IPB

Welcome Guest ( Log In | Register )

7 Pages V  < 1 2 3 4 > »   
Reply to this topicStart new topic
> Recording a Mordor run - solo good elf!
aardless
post Aug 23 2014, 12:00 PM
Post #21

Goblin Shaman at work (used to be: on strike...)

Group: Admin
Member No.: 18
referrer::yahoo:

Skuldragl, no idea. Although I just realised a possible genesis of the name: skull with a drag in it. ;-)
Slimes are slimes and lycanthropes are their own monster class as well; indeed the fact there isn't a charm for every single monster class makes Soul Entrapment all the more useful for entomologists or whatever a monster collector would be called. wink.gif

--------------------
If money doesn't grow on trees, why is it that banks have branches? - sig of a guy on a chinese forum

Most off-topic topics are off-topic - fart642000
Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post
Nudibranch
post Aug 25 2014, 02:46 AM
Post #22

Fire Master

Group: Mordor MP Prog
Member No.: 71
referrer:search

QUOTE (aardless @ Aug 23 2014, 08:00 AM) *
or whatever a monster collector would be called. wink.gif

Pokemon trainer? naughty.gif

--------------------
I would have started with lasers. Eight o'clock. Day one.

+Quote Post
aardless
post Aug 25 2014, 07:42 PM
Post #23

laugh.gif! Henceforth Pokemon trainers sahll be called Mages. wink.gif

--------------------
If money doesn't grow on trees, why is it that banks have branches? - sig of a guy on a chinese forum

+Quote Post
MythrilZenith
post Aug 26 2014, 12:57 AM
Post #24

Explorer

Group: Members Plus
Member No.: 6,867
referrer:A google-search for Mordor: Depths of Dejenol maps led me here!

QUOTE (aardless @ Aug 25 2014, 08:42 PM) *
laugh.gif! Henceforth Pokemon trainers sahll be called Mages. wink.gif

I'd be down for that wink.gif

Anyway, finally getting back into recording the run. I know that I'm not going through this "ultra-hardcore" - it's a legacy character, I'm giving items from older characters, heck I even used the infinite-money glitch to get my starting stat line to something good - but I just felt that a solo run was probably hard enough, coming from someone who has yet to actually "beat" the game.

--------------------
Just an average nomad trying to figure out how Mordor really works.

I've also taken the liberty of recording some videos of Mordor: Depths of Dejenol!

Classics are classic, but never mistake nostalgia for superiority. When older is better, it's because it truly is, not just because our perception of it makes it so.

+Quote Post
grobblewobble
post Aug 26 2014, 09:08 PM
Post #25

Dungeon Master

Member No.: 134
referrer:Slimey's site

QUOTE (MythrilZenith @ Aug 26 2014, 02:57 AM) *
the infinite-money glitch

If you feel bad about it, maybe you could consider it a loan and make paying him back part of the challenge? wink.gif

--------------------
Fear the Society of the Psychic Tyco

+Quote Post
MythrilZenith
post Aug 26 2014, 09:41 PM
Post #26

Explorer

QUOTE (grobblewobble @ Aug 26 2014, 10:08 PM) *
If you feel bad about it, maybe you could consider it a loan and make paying him back part of the challenge? wink.gif

Maybe. Granted, I could probably have gotten the money legitimately anyway, since my evil-aligned party has somewhere in the area of 400,000,000 gold pieces, combined (not really redistributed - the wealthiest is my human ninja/sorcerer, with her 150,000,000 in the bank). That said, once I hit the glut of the mid-levels, I'll probably have more money than I know what to do with (after stats are maxed, equipment is the best it's gonna be for awhile, and I have charged items stocked up)

--------------------

I've also taken the liberty of recording some videos of Mordor: Depths of Dejenol!

Classics are classic, but never mistake nostalgia for superiority. When older is better, it's because it truly is, not just because our perception of it makes it so.

+Quote Post
Grog
post Aug 31 2014, 03:40 PM
Post #27

Mentor

Member No.: 162
referrer: Not since college

Love the videos! Looking forward to viewing more, I hope you keep going with them.

Just a matter of personal preference, here is how i organize the play screen:

When the entire dungeon is desplayed it stays put.

By the way, I ran a solo good elf for awhile. Then I found a Holy Sword and discovered that elves are too week to use it.
That was the end of my elf days.

--------------------
It is against your ways to attack a Good companion

+Quote Post
MythrilZenith
post Sep 1 2014, 12:10 AM
Post #28

Explorer

QUOTE (Grog @ Aug 31 2014, 03:40 PM) *
When the entire dungeon is desplayed it stays put.

By the way, I ran a solo good elf for awhile. Then I found a Holy Sword and discovered that elves are too week to use it.
That was the end of my elf days.

Yeah, I've been heavily considering reorganizing my windows to have the entire dungeon floor on one screen. I like scrolling for mid-dungeon stuff, but when I'm doing stuff like portals through the far wall, it's nice to be able to see where I'm going to end up before I commit to it.

And dang. I've never gotten that far, but I guess that means the low strength means an end-game elf's only real chance is to dominate a spellcaster guild.

--------------------

+Quote Post
Nudibranch
post Sep 1 2014, 03:28 AM
Post #29

Fire Master

QUOTE (MythrilZenith @ Aug 31 2014, 08:10 PM) *
And dang. I've never gotten that far, but I guess that means the low strength means an end-game elf's only real chance is to dominate a spellcaster guild.

The Holy Sword's nothing special. The Minor Heal it casts is nice but you get that from the Crest anyway, which recharges.

To defeat the hardest monsters/bosses in the game, you need spellcasting anyway, which can come from items if need be. This is all the more true for a solo character.

I've never heard of anyone finishing the game with a solo Elf. So, you could do it as a challenge. Running solo is going to be the hardest aspect of it. And since you can be a Mage, companions can help a heck of a lot. Low Thieving skills will hold you back a bit - you'll occasionally lose items to slime traps on the lowest levels.

--------------------

+Quote Post
Grog
post Sep 1 2014, 05:57 AM
Post #30

Mentor

^Yep, melee will only take you so far. Soloist need to be able to cast spells.

Elves have the highest natural intelligence and wisdom potentials, giving them the most spell points.
That's excellent.

Strength is less important. My solo characters do very little fighting.

They do, however, run away alot -- I've come to believe that Dexterity is the most important ability for the soloist.

--------------------

+Quote Post
Grog
post Sep 8 2014, 01:13 AM
Post #31

Mentor

Hey! I loved episode 8!

Thanks for trying the new layout...
...you make an excellent point that a full dungeon view is more important on the lower levels than the uppers. I would not blame you if you went back to your original style.

You are going to such great effort with these recordings that I feel guilty sitting in my armchair giving free advice.
That being said, here's somemore free advice:

* When you pull up the automap, try double-clicking on any grey portion within the map, see what happens...

* Also, try exiting to main menu while in the dungeon; then immediately run your character again. See what happens... Now leave the dungeon then go back down. Better?

Not sure what to say about making the automap and the dungeon screen closer to together... maybe put the map in the lower left and the dungeon screen in the upper right?

Anyway, I look forward to episode 9. And good luck with the Hiksae challenge. Those suckers really know how to hide.

--------------------

+Quote Post
MythrilZenith
post Sep 8 2014, 05:37 PM
Post #32

Explorer

QUOTE (Grog @ Sep 8 2014, 02:13 AM) *
Hey! I loved episode 8!

Thanks for trying the new layout...
...you make an excellent point that a full dungeon view is more important on the lower levels than the uppers. I would not blame you if you went back to your original style.

You are going to such great effort with these recordings that I feel guilty sitting in my armchair giving free advice.
That being said, here's somemore free advice:

* When you pull up the automap, try double-clicking on any grey portion within the map, see what happens...

* Also, try exiting to main menu while in the dungeon; then immediately run your character again. See what happens... Now leave the dungeon then go back down. Better?

Not sure what to say about making the automap and the dungeon screen closer to together... maybe put the map in the lower left and the dungeon screen in the upper right?

Anyway, I look forward to episode 9. And good luck with the Hiksae challenge. Those suckers really know how to hide.

Oh, don't worry about it. I'm doing these videos for fun, anyway, and I appreciate any advice you can give!

That said, I just finished recording episode 9 before seeing this, so maybe this gives me some things to try for #10 wink.gif

Sorry about the inconsistency in posting videos, I get too distracted by life tongue.gif

--------------------

+Quote Post
grobblewobble
post Sep 9 2014, 09:52 AM
Post #33

Dungeon Master

Member No.: 134
referrer:Slimey's site

If you get stuck with quests, here is another tip.

You're also a mage, right? It really helps to collect rare monsters. Charm them when you see them, sell them to confinement.

When you get quested for a hiksae, you can then buy one from confinement, attack it (right-click a companion to start a fight) and charm it again. (To prevent killing it accidentally, you could set the combat default option to "soul entrapment".)

Charming the monster again like that counts as "killing" it, as far as the questmaster is concerned. Then you can sell it back to the store when you're done.

--------------------
Fear the Society of the Psychic Tyco

+Quote Post
Grog
post Sep 9 2014, 08:05 PM
Post #34

Mentor

Episode 9: excellent! You actually found a Hik!

--------------------

+Quote Post
aardless
post Sep 18 2014, 09:47 AM
Post #35

QUOTE (Grog @ Sep 9 2014, 10:05 PM) *
Episode 9: excellent! You actually found a Hik!
-cup? crazy.gif

--------------------

+Quote Post
MythrilZenith
post Sep 10 2016, 04:31 PM
Post #36

Explorer

I'M BACK!!
Sorry about the 2-odd year hiatus - different things in my life happened and I wasn't able to record. And then after I record one video I had tech issues and more life issues that kept me from doing more videos for another month or so O_o

But no worries! I'm around 15 episodes right now, *almost* done with Wizard leveling! (it can never finish soon enough)

Anyone here still watching the videos?

This post has been edited by MythrilZenith: Sep 10 2016, 04:32 PM

--------------------

+Quote Post
Nudibranch
post Sep 14 2016, 02:33 AM
Post #37

Fire Master

Yep, life happens.

Just an idea - maybe you should post a link on the videos to the forums here. You might be getting some YouTubers who are not Braindeaders (yet).

--------------------

+Quote Post
kwizzlehazzizle
post Sep 14 2016, 12:36 PM
Post #38

Student

Group: Members
Member No.: 8,403
referrer:Google

QUOTE (MythrilZenith @ Sep 10 2016, 05:31 PM) *
I'M BACK!!
Sorry about the 2-odd year hiatus - different things in my life happened and I wasn't able to record. And then after I record one video I had tech issues and more life issues that kept me from doing more videos for another month or so O_o

But no worries! I'm around 15 episodes right now, *almost* done with Wizard leveling! (it can never finish soon enough)

Anyone here still watching the videos?

Hey, I've been watching your videos, keep putting them out there!

Also, I find your DnD digressions interesting even though I've never really played.

+Quote Post
MythrilZenith
post Sep 16 2016, 09:13 PM
Post #39

Explorer

QUOTE (Nudibranch @ Sep 14 2016, 03:33 AM) *
Yep, life happens.

Just an idea - maybe you should post a link on the videos to the forums here. You might be getting some YouTubers who are not Braindeaders (yet).

Of course! I linked to the site in the description of my first video already, but I just added a link into the descriptions of all my other videos now.
Btw, just got episode 16 finished! Too bad i accidentally muted my microphone 5 seconds in. And then saved the backup right after. No going back from that!

--------------------

+Quote Post
Grog
post Sep 23 2016, 04:54 PM
Post #40

Mentor

Just finished watching Holy Crusade #17! Excellent! Thanks for creating it.

Your elf is high in spell points - 225. Nice.

I'd be curious to see what your spell cost is to cast charm of opening. As a Lv 30 Nomad it should be listed in your spellbook.

Anyway, can't wait for #18 -

--------------------

+Quote Post

7 Pages V  < 1 2 3 4 > » 
Reply to this topicStart new topic
2 User(s) are reading this topic (2 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 18th August 2019 - 08:15 PM
Bridged By IpbWiki: Integration Of Invision Power Board and MediaWiki © GlobalSoft
Copyrights and Credits