> A virgin, solo game
fischsemmel
post Nov 22 2018, 02:00 AM
Post #1

Vagabond

Group: Members Plus
Member No.: 6,580
referrer:Search engine

To make the most of the optimal leveling route on a brand new file, solo game... do you guys pick starting stats that include high con and just do nomad and/or warrior while you farm tomes, then start new guilds later when you've got most of the first 30 in and have more gold? Or do you only get 10 levels or something before staying pinned while you find a bunch of tomes to raise con? Or say to hell with bonus hits and just walk a razors edge with 200+ fewer hits
than possible? Or what?

Im restarting with a solo osiri to see how I fare with seeker, thief, healer, sorc. I figured I can start with stats that get me into healer immediately so I can level nomad just ahead of healer and use spells to kill and avoid aging, but I'm already 14/14 with only 10 million gold and still at only 10 con ... mostly getting tomes of leadership :-/. I can probably join thief or seeker soon to earn some xp in to delay leveling any guild higher for a whild, but I'm worried I'll end up in the 20s at least before I get my con high enough to get bonus hits.
Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post
Nudibranch
post Nov 22 2018, 06:44 AM
Post #2

Fire Master

Group: Mordor MP Prog
Member No.: 71
referrer:search

Well, the traditional approach is to collect tomes then pass them on to a legacy party. But if you're trying to get high HP on a non-legacy character, there are a few approaches, and you've mentioned most of them.
- Start with max con
- Stay pinned at a low level while farming tomes
- Level other guilds behind your primary to not waste time being pinned

One you left out was
- The bonus HP exploit (try to forfeit quests; you keep any bonus HP you earned as long as all secondary guilds are lower than your primary)

Aging isn't a big issue in the early game. You're not likely to gain more than 5-10 years by returning to town unhealed and that will be fixed with your first Dragon's Blood. So you can save Healer for later. I'd probably go for Thief as my second guilt. Maybe Sorcerer, to level up fast, though you're trying to not do that.

Having 350 HP by the time you reach Nomad 30 is sufficient. 400+ is ample. 250 HP is okay but you'll need to get to guild level 405 to max out your HP for the endgame vs. level 330 if you reached 400 HP by Nomad 30.

Adding the Wizard 41 part of the optimal route will get you about 40 extra HP, but is so grindy I usually skip it.

--------------------
I would have started with lasers. Eight o'clock. Day one.

+Quote Post
fischsemmel
post Nov 22 2018, 11:43 AM
Post #3

Vagabond

Alrighty then, looks like I was pretty on track.

I've never solod seriously before. I've only actually beat the game once, which was with a nonlegacy party a couple years ago. When I started playing again a few days ago I made a legacy dwarf to solo but I realized I was going to get bored before I would win. As much as it pained me to leave my 3 blessings I found with my party unused, having the store and confinement anf bank packed with billions of gold and all the awesome items and companions meant I was just grinding xp and hoping to avoid getting stoned as I followed in the footsteps of my party.

So for a fresh game I did consider high con immediately but it looked miserable to try to get it high at creation without having sub-10 int and wis. I just started up with stats to get into healer immediately and hope I could boost con for bonus hits by 20. I tried to stay at 15 in nomad, healer, and thief while I looked for tomes but after an hour or so I was fed up with that so I started leveling each class 2 at a time. I think I stopped last night at 19s, still at only 12 or 13 con, only having seen 3 con tomes/pots so far. I guess I'm just going to continue as is.... it's not likely I'll be ready to square off with the nasties on 15 before I'm nearly 400 in seeker anyway in a fresh save soloing.

This is a quasi-challenge for me. A virgin install, nonlegacy solo, and without warrior to boot. I already died (green slime!) getting a little ahead of myself, but I'm going to see how few deaths I can manage between 1 and You Know Who.

This post has been edited by fischsemmel: Nov 22 2018, 11:48 AM

+Quote Post
korexus
post Nov 22 2018, 08:03 PM
Post #4

Explorer

Member No.: 4,011
referrer:Google Search

I've only ever played solo characters, and most have been on fresh installs due to the length of time between playing games.

My approach may not be optimal, but I tend to go:
* min CHA
* 10 INT
* 10 WIS
* max CON
* Anything left split between STR and DEX.

Follow the optimal leveling guide, but bring each guild up to the same level as your highest guild periodically. (Note, I've read that with some guild combinations, it can be an incredibly bad idea to do this, but it's never stopped me...)

I also join all guilds as soon as I can, so I usually have something to stick EXP into.

I don't farm tomes or potions, but do use whatever I can (sometimes without identifying all the way, as I tend to play neutral characters). I do farm Aards once I can get them.

Thief is a necessary guild, if only to get Charm of Opening castable. Without that, you can just feel all the goodies you're missing out on!

korexus.

+Quote Post
Grog
post Nov 22 2018, 09:10 PM
Post #5

Mentor

Member No.: 162
referrer: Not since college

^^^All great stuff. Regarding your original post:
ok.gif your choice of Osiri. Never will be a warrior with all the great weapons, true, but the awesome dexterity is a game-changer for a soloist, I believe.

For a fast game, 10-14-13-11-5-13 starting stats will allow you to join Sorcerer immediately. Buffer firebolt and start delving.

Gotta get those Magical Locked chest open soon. Next guild: Scavanger. Cheap to join. levels quickly.

--------------------
It is against your ways to attack a Good companion

+Quote Post
fischsemmel
post Nov 22 2018, 11:33 PM
Post #6

Vagabond

Thanks for the replies!

As a quick update, I buckled down and decided to stay at 19 guild levels max until I got enough con to get bonus hits for the rest of nomad (and then wizard too). I'm most of the way there now, with nomad, seeker, thief, and healer 19 and pinned, and sorcerer now up to 18. I've been storing any tomes I need in the bank so I can combine and realign to save gold. Since I went with osiri and starting stats to let me do healer guild from level 1, I needed a whopping +15 con to max out... laugh.gif.

But yeah, maybe another hour of stomping around level 1 and I'll be ready to realign and spend a year or two reading dusty old tomes by myself in a damp dungeon before I get back to it!

Edit - grog, yeah, the high dex and being just a little bit outside the dwarf box is why I went osiri. Why scavenger though? I figured I'll need seeker high for cheap movement spells, and that'll supply my a/d. Eventually I thought maybe I'd do scavenger for an extra swing but otherwise with seeker and thief adding backstabs, I figured that'd suffice when melee is needed in anti-magic zones or to conserve sp.

This post has been edited by fischsemmel: Nov 22 2018, 11:42 PM

+Quote Post
Grog
post Nov 24 2018, 11:16 PM
Post #7

Mentor

Member No.: 162
referrer: Not since college

^Oh, I agree. No need for Scavenger if you've already got Thief.

But for a brand new file solo game, I focus on getting Charm of Opening as quickly as possible.

So, I choose Scavenger as my third Guild. My record for learning Ch of Op for a new game is 2.34 hrs.

--------------------
It is against your ways to attack a Good companion

+Quote Post
Nudibranch
post Nov 25 2018, 05:14 AM
Post #8

Fire Master

QUOTE (Grog @ Nov 24 2018, 07:16 PM) *
But for a brand new file solo game, I focus on getting Charm of Opening as quickly as possible.

Yep. Makes acquiring (and affording) tomes & potions much quicker. Even if it takes all your SP to cast, you're near town, you can recharge quick.

Starting with 10 Int & Wis, like Korexus emphasized, is critical too. Otherwise it takes forever to get the necessary potions to even get smart enough to use tomes.

--------------------

+Quote Post
fischsemmel
post Nov 25 2018, 11:23 PM
Post #9

Vagabond

Thankfully I finally found enough con tomes to max out, and now I can level up towards 30 while I try to make some money to afford to bump the rest of my stats. Level 2 is still off limits without the stats required to cast resist paralysis... or maybe the 10 more nomad levels will bump my defense enough I can handle the stuff there anyway.

Saving gold for tomes and realigning means I'm still not in the wizard guild, but that's the last one I'll need for a very long time. This must be one of the few races that actually gets any sort of benefit by being
in every single possible guild... laugh.gif.

+Quote Post
fischsemmel
post Nov 28 2018, 03:49 AM
Post #10

Vagabond

Have been tooling right along. In the 60s with thief and seeker now, though the questmaster keeps giving my seeker guild padded leather Cal quests even though I've something only seen 2 the entire game (I think I've seen nearly 50 padded leather armor though!). That's ok game. I didn't want to go deeper than level 2 or 3 anyway, honest!

+Quote Post
fischsemmel
post Nov 29 2018, 02:00 PM
Post #11

Vagabond

QUOTE (fischsemmel @ Nov 27 2018, 10:49 PM) *
Have been tooling right along. In the 60s with thief and seeker now, though the questmaster keeps giving my seeker guild padded leather Cal quests even though I've something only seen 2 the entire game (I think I've seen nearly 50 padded leather armor though!). That's ok game. I didn't want to go deeper than level 2 or 3 anyway, honest!

So yeah. I've gone from healer 35 to 55 just on the 2nd floor looking for a padded leather cap for my seeker quest. Am I doing something wrong or having horrible luck or what?

I know I could forfeit, but I don't like doing that and I don't feel like this should be a hard quest and I have all these other guilds to level while I look for the cap anyway. But what the heck?

This post has been edited by fischsemmel: Nov 29 2018, 02:04 PM

+Quote Post
Nudibranch
post Nov 29 2018, 04:24 PM
Post #12

Fire Master

And now you know why the Questmaster is a bastard.

--------------------

+Quote Post
fischsemmel
post Nov 29 2018, 08:15 PM
Post #13

Vagabond

laugh.gif. But it's not even QM thats the problem. It's this hat being super rare when it shouldn't be! I checked my old party's copy of the game and they had 20 caps found to 78 armor. I've only found 2 caps to 58 armor :-/

+Quote Post
Nudibranch
post Nov 29 2018, 08:54 PM
Post #14

Fire Master

It's possible there aren't a lot of cap-droppers on 2. Try exploring deeper levels.

No shame in forfeiting, though. If your goal is to not get bored of the game, forfeit any quest that doesn't yield semi-quickly.

--------------------

+Quote Post
fischsemmel
post Nov 29 2018, 10:46 PM
Post #15

Vagabond

The only two I had found so far we're from 2, so that's why I had been focused there. I did end up getting another one finally, on 4. It was annoying since I wanted to continue taking seeker higher for defense and cheaper movement spells, but I can't complain about the extra healer and sorcerer levels I got while looking for the hat either. I'd probably have ended up frustrated if I'd forfeited and then found a hat soon after... Heh.

+Quote Post
fischsemmel
post Dec 6 2018, 06:31 PM
Post #16

Vagabond

So my little solo osiri is up to about 150 with seeker and thief, and 90 with healer and sorcerer. I've just been mucking around on 5-7 mostly looking for nice rings and leveling while occasionally exploring deeper to map it out. I have basically all of 8 mapped and much of 9 but have had enough problems with traps (I was only thief 100 until I played last night and today) that I didn't spend time down there trying to level or find any items. Hoping once i swap back to seeker to put on my best defensive gear, I'll be able to finish exploring 9 and see how 10 treats me.

Do you guys have a general guideline for thief levels for any given dungeon level? I know about the formula but I'm too lazy you try to use it a bunch of different times to try to get ballpark ideas, laugh.gif. It definitely feels like I can fight on and explore a floor well before my thieving is good enough to feel confident trying slime or teleport traps :-/

+Quote Post
Nudibranch
post Dec 7 2018, 01:04 AM
Post #17

Fire Master

QUOTE (fischsemmel @ Dec 6 2018, 01:31 PM) *
So my little solo osiri is up to about 150 with seeker and thief, and 90 with healer and sorcerer. I've just been mucking around on 5-7 mostly looking for nice rings and leveling while occasionally exploring deeper to map it out. I have basically all of 8 mapped and much of 9 but have had enough problems with traps (I was only thief 100 until I played last night and today) that I didn't spend time down there trying to level or find any items. Hoping once i swap back to seeker to put on my best defensive gear, I'll be able to finish exploring 9 and see how 10 treats me.

Do you guys have a general guideline for thief levels for any given dungeon level? I know about the formula but I'm too lazy you try to use it a bunch of different times to try to get ballpark ideas, laugh.gif. It definitely feels like I can fight on and explore a floor well before my thieving is good enough to feel confident trying slime or teleport traps :-/

You're on a good pace, 150 after a couple of weeks.

I skip slime traps always, any level. (Well... maybe if it's got a chance to be a Blessing or the like.) Trap opening is one of the few parts of the game where you know where you stand, so if you're getting at least ++, your thieving levels are good enough. If you're worried about mis-IDing a trap, you can always step in and out of the room a few times to re-ID it.

--------------------

+Quote Post
fischsemmel
post Dec 7 2018, 02:12 AM
Post #18

Vagabond

QUOTE (Nudibranch @ Dec 6 2018, 08:04 PM) *
You're on a good pace, 150 after a couple of weeks.

I skip slime traps always, any level. (Well... maybe if it's got a chance to be a Blessing or the like.) Trap opening is one of the few parts of the game where you know where you stand, so if you're getting at least ++, your thieving levels are good enough. If you're worried about mis-IDing a trap, you can always step in and out of the room a few times to re-ID it.

I get a lot of chances during the day to clear some of 7 and then turn it off for an hour and repeat, etc. smile.gif

I guess I kinda have the habit of wanting to open everything even if it isn't probably wise to do so. I'll try to get into the habit of verifying the trap ID and ignoring slime and blackout, maybe teleport if I'm exploring a new level still. I think I get 3 pips for ID on my bottom levels of the dungeon, but only 1 + for disarm.

Thanks for the reply, as always!

This post has been edited by fischsemmel: Dec 7 2018, 02:13 AM

+Quote Post
fischsemmel
post Dec 7 2018, 04:37 AM
Post #19

Vagabond

Aaaaand I got quested a gibbering yethwa. The questmaster really hates when I try to spend time as a seeker.

+Quote Post
korexus
post Dec 7 2018, 08:54 PM
Post #20

Explorer

Member No.: 4,011
referrer:Google Search

Consider the Super Seer.

You might consider it cheating, as it can be used for spoilers on maps, but if you restrict yourself to levels you've already mapped out, it can help hunting down quest monsters.

Maybe the questmaster just things you need more practice at Seeking.

korexus.

This post has been edited by korexus: Dec 7 2018, 08:54 PM

+Quote Post

6 Pages V   1 2 3 > » 
Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 26th June 2019 - 03:04 PM
Bridged By IpbWiki: Integration Of Invision Power Board and MediaWiki © GlobalSoft
Copyrights and Credits