> Will Mordor XP be open-source?
sparkymat
post Jun 7 2010, 09:17 AM
Post #1

Student

Group: Members
Member No.: 6,298
referrer:Google

Is the development open-sourced? Will it ever be? If its not, is it because of the licensing of the images and other materials?
Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post
sparkymat
post Jun 7 2010, 09:20 AM
Post #2

Student

How do I correct the title of the thread?

This post has been edited by sparkymat: Jun 7 2010, 09:21 AM

+Quote Post
Danjen
post Jun 7 2010, 10:58 AM
Post #3

Veteran

Group: Mordor MP Prog
Member No.: 3,498
referrer:Decklin's Domain

Edit the first post's title.

I'm not sure of the open source status. It is based on a licensed games, which I believe Decklin holds the rights to. So, unless he wishes to release the source, any work of Mordor (or any derivation of it) will not be so. I might be wrong; someone can correct me if I am not correct.

+Quote Post
rb10c
post Jun 7 2010, 12:51 PM
Post #4

Infiltrator

Group: Members Plus
Member No.: 3,954
referrer:i'm a DIEHARD FAN!!

i reeealy want it to be open source! it makes it so much easier to make mods!

--------------------
http://macjams.com/artist/rb10c - my music site!
mordor, my favourite game EVER!!

QUOTE (rb10c @ Feb 14 2011, 03:22 PM) *
Darn, I went off-topic on an off-topic topic. Who's going to go off topic on this off topic, off topic topic?

+Quote Post
Danjen
post Jun 7 2010, 03:39 PM
Post #5

Veteran

You confusing the meaning of open source. Open source means you can view the actual source code for the main executable file. Mordor has never been open source. The editors that are available now work by changing the data, as opposed to the coding; as it stands, MXP has a number of editors which work exclusively for it, which may or may not be made public.

+Quote Post
Crusher Junior
post Jun 7 2010, 11:28 PM
Post #6

Nomad Slayer

Group: Mordor MP Mod
Member No.: 10
referrer:braindead

As Danjen said above, MXP will not be open source because Decklin holds the rights to Mordor 1, Mordor 2, and DEMISE. We will likely release the editors to the public at some time (one for the map, and one for everything else). The editor has many functions that I'm sure players will enjoy toying around with. smile.gif

--------------------
It's only funny until someone gets hurt...then it's HILARIOUS

To misquote Bill Gates: "500 million should be enough for anyone".
-elro

+Quote Post
Danjen
post Jun 8 2010, 02:25 AM
Post #7

Veteran

Oh god yes, the editors! They blow everything else out of the water; you can change pretty much everything. smile.gif

+Quote Post
aardless
post Jun 9 2010, 10:04 PM
Post #8

Goblin Shaman at work (used to be: on strike...)

Group: Admin
Member No.: 18
referrer::yahoo:

QUOTE (Danjen @ Jun 7 2010, 12:58 PM) *
Edit the first post's title.
[OT]Does this work? I got the impression, from a similar question that arose a couple of weeks ago, that default users can't edit the thread title.

--------------------
If money doesn't grow on trees, why is it that banks have branches? - sig of a guy on a chinese forum

Most off-topic topics are off-topic - fart642000

+Quote Post
Danjen
post Jun 9 2010, 10:19 PM
Post #9

Veteran

Hm, not sure then. I know that's usually what one would do for forums.

+Quote Post
aardless
post Jun 9 2010, 11:02 PM
Post #10

Yup, it is. It would be good to have confirmation from sparkymat or any other Member.

--------------------
If money doesn't grow on trees, why is it that banks have branches? - sig of a guy on a chinese forum

+Quote Post
Crusher Junior
post Jun 10 2010, 11:22 PM
Post #11

Nomad Slayer

Group: Mordor MP Mod
Member No.: 10
referrer:braindead

Members cannot edit topic titles. I was the one that edited this one a few days ago.

--------------------
It's only funny until someone gets hurt...then it's HILARIOUS

To misquote Bill Gates: "500 million should be enough for anyone".
-elro

+Quote Post
sparkymat
post Jun 11 2010, 10:14 AM
Post #12

Student

QUOTE (aardless @ Jun 10 2010, 04:32 AM) *
Yup, it is. It would be good to have confirmation from sparkymat or any other Member.

Nope. I was not able to edit the title. Sorry for the delay in responding.

+Quote Post
znork
post Oct 19 2010, 04:38 PM
Post #13

Journeyman

Member No.: 1,930
referrer:Old Mordor forum.

Ok, I'm not a lawyer, but I know quite a bit about U.S. and European copyright and trademark law, especially in the context of computer software and open source.

QUOTE (Danjen @ Jun 7 2010, 10:58 AM) *
I'm not sure of the open source status. It is based on a licensed games, which I believe Decklin holds the rights to. So, unless he wishes to release the source, any work of Mordor (or any derivation of it) will not be so. I might be wrong; someone can correct me if I am not correct.

This is completely incorrect. It stems from a confusion of trademark law and copyright. Decklin may own the trademark 'Mordor' when used in a very specific context, like a dungeon crawling computer or console game. This is similar to how you cannot make a computer game called Tetris without license from The Tetris Company. You cannot own a game concept/idea. It's possible to own the rights to names of original characters. The U.S. status of the Mordor trademark is Abandoned, but I doubt he wants you to change your name because Mordor XP, if popular, will lead to more sales of the original products.

These issues are exactly the same whether you release the source code or not. Now, the code.

You own the copyright of any code you write. There is no connection between Decklin and your code. You may choose to give it away, sell it, sell the finished game, delete it, whatever you want. It's YOURS. You are free to open source it.

If you have used any of the code from the original games, you will have to replace it with your own code, but I doubt this is the case. You are free to implement loading and saving routines for old Mordor saves if you wish as well, and there are interoperability laws specifically protecting your right to do this. If anyone think you used their patents you may have to circumvent (reimplement) those parts.

There are hundreds of examples of this, but I'll just go with FreeCiv as the strongest example of a 'copied', but completely legal game.

This post has been edited by znork: Oct 19 2010, 07:02 PM

+Quote Post
Danjen
post Oct 19 2010, 05:50 PM
Post #14

Veteran

Huh. Well that's good to know.

+Quote Post
aardless
post Oct 24 2010, 09:14 PM
Post #15

QUOTE (znork @ Oct 19 2010, 06:38 PM) *
You cannot own a game concept/idea.
I'm not a lawyer either, but I'd be wary of bundling "game concept" with "idea". Game concept screams "copyright" at the top of its lungs, while ideas of course can't be subjected to intellectual property. In theory, that is.
The U.S. status of the Mordor trademark is Abandoned, but I doubt he wants you to change your name because Mordor XP, if popular, will lead to more sales of the original products.
OK, I'm quite a bit interested in these things, but holy cow, never heard of that site and what an awesome link! blink.gif Thank you!!!! ok.gif

You own the copyright of any code you write. There is no connection between Decklin and your code. You may choose to give it away, sell it, sell the finished game, delete it, whatever you want. It's YOURS. You are free to open source it.

If you have used any of the code from the original games, you will have to replace it with your own code, but I doubt this is the case. You are free to implement loading and saving routines for old Mordor saves if you wish as well, and there are interoperability laws specifically protecting your right to do this. If anyone think you used their patents you may have to circumvent (reimplement) those parts.

There are hundreds of examples of this, but I'll just go with FreeCiv as the strongest example of a 'copied', but completely legal game.
Right, the game is going to be free but closed source, that was a decision taken right from the start when I wasn't even a member of the project. I suppose each of us has their own reason for closed source, for me it's: closed source= not copyright-free in the mind of 99% of the users; meaning you can't just grab my pics without asking my permission, and that suits me just fine. Actually I'll release a lower res version for free, but the big pics are going to be in MXP only. Or at least that's my plan currently.

--------------------

+Quote Post
Serefan
post Aug 31 2011, 09:16 AM
Post #16

Journeyman

Member No.: 5,785
referrer:Wikipedia

QUOTE (aardless @ Oct 24 2010, 11:14 PM) *
Meaning you can't just grab my pics without asking my permission, and that suits me just fine. Actually I'll release a lower res version for free, but the big pics are going to be in MXP only. Or at least that's my plan currently.

I just started my own opensource project for the first time, and I was surprised to see how many opensource licenses there are. Most, if not all, naturally allow others to download your pictures and whatnot; but I thought there were some that state that they can be downloaded and viewed, but not used. I'm not an expert on this, but I'm sure there'd be a license that would fit the team's needs. Opensource doesn't mean just that; there are a variety of differences.

If you're interested:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Comparison_of...ftware_licenses

+Quote Post

Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 20th September 2020 - 01:29 PM
Bridged By IpbWiki: Integration Of Invision Power Board and MediaWiki © GlobalSoft
Copyrights and Credits