker/Thief/Sorcerer. (He's the one who mapped the dungeon.) He spends most of his spell points opening boxes, displacing back to the party after blowing a teleport trap, and teleporting out of the dungeon. For the rare occasion when he runs out of spell points (usually after blowing a fate trap), he carries a Cube of Teleporting.

A solo character won't need to worry about rejoining his party if he blows a teleport trap. But I will avoid teleport traps on levels I have not finished mapping. As for getting out of the dungeon, it might be a long time before I need to worry about it.

I can't wait to reach Nomad 19, when I'll be able to equip Cloak of Night!

+Quote Post
Roland
post Dec 17 2018, 05:14 PM
Post #4

Soldier

After reaching Warrior 28, Aelric has 280 hits. Not bad for Morloch! He is at level 26 in Scavenger and Nomad, and level 19 in Mage and Sorcerer. All stats are maxed except charisma.

Next I'll continue to focus on Nomad and Scavenger for a while - Nomad for hits, A/D, and perception, Scavenger for cheaper C/O.

+Quote Post
Roland
post Dec 24 2018, 07:00 PM
Post #5

Soldier

I binged over the weekend and put lots of levels on Aelric. He is now at level 50 in Scavenger, 33 in Warrior and Nomad, and 29 in Mage and Sorcerer. He has 333 hits, all stats are maxed, and he is 16 years old.

Even with maxed stats, he lacks sufficient charisma to cast Soul Entrapment. Fortunately there are items that cast the spell, and they don't require high charisma.

I have been finding healing items faster than I've been using them, so the high cost of the Mage guild's healing spells has not been a problem so far.

My most-used offensive spell is Dazzle, which can take out rooms full of slaves, ants, or mosquitoes quickly and cheaply. For tougher encounters, I have a White Sash.

The few times I've tried charming monsters, they promptly died or ran away. Finding friends is not easy for an evil Morloch!

Aelric borrowed 40 million gold from one of my high-level characters earlier, but now he has paid it all back. Hunting Firagons is lucrative!

+Quote Post
fischsemmel
post Dec 24 2018, 10:06 PM
Post #6

Voyager

QUOTE (Roland @ Dec 24 2018, 02:00 PM) *
Even with maxed stats, he lacks sufficient charisma to cast Soul Entrapment. Fortunately there are items that cast the spell, and they don't require high charisma.

I have been finding healing items faster than I've been using them, so the high cost of the Mage guild's healing spells has not been a problem so far.

I've always kind of wondered how a morloch would do as a mage with that low charisma. I've never played a mage enough to have an idea of how much charisma affects bind decay rates, monster join rates, etc., or which spells you would even be able to cast before finding a lot of +charisma gear (looking at you, blessings of morash).

It's nice that you're finding enough healing stuff! I forget there's a lot of potions and dusts and stuff on the first few floors that can carry you quite a ways if you don't just sell 9+ to the shop like I usually do!

+Quote Post
Roland
post Dec 26 2018, 10:33 PM
Post #7

Soldier

To the extent that charisma matters, it is almost always natural charisma that the game uses. If item bonuses have any affect, it is only on the chance of monsters offering to join.

+Quote Post
BLauritson
post Dec 26 2018, 11:11 PM
Post #8

Lord Fnorgle

Group: Admin
Member No.: 9
referrer:Let's see.. I can't remember now, it was too long ago.

Does that include for spell casting requirements? I know that for other stats (Intelligence and Wisdom at least) the game uses the natural stat plus any item bonuses when determining whether the spell can be cast.

--------------------

+Quote Post
Nudibranch
post Dec 27 2018, 04:00 AM
Post #9

Fire Master

Group: Mordor MP Prog
Member No.: 71
referrer:search

QUOTE (Roland @ Dec 26 2018, 05:33 PM) *
To the extent that charisma matters, it is almost always natural charisma that the game uses. If item bonuses have any affect, it is only on the chance of monsters offering to join.

I thought it was the other way around. Despite having 15 Blessings, I don't think monsters offered to join more often. But I think you can meet spell requirements with item-adjusted stats.

--------------------
I would have started with lasers. Eight o'clock. Day one.

+Quote Post
Roland
post Dec 27 2018, 09:30 PM
Post #10

Soldier

QUOTE (Nudibranch @ Dec 26 2018, 11:00 PM) *
I thought it was the other way around. Despite having 15 Blessings, I don't think monsters offered to join more often. But I think you can meet spell requirements with item-adjusted stats.

You are probably right. Here is what grobblewobble wrote on the subject: "having your charisma item-boosted does make it a little harder for companions to break bind levels. It can sometimes also help to meet the minimum stat requirements for a spell. As an example, a morloch mage can't cast the soul entrapment spell without a charisma boosting item."

If true, that is good news. Maybe Aelric will eventually be able to cast Soul Entrapment after all! It looks like Ring of Spendour + Medallion of Dragons would do the trick.

+Quote Post
fischsemmel
post Dec 28 2018, 03:01 PM
Post #11

Voyager

QUOTE (Roland @ Dec 27 2018, 04:30 PM) *
You are probably right. Here is what grobblewobble wrote on the subject: "having your charisma item-boosted does make it a little harder for companions to break bind levels. It can sometimes also help to meet the minimum stat requirements for a spell. As an example, a morloch mage can't cast the soul entrapment spell without a charisma boosting item."

If true, that is good news. Maybe Aelric will eventually be able to cast Soul Entrapment after all! It looks like Ring of Spendour + Medallion of Dragons would do the trick.

Don't forget about twisted bracers. Great defense, fire resistance, easy to get and wear, AND 2 charisma!

+Quote Post
Roland
post Dec 31 2018, 07:48 PM
Post #12

Soldier

After another weekend of binging, Aelric reached level 55 in Scavenger and level 45 in all four other guilds. He is now Master of the Scavenger Guild. The crest looks very useful: +2 Str, +3 Dex, and 6 charges of Charm of Opening. Since it might be the only crest he will ever get, I'm glad it's a good one.

My only difficulty was a Tengu quest. After hitting most of the rooms on 1 and 2 where they can appear, I resorted to buying the only Tengu in confinement. I grabbed and buffered a Rod of Entrapment, and I was able to release and charm the Tengu to fulfill the quest. I then promptly sold it back into confinement.

When I encountered Lynch Demon near the 3-4 stairs, I went back up to 3 and grabbed some Goblin Guards. They managed to kill LD, but two of the three GGs died in the process and the third was badly mangled.

Aelric has traded in his White Sash for a Purple Sash. Now I need to figure out whether there are any dragons worth charming. The Firagons and Pelagons that I've been slaying seem to die pretty easily, so I'm sure they would not last long as companions. If I can't find dragons tough enough to work as companions, I'll probably just go back to the White Sash.

With my three-character party, I never bothered with companions until I started running 11 and 12, so I don't know much about what companions are good at lower levels. Any suggestions?

I think I'll continue leveling in Scavenger for now. With the crest I think I can run 5 safely, and the 6 charges of CoO will allow me to extend my runs. Maybe I'll try charming Black Pelagons in their lair on 6.

Soon I'll get Delvar's War Axe! I'm also looking forward to wielding a Dominator. By the time I found my first Dominator, my Paladin could wield better weapons, so I've never used one. To this day, I have yet to find a neutral-aligned Dominator. But I have an evil one in storage that's never been used.

+Quote Post
Nudibranch
post Dec 31 2018, 09:28 PM
Post #13

Fire Master

I favor companions with high HP. At low dungeon levels, that means Dungeonweed and Giant Slug. On 6, Black Pelagons should be good; Blue Pelagons almost as good. Champions (from 6) have great A/D and hits. Butchers from 7 are even better, and easy to find.

--------------------

+Quote Post
Roland
post Jan 2 2019, 11:45 PM
Post #14

Soldier

I hit the dragon room on 6 looking for Pelagon companions. The first time I charmed one Black Pelagon. It died shortly thereafter when I tried to run through a room full of Leeches. On my second attempt, I charmed three Blue Pelagons. One of them promptly left me, but I got back to town with the other two. I sold one to confinement and cast Domination on the other. I still have that one.

I'm still not sure it's worthwhile, however. It requires a lot of healing, which slows me down.

+Quote Post
fischsemmel
post Jan 5 2019, 04:02 AM
Post #15

Voyager

So it's never really terribly realistic to keep more than one companion long term right? Because unless you can keep them alive, you lose them when a 2nd dies and you can only carry one at a time (or not even one sometimes, like with a lava giant or something)... right?

I feel like sometimes I am in town with multiple dead companions still in tow somehow though. I don't understand this mage stuff, laugh.gif

+Quote Post
BLauritson
post Jan 5 2019, 10:28 AM
Post #16

Lord Fnorgle

Group: Admin
Member No.: 9
referrer:Let's see.. I can't remember now, it was too long ago.

QUOTE (fischsemmel @ Jan 5 2019, 04:02 AM) *
I feel like sometimes I am in town with multiple dead companions still in tow somehow though. I don't understand this mage stuff, laugh.gif

I have noticed there does seem to be a bug where dead companions can't be dropped - it happened on my first mage run and I ended up using an editor to remove them and I found it again since with my current party build.

One way to fix that without an editor, if you have the gold to spare, is to have them resurrected at the morgue (one of the many things I only found out you can do on this more recent run! Always assumed the morgue was for characters only). You can then either sell them or carry on adventuring as you choose. I presume by the same token the Raise Dead/Resurrect spells would work in the same way?

--------------------

+Quote Post
MythrilZenith
post Jan 6 2019, 01:48 AM
Post #17

Explorer

Member No.: 6,867
referrer:A google-search for Mordor: Depths of Dejenol maps led me here!

Ooh, Morloch is a race I've never played before. As a kid, they couldn't ever reach any good classes with base stats (and the idea of legacy characters never occurred to me at the time), and as an experienced player their stats just kind of turn me off. They aren't particularly good at anything unique, and have the lowest Con by far? Yeah, I always wondered why they even existed as playable. I hope you're having fun with the run, though!

Glad to see other people taking on the solo character thing, though. I've found that it's a lot less intimidating to run a solo character, because each run into the dungeon can be pretty short, and I don't feel like I have to constantly monitor a ton of stuff. It's a lazy way to play mordor, which is kind of relaxing.

For companions, so far in the mid levels I've found Sorcerers to be some of the better ones available. They're pretty common in the stairs rooms in the lower-left of floor 5. I just like magic-casting companions, because companions don't tend to hit you with spells like they do with breath or physical attacks, and Sorcerers in particular can throw fire, ice and lightning spells to pretty decent effect. They can die quickly if you don't kill rooms in a single blast, though.

This post has been edited by MythrilZenith: Jan 6 2019, 01:52 AM

--------------------
Just an average nomad trying to figure out how Mordor really works.

I've also taken the liberty of recording some videos of Mordor: Depths of Dejenol!

Classics are classic, but never mistake nostalgia for superiority. When older is better, it's because it truly is, not just because our perception of it makes it so.

+Quote Post
Roland
post Jan 7 2019, 04:43 PM
Post #18

Soldier

QUOTE (MythrilZenith @ Jan 5 2019, 08:48 PM) *
Ooh, Morloch is a race I've never played before. As a kid, they couldn't ever reach any good classes with base stats (and the idea of legacy characters never occurred to me at the time), and as an experienced player their stats just kind of turn me off. They aren't particularly good at anything unique, and have the lowest Con by far? Yeah, I always wondered why they even existed as playable.

Of all the races that can join spellcasting guilds, Morlochs have the highest strength - and the second-highest dexterity, after Osiris. Also, I wanted an evil character, which limited my racial choices.

All the races in Mordor were inherited from Avatar - and the base stats are mostly the same, though there are a few odd exceptions. The only Avatar race missing from Mordor is Cirilian.

One of the intersting things about Morlochs in Avatar is that they were the only playable race with the water-breathing ability. So they could survive in water rooms without Levitate.

+Quote Post
Nudibranch
post Jan 7 2019, 08:26 PM
Post #19

Fire Master

QUOTE (Roland @ Jan 7 2019, 11:43 AM) *
One of the intersting things about Morlochs in Avatar is that they were the only playable race with the water-breathing ability. So they could survive in water rooms without Levitate.

It's funny how an ability that would be so powerful in the real world is so mundane in a game where items or spells confer it trivially.

Although as it so happens I can See Invisible. There just aren't any invisible things to see.

--------------------

+Quote Post
Roland
post Jan 14 2019, 04:58 PM
Post #20

Soldier

Aelric has reached level 85 in Scavenger, plus 65 in Nomad and Warrior, and 55 in Mage and Sorcerer. Finally exceeded 400 hits. And have 164 million gold in the bank.

Now wielding the Dominator in all his fighting guilds, and the Cross of Commanding in the spellcasting guilds. Levels come fast while wielding the cross!

I charmed a pair of Black Pelagons last night. I hit each with a charge from my Tome of Binding, which raised their bind level from 6 to 8. But they kept breaking away and attacking - and they attacked each other, not Aelric. Eventually the weaker one killed the stronger. When I got back to town I immediately sold it. I'm giving up on the Purple Sash - its charm isn't strong enough to hold a dragon worth keeping. I can use Static Sash in some guilds now, anyway.

When equipped with Amulet of Flames and Twisted Bracers, I can cast Soul Entrapment. It still costs too much to use regularly, but I used it to grab a couple of devils to finish off Lynch Demon - and then sold them to confinement for a nice profit.

On Saturday I ran my high-level party for the first time in weeks. The Paladin was quested for a Blue Gremlin - and still is, despite hitting most of the mythical-spawning rooms on 10-15. His Golden Eagle companions were unusually restless, so he burned up his spell points keeping them bound. The Seeker was the only one to make level, and now he's quested for a Wererat.

+Quote Post

3 Pages V   1 2 3 >
Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 18th August 2019 - 08:20 PM
Bridged By IpbWiki: Integration Of Invision Power Board and MediaWiki © GlobalSoft
Copyrights and Credits