Crusher Junior
post Jun 3 2010, 01:52 AM
Post #41

Nomad Slayer

Group: Mordor MP Mod
Member No.: 10
referrer:braindead

QUOTE (sparkymat @ Jun 1 2010, 05:15 AM) *
Hpyothetically, if I wanted to make my own Mordor re-make, do I need to get permissions to use the name, images, object/character/item names?

Yes, you need Decklin's permission to use any content from Mordor/Mordor 2/DEMISE. Just shoot him a PM over at Decklin's Domain and ask him politely. smile.gif

--------------------
It's only funny until someone gets hurt...then it's HILARIOUS

To misquote Bill Gates: "500 million should be enough for anyone".
-elro
Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post
ShadowCat17
post Jun 9 2010, 04:57 AM
Post #42

Drifter

Group: Members Plus
Member No.: 2,499
referrer:google

another month, another nothing. so depressing. It will never get finished. Prove me wrong

+Quote Post
Danjen
post Jun 9 2010, 05:35 AM
Post #43

Veteran

Group: Mordor MP Prog
Member No.: 3,498
referrer:Decklin's Domain

Many of the devs kind of went away for a few months, but things are picking up again. Worry not!

+Quote Post
sparkymat
post Jun 9 2010, 10:01 AM
Post #44

Student

Group: Members
Member No.: 6,298
referrer:Google

So we can expect a beta release soon?

+Quote Post
ShadowCat17
post Jun 9 2010, 05:43 PM
Post #45

Drifter

we understand that if we start from the beginning of 2004 when development last started from scratch, and if we assume only 3 people are on the development team (there are probably more?), and assuming each person on the development team spends just one hour per *week* working on it, then that is the equivalent of over 1000 man-hours... the bi-monthly updates at least used to show what very slow progress was being made every two *months*, but now we don't even have those. What is there left to do in the project

+Quote Post
Nudibranch
post Jun 9 2010, 08:48 PM
Post #46

Fire Master

Member No.: 71
referrer:search

The project was without any active programmers for the last year or so. I recently joined the team, and I'm focusing on getting the thing into a release-worthy state as soon as possible. It's pretty close, although there are still some fairly important bugs to squash and a lot of tweaking still needed.

I'd love to be able to say by the end of 2010 -- but we'll see. Rest assured we all want this thing out the door.

--------------------
I would have started with lasers. Eight o'clock. Day one.

+Quote Post
Danjen
post Jun 9 2010, 09:06 PM
Post #47

Veteran

There is a handful of art that also needs done. For the most part it's good, but a number of items and monsters are still needing a picture.

+Quote Post
gruevy
post Jun 9 2010, 09:35 PM
Post #48

Journeyman

Member No.: 4,444
referrer:google search

It doesn't need all the pictures to be in for the earliest beta release. Don't let that hold you up. :/

+Quote Post
Danjen
post Jun 9 2010, 09:53 PM
Post #49

Veteran

It's more of a programming thing, if I recall. Like Nudibranch said, the it is a little behind, since we didn't have anyone on it for an extended time. Besides, I'm just an artist, I don't control when it will be released. smile.gif

+Quote Post
aardless
post Jun 9 2010, 10:41 PM
Post #50

Goblin Shaman at work (used to be: on strike...)

Group: Admin
Member No.: 18
referrer::yahoo:

QUOTE (ShadowCat17 @ Jun 9 2010, 07:43 PM) *
we understand that if we start from the beginning of 2004 when development last started from scratch, and if we assume only 3 people are on the development team (there are probably more?), and assuming each person on the development team spends just one hour per *week* working on it, then that is the equivalent of over 1000 man-hours... the bi-monthly updates at least used to show what very slow progress was being made every two *months*, but now we don't even have those. What is there left to do in the project

I'm sorry to say it doesn't work like that. I used to work quite a few hours a day on pictures and I estimate I spent well over 4000 hours on graphics alone. However people grow up and I now need to do things in the so-called real life, so that I didn't do more than a handful of pictures in the last year, and probably won't do very many more this coming summer. It's now time for other people to step up and fill the void as needed. Graphics are for the most part done, perhaps 95% done for the M1 items and monsters, and an unknown percentage depending on how many items and monsters we want to add, which is a fairly elastic thing with a will all its own. Descriptions are a bit less complete and, as said, programming has been our black beast all along.
I know it's frustrating to wait for the game to be released, but think for a moment at our own frustration at our own lack of time, will or just inspiration. As the project nears completion I have come to realise just how ideas are so very strange beasts, coming and going, seeding and sprouting, changing and interacting, and ultimately birthing and dying. Not that you can kill an idea. happy.gif Hmm, where was I? hypocrite.gif
But seriously, with Nudibranch at last on the coding I expect a beta/release candidate/whatever to become available before the end of 2011; depending on his free time it could be much sooner than that.

--------------------
If money doesn't grow on trees, why is it that banks have branches? - sig of a guy on a chinese forum

Most off-topic topics are off-topic - fart642000

+Quote Post
Sethos
post Jun 9 2010, 11:08 PM
Post #51

Apprentice

Member No.: 6,154

Cheerleaders wanted! (Boy, what a way to start your first post...)

To the Dev Team - Just so that you know, just from what I've seen, things are so polished from what was in the original Mordor, that I'll keep on waiting for what you've got in store for us - Imagine, mordor + a story, more level to conquer, new beasties to be slain by (err... to slay) a new look, a new feel.

Just wanted to give you all a big ok.gif for what you've all accomplished, and Here's to hoping there'll be a finished product soon happy.gif .

P.S. Come on community, show some love for those people Slave® ing over this project!

+Quote Post
ShadowCat17
post Jun 9 2010, 11:55 PM
Post #52

Drifter

The game doesn't need to have all the art to have a beta release. Nor does it need to have all descriptions. You could always release the beta and then have the beta users submit possible descriptions to be approved by the team. It would probably be much easier than to have one or two people on the team assigned to do every description. Descriptions are probably the easiest way for the rest of the Mordor community to contribute. Why not just fix the existing bugs that have a significant impact on gameplay (if there are actually any bugs that make the game frustrating or unplayable, which I'm not sure there are any?) and release a beta right away.

Also if you keep allowing for new ideas, it'll never get finished because there will always be new ideas. Just work with what you already have, and if you want to look at new ideas then you can always implement them in subsequent releases

This post has been edited by ShadowCat17: Jun 10 2010, 12:00 AM

+Quote Post
Nudibranch
post Jun 10 2010, 04:00 AM
Post #53

Fire Master

Member No.: 71
referrer:search

QUOTE (ShadowCat17 @ Jun 9 2010, 07:55 PM) *
Why not just fix the existing bugs that have a significant impact on gameplay (if there are actually any bugs that make the game frustrating or unplayable, which I'm not sure there are any?) and release a beta right away.

That is what I'm focusing on. There isn't that much left to implement/fix, although since I've just come onto the team, a lot of my time is spent just trying to figure out the existing codebase.

"Months" is a reasonable promise for a release, provided I can keep up my current pace.

--------------------
I would have started with lasers. Eight o'clock. Day one.

+Quote Post
rb10c
post Jun 10 2010, 08:39 AM
Post #54

Infiltrator

Member No.: 3,954
referrer:i'm a DIEHARD FAN!!

QUOTE (Nudibranch @ Jun 10 2010, 05:00 AM) *
That is what I'm focusing on. There isn't that much left to implement/fix, although since I've just come onto the team, a lot of my time is spent just trying to figure out the existing codebase.

"Months" is a reasonable promise for a release, provided I can keep up my current pace.

YAAAY!!!1! so many years in the making, and its nearly finished! i have good hopes for this!
i wish you luck in getting rid of these bugs.

--------------------
http://macjams.com/artist/rb10c - my music site!
mordor, my favourite game EVER!!

QUOTE (rb10c @ Feb 14 2011, 03:22 PM) *
Darn, I went off-topic on an off-topic topic. Who's going to go off topic on this off topic, off topic topic?

+Quote Post
Crusher Junior
post Jun 10 2010, 11:26 PM
Post #55

Nomad Slayer

Group: Mordor MP Mod
Member No.: 10
referrer:braindead

What the previous few members said is spot-on. Many of us, myself included, have been away from the project for quite some time, which is another reason why there haven't been bi-monthly updates anymore. I am glad to say that we have just started getting things going again as of a week or two ago. To give you an idea of how little was done for quite some time, I started adding a batch of well over 100 new monsters (actually, I think it was closer to 200) that we (and by "we", I mean had pretty much aardless) had prepared to add through the editor last summer, but never finished doing it. This is on my to-do list for early July, however. smile.gif

--------------------
It's only funny until someone gets hurt...then it's HILARIOUS

To misquote Bill Gates: "500 million should be enough for anyone".
-elro

+Quote Post
Crashland
post Jun 13 2010, 06:07 AM
Post #56

Teacher

Member No.: 4,781
referrer:Yahoo search engine

The community has been a great experience for me. I certainly am happy to hear there has been renewed progress. Don't screw it up when you're this close, people. ok2.gif

--------------------
For some good reading, if you'd like to participate, or simply to pass the time, be sure to check out my challenge threads.

The Revolutionary Challenge
The Money Challenge

Can't wait to start a Mordor XP challenge.

QUOTE (DarkerMuffin @ Jun 16 2015, 05:54 AM) *
I stole Asmodeus's tax return!

+Quote Post
rb10c
post Jun 13 2010, 10:31 AM
Post #57

Infiltrator

i agree! if i could, i would work non-stop to get this thing finished!
alternatively, think about how many people are looking forward to this! i sure know i am!

--------------------

Darn, I went off-topic on an off-topic topic. Who's going to go off topic on this off topic, off topic topic?

+Quote Post
barklight
post Jun 14 2010, 05:27 AM
Post #58

Vagabond

Member No.: 1,945
referrer:The old M2 Wiki :)

Awesome news to hear, guys. The finish line's right over "there", not much more to go! Not like I'm in charge or anything, but I'm proud of you guys =P

--------------------
The Rules (NEW RULES as of 9/13/2010)
Rule #003: There is no Gnomish god of heavy artillery.
Rule #092: The name of the weapon shop is not "Bloodbath and Beyond".
Rule #155: I am not allowed to rub any part of the elf chick for any reason.
Rule #472: When my cleric is told to "Buff the Elf", I know exactly what it means and may not misconstrue it in any way.
Rule #609: No deity will let me use my nipples as holy symbols.

+Quote Post
Crunch
post Jun 14 2010, 06:07 PM
Post #59

Explorer

Member No.: 6,039

QUOTE (aardless @ Jun 9 2010, 11:41 PM) *
Descriptions are a bit less complete

In need of a writer? I didn't think that was something that was incomplete, but there's a place I actually could contribute to the project if needed. smile.gif Let's just say I have almost ten years of writing experience. I don't have a huge amount of time on my hands, but I could contribute here and there (and when I sit down for an hour, I can write a LOT by many other people's standards)

+Quote Post
rb10c
post Jun 15 2010, 10:58 AM
Post #60

Infiltrator

i can write some monster descriptions too! i have a lot of time on my hands, i just have a couple of exams left, and i need to work on my music folio, all of which can (will) be done at my school, so i'll have a lot of time at home to do these descriptions. but, i'd need a sample description, so i know what standard i have to write to. furthermore, i would preferably like to write descriptions for an entire race, (ie, lycanthorpes) to make it convenient. i am experienced in creative writing, as i got full marks in my creative writing coursework earlier this year.

--------------------

+Quote Post

10 Pages V  < 1 2 3 4 5 > » 
Reply to this topicStart new topic
3 User(s) are reading this topic (3 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 22nd September 2020 - 08:53 AM
Bridged By IpbWiki: Integration Of Invision Power Board and MediaWiki © GlobalSoft
Copyrights and Credits