> New project? Who would participate?
gruevy
post Apr 9 2012, 05:35 PM
Post #1

Journeyman

Group: Members Plus
Member No.: 4,444
referrer:google search

If I sat down and started putting together a good game design document for a 'spiritual successor' to Mordor XP, how many of you would help? How many of you can code?

If I get enough interest and offers to help, I'll put up a wiki and start getting some work done.

I don't code, but I can manage, I can write, and I can design. If we get a team together, I can make this happen. Cheers!
Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post
ShadowCat17
post Apr 10 2012, 02:49 AM
Post #2

Drifter

Member No.: 2,499
referrer:google

Would this be starting from scratch? If so you/we would need to do some serious brainstorming/planning. What aspects of the game would we want to keep, improve, alter, or remove? There are many aspects. If we would want to create something in the spirit of Mordor (XP), you will definitely need to include the following general categories in the design plan, either on how they differ/compare to Mordor or otherwise built from the ground up.

- Character classes, attributes, and leveling system
- Items, economy, and inventory management
- Exploration/dungeon system
- Fighting system and magic
- GUI and graphics
- Enemies, NPCs (if any), and how the player interacts with them
- RPG / Storyline

As far as helping out, I have some technical skills, but realistically would probably not be able to do much or any coding due to time constraints.

This post has been edited by ShadowCat17: Apr 10 2012, 03:01 AM

+Quote Post
Narcissus04
post Apr 16 2012, 04:06 PM
Post #3

Vagabond

Member No.: 5,230
referrer:Had used the editor. used google

I have previously on visual basic made a character creation screen but didn't manage to save it to a database. :\

+Quote Post
sparkymat
post Apr 25 2012, 11:20 AM
Post #4

Student

Group: Members
Member No.: 6,298
referrer:Google

I would strongly urge the use of a cross-platform toolkit like Qt.

+Quote Post
Chozame
post Jan 28 2015, 08:44 PM
Post #5

Student

Member No.: 8,061

Does it need original songs or sounds?

--------------------
"The master acts, but relies on nothing."

+Quote Post
damned
post Jan 29 2015, 09:28 AM
Post #6

Drifter

Member No.: 370
referrer:serched

i only check in once or twice a year now (so not much if any help from me), and i have no idea how feasible my idea's are but what about turning it into a browser game? (easier multiplayer?) and after you get the basic game structure finished (like say the first 5 lvl's) let people play and comment on how improvements can be made and update with new content every so often, might even get more people to help you with the programing this way (but that's just an assumption on my part)

...man, i did not look at the starting date, haaa,,, well there goes that hope sad.gif

This post has been edited by damned: Jan 29 2015, 09:32 AM

--------------------

—Clarke's law
Any sufficiently advanced magic is indistinguishable from technology.
—Murphy's reformulation of Clarke's law
Any sufficiently advanced magic is indistinguishable from a rigged demonstration.
—programmers' restatement of Murphy's reformulation of Clarke law

If you eat a live toad first thing in the morning, nothing worse will happen all day long.
—California saying
To you or the toad.
—Niven's restatement of California saying
well, most of the time anyway . . .
—programmer's caveat to Niven's restatement of California saying

+Quote Post
drmlgoebel
post Jan 31 2015, 01:29 AM
Post #7

Apprentice

Member No.: 8,063
referrer:Crusher

QUOTE (gruevy @ Apr 9 2012, 06:35 PM) *
If I sat down and started putting together a good game design document for a 'spiritual successor' to Mordor XP, how many of you would help? How many of you can code?

If I get enough interest and offers to help, I'll put up a wiki and start getting some work done.

I don't code, but I can manage, I can write, and I can design. If we get a team together, I can make this happen. Cheers!

Check in Decklins Domain forums. There is now a mordor 1 and mordor category there. Decklin has created an installer that makes the games work on 64-bit systems.

Oh yeah! I want an expanded Mordor dungeon!!!

+Quote Post
Crusher Junior
post Mar 31 2015, 04:39 PM
Post #8

Nomad Slayer

Group: Mordor MP Mod
Member No.: 10
referrer:braindead

Would anyone pick up MXP production if that were to be an option?

--------------------
It's only funny until someone gets hurt...then it's HILARIOUS

To misquote Bill Gates: "500 million should be enough for anyone".
-elro

+Quote Post
gsman
post Apr 5 2015, 05:27 AM
Post #9

Infiltrator

Member No.: 1,873
referrer:I don't remember

If that were to be an option, and a team were to exist, I could pick up Mordor XP production.

--------------------
LARGE CAPITAL LETTERS ATTRACT YOUR ATTENTION that is all.
O.O This is bob, bob wants to take over the world please help him on his quest by copying and pasting him into your sig

Member #1 of Gortaak fan club. President of Gortaak fan club. PM me to join Gortaak fan club.

+Quote Post
Crashland
post Apr 11 2015, 07:09 AM
Post #10

Teacher

Member No.: 4,781
referrer:Yahoo search engine

QUOTE (gsman @ Apr 4 2015, 10:27 PM) *
If that were to be an option, and a team were to exist, I could pick up Mordor XP production.

If you can get this game released at last, please do. We've all been waiting for years.

--------------------
For some good reading, if you'd like to participate, or simply to pass the time, be sure to check out my challenge threads.

The Revolutionary Challenge
The Money Challenge

Can't wait to start a Mordor XP challenge.

QUOTE (DarkerMuffin @ Jun 16 2015, 05:54 AM) *
I stole Asmodeus's tax return!

+Quote Post
gsman
post Apr 13 2015, 05:38 AM
Post #11

Infiltrator

Member No.: 1,873
referrer:I don't remember

Someone get me in touch with whoever has the most current code then.

--------------------
LARGE CAPITAL LETTERS ATTRACT YOUR ATTENTION that is all.
O.O This is bob, bob wants to take over the world please help him on his quest by copying and pasting him into your sig

Member #1 of Gortaak fan club. President of Gortaak fan club. PM me to join Gortaak fan club.

+Quote Post
Veyasu
post Oct 15 2015, 11:16 PM
Post #12

Apprentice

Member No.: 8,247

Is the data files (creatures, items, maps, graphics, sound, etc) for Mordor XP anywhere on the internet?

I just started playing this again for the first time since a child, and figured it would be a fun hobby project to try to implement some of this. It wouldn't require too much of external API-s, just simple graphics and sound, and the data can just be stored in files or SQLite or something simple like that. I saw Mordor XP was developed in VB, which is kinda yuchy I think. Before I found the Mordor XP project I was thinking maybe Python with the pygame library and or Qt or wx. I kinda like strong typed languages too, but Python is just so easy for anyone to get into.

This post has been edited by Veyasu: Oct 15 2015, 11:25 PM

+Quote Post
Crusher Junior
post Dec 7 2015, 04:22 PM
Post #13

Nomad Slayer

MXP files are not on the internet. What we have:

Map editor
General editor (monsters, items, characters, and other goodies)
Hundreds of artwork for old and new items
Hundreds of artwork for old and new monsters
Hundreds of item and monster descriptions, old and new
About a dozen to 2 dozen soundtracks - I don't remember
A handful of partially implemented features
Tons of new code

The caveat to working on this is that we can't release the code to the public. The copyright for the original Mordor belongs to Decklin (of Decklin's Demise) and he has given us permission to use it.

Anyone who is interested in working on MXP can PM me.

--------------------

-elro

+Quote Post
gortaak
post Dec 7 2015, 05:12 PM
Post #14

Explorer

Group: Mordor MP Prog
Member No.: 1,410

I also have mxp source both the vb and my python source, in case you don't have it, crusher

--------------------

+Quote Post
Crusher Junior
post Dec 8 2015, 09:12 PM
Post #15

Nomad Slayer

QUOTE (gortaak @ Dec 7 2015, 12:12 PM) *
I also have mxp source both the vb and my python source, in case you don't have it, crusher

Do you have the most updated versions? I'll let you know if I can't locate it. Thanks!

--------------------

-elro

+Quote Post
gortaak
post Dec 8 2015, 10:43 PM
Post #16

Explorer

Group: Mordor MP Prog
Member No.: 1,410

I should. I pulled from the svn that I was pointed to.

--------------------

+Quote Post
Gwilim
post Dec 21 2015, 12:57 AM
Post #17

Vagabond

Member No.: 499
referrer:search engine

On the browser idea. I've been working on a browser-based dungeon crawler, but thus far it's looking to become a roguelike rather than mordor-like. (monsters in individual dungeon tiles rather than rooms, etc).

My engine is progressing well, it leaves something to be desired but I've made great progress in the few weeks I've been working on it. Here's a screenshot:

I have a working demo up already but I'd prefer to flesh things out further (and find better hosting) before I start posting links publicly. It's not far off though - certainly within the month.

In terms of the UI I've been taking my cues from dungeon crawl stone soup. I have line of sight, creatures chasing the player, a crude inventory system, procedural generation of levels etc. All of this is alien to Mordor, but I loved the game so much in the 90's I've been thinking on how to blend the roguelike style of dungeon crawling with a mordor-like style, or taking advantage of being a native web application to introduce multiplayer elements. For example a mordor-style communal town with shops where players can buy the artifacts that other players sell, or meet in a tavern to discuss their adventures (the turn-based nature of a roguelike doesn't lend itself to cooperative dungeon exploration). Or a potential compromise between roguelike permadeath and mordor-like character resurrection whereby players can pay for the resurrection of other player's dead characters (Mordor always seemd to me like it would lend itself to such things but the technology of the time wasn't suitable).

There are obvious conflicts between the two styles, from big things like prefab vs procedural dungeons to things like item identification and level progression, but I'm sure ways could be devised to combine them into a more immersive experience than either.

Mostly I need artwork and in game lore. I have code but lack content - I surmise that Mordor XP has content but lacks code. It would be a shame if that content never saw the light of day for lack of an engine. If I was using the Mordor XP content, I'd name the game to reflect that and give credit where it was due. I'd also welcome cooperation in terms of devising appropriate game mechanics.

Alternatively, I could copy the interface of the original Mordor inside a browser. The difficulty here, and the reason I began working on a roguelike rather than a mordor-like, is that gameplay in Mordor happens in real time and standard hypertext is unsuitable to handle that. Such a program could be written using newer technologies like node.js, but first I'd need access to a server capable of it (i.e. server costs would need to be paid for with donations), and to spend some time studying how it works. I'd not begin work on such until after I'd made at least some of my current projects presentable. I think that the idea could have real potential, however.

If I'm understanding the content of this thread, the advantage to these suggestions would be that the existing content could finally see the light of day with brand new code.

So in summary; an online MordorXP roguelike could be up and running within a couple of months, or MordorXP online could happen whenever I find the time to do it (before 2017 maybe?).

+Quote Post
Masa1
post Feb 25 2016, 08:02 PM
Post #18

Apprentice

Member No.: 8,326

QUOTE (Crusher Junior @ Dec 7 2015, 06:22 PM) *
MXP files are not on the internet. What we have:

Map editor
General editor (monsters, items, characters, and other goodies)
Hundreds of artwork for old and new items
Hundreds of artwork for old and new monsters
Hundreds of item and monster descriptions, old and new
About a dozen to 2 dozen soundtracks - I don't remember
A handful of partially implemented features
Tons of new code

The caveat to working on this is that we can't release the code to the public. The copyright for the original Mordor belongs to Decklin (of Decklin's Demise) and he has given us permission to use it.

Anyone who is interested in working on MXP can PM me.

Is it possible to release the new artwork?

+Quote Post

Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 16th July 2019 - 03:10 PM
Bridged By IpbWiki: Integration Of Invision Power Board and MediaWiki © GlobalSoft
Copyrights and Credits