> Community Contests - Round 3
Crusher Junior
post Jan 26 2011, 06:49 PM
Post #1

Nomad Slayer

Group: Mordor MP Mod
Member No.: 10
referrer:braindead

We have received some great descriptions from the community so far. Keep it up! Remember, if we chose to use your description in the final release, your name will be included in the game credits. In the meantime, we will move on to the next round!

This round features a handful of items for Paladins, including one new item, the Shield of Valour.

Please read through the first post of this thread for rules and guidelines before posting your description(s).

Items

Monsters
  • Holy Warrior (Warrior, level 10)
  • Wizard (Mage, level 11)
  • Gorgon (Mythical, level 15)
  • Pit Viper (Reptile, level 4)
  • Ice Demon (Water-Dweller, level 3)

We look forward to reading your descriptions!

--------------------
It's only funny until someone gets hurt...then it's HILARIOUS

To misquote Bill Gates: "500 million should be enough for anyone".
-elro
Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post
grobblewobble
post Jan 27 2011, 02:09 PM
Post #2

Dungeon Master

Group: Mordor MP Prog
Member No.: 134
referrer:Slimey's site

Question: has the war hammer been changed into a paladin-only weapon?

Ice demon.
These creatures are one of the more exotic lifeforms that inhabit the dungeon. They're a weird breed of amphibians with excellent swimming skills, but they also have well developed arms and legs. It is not clear whether they are the result of a freak mutation or of magical experiments. They are intelligent and playful, as long as they don't feel threatened. Their favourite way of hunting is freezing the water around the prey with their immensely cold breath.

This post has been edited by grobblewobble: Jan 27 2011, 02:11 PM

--------------------
Fear the Society of the Psychic Tyco

+Quote Post
Crusher Junior
post Jan 27 2011, 10:15 PM
Post #3

Nomad Slayer

Group: Mordor MP Mod
Member No.: 10
referrer:braindead

QUOTE (grobblewobble @ Jan 27 2011, 09:09 AM) *
Question: has the war hammer been changed into a paladin-only weapon?

No, but it was included in the list nonetheless.

--------------------
It's only funny until someone gets hurt...then it's HILARIOUS

To misquote Bill Gates: "500 million should be enough for anyone".
-elro

+Quote Post
grobblewobble
post Feb 1 2011, 12:07 AM
Post #4

Dungeon Master

Member No.: 134
referrer:Slimey's site

Pit Viper
A particularly sadistic type of snake, it doesn't like to actively hunt for prey like most of its kin. Instead, they prefer to wait patiently on the bottom of a pit, until an unfortunate adventurer stumbles into it. So they can deliver a good poisonous bite into the unfortunate adventurers ankles.

Paladin's Helm
Ordinary people are perfectly happy to protect their head with a sturdy cap or a good quality helmet. A paladin's helm, however, needs to be polished until you can see your own reflection in it, so that it is clear for all to see they are dealing with a nobleman, rather than a common mercenary.

Shield of Valour
This large white shield radiates hope and courage. It is painted with the sign of the holy lord and carries a powerful blessing. Only those have sworn sacred oaths to be honourable servants of Good can be protected by it.

--------------------
Fear the Society of the Psychic Tyco

+Quote Post
Caudex
post Feb 1 2011, 03:53 PM
Post #5

Journeyman

Group: Members
Member No.: 616
referrer:google

Holy Sword:

Weapons of fearsome repute, legend has it that these blades are imbued with the souls of paladins long dead from battle. It is said that the wizard who first enchanted one of these swords originally gave it a voice, allowing the wisdom of ages past to be passed on throughout the weapon's existence. Unfortunately, the first paladin proved so self righteous that the wizard soon tired of his constant criticism and preaching, threw the sword into a well and swore never to make the same mistake again. To this day, residents of a small village in the mountains swear that on quiet nights they can hear a slightly tinny voice lamenting the loose morals of local girls as they dare to show their ankles in public.

--------------------
et qui nolunt occidere quemquam posse volunt. Juvenal, Satire X

+Quote Post
thermopyle
post Feb 4 2011, 06:40 AM
Post #6

Vagabond

Group: Members Plus
Member No.: 6,522

War Hammer (level 2)

The War Hammer is not an elegant weapon. The haft is formed part of ogre arm and part of chair leg. The head is a jagged chunk of brick from the walls of Mordor's cursed dungeons. Brutal and efficient, this overgrown club is well-suited for crushing enemies one blow at a time.

Paladin's Armour (level 15)

Imbued with the righteous might of the one true God, this plate armour strikes the unholy with awe and terror. Only worn by those of proven valor, the wearer's party members need not fear following this beacon into the darkness.

Holy Warrior (Warrior, level 10)

Paladins of a holy order, these vigilant souls patrol the dungeon halls to strike down evil wherever it hides. Too weak to venture deeper, they train to one day strike at Mordor's dark heart.

Wizard (Mage, level 11)

Seeking hidden secrets in the depths of the dungeon, the wizard was driven mad by its evil. Turning from ancient lore, he now delves for knowledge of bioelectricity in the muscle and nerve cells of those who cross his path. Beware, for his depraved experiments require subjects both dead and living...

Gorgon (Mythical, level 15)

A campfire terror, this monster was long thought myth. Stirrings of fear have slowly coiled through your gut with encounters of life-like statues in the depths of the dungeon. You swallow, but your throat is dry, and you close your eyes, preparing to fight blind. The slither of the snake-woman's scales upon the stone floor alerts you to her advance...

My entries. Went ahead and just took everything that was left, since I'd never played before. wink.gif

This post has been edited by thermopyle: Feb 4 2011, 08:38 AM

+Quote Post
Technomancer
post Feb 10 2011, 07:39 AM
Post #7

Drifter

Member No.: 4,716
referrer:Google, TWICE!

Alright, I finally got a couple, hope you like:

* Paladin's Armour (level 15)

There are holy artifacts, and then there are Holy Artifacts. The forces of darkness are forced to cover their eyes in the presence of a Paladin righteous and powerful enough to don this suit of mythril armor with intricate glyphs and décor made from silver and platinum. These precious metal do not look as if they have been worked into the mythril, but look as if they are part of the metal itself, as if it was all made of one fluid process. The glyphs and symbols outline Holy rituals of might and protection. The most striking feature however, is a metallic feather of almost unimaginable detail and craftsmanship embedded into the breastplate. To those of Good or Neutrality, it is merely a beautiful embellishment, but to the eyes of Evildoers, this feather burns with a righteous might that can make even demons and devils doubt themselves. Some believe the feather is actually a feather that once belonged to an Angel, while others believe the armor itself may have been crafted by, and possibly worn by, Angels. Such stories are usually only popular amongst the faithful, however. The faithful, and the denizens of the depths.

* Holy Warrior (Warrior, level 10)

For some who are dedicated to the eradication of Evil, spending most of their time amongst civilization while occasionally venturing into the dark realms to strike a blow will suffice. For those such as the Holy Warrior, this is grossly insufficient. These zealots live in the dark realms, determined to establish permanent strongholds in order to squeeze out the forces of Evil by sheer righteous might. Considered radical, or downright barmy, by even the Paladin’s guild, they are mostly comprised of ex-Paladins and Warriors who could no longer stand to simply poke and prod at the darkness beneath their feet.

They occasionally work with other warriors in the depths, but are hyper-paranoid. Being constantly surrounded by unspeakable things that exist only to take your life, innards, and/or mortal soul can do that to a person. As such, they have been known to attack adventurers if surprised. Unfortunately, many of the jumpier adventurers suffer from the same affliction.

This post has been edited by Technomancer: Feb 10 2011, 07:40 AM

+Quote Post
ShadowCat17
post Feb 17 2011, 12:29 AM
Post #8

Drifter

Member No.: 2,499

A side note -- reading over a lot of these descriptions from the first 3 rounds, it might do some good to tone the descriptions down a bit, especially for these relatively low-level items and monsters. From the descriptions I would think that level 3 monsters you can kill by blinking are actually more powerful than God himself, and that each of the low lvl items you get tired of selling back to the store are actually long lost specialties that were passed down through the royal family line for generations. Save the epic descriptions for items/monsters that deserve it more, otherwise they will all blend together.

Just my two cents

I'm diggin' thermo's war hammer description

+Quote Post
Danjen
post Feb 17 2011, 02:04 AM
Post #9

Veteran

Member No.: 3,498
referrer:Decklin's Domain

What, the land can't have a dozen distinct ancient and long-lost kingdoms in the same 100 mile radius? tongue.gif

+Quote Post
Nudibranch
post Feb 17 2011, 10:10 AM
Post #10

Fire Master

Member No.: 71
referrer:search

It's all just game flavor anyway. Hype is fun. cool.gif

--------------------
I would have started with lasers. Eight o'clock. Day one.

+Quote Post
Willow Da'hrok
post Feb 25 2011, 11:12 PM
Post #11

Apprentice

Member No.: 6,577
referrer:Mordor XP

Items

* Holy Sword (level 9)
This is no ordinary blade. The holy sword is forged under the blessings, and imbued with the prayers of the holy craftsmen of a now-lost monastery. Although the external appearance of this sword is much like any other, a holy warrior will find it more than effective for dispatching everlasting judgment.

* War Hammer (level 2)
Subtlety is not the point of the war hammer! (In fact the war hammer has very few points on it at all.) Not much more than a large rock with a handle; it requires strength to use effectively but is a deadly weapon in good hands. Swing hard for maximum damage.

---------------------------------------------------------------------------
Monsters

* Pit Viper (Reptile, level 4)
A small-medium, slightly poisonous snake. Prefers to stay in dark enclosed spaces, particularly at the bottom of pits where it waits in ambush for small animals particularly rats. Often accidentally stepped on by adventurers giving it an unfair reputation for being naturally angry. If encountered in the open it is probably better not to provoke however the pit viper should not provide much of a danger to a seasoned adventurer, but the snake's poison could weaken and damage the unprepared.

* Ice Demon (Water-Dweller, level 3)
Demon is somewhat of a misnomer, the ice demon is actually a medium-sized , water-dwelling amphibian. Somewhat mysteriously it is able to cause cold-based damage (hence it's moniker), although just as often it will attack with claws and teeth. Although it is territorial and aggressive to adventurers, it is often found in the company of other water-dwellers. The fierce sounding name and tall tales spun by old-hands in the tavern, often lead the inexperienced to treat it with more respect than it deserves. Serious spelunkers save that respect for the true demons of the lower levels.

+Quote Post
Caudex
post Feb 27 2011, 12:25 AM
Post #12

Journeyman

This may be nothing more than the result of an insiginficant pet peeve, but is there any chance the description of a war hammer can actually reflect what a war hammer is for a change? I mean, rather than being portrayed as a massive block of metal on the end of a pole, with about as much craftsmanship and design as your average turd, accept that in reality it's an elegant if admittedly simple solution to the problem of armoured opponents. If nothing more, it would be nice if the basic image were vaguely similar to reality, looking more like a pick with one blunted end than what so many rpg's would have us believe. In a bid not to be the git who does nothing more than complain, I'll even offer a potential description:

War Hammer:

The War Hammer is a simple lesson in momentum: long shaft + heavy hammer = pain. The hammer itself has two sides, each with different aims: one blunt to shatter bone, the other pointed to pierce anything from thick hide to plate armour. The sheer forces involved require great strength from the user for any hope of control, but a skilled warrior can turn what appears a crude weapon into a highly versatile tool.

Less exciting, perhaps, than some other offerings, but it seems strange to me that the war hammer is the only weapon that the world of fantasy in general routinely takes so far from its actual form and function.

--------------------

+Quote Post
thermopyle
post Feb 27 2011, 05:20 PM
Post #13

Vagabond

Member No.: 6,522

I described it the way I did because of the early availability. Obviously a low-level item should not sound particularly impressive, so that's the approach I took for my take on it. smile.gif

+Quote Post
aardless
post Feb 27 2011, 06:03 PM
Post #14

Goblin Shaman at work (used to be: on strike...)

Group: Admin
Member No.: 18
referrer::yahoo:

@Caudex: we tried to cater to both crowds, some hammers do have a squarish block head of metal while others have a more historical look. In the case of the Warhammer I'm afraid we used a block. tongue.gif Did you see the picture in Crusher's post?
War hammers historically are IIRC the most advanced weapon before the invention of the musket. Handy when you couldn't slash open a plate armour with any sword.

--------------------
If money doesn't grow on trees, why is it that banks have branches? - sig of a guy on a chinese forum

Most off-topic topics are off-topic - fart642000

+Quote Post
Caudex
post Mar 1 2011, 05:42 PM
Post #15

Journeyman

Fair enough. It was worth a try, I suppose. I'll just have to find solace for my embittered soul by returning to a life spent scouring other forums for the chance to set people straight on the true nature of Magna Carta and its place within the general development of the English legal system. Fare thee well, efforts at historical accuracy; god speed on your journey further into insignificance.

--------------------

+Quote Post
rb10c
post Mar 1 2011, 06:58 PM
Post #16

Infiltrator

Member No.: 3,954
referrer:i'm a DIEHARD FAN!!

Maybe it can be used to describe the dwarven hammer, or of that kind? Both are remarkable descriptions!
I thought a warhammer was a large heavy pin-hammer, not a big chunky mallet, but thats MM7 for you.

--------------------
http://macjams.com/artist/rb10c - my music site!
mordor, my favourite game EVER!!

QUOTE (rb10c @ Feb 14 2011, 03:22 PM) *
Darn, I went off-topic on an off-topic topic. Who's going to go off topic on this off topic, off topic topic?

+Quote Post

Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 22nd September 2020 - 08:06 AM
Bridged By IpbWiki: Integration Of Invision Power Board and MediaWiki © GlobalSoft
Copyrights and Credits