IPB

Welcome Guest ( Log In | Register )

Reply to this topicStart new topic
> Slimey the King of All Slimes
aardless
post Sep 10 2007, 07:45 PM
Post #1

Goblin Shaman at work (used to be: on strike...)

Group: Admin
Member No.: 18
referrer::yahoo:

You are a just little slime and are aiming at becoming the biggest of them all. To do that you need to become slimier by drinking potions (riiiiight crazy.gif). All potions except potion of health are modified to give a stat boost. The player who maxes all of his/her stats in the shortest time becomes King of All Slimes.

You'll need the attached files, mdata1.mdr with the Slime race (100% resistant to poison, disease and acid, can join all guilds as if it were Human. Happy?) and mdata3.mdr with the modified potions. You should back-up your files before trying this as usual. You must start with a new character, empty general store and bank and play as a Slime.

The following no longer applies:
CODE
This comes in two modes: "wuss" and "real mordorian". In wuss mode you can equip items; in "real mordorian" mode, as you're supposed to be a slime you can't equip any item.

Instead you can equip items, but you must play solo.

This post has been edited by aardless: Sep 20 2007, 08:11 PM
Attached File(s)
Attached File  SlimeMod.zip ( 13.4K ) Number of downloads: 26

--------------------
If money doesn't grow on trees, why is it that banks have branches? - sig of a guy on a chinese forum

Most off-topic topics are off-topic - fart642000
Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post
Nudibranch
post Sep 20 2007, 04:00 AM
Post #2

Fire Master

Group: Mordor MP Prog
Member No.: 71
referrer:search

You need to change "Special Effect" to "Modifies Stats" on all those potions, otherwise it doesn't take effect.

--------------------
I would have started with lasers. Eight o'clock. Day one.

+Quote Post
aardless
post Sep 20 2007, 08:07 PM
Post #3

Argh! You're right. wallbash.gif

I edited the Tomes so they won't alter stats, after all you're supposed to be a slime. tongue.gif And I reduced to 1 the number of charges of potions.
I also take back the "real mordorian" mode: I've tried it and it's appallingly hard. So let's say you can equip items, but you must play solo.
Attached File(s)
Attached File  SlimeMod_v1_1.zip ( 13.41K ) Number of downloads: 17

--------------------
If money doesn't grow on trees, why is it that banks have branches? - sig of a guy on a chinese forum

+Quote Post
fart642000
post Sep 21 2007, 08:15 PM
Post #4

IT'S A DRABBIT!

Group: Members
Member No.: 15
referrer:I searched the earth for it until braindead sent me an invite

ooo feels like i'm playing dragon quest!

sounds interesting

--------------------
Waffles - Well, you know what they say: kill thy neighbour, because it saves you having to remember two of the ten commandments. :D

Me:anyway i find it a bit scary how alike we think sometimes...
BL: It's because we're right :P
My forum (improved)

Braindead: Fart teaching me how to spell, LOL :) What will be next I wonder? :D
Cowboy:I leave you guys alone for 1 day and it's an orgy of politics and sex... what can I say, I taught you well :devilish:

+Quote Post
Nudibranch
post Sep 22 2007, 03:59 AM
Post #5

Fire Master

I tried "real mordorian mode" a bit and it is very hard until you get some decent A/D from increased stats -- but past a certain point it progresses quickly.

--------------------

+Quote Post
aardless
post Sep 22 2007, 08:24 PM
Post #6

Yeah, the problem was I died way too much, and eventually got complications. I never arrived to the point of getting decent stats before having to write off the character. I suppose if anybody wants to try "real mordorian" mode they can.

--------------------

+Quote Post
Nudibranch
post Sep 22 2007, 09:22 PM
Post #7

Fire Master

I put 20 points into Con, a little into Dex, and the remainder into Str. Run away from anything even slightly tough until you get a few levels and an a/d of 20/20 or so. It's not that hard; I only died 4 times and I'm at Nomad 30 now.

--------------------

+Quote Post
aardless
post Sep 22 2007, 09:32 PM
Post #8

laugh.gif, yes I thought as much. Considering the challenge goal, though, and that potions are pretty much evenly distributed, I used a much more risky route. wink.gif Serves me right for disregarding basic strategy.

--------------------

+Quote Post
Nudibranch
post Sep 26 2007, 10:40 AM
Post #9

Fire Master

Done. "Real mordorian" -- I never equipped a single thing. Well, except my hands. If you meant to exclude them, then yes, it would be impossible.

It took me about 15 hours' play time. The last time I looked, it was at 13 hours, but when I finally completed, my character page read -9 hours (stupid bug). I could've used much less in-game time if I had just done 5-minute Aard runs every hour, but that would've been really dull. Instead, I took the time to get a very good start on a very playable character. Result:

Nomad 30
Warrior 27
Seeker 30
Thief 23
Sorcerer 67
Healer 28

427 HP
11 deaths
2,055,338 total XP
171 million gold

I could very well play this character all the way to the endgame without ever equipping a single item.

Nice challenge (and race), Aardless. You ought to consider adding them to Mordor XP, as long as the no-equipping-items restriction is enforced. Except guild crests and sashes, hee hee.

--------------------

+Quote Post
aardless
post Sep 26 2007, 09:11 PM
Post #10

No, no, equipping hands is allowed, of course. It wouldn't be fun to run around opening chests while monsters bash you. Although if you had enough HPs it might be a good thieving challenge *tucks away idea*.

Level 67 and 15 hours is a bit more than I tabled on, but then wuss mode should be somewhat quicker. Hopefully. Damn, looks like I'll have to find out for myself.

I could very well play this character all the way to the endgame without ever equipping a single item.
But using items nonetheless, I would imagine? I don't think the puny little slime would hold out very long against the bosses. tongue.gif

About adding the race in MXP, that's an idea I hadn't thought of. To compensate the for lack of equipment they could have a slime attack, the catch being that acid attacks can destroy chests. naughty.gif Although all that would require yet more coding.

I'll try to cook up more challenges, I've got a couple of ideas that aren't fully formed yet.

--------------------

+Quote Post
Nudibranch
post Sep 26 2007, 10:29 PM
Post #11

Fire Master

QUOTE (aardless @ Sep 26 2007, 05:11 PM)
Level 67 and 15 hours is a bit more than I tabled on, but then wuss mode should be somewhat quicker. Hopefully. Damn, looks like I'll have to find out for myself.

But using items nonetheless, I would imagine? I don't think the puny little slime would hold out very long against the bosses. tongue.gif

The time-killer is searching, searching, searching for potions. In that respect, it's a lot like any non-legacy game. Because of their high stat caps, though, you need 5 more Aards than usual -- I made more than 100 trips to the Goblin lairs. It took at least 5 hours of play time before I boosted my stats high enough to join the really good guilds. My initial trial where potions still had 3 charges and tomes still worked was much faster.

By the terms of the challenge, I had to use potions. In continuing play, I'd use the stat boosters, healing items, spell point boosters, and maybe a sphere or two. My play style would be very little altered, actually. Between stats and guilds, one can just barely get a slime to 400 A/D, which is adequate for level 15.

Spellcasting guilds are all-important for slimes -- for resistances and to attack weapon-resistant monsters, since fists don't work. SP is quite high so it's no problem. Monsters that are both magic resistant and weapon resistant might pose some problems on the deeper levels, though you could always train a Mage and use companions.

All told, equipmentless slimes are an interesting race. They're not for beginners, though. Their high stats give them some interesting advantages, but not enough to balance them against "normal" races.

This post has been edited by Nudibranch: Sep 26 2007, 10:30 PM

--------------------

+Quote Post
ranagrande
post Nov 3 2007, 06:45 PM
Post #12

Wanderer

Group: Members Plus
Member No.: 180
referrer:Google

Is this still available? It looks really neat, and I'd like to try it, but the download link isn't working for me.

+Quote Post
aardless
post Nov 3 2007, 07:12 PM
Post #13

Hmm, you're right, I get garbled text if I try to download it. I notice attachments tend to not work after a few times. For some reason the board starts thinking it should be an html page. huh.gif

Anyway, quick and dirty solution: Slime mod 1.1

--------------------

+Quote Post
ranagrande
post Nov 3 2007, 08:05 PM
Post #14

Wanderer

Thanks!

Now, because I like making things harder than they need to be, and because Nudibranch said it would be impossible, I'm going to try one out without equipping anything, including my hands. Slimes don't have hands anyway. bleh.gif

Edit:
It took me about three dozen tries to get started, but my no-handed, no equipment slime is off and rolling now.

This post has been edited by ranagrande: Nov 3 2007, 09:50 PM

+Quote Post
Nudibranch
post Nov 4 2007, 06:39 AM
Post #15

Fire Master

Masochist. I assume you're using a sorcerer, then, but how did you get the potions needed to join the guild?

--------------------

+Quote Post
ranagrande
post Nov 4 2007, 01:29 PM
Post #16

Wanderer

QUOTE (Nudibranch @ Nov 4 2007, 02:39 AM)
Masochist.  I assume you're using a sorcerer, then, but how did you get the potions needed to join the guild?

I don't have enough yet. I've currently only got a level 17 Nomad. As I mentioned above, it took a lot of tries to get it to work out, but finally I found a "Weapon" early on that I was able to sell for like 63,000ish. With that, I went to the Confinement and bought a Kobold.

Playing very carefully, with my character set to defend and running away from anything even remotely dangerous, my Kobold was able to get me to level three before it failed a raise. Since then, I've completely cleared out the Confinement, although I check back frequently to see if anything new has been added. Fortunately, I have enough HP and A/D now that I can easily survive running around collecting treasure on level 1 and the early parts of level 2.

You mentioned sorcerer, and I certainly do plan on taking levels in that, but more importantly, as soon as I get the required stats for it, I'll be starting out as a mage.

This post has been edited by ranagrande: Nov 4 2007, 02:02 PM

+Quote Post
Nudibranch
post Nov 7 2007, 04:10 AM
Post #17

Fire Master

Now that's a serious frickin' challenge. My hat's off to you -- or it would be, if I could wear one. wink.gif

--------------------

+Quote Post

Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 17th September 2019 - 03:28 AM
Bridged By IpbWiki: Integration Of Invision Power Board and MediaWiki © GlobalSoft
Copyrights and Credits