IPB

Welcome Guest ( Log In | Register )

5 Pages V  « < 3 4 5  
Reply to this topicStart new topic
> Recording a Mordor run - solo good elf!
MythrilZenith
post Jun 10 2019, 08:24 PM
Post #81

Wanderer

Group: Members Plus
Member No.: 6,867
referrer:A google-search for Mordor: Depths of Dejenol maps led me here!

New episode! https://youtu.be/m7L8O3nljsI
I'm trying to get a video up every week, doing a whole "Mordor Monday" type thing, since that's when my schedule is open enough for regular recording sessions. Still gonna be doing off-screen grinding between parts, though. If I keep at it then I'll eventually finish this game!

So I'm almost 200 sorc right now, and found a Vampire Fang, which should help a lot. I switched up my equipment and now floor 9 isn't too big of a threat (unless I run into something like Mundragons, who CAN'T BE CHARMED AT FULL HP by the purple sash, meaning they're practically guaranteed to deal a ton of damage with breath attacks). Floor 10 is a different story, especially if I run into Lava Giants or the like.

Man, it feels weird mapping a dungeon without looking at the dungeon map again. I was glad I remembered what the Giant King room looked like or I would have blundered into it and gotten myself obliterated. This is the time I should probably keep some healing items in my inventory again.

--------------------
Just an average nomad trying to figure out how Mordor really works.

I've also taken the liberty of recording some videos of Mordor: Depths of Dejenol!

Classics are classic, but never mistake nostalgia for superiority. When older is better, it's because it truly is, not just because our perception of it makes it so.
Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post
Roland
post Jun 10 2019, 10:23 PM
Post #82

Fighter

Member No.: 8,408
referrer:Google

QUOTE (MythrilZenith @ Jun 10 2019, 04:24 PM) *
So I'm almost 200 sorc right now, and found a Vampire Fang, which should help a lot. I switched up my equipment and now floor 9 isn't too big of a threat (unless I run into something like Mundragons, who CAN'T BE CHARMED AT FULL HP by the purple sash, meaning they're practically guaranteed to deal a ton of damage with breath attacks). Floor 10 is a different story, especially if I run into Lava Giants or the like.

I see the problem. The average "damage" from a Purple Sash is just 142 hp (range 90-194), while Mundragons average 165 hp (range 124-206). It looks like the sash should work on a Mundragon about 1 time in 4. Paralyzing Death is the cheapest spell that will be effective against Mundragons for a level-200 Sorcerer.

+Quote Post
MythrilZenith
post Jun 12 2019, 02:45 PM
Post #83

Wanderer

1 in 4, eh? Yeah I'm already kind of missing my white sashes laugh.gif, they stopped being effective awhile ago but at least they were good area clear for weaker mobs like tiger sharks. Still, 94-194 isn't a terrible range. If only the bind of the spell wasn't garbage it would actually be pretty useful for bringing along floor 6-7 dragons.

Oh wait I'm Good aligned, which is probably why these dragons break bind levels so easy - they're evil, aren't they?

This post has been edited by MythrilZenith: Jun 12 2019, 02:47 PM

--------------------

I've also taken the liberty of recording some videos of Mordor: Depths of Dejenol!

Classics are classic, but never mistake nostalgia for superiority. When older is better, it's because it truly is, not just because our perception of it makes it so.

+Quote Post
Roland
post Jun 12 2019, 11:05 PM
Post #84

Fighter

Of 18 kinds of dragons, 1 is good, 10 are neutral, and 7 are evil. But I don't think alignment is a factor in breaking binding.

+Quote Post
MythrilZenith
post Yesterday, 07:38 PM
Post #85

Wanderer

Another monday, another Mordor vid. If I keep myself on this pace then I'll finish this game eventually!
https://youtu.be/ZXLEzB0E8UM

So I've been trying to level up some of my lower guild levels - mostly Scavenger for thieving ability, with some Paladin thrown in for A/D and fight skill - but that progress has been slowed by quests. I know it's gonna take longer to complete every quest than just to pass on them, especially when they're only de-leveling me by like 4, but when I lose an equipment tier level it just feels really bad. Plus I'm using this as an excuse to fill my confinement, and level other classes while searching for my questing quarry, as it were. Currently on the docket is a Morgul, a "very rare" giant from level 4 whom I've only ever found like 20 of on this install. I found one off-screen, but it got killed by its friends after I charmed it sad.gif .

In terms of my character's overall survival, I think I should be able to go pretty deep, but with the rate I have to use high-level spells to kill enemies I'm gonna have to start packing spell scrolls and healing gems to keep pushing deeper.

Currently sitting at:
Hits - 679
Spells - 250

Sorcerer: 208
Paladin: 115
Scavenger: 105
Mage: 100
Wizard: 77
Nomad: 73

Leprosy and Acid Spray are starting to cap out on what they can reliably kill as of floors 9-10, so I have Paralyzing Death on standby. Static Mesh is a pretty solid backup, and I found a Static Sash which is a pretty reliable panic-button as well. I'm wanting to get more defensive equipment before going deeper - with a Vampire Fang at my disposal I have my offense covered, but it would be nice to get a few more points in defense so I don't keep getting hit by floor 6-7 monsters on the descent.

This post has been edited by MythrilZenith: Yesterday, 07:45 PM

--------------------

+Quote Post
Nudibranch
post Today, 05:51 PM
Post #86

Fire Master

Group: Mordor MP Prog
Member No.: 71
referrer:search

The Demonist on 7 drops spell tomes if you need more SP. Though the best way to get more SP is to get your spell costs down in the first place. smile.gif

--------------------
I would have started with lasers. Eight o'clock. Day one.

+Quote Post
Roland
post Today, 07:11 PM
Post #87

Fighter

QUOTE (MythrilZenith @ Jun 17 2019, 03:38 PM) *
So I've been trying to level up some of my lower guild levels - mostly Scavenger for thieving ability, with some Paladin thrown in for A/D and fight skill - but that progress has been slowed by quests.

I think Scavenger is the right choice. You need better boxing ability if you are running deeper, and Charm of Opening is still pretty expensive at your current level. Plus improved backstab will contribute to your fighting ability. And the Crest of the Scavenger, with +3 dex and 6 charges of COO is useful - the dex bonus will help you win initiative, which can prevent a lot of damage.

QUOTE (MythrilZenith @ Jun 17 2019, 03:38 PM) *
Plus I'm using this as an excuse to fill my confinement, and level other classes while searching for my questing quarry, as it were. Currently on the docket is a Morgul, a "very rare" giant from level 4 whom I've only ever found like 20 of on this install. I found one off-screen, but it got killed by its friends after I charmed it sad.gif .

I've been doing the same thing with my solo character. At the end of my run, if I have enough spell points left, I grab a monster or two for confinement. (I can't do this with my high-level Mage because his companions rip most monsters to shreds before I can charm them.) I need to update my shopping list!

+Quote Post

5 Pages V  « < 3 4 5
Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 18th June 2019 - 09:53 PM
Bridged By IpbWiki: Integration Of Invision Power Board and MediaWiki © GlobalSoft
Copyrights and Credits