IPB

Welcome Guest ( Log In | Register )

3 Pages V   1 2 3 >  
Reply to this topicStart new topic
> A couple of MXP questions/suggestions...
thermopyle
post Feb 2 2011, 05:30 AM
Post #1

Vagabond

Group: Members Plus
Member No.: 6,522
referrer:google

So I've been playing a bit more recently, and there have been a few annoyances with the original game. I'm not sure if these have been addressed yet, so I thought I'd bring them up:

1: Opening chests: Why should I have to switch to my thief character every time I come to a chest? Why not set a default of him being the one to open them, then no matter which character I have selected, "o" has the thief do the task? This could be manually over-ridden in some way, for those wanting to take advantage of a fate trap, but it's just an annoyance that could easily be managed.

2: Similarly, healing. Maybe use key binding to allow the player to specify, for example "h" as being Heal cast by Character X? Again, it's annoying to have to switch characters all the time for this.

3: Item management. I like for one central character to get all the goodies, instead of items being semi-randomly distributed amongst everybody. It'd be nice to set the loot receipt order instead of having to juggle everything when I get back to town.

4: Banking. It's super annoying to have to go to the bank to take money out when giving from one character to another, or when leveling (IIRC, the store draws from the bank, but the guild does not if you're short on cash. I could be wrong on this, though.) Money should be fluid in town--as long as you have it somewhere, it should move transparently as you try to use it.

5: Thieving. It makes no sense. I come across enemies that attack me, but I want to take the loot in their chest and then run. I hit "O" and have to wait 2 turns...but the enemies can steal from me in one turn?!? That's hardly fair, and it makes no sense--it should be harder to rob me than it would be for me to open a chest. After all, I'm going to hit back, or notice the theft attempt. Sure, in the real world somebody can pick your pocket if you're not paying attention...but how likely is that in a fight? It should at least take a couple of turns, and have a chance of failing or being interrupted.

6: (edit) Trolls! You know what the first thing I think of regarding trolls is? Big green things that regenerate. Trolls in M1 suck horribly, but adding a reasonable, natural regeneration would make them suddenly a viable choice as the perfect solo class (maybe give them access to several of the secondary classes listed in the race/class thread to contribute to this).

Anyway...just thought I'd bring those up. smile.gif

This post has been edited by thermopyle: Feb 2 2011, 05:51 AM
Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post
rb10c
post Feb 2 2011, 09:32 AM
Post #2

Infiltrator

Member No.: 3,954
referrer:i'm a DIEHARD FAN!!

Wow, you've really thought this through.
But,what i love about mordor is that if you don't do everything right, something less than satisfactory will happen sneaky.gif . but anyway-

1-Thieving chests - I think you are suggesting a "buffer character skills". Sounds like a good idea.

2-Insta-healing - I also feel healing is annoying. But, i do buffer minor heal. Two ideas come from this, yours; preset H to what spell you want to use, then press H. My idea is basically that, but instead of typing in a name, you press the number, ie 1 for leader, 2 for second et c.

3-Item distribution- this doesn't affect me, as i am a pure soloer. But, a solution would be (in my mind) a check button in the options screen (along with the buffers, healing buffers, and designated chest opener) where you choose who gets loot. Alternatively, you can have a "pool items" where part identified items get thrown at the selected character, not just any item! (excluding known potions, and equipped items, and auto-equip cursed items!)

4-Banking- sounds like tosh to me. i've never had problems the guild taking money out of my bank. transferring money from characters, i use the main screen with no problem.

5-Thieving monsters- actually, monsters can't usually steal in one turn. It's all about luck. sometimes footpads steal against newbies first turn, taking their lunch money, and sometimes it takes a few turns for a cutpurse to do anything later in the game.
This all depends on your own thieving ability. But, you do have a point with the chests thing; a seasoned thief should be able to insta-steal from mages, warriors, or anyone who is not a thief, assuming they of a necessary level, are invisible, and there is no trap.
But, the thing is, thieves are taking it from your massive pockets, you have to first find the chest, then disarm any trap. thats why it takes at least two turns. and to do all this when you're being attacked? Remember, you may be a level 999 warrior, but you cannot smash open a magically locked chest with brute force. You need to consider this reality, as opposed to a... um... real reality.

6-regeneration- I agree. But, I thought it was ogres that regenerate? needless to say, they both need a lift, so give it to them both!

That's, um... my take on your take of the game that's going to be remade.

This post has been edited by rb10c: Feb 2 2011, 09:34 AM

--------------------
http://macjams.com/artist/rb10c - my music site!
mordor, my favourite game EVER!!

QUOTE (rb10c @ Feb 14 2011, 03:22 PM) *
Darn, I went off-topic on an off-topic topic. Who's going to go off topic on this off topic, off topic topic?

+Quote Post
grobblewobble
post Feb 2 2011, 02:04 PM
Post #3

Dungeon Master

Group: Mordor MP Prog
Member No.: 134
referrer:Slimey's site

I agree with rb10c on most of the things mentioned. About banks, keep in mind that at least the money of a dead character should be locked away from other characters. For this reason, I think it needs to be clear what money belongs to which person.

This post has been edited by grobblewobble: Feb 2 2011, 02:04 PM

--------------------
Fear the Society of the Psychic Tyco

+Quote Post
thermopyle
post Feb 2 2011, 03:13 PM
Post #4

Vagabond

QUOTE (rb10c @ Feb 2 2011, 09:32 AM) *
1-Thieving chests - I think you are suggesting a "buffer character skills". Sounds like a good idea.

2-Insta-healing - I also feel healing is annoying. But, i do buffer minor heal. Two ideas come from this, yours; preset H to what spell you want to use, then press H. My idea is basically that, but instead of typing in a name, you press the number, ie 1 for leader, 2 for second et c.

4-Banking- sounds like tosh to me. i've never had problems the guild taking money out of my bank. transferring money from characters, i use the main screen with no problem.

5-Thieving monsters- actually, monsters can't usually steal in one turn. It's all about luck. sometimes footpads steal against newbies first turn, taking their lunch money, and sometimes it takes a few turns for a cutpurse to do anything later in the game.
This all depends on your own thieving ability. But, you do have a point with the chests thing; a seasoned thief should be able to insta-steal from mages, warriors, or anyone who is not a thief, assuming they of a necessary level, are invisible, and there is no trap.
But, the thing is, thieves are taking it from your massive pockets, you have to first find the chest, then disarm any trap. thats why it takes at least two turns. and to do all this when you're being attacked? Remember, you may be a level 999 warrior, but you cannot smash open a magically locked chest with brute force. You need to consider this reality, as opposed to a... um... real reality.

6-regeneration- I agree. But, I thought it was ogres that regenerate? needless to say, they both need a lift, so give it to them both!

That's, um... my take on your take of the game that's going to be remade.

1+2. Yes, basically what I think would be great would be to be able to pre-set common tasks to particular characters. We open chests a lot...why not be able to set a default for which character will do that? Same thing with healing...we tend to do quite a bit of healing, and even with multiple healers, I think we usually default to a specific character for that task, so why not buffer the spell of choice by that character, and no matter what character is selected, hitting that buffer has the character of choice cast their specified healing spell?

4. I did just double check, and the guild will take money from the bank, so that part is fine, but I was right about giving money. You can test it easily--go to the bank, deposit all your money, then try to give money to another character. You'll get a "Not enough gold!" message even in town with the bank right in front of you. That's a silly bit of tedium. Yes, if you're in the dungeon you should not be able to give gold that you're not carrying, but having to go to the bank to take out money every time you want to, for example, pool resources a bit in order to let a character join a new guild...well, that's annoying. Or maybe one character doesn't have quite enough gold to level, which then requires a trip to the bank, taking out the gold, transferring the gold, going back to the guild...it doesn't add anything to the game to not have giving in town make the assumption that bank funds are available.

5. When you step into a room, you see the chest is there. So the finding part doesn't make sense. smile.gif If you're correct in that thieves have to take several turns to steal from you...well, I'll buy that, I suppose. It just seems like they grab my stuff and run, though, even though I can kill them in one hit and know they're there. That seems a bit unbalanced. wink.gif And yes, if the enemy can do that to you, with sufficient skill, the reverse should also be true. Character thieves cannot steal from monsters in the dungeon, so the reverse being true doesn't make sense.

I mean, really...you step into a room, dwarven hammer in your arms, ready to do battle...you see a thief, move to attack, get a hit in...and he has time to step close, open the backpack (at your back, meaning he gets around you in the process), dig through it, grab something, and then escape with your item or gold before you have a chance to stop him? Even if you're a level 150 warrior, a low-level thief can do that, it seems like, which makes no sense at all.

Now, I know I've been robbed immediately after stepping into a room--I think that's one of the two times that should legitimately work for monster theft (they grab it before you notice them). The other is if you are fighting more than one group of monsters, you can make the argument in that situation that they dog-piled your character and used sheer numbers to override your fighting ability and steal your stuff. Or if you're paralyzed, so that makes three. Other than those situations, theft really should not occur

6. Nope, it's trolls, traditionally. In some games I think ogres have enhanced regeneration (EQ), but I think that's just enhanced, meaning that everybody regenerates, but they do slightly faster than most. But traditionally trolls do regenerate.

+Quote Post
thermopyle
post Feb 2 2011, 03:15 PM
Post #5

Vagabond

QUOTE (grobblewobble @ Feb 2 2011, 02:04 PM) *
I agree with rb10c on most of the things mentioned. About banks, keep in mind that at least the money of a dead character should be locked away from other characters. For this reason, I think it needs to be clear what money belongs to which person.

I wasn't talking about dead characters. smile.gif When I said having one character give money to another, that was with the assumption that you could select and control the character in general. Yes, a dead character cannot give money away. But everybody else should be able to. smile.gif

+Quote Post
thermopyle
post Feb 2 2011, 03:29 PM
Post #6

Vagabond

7: Sliming. Picture this: You're fighting a Vomitis Goo, it throws some slime at you. It manages to miss you and all the gear you're wearing, and instead seeps magically into your backpack and instantly destroys one item without touching any of your other stuff...does that make sense?

A better approach for slime attacks and traps, I think, would be for it to target what is easily available on you, meaning those items you have equipped. On the other hand, if you're able to use your swords and weapons to hack a slime monster to bits, how could the slime be instantly destructive? So, instead of immediately destroying your gear, it should be more like "Your sword is covered in acid!", and you take damage over time until the sword is destroyed (or dropped), which would depend on the quality of the sword and the vileness of the slime. If you have your handy dandy cleaning agent, however, you can stop the damage (to you and the sword). Basically, it would be introducing a durability aspect to the game, similar to how Diablo and many other games use it. The store, in addition to the other services it provides, could also be paid to repair weapons.

So, this would turn sliming from "Crap! I just got this awesome sword that I never even got to identify fully and it was destroyed by an errant slime in one hit!" to the more reasonable "Crap! My cool new sword got slimed, I need to fix it before it's destroyed!"

That's a bit more fun, I think, especially in a game where good gear can take ages to come by.

+Quote Post
rb10c
post Feb 2 2011, 03:30 PM
Post #7

Infiltrator

Ah, but you not always right next to the chest. You may be in a room full of zbrats, so you think you can just waltz over to the chest? I salute you if you can.
Also, if you're against a giant, he's right by the door, he isn't going to let you past easily. Those theories is what takes chest opening time.

The transferring of money- just use the main screen, as opposed to the in-game one. its a lot more user-friendly. It never bothers me. I've never had a problem with the guild taking money from the bank. don't know if its dumb luck, or whether you are slightly bugged.

Finding the chest? What if you're in a funky shaped room, and it's round the corner? Big fat monster in the way. then you can't see it. Also, in the case of Medusa, she is the treasure. You cant just pull her head off and go.

Stealing- there are many scenarios available for theft.
Insta-steal (which you agree possible) you enter the room, and the thief leaves with some money.
Swarmed steal (ditto) thousands (slight exaggeration) of thieves jump at you, leaving you slightly lighter.
Single thief mid battle (you disagree) the thief thrusts his knife and hits/misses, and severs your bag, leaving a potion for the grabbing.

Trolls/Ogres, tomato, tomahto.

Dude, I'm not a mod yet, but thou shalt not triple post. Use the edit button.

Slime- right, now this is a discussion about realism.
you have a bag full of swords, rods, staves, etc. you're going to have to take it off to fight, no?
And acid should kill weapons, just not strong ones. I think items should age, and become more prone to acid. So, you are a level ~30 seeker, you start using a war hammer. 20 levels later, it's bound to be less than perfect. So, the store can offer maintenance, and take more of your money.

Honestly, if we are talking about realism, how does any sword work on a slime, how do hammers affect fast monsters, and why do pine staves exist?

This post has been edited by rb10c: Feb 2 2011, 03:38 PM

--------------------

Darn, I went off-topic on an off-topic topic. Who's going to go off topic on this off topic, off topic topic?

+Quote Post
thermopyle
post Feb 2 2011, 04:07 PM
Post #8

Vagabond

QUOTE (rb10c @ Feb 2 2011, 03:30 PM) *
The transferring of money- just use the main screen, as opposed to the in-game one. its a lot more user-friendly. It never bothers me. I've never had a problem with the guild taking money from the bank. don't know if its dumb luck, or whether you are slightly bugged.

Dude, I'm not a mod yet, but thou shalt not triple post. Use the edit button.

Slime- right, now this is a discussion about realism.
you have a bag full of swords, rods, staves, etc. you're going to have to take it off to fight, no?
And acid should kill weapons, just not strong ones. I think items should age, and become more prone to acid. So, you are a level ~30 seeker, you start using a war hammer. 20 levels later, it's bound to be less than perfect. So, the store can offer maintenance, and take more of your money.

Honestly, if we are talking about realism, how does any sword work on a slime, how do hammers affect fast monsters, and why do pine staves exist?

I already addressed the guild issue--please scroll up. smile.gif

Regarding exiting to the main screen to transfer money...how is that better? Instead of going to the bank and withdrawing money to give to another character, you instead exit, hit "Yes" to loading your party next time you load that character, go through the transfer process, and then launch the game again?

I haven't triple-posted...I've posted multiple different things. I did go back and add 6 to the original post immediately after making it, however. So, either you mean I'm posting the same thing multiple times (which is what most people mean by double or triple-posting, which indicates something is screwy on your end with how the messages are displaying), or are you trying to say I should address multiple posts with a single one from myself?

The reason I mentioned durability being added, and specified Diablo and other games, is because they do have an aging/usage quality to the game, so yes, I said what you agreed with. smile.gif Also, the strength of the weapon/vileness of the slime I mentioned...that could instantly or almost instantly destroy an item, yes, but only if you're using a level 1 item on a deep floor. Level 1 slimes should take a bit to destroy a level 1 weapon, whereas a level 5 slime should be able to destroy that same level 1 weapon much faster. The same with taking damage in general...a level 1 shield should not last very long on level 5. Fighting ability would prolong the shield's durability (the skill with which a warrior uses the shield could offset some of its inherit weakness, basically), but it would still be a sinking ship, durability-wise, and would require replacement with an upgraded item as possible.

Hammers should affect fast monsters, yes, but they should have a lower chance of hitting. Weapons should have speeds associated with them that have an impact on the character's ability to hit dungeon residents. This could actually play into the multiple swings discussion that has come into play in other threads; the skill and speed of the fighter, the speed of the weapon, and the skill and speed of the opponent could be used to create an equation that dynamically allows for multiple swings, as opposed to relying either on the fixed M1 approach of "You swing until you don't kill something" or M2's approach of "You swing that many times against everything." After all, a big slow bear is easier to hit 3 times than a fast little gremlin, right?

Granted, a lot of these could be timely to implement...but maybe not, and they'd certainly change the game dynamics versus the original. smile.gif

+Quote Post
rb10c
post Feb 2 2011, 04:59 PM
Post #9

Infiltrator

Granted, you posted three things with different content, but they were consecutive, where the edit button would suffice.

If you are so intent on sending money, then party pool & deposit would work. Otherwise, no reason not to go into the main menu. the GUI is a lot better.

Weapon speed, as you suggest; may or may not be implemented, But if not, wait until a beta comes out. Then you can judge the game and what contents you want. Who knows, they might have an even better weapon deterioration concept.

Weapon swings- i think fart once said, if you have NaN swings: 1st hits and kills, 2nd hits and wounds. 3rd is recuperation (getting back in the zone). 4th hits, and kills. 5th misses completely. 6th is recuperation, etc.

If I may add a concept myself, if you have an evil character, evil monsters should be in a state of parley 100%, like good/good encounters. whether that has been mentioned or not, I don't know. Charm-proof monsters should never join.
(Said this before, but) charisma should affect buy/sell prices, Reminding me i need to do a writeup of all the stats, and what they should do.

This post has been edited by rb10c: Feb 2 2011, 05:00 PM

--------------------

+Quote Post
grobblewobble
post Feb 3 2011, 01:13 PM
Post #10

Dungeon Master

Member No.: 134
referrer:Slimey's site

A lot of interesting ideas. In my opinion realism is not really a goal, though. Simple rules that are fun to play are good enough imo. If you can open chests without killing the monster in 1 round, that seems a bit cheesy from a gaming perspective, realistic or not. If monsters take multiple rounds to steal from you, they will not steal at all because thieving monsters generally aren't tough enough to survive a fight that long. So I think thiefing is not at all bad the way it is.

Talking about realism, I love the fact that a warrior/thief can backstab things with a hammer. happy.gif

I guess it would be a good idea if transferring money would be a bit more user-friendly. But do note that you can use the Party Pool option in the bank to transfer money between characters without withdrawing it.

This post has been edited by grobblewobble: Feb 3 2011, 01:15 PM

--------------------
Fear the Society of the Psychic Tyco

+Quote Post
rb10c
post Feb 3 2011, 01:35 PM
Post #11

Infiltrator

QUOTE (grobblewobble @ Feb 3 2011, 01:13 PM) *
A lot of interesting ideas. In my opinion realism is not really a goal, though. Simple rules that are fun to play are good enough imo. If you can open chests without killing the monster in 1 round, that seems a bit cheesy from a gaming perspective, realistic or not. If monsters take multiple rounds to steal from you, they will not steal at all because thieving monsters generally aren't tough enough to survive a fight that long. So I think thiefing is not at all bad the way it is.

Talking about realism, I love the fact that a warrior/thief can backstab things with a hammer. happy.gif

I guess it would be a good idea if transferring money would be a bit more user-friendly. But do note that you can use the Party Pool option in the bank to transfer money between characters without withdrawing it.

I noted that too with my warhammer. Maybe with the handle, no? Beheading, is a different story, though. Unless you hit the head so hard, it comes off! laugh.gif

I also use the party pool, when I seldom use a party. But to be brutally honest, the in-game item/money transfer is a bit hideous. (Sorry DA!)
What I'd imagine in a pipe dream, is a parley screen, where the party is split into four corners, displaying their bag and gold. (Or gold on hand, in the dungeon.) And the user can click-and-drag to their hearts content.

--------------------

+Quote Post
Danjen
post Feb 4 2011, 05:03 AM
Post #12

Veteran

Member No.: 3,498
referrer:Decklin's Domain

1: Makes sense.

2: Ehh maybe, would have to remap hotkeys for it to work.

3: Makes sense.

4: Money behaves like this already.

5: Maybe. I mean, the creatures have been the in depths stealing for their entire lives. Maybe once you've hit level 100+ thieving and high speed and with a little luck you could see a difference, but still...

6: Adding a "simple effect" like regeneration would be a lot of work, especially since there are not effects like that in Mordor as it stands.

+Quote Post
thermopyle
post Feb 4 2011, 05:27 AM
Post #13

Vagabond

QUOTE (Danjen @ Feb 4 2011, 06:03 AM) *
6: Adding a "simple effect" like regeneration would be a lot of work, especially since there are not effects like that in Mordor as it stands.

Actually, this is not true. smile.gif Poison, disease, and the like have the exact same characteristic, only reversed. Regeneration would just be like adding a new affliction, setting the timeout to never, and having it add hp instead of subtract it. In terms of adding that to the game, I really don't think it would be very difficult.

+Quote Post
Danjen
post Feb 4 2011, 06:02 AM
Post #14

Veteran

Member No.: 3,498
referrer:Decklin's Domain

QUOTE (thermopyle @ Feb 4 2011, 12:27 AM) *
Poison, disease

...Touche.

You'd still need to have it not clear from the status screen, make it transparent (not visible to the player) and somehow have it permanent and non-dispellable (anti-magic traps, entering city, etc). Even so, I guess it's more doable... forgot about poison/disease.

+Quote Post
thermopyle
post Feb 4 2011, 06:48 AM
Post #15

Vagabond

QUOTE (Danjen @ Feb 4 2011, 07:02 AM) *
...Touche.

You'd still need to have it not clear from the status screen, make it transparent (not visible to the player) and somehow have it permanent and non-dispellable (anti-magic traps, entering city, etc). Even so, I guess it's more doable... forgot about poison/disease.

Poison and disease don't disappear with anti-magic traps, I think, and entering the city would not matter--if you're in the city, you have full health. That would just require an if statement (if current health == maximum health, increase = 0), or something like that (which would have the same effect when you're in the dungeon and full). This would be replacing the current equation used to check for the poison or disease wearing off each tick of the game clock. Transparent...it shouldn't show anything in the party menu, true (like Po for Poison, instead this should have an empty string associated with it, for simplicity in programming). The status screen should show a red Regenerating, just like it shows Invisible, Floating, etc..

I think that's everything, but obviously I don't know the depths of the game's programming. smile.gif

This post has been edited by thermopyle: Feb 4 2011, 06:50 AM

+Quote Post
rb10c
post Feb 4 2011, 07:03 AM
Post #16

Infiltrator

We have a conundrum here. if it goes in the po/di/par section, then the coding would suggest that it would, at some point run out. But, if it goes with levitating and floating, then it would be dispelled by extinguish squares.
The third answer is to treat it as a natural resistance, as that is never dispelled.

This would be a lot easier, if an item inflicted a permanent state of poison.

Idea, some cursed items inflict negative effects, such as lowered resistance, or random poison! Example, the cloak of snakes!

Erm... I think,at this point, regeneration is a bit optimistic. As is my above idea.

--------------------

+Quote Post
thermopyle
post Feb 4 2011, 08:14 AM
Post #17

Vagabond

Well, as the program is, each attribute should have their own function with an equation that determines how long the affected character has to suffer. Using M1 as my basis, I'll describe what the programming probably looks like for this.

For example, for poison:

If character Y is poisoned then
Set Y's party status to Po
Add Poisoned to Y's character attributes
while poisoned for each tick
(
Decrease Y's health
Give chance to recover from poison (use poison level, character con, and ticks since poisoned to calculate cure chance)
)
Remove Po from Y's party status
Remove Poisoned from Y's character attributes

Each one of the poison, disease, and paralysis attributes will have a function something like this. For regeneration, you'd simply leave off the party status command, leave regenerating on the character attributes screen, and increase health for each tick. Health is already capped globally (this is what keeps heal spells from going over your max health), so you actually wouldn't even have to worry about the regeneration going too far, as I had stated earlier.

I'll admit I've never messed with Visual Basic, but I've done a few other languages (including some Java, which I believe is supposed to be similar in GUI layout), and VB is supposed to be pretty simple. It should be pretty close to the complexity I've described.

+Quote Post
rb10c
post Feb 4 2011, 04:27 PM
Post #18

Infiltrator

As mentioned a bajillion times, i'm not a coder.
The protocol you wrote does make sense for poison, though I'm sure a veteran will tell us.

But, GUI doesn't effect the end product, I daresay. Just makes it easier for some functions to do, as compared to other functions.

Ah, i just remembered, i have used VB. Only for making a random number generator, in excel. Not too sure if that counts.

Again, following the basis of that code, regeneration will be far too buggy. Sometimes it could dispel, sometimes it may never start, sometimes it may even show up as a status infliction. Even if it does work, it will be far too powerful.

Imagine it; a fight with Asmo. You get hit for 300 hits. all you need to do is step out of the room, and wait. Yes, it complies with the "grind" concept of the game, but would be overpowered, and tedious. It would also make healing spells useless. Furthermore, It removes the point in poison resistance, for those who have regeneration. Evermore, to implant the regeneration concept, you will (most likely) have to remove either poison, paralysis or disease.

Good thoughts from the regeneration concept would be that it nulls poison/ poison nulls regen, it makes trolls/ogres playable (if max HP gained from constitution is docked)

Why don't you consider getting stuck into the code yourself, and see what you achieve?

And then, possibly shoot a message over to Decklin to make your "regeneration mod" available to those less experienced in coding?

This post has been edited by rb10c: Feb 4 2011, 04:32 PM

--------------------

+Quote Post
thermopyle
post Feb 4 2011, 05:54 PM
Post #19

Vagabond

Actually, the stuff I mentioned should be ALL the code for regeneration, not just the GUI aspect. There's not much involved in that; on the GUI side, you have three areas affected; the party menu (HPs going up), the character's status screen (Showing Regenerating in red) and the status effect equation (the rate at which HPs are regenerated each tick). There would be a couple of other things that could accompany it...like if the character is poisoned or diseased, the regeneration and the poison and disease would conflict with each other, so if you're losing 2 hp per tick to poison, and 2 hp per tick to disease, but gaining 3hp per tick for regeneration...you'd be losing 1hp per tick overall until the poison and disease fade away (or you die!). I think trolls' regeneration should also cause poison/disease to go away faster, however. The flip side to keep this from being too over-powered is that I'd say Trolls would not have access to classes with healing spells. That would leave natural regeneration as their only method of staying alive, aside from items. That would, I think, be balanced.

By the way, there's absolutely no reason for any of the issues you suggested to even occur. The regeneration not starting...it would always be running as an automatic function of the character. Similarly, it could not dispel--that's extra code written into spells, which would not be added here at all. I haven't done coding, but I can tell you confidently that I've done enough to know those issues would not have any reason to occur. smile.gif

Regarding the mod...I know how to do this type of coding with source code and notes enough to figure out how the base program works. If there's some resources that say where this stuff is in the code, I could probably do that, but I'm not sure if this stuff is in the data files or the source code. If it's in the source code, I saw a post mentioning a way to decompile the game. If that actually works I could try it. I'm not sure if that's the right approach or not...maybe somebody who has done some modding for Mordor will give a suggestion? smile.gif

+Quote Post
rb10c
post Feb 4 2011, 06:05 PM
Post #20

Infiltrator

The reason it may not begin could be due to the full health, on leaving the city, or the fact that you don't leave the city with poison.

It could dispel on extinguish squares, or extinguish traps.

Fair do's, you balanced the regeneration.

This is assuming that the coding of po/di is nice and crisp. It could be an epic novel of coding, for all I know. What I do know, is that David Allen liked to make his formulae complicated, to exite the game more, and to stop calculators.

As for those who may give suggestions; Nudibranch is coding MXP, userjjb made the total conversion; ModDor. Aardless seems pretty nifty too. These guys are your best bet.

--------------------

+Quote Post

3 Pages V   1 2 3 >
Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 20th September 2020 - 07:28 AM
Bridged By IpbWiki: Integration Of Invision Power Board and MediaWiki © GlobalSoft
Copyrights and Credits