> To korexus- Your homage to mordor, About a free game inspired by M1
rb10c
post Jan 20 2011, 02:24 PM
Post #1

Infiltrator

Group: Members Plus
Member No.: 3,954
referrer:i'm a DIEHARD FAN!!

You never put a link about your homage to Mordor. would you kindly put it as a response to this post please!
you got OK'd by braindead, but even if you still think it slightly wrong, its still in the off topic section, where i occasionally plug my music.

--------------------
http://macjams.com/artist/rb10c - my music site!
mordor, my favourite game EVER!!

QUOTE (rb10c @ Feb 14 2011, 03:22 PM) *
Darn, I went off-topic on an off-topic topic. Who's going to go off topic on this off topic, off topic topic?
Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post
korexus
post Jan 20 2011, 07:14 PM
Post #2

Explorer

Member No.: 4,011
referrer:Google Search

Sorry, I must have missed that ok. - I'll go back and read through the thread in case I missed anything else too!

A public beta of the game is available at http://new.kaomaris.com/RPG/ - You will have to create an account before you can play.

A bit of history, for anyone that cares about it. www.kaomaris.com is an community centred around a risk-like online strategy game. The original site is horribly designed, and the game engine is intrinsically tied to the content management system. As a side project I've been building a new version of the site and in order to encourage people to help me bug fix I put this RPG up. I'm fully aware that the site still looks pretty naff, if anyone has web or graphic design skills I'd be interested to hear from them. - My skillset is definitely more focused on the programming side of web development!

The RPG as it stands is 'tick' based - you gain a certain number of activity points every hour, which can be used to move, cast spells, etc. There are races, but not currently guilds. I have plans for guilds but they will be very different from Mordor, in the mean time you can level up skills independently when you level up.

You should find (almost) all of the items, spells and monsters to be very familiar. :-)

I'm keen to hear suggestions for improvements and additions, but this is very much a spare-time project. Additionally I've set my self the challenge of re-writing the game engine so that the game runs in real time so, in terms of the most recent code I have a fair bit of work to do just to get back to the current system!

korexus.

+Quote Post
aardless
post Jan 20 2011, 10:42 PM
Post #3

Goblin Shaman at work (used to be: on strike...)

Group: Admin
Member No.: 18
referrer::yahoo:

I can move this in the Mordor sections if you want? You'll get better exposure there.

--------------------
If money doesn't grow on trees, why is it that banks have branches? - sig of a guy on a chinese forum

Most off-topic topics are off-topic - fart642000

+Quote Post
rb10c
post Jan 20 2011, 11:33 PM
Post #4

Infiltrator

@aardless; go for it, you're the admin.

@korexus; taking a look at it, real time mordor online would have to be flash. and then its hard to link to scoreboards, etc. bad cycle there. as a side project to your risk game, you've done a good job. its comparable to these online mmorpgs like... i dunno, i gave those up ages ago. but mercenary lords was what i played then. slight oddity to mordor ~ its overworld. if thats the twist your going for, good for you. i suggest to go for an exile (trilogy) route, and do both an underworld and an overworld. other than that, its a grand job so far!

--------------------

Darn, I went off-topic on an off-topic topic. Who's going to go off topic on this off topic, off topic topic?

+Quote Post
korexus
post Jan 21 2011, 01:56 PM
Post #5

Explorer

Overworld seemed more fun, yes it means you lose the maze aspect, but allows the map to be randomly generated with no risk of unplayable maps. This gives me time to work on the code instead :-). I've tied the monsters to certain terrain types so you get the same feeling of monsters being more likely in certain areas that Mordor has and I would like to create underworld areas too. (You're character's location is stored with a z-coordinate already.) I was wondering about having D&D style dungeons scattered around the place which you could be quested to visit. This would effectively turn my world into a superset of Mordor, in which the original game was one of these dungeons. (Although with far more detail than any of mine would be likely to have!)

Various plans, they come in faster than I can do anything about them!

I believe a real time effect is possible in an AJAX environment. I have the privilege of working with some very talented developers, and we've spent several lunch times discussing it. It may all go wrong - there is a significant issue with apache connections which I haven't got a solution for yet - but I'm enjoying giving it a try. (Not to mention improving my CV at the same time! ;-) )

korexus.

+Quote Post
rb10c
post Jan 21 2011, 02:09 PM
Post #6

Infiltrator

just gonna squeeze this in, but if you need music, try me! just a little plug.

--------------------

+Quote Post
korexus
post Mar 5 2011, 08:39 PM
Post #7

Explorer

Wandered back onto this project after a couple of weeks doing other (much more boring) stuff.

I've finally got item equipping and unequipping working properly on the 'real time' system (perl classes still make my head go funny from time to time) so I figured that it was time to make some monsters. Planning this stage out has raised a few questions, I'd be interested to hear other Mordorers views on them.

(I'm sure you all know this bit, but to recap for my clarity)

Mordor splits monsters in a room into groups. Each group contains one and only one monster type and the number of monsters in a single group / groups which can appear seems to be limited based on the monster type. I don't know the exact details for that bit, but have a general feel for it. It is possible to encounter multiple groups containing different monster types, although this is much common in lairs than in general encounters.

When attacking groups of monsters with spells, damage hits the first monster in a group, then carries on to the next if and only if the first monster is killed, this continues until a monster is not killed or the targets limit of the spell is reached. Depending on the spell this process can be repeated on the other monster groups in the room. When engaging the monsters in combat you can choose which group to attack, attacks are then directed against the front monster in that group until it is dead. Multiple swings work in much the same way as extra damage from spells.

When being attacked by monsters, each and every monster in each and every group gets to attack you.

This never seemed very fair to me. - The image you get when attacking is of up to four groups of monsters forming orderly queues to fight and, by virtue of being behind each other, most of them being safe from damage. However when it's their turn, you suddenly find every single one is close enough to attack / spit on / cast spells at you. I appreciate that at least some of this is because of the user interface - it would be horrible to have a picture per zbrat! - but I was wondering about changing the mechanics somewhat.

A few of the things I was thinking of were:

* Spells always deal damage throughout the group. - I cast blue flame for 50 damage while fighting a group of monsters. The first two monsters take 25 damage each, regardless of whether this is enough (or too much!) to kill them.

* Spells always deal damage throughout the group. - If I cast burning air then I can set 56 individual monsters on alight. This kind of implies an area of effect. Therefore if I am facing a single monster it seems unlikely that it will suffer the full amount of damage. Instead the first blast deals 1/14 of its damage to the monster with the remaining 13/14 being wasted and the other three blasts do nothing.

* Any monster in the group is attackable. - This may be too much of a pain to interact with and 99% of the time people will want to attack the monster closest to death anyway, so it may not be necessary but it does seem fair that if all of them can attack you then you can attack any of them.

These changes would probably make life worse for pure magic users. - It will take you the same amount of time to kill off a group of monsters, but they will all be around to attack you every round instead of being knocked off one by one. (Although another change I am looking at is of monsters (and players) fighting less well as they take damage.) It could, however work out rather nicely for a combination of spell casters and fighters. - An area of effect spell to soften up all the monsters would allow the fighters to make maximum use of their multiple swings.

There are probably quite a few angles I haven't thought of. As I said, I'd be interested to hear other people's ideas.

korexus.

+Quote Post
rb10c
post Mar 5 2011, 09:52 PM
Post #8

Infiltrator

Mordor groups are not always limited to type. Slave Mashers are giants, and Slaves are humanoids. And Pandruns come with literally anything, from demons to dragons.

The "all monsters get to attack" is somewhat implied already in mordor as you stated, but it appears to raise by a percent, as opposed to Ow Ow Ow Ow Ow... Dead by Zbrats. Who said they can't still be grouped by race, and your blasty spells hit all the little buggers? That would make piranhas useless though, due to their 1-2 HP.

Your spell damage distribution concept (bit of a mouthful), I wholeheartedly agree. It would strengthen draining touch, and creates a niche for single target opponents.

Spell AOE: Nearly. How about the first monsters take the brunt, and less onto the next? A slave masher would get in the way of the teeny slaves, no? Or at least shield it somewhat.

Magic is too overpowered in mordor. It's magic or die.

That's all from me, for now.

--------------------

+Quote Post
korexus
post Mar 6 2011, 09:09 AM
Post #9

Explorer

When I said groups contained the same type I meant within the group. I also meant actual monster name, rather than classification. So yes slavers appear with slaves, but you get one group of slavers and up to three groups of slaves rather than any mixed groups.

Size is a good point, it's a logical extension of my distribution argument to say that a giant would be more affected than a mosquito. (In terms of points of damage dealt anyway.) It would be simple enough from a game mechanics point of view to extend my suggestion so that each monster size takes x / max targets rather than 1 / max targets depending on size, although this would make the system more complicated for a user.

Thanks for the feedback.

korexus.

+Quote Post
rb10c
post Mar 6 2011, 12:03 PM
Post #10

Infiltrator

They don't need to know about the system sneaky.gif

--------------------

+Quote Post
korexus
post Mar 6 2011, 01:11 PM
Post #11

Explorer

To an extent they do. - If a spell says it affects 4 monsters, but only actually hits two of them because they're giants and count as two each it will be confusing. Should be possible to work round that though, and I do like the elegance of the system. I'm not sure if it extends quite so elegantly to some of the other spell books (electricity could be argued to earth through the fewer monsters and thus increase damage to them as per the Mordor system, when casting psychological spells you wouldn't need to blanket bomb the area and could focus on those closest to you, but this is magic it doesn't have to make total sense, right?)

One spellbook which would be down-powered by this would be the charm spells. In Mordor, they can all affect up to 4 monsters which under my system would make each spell one quarter as effective as it usually is. This should maybe be an exception after all.

I'm currently leaning towards putting all monsters into a single group, even if they are of different types and making the first X (somewhere between 4 and 9 I think) vulnerable to attack and the first 20 (limit for field of death) vulnerable to spells. Only monsters vulnerable to attack will be able to attack or cast spells themselves, the others will effectively be waiting at the back for their turn. I think spells which affect multiple groups in Mordor will be treated as hitting the front of the group multiple times, which will keep some of the kill the first before moving on to the second feel, but without being as extreme. This seems to me to match what would actually happen if you were to walk into a room full of monsters and is also in line with board game based dungeon crawls.

Of course, tweaking one area of a system tends to unbalance something else. I'm sure other people will be able to spot flaws in or improvements to this idea.

korexus.

+Quote Post
rb10c
post Mar 6 2011, 01:30 PM
Post #12

Infiltrator

Well, if you cast burning air, say. You hit Mr Giant with 3rd degree burns, but the Slave chaps get 1st degree burns. Same for cold spells. Electricity- discharge. Mind, however is slightly different. How can you be manipulated by something you cannot see? That is assuming Mind spells are more of an act, rather than a spell. Like pulling faces.

All spells either kill, buff, or charm. Buffs work completely different, so charm spells should too. Otherwise, ramp up the power of charm spells. (Side note: enchanters/charmers/conjurers should be able to cast charm spells, and escape by doing so. Charmer casts charm- you become infatuated, and he does a runner.)

If you remove the concept of groups, you will need to rethink the battle system. What I think you can do, is have little icons, representative. In mordor, you see 4 max. Perhaps you can have 20 icons. If you think about it, it's obvious, because if you see (MAX) kobold icons, you'll know you're fighting zbrats. If you see some giants and a funky giant, you'll know its the giant king and cohorts. Goblin shaman, etc. For flood monsters, you could state "you are fighting lots of Zbrats", similarly to "you immolated lots!", for those not too experienced with mordor. But, flood monsters come with no other monster types. Piranhas don't come with Kyu's, Zbrats don't come with humes, and Leeches don't come with other insect/animal/arthropods.

--------------------

+Quote Post
korexus
post Mar 6 2011, 01:59 PM
Post #13

Explorer

Yes mind (and damage actually from the description though that could easily be changed) seem much more about focusing on individuals than creating an area of effect which is why I suggested they might not make so much sense under this system, but I'm willing to live with that for now. If I can come up with a neat model for charm magic I might transfer a couple of the other spellbooks to that too.

An icon for each monster could take up a lot of space. - That's what I meant about UI problems further up, smaller icons could reduce this problem but only at the expense of making the pictures harder to make out. The ideal would be to have pictures of the full monster in each case, on a transparent background. These could then be placed on top of each other in the display, to give the impression of monsters standing in front of each other. This would solve the UI problem and make the system intuitive in one easy step. Unfortunately I don't have the graphical skills to make those pictures. As a compromise I expect I'll settle for showing the pictures of the first few monsters, with the amount being decided by space limitations and that amount being used to set the number of monsters you are able to attack in a round of combat.

Of course, the layer monsters in front of each other could get interesting with invisible monsters, but that could also be part of the fun. - I always thought invisible monsters were too easy to hit in Mordor...

korexus.

+Quote Post
aardless
post Mar 6 2011, 09:36 PM
Post #14

But why should enemy spell casters at the back of the horde not be able to hurl spells at you?
I like the idea of a limited number of enemies, say 6 or 8, able to attack a single character. It could be raised for small attackers, like Ants (or Zbrats... evil.gif ), and reduced for big monsters, so multiply by the inverse of the monster size; and reduced or increased for small or big characters so divide by character size. Just a thought.
It would have to be adapted for the weapon used by monsters, spells as said, or ranged weapons like bows should allow for more monsters attacking.

--------------------
If money doesn't grow on trees, why is it that banks have branches? - sig of a guy on a chinese forum

+Quote Post
korexus
post Mar 6 2011, 10:15 PM
Post #15

Explorer

QUOTE (aardless @ Mar 6 2011, 09:36 PM) *
But why should enemy spell casters at the back of the horde not be able to hurl spells at you?

For the same reason that you can't do the same to them. - All the other critters in the way. If the monster can't see you, or can see glimpses of you but other monsters are consistently between you and it, it's going to be difficult for anything physical or magical to pass between you. Again, the mental spells might be an exception here, but a fireball is going to result in a lot of collateral damage.

I believe this is already in place to an extent in Mordor. While I have experienced being hit by a very large number of monsters, I don't remember having spells cast by more than one or two. Could anyone back this up?

I like the idea of a limited number of enemies, say 6 or 8, able to attack a single character. It could be raised for small attackers, like Ants (or Zbrats... evil.gif ), and reduced for big monsters, so multiply by the inverse of the monster size; and reduced or increased for small or big characters so divide by character size. Just a thought.
It would have to be adapted for the weapon used by monsters, spells as said, or ranged weapons like bows should allow for more monsters attacking.

Indeed, the same process as is used to decide how many critters a spell can affect could be used to decide how many of them can hit you. Modifying by character size is the next logical step, although that might add more complication than is justified by the added realism. - The number of human sized monsters which can crowd round a gnome probably isn't that much less than can crowd round a human, and then you could bring in the gnome running between people's legs to attack many of them, which of course should allow them to attack back. I can see this becoming almost endlessly complicated. blink.gif

Fortunately I haven't added ranged weapons. - They weren't in Mordor and keeping track of ammo is a pain. I guess the justification is that in a world in which almost everybody seems to be able to use magic there is little point in progressing beyond the projectile rock. ;-)

korexus.

+Quote Post
aardless
post Mar 12 2011, 09:09 PM
Post #16

QUOTE (korexus @ Mar 6 2011, 11:15 PM) *
For the same reason that you can't do the same to them. - All the other critters in the way. If the monster can't see you, or can see glimpses of you but other monsters are consistently between you and it, it's going to be difficult for anything physical or magical to pass between you. Again, the mental spells might be an exception here, but a fireball is going to result in a lot of collateral damage.
Well a smart enemy, like a spell-caster, would probably: hide behind another enemy, then at the proper time make a step sideways, cast a projectile-like spell then step sideways again behind the current meat-shield. tongue.gif
QUOTE (korexus @ Mar 6 2011, 11:15 PM) *
I believe this is already in place to an extent in Mordor. While I have experienced being hit by a very large number of monsters, I don't remember having spells cast by more than one or two. Could anyone back this up?
Hmm, I think it's one spell only? GaiaCat doesn't say it explicitly but it seems to be implied here

--------------------

+Quote Post
npsuber
post Mar 12 2011, 10:43 PM
Post #17

Fighter

Group: Members
Member No.: 3,099
referrer:from slimey

QUOTE (aardless @ Mar 12 2011, 01:09 PM) *
Hmm, I think it's one spell only? GaiaCat doesn't say it explicitly but it seems to be implied here

I frequently get paralyzed and poisoned in the same attack. Maybe paralysis is treated differently since it alone doesn't do any damage?

+Quote Post
aardless
post Mar 12 2011, 11:03 PM
Post #18

There can be a number of special attacks happening, I think, but you get at most one spell attack. I don't know if it's one spell attack for all monster groups or one per monster group, though.

--------------------

+Quote Post
korexus
post Mar 13 2011, 01:49 PM
Post #19

Explorer

Well, I've got monsters spawning and displaying. - They don't attack yet, but that should be reasonably straightforward.

The screenshot below demonstrates my UI issues. - A space which fits for images perfectly is forced to gain a scroll bar when more monsters are in an area. I'm still open to suggestions on this one, but would like to avoid the Mordor style grouping if possible.

Current screenshot. (Scaled down to 50% in each direction.)

Currently only monsters of the exact same type will spawn together. Has anyone compiled a list of which types hang around with others? (e.g. Slaver and Slaves; Goblin Lord and Pelagons.) Or do any members want to contribute ideas?

Any other suggestions also welcome!

korexus.

+Quote Post
thermopyle
post Mar 13 2011, 02:54 PM
Post #20

Vagabond

Member No.: 6,522
referrer:google

I would make it so that with more than 4 creatures, you have a second row of monsters. There's clearly room for that. Set the maximum monsters at 8 and you'll never fill up that screen. You'd obviously need to make changes to the monsters to accommodate that, though--no more 40 ants. The other possible approach instead of cutting the max monsters would be to make it so the character can only see the first eight, and any killed monsters are replaced by the others in the background that hadn't been shown yet. So you'd have like a red X appear over an ant to indicate it was killed, then that square would flash and you'd see another ant appear in its place.

+Quote Post

3 Pages V   1 2 3 >
Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 18th June 2019 - 09:50 PM
Bridged By IpbWiki: Integration Of Invision Power Board and MediaWiki © GlobalSoft
Copyrights and Credits