> MXP Development Team?
Edo
post Jan 19 2012, 11:48 PM
Post #1

Drifter

Group: Members
Member No.: 3,696
referrer:Google

I'd like to inquire on the current status/structure of the MXP development team.It seems the pages on the wiki might be out of date? (http://dejenol.com/index.php?title=Mordor_XP:_The_Team). How many people are recently active on the project? The last post I can find about it on the forums is Danjen stating last August, "We've been looking for a programmer for ages."

Well I'm a programmer with a some incentive these days to join the project and do something about it. I have friends who sound eager to help as well, but I don't know what to tell them about this project. I'd like to know what is needed and be able to see the active organization behind the effort.
Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post
aardless
post Jan 28 2012, 09:59 AM
Post #2

Goblin Shaman at work (used to be: on strike...)

Group: Admin
Member No.: 18
referrer::yahoo:

I'd shoot Crusher an email, the address of which you found in his profile.
I expect he'll swing by the forum today or tomorrow.

--------------------
If money doesn't grow on trees, why is it that banks have branches? - sig of a guy on a chinese forum

Most off-topic topics are off-topic - fart642000

+Quote Post
Edo
post Jan 31 2012, 02:02 AM
Post #3

Drifter

Member No.: 3,696

I first tried to reach Crusher by the email address in his profile and by the forum's private message feature. The email bounced back and the pm system is broken (for me at least).

I think there should be a public discussion about the development of the game considering how blinded the public has been to the whole operation over the past year or so. I only tried private contact because it's more direct and I wanted to get the ball (or a few balls of many) rolling.

+Quote Post
Twilight *slayer...
post Feb 1 2012, 07:21 PM
Post #4

Explorer

Member No.: 3,803
referrer:searching mordor on google

If it was not for aardless then I would say we are probley getting trolled.

+Quote Post
ShadowCat17
post Feb 3 2012, 03:14 AM
Post #5

Drifter

Group: Members Plus
Member No.: 2,499
referrer:google

I agree, let's be honest, if the structure here does not change, the game will never be released. We really need to make this a public beta and/or open source and let the rest of the community participate and not be on the outside. This is such a small niche community and we all want XP to be a success, so nothing bad will happen if we make it public beta or open source. At this point it's ridiculous not to do so.

+Quote Post
aardless
post Feb 4 2012, 12:57 PM
Post #6

QUOTE (Edo @ Jan 31 2012, 03:02 AM) *
I first tried to reach Crusher by the email address in his profile and by the forum's private message feature. The email bounced back and the pm system is broken (for me at least).
Dang, didn't know that his email doesn't work anymore. dry.gif I'll see if I can find other contact information.

--------------------
If money doesn't grow on trees, why is it that banks have branches? - sig of a guy on a chinese forum

+Quote Post
aardless
post Feb 6 2012, 01:33 PM
Post #7

I have temporarily enabled PMs for Members, try contacting Crusher now. I'm not sure I did everything right, though, the Admin controls are freaky. blink.gif
And anybody who emailed me check your PMs too, the email responses bounce for whatever reason.

--------------------

+Quote Post
Crusher Junior
post Feb 11 2012, 10:39 PM
Post #8

Nomad Slayer

Group: Mordor MP Mod
Member No.: 10
referrer:braindead

QUOTE (aardless @ Feb 6 2012, 08:33 AM) *
I have temporarily enabled PMs for Members, try contacting Crusher now. I'm not sure I did everything right, though, the Admin controls are freaky. blink.gif
And anybody who emailed me check your PMs too, the email responses bounce for whatever reason.

PM system appears to be working for members. Got your message, Edo.

--------------------
It's only funny until someone gets hurt...then it's HILARIOUS

To misquote Bill Gates: "500 million should be enough for anyone".
-elro

+Quote Post
Sky.Death
post Oct 5 2012, 04:09 PM
Post #9

Voyager

Member No.: 1,415
referrer:GoOgle :) !

Hey. I'm still avaiable for programming / writing.

--------------------
Sky

+Quote Post
Crusher Junior
post Oct 5 2012, 10:18 PM
Post #10

Nomad Slayer

Group: Mordor MP Mod
Member No.: 10
referrer:braindead

QUOTE (Sky.Death @ Oct 5 2012, 12:09 PM) *
Hey. I'm still avaiable for programming / writing.

Message sent.

--------------------
It's only funny until someone gets hurt...then it's HILARIOUS

To misquote Bill Gates: "500 million should be enough for anyone".
-elro

+Quote Post
Lord of Pain
post Nov 6 2012, 02:59 PM
Post #11

Student

Member No.: 689
referrer:google

hello, yeah, something needs to be done, it seems you are stuck somehow and i believe ShadowCat17 have a point.
i have some skills in visual basic 6, right now working with a flash-player.
it would be very cool to use the flash if someone is good enough to make some animation, as in visual basic you can control the flash using "fscommand" quite easy.
anyway, if you need help i can be of assistance, as i really want to see mordor xp out soon and play it! biggrin.gif

+Quote Post
Swwonn
post Nov 13 2012, 07:36 PM
Post #12

Apprentice

Member No.: 2,535

QUOTE (ShadowCat17 @ Feb 2 2012, 10:14 PM) *
I agree, let's be honest, if the structure here does not change, the game will never be released. We really need to make this a public beta and/or open source and let the rest of the community participate and not be on the outside. This is such a small niche community and we all want XP to be a success, so nothing bad will happen if we make it public beta or open source. At this point it's ridiculous not to do so.

Open sourcing it seems like a good idea. I check this site about once a year now to see if anything new has popped up and have some programming experience (albeit limited). Given some base open source code and the people around here, I would bet that some significant progress could be made.

+Quote Post
Danjen
post Nov 19 2012, 08:56 PM
Post #13

Veteran

Group: Mordor MP Prog
Member No.: 3,498
referrer:Decklin's Domain

'Sup?

I'd also second the open sourcing. I haven't made anything related to the project for 3 or more years now, and ... yeah. It's kind of stale, IMO.

+Quote Post
Braindead
post Nov 20 2012, 07:24 PM
Post #14

Zombie Master

Member No.: 1
referrer:;)

open sourcing is out of the question as it's not conform the agreement with Decklin.

the game runs quite well, but there are some open bugs and some features that need to be added prior to a possible release.

a small status update of things that have been done in the past month on the project:
* I've set up a new svn repository, so that we don't have the login issues and other problems anymore that we experienced at the previous host that we used.
* once peterg70 gets vb back up and running we should be good to go again on the remaining programming tasks.

--------------------
Do not PM me for support, if you have troubles running Mordor ask in the Technical Support forum!

+Quote Post
gruevy
post Dec 17 2012, 04:55 AM
Post #15

Journeyman

Member No.: 4,444
referrer:google search

To be frank, why do you care what Decklin thinks? I know there was an agreement, but it's not like he has a copyright on the name Mordor. That's kind of already a term from something else. Are you directly using his assets? Because if you're just copying his concept then screw him. He has done precisely jack with Mordor for what, 15 years? He's still clutching to his ancient, shitty game like more than 15 people give a damn anymore.

If open-sourcing the project will make it more likely to happen, then open-source it. Screw Decklin.

+Quote Post
barklight
post Dec 20 2012, 03:50 PM
Post #16

Vagabond

Member No.: 1,945
referrer:The old M2 Wiki :)

Thanks for posting that refresher, however limited it may be, Braindead. It's been a while since I dropped by and I'm glad to see that things are still moving along at at least some level.

I'm not much of a programmer, but I have resources available if needed. If I can help out shoot me an email at my forum name @gmail.

--------------------
The Rules (NEW RULES as of 9/13/2010)
Rule #003: There is no Gnomish god of heavy artillery.
Rule #092: The name of the weapon shop is not "Bloodbath and Beyond".
Rule #155: I am not allowed to rub any part of the elf chick for any reason.
Rule #472: When my cleric is told to "Buff the Elf", I know exactly what it means and may not misconstrue it in any way.
Rule #609: No deity will let me use my nipples as holy symbols.

+Quote Post
aardless
post Jan 30 2013, 04:22 PM
Post #17

QUOTE (gruevy @ Dec 17 2012, 05:55 AM) *
To be frank, why do you care what Decklin thinks? I know there was an agreement, but it's not like he has a copyright on the name Mordor.
Correct but he owns the program and the trademark if any.
That's kind of already a term from something else. Are you directly using his assets?
Yes.
...He's still clutching to his ancient, shitty game...
blink.gif Well, that says how much you care about it, I guess.

--------------------

+Quote Post
gruevy
post Feb 27 2013, 11:13 PM
Post #18

Journeyman

Member No.: 4,444
referrer:google search

QUOTE (aardless @ Jan 30 2013, 10:22 AM) *
Correct but he owns the program and the trademark if any.
Yes.
blink.gif Well, that says how much you care about it, I guess.

Then cut out his assets and make it open source. Guild names aren't assets, and you don't really need his pictures or music. You can just add comments to his code and make it legally different enough.

Also, if you cared about it any more than I did, there'd probably have been a beta in the last, what, 8 years this project has been 'worked on'? Decklin doesn't care. Y'all don't care. The community doesn't care anymore (count the forum posts from the last two years). Why should I pretend to? You'll note that I applied to write for the game more than once, and I made it as far as sending in several samples and never heard back. Every needed word would have been done long, long ago if anyone had shown the minimum amount of initiative to get me set up and have me do it. Or have any of the people who volunteered to code actually help write code. Or anything for the last several years.

I don't mean to be hostile, but the 'dev team' has been dragging the last few interested people along long enough. It's time to end this farce. Either announce cancellation or get the thing moving again. Life happens. We all understand. If it's over, say so. If it's not, do something.

PS - I'm still willing to write, but I'd need to see evidence that the project will ever go anywhere.

+Quote Post
korexus
post Feb 28 2013, 07:46 PM
Post #19

Voyager

Member No.: 4,011
referrer:Google Search

Hey, if you're willing, motivated and able to write it you could always do it yourself, you know. No need to join the team, seeing as your inclusion is all that would be necessary for the project to be a success it'd probably be better if you started over from scratch anyway...

korexus.

(Not on the dev team, far too busy with my own projects that I don't have time to finish. I just don't like seeing devs bashed for not doing something they offered to do in their spare time for free.)

+Quote Post
Joe Black
post Mar 1 2013, 01:35 AM
Post #20

Apprentice

Member No.: 2,980
referrer: Been playing mordor since 98... just recent i've got to play MP and for about an year, been working at my own RPG (mordor+rage of mages+diablo features). So ....here I am...

if it takes 20 more years to get it finished... i'd still play it zombie.gif
http://www.facebook.com/pages/Mordor-The-D...894474?fref=ts#

--------------------
-------------------------
... and justice for all

+Quote Post

2 Pages V   1 2 >
Reply to this topicStart new topic
2 User(s) are reading this topic (2 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 20th September 2020 - 07:57 AM
Bridged By IpbWiki: Integration Of Invision Power Board and MediaWiki © GlobalSoft
Copyrights and Credits