IPB

Welcome Guest ( Log In | Register )

8 Pages V  « < 6 7 8  
Reply to this topicStart new topic
> The Money Challenge, Get as much money as you can!
Crashland
post Jan 5 2016, 12:56 AM
Post #141

Teacher

Group: Members Plus
Member No.: 4,781
referrer:Yahoo search engine

QUOTE (DarkerMuffin @ Jan 2 2016, 09:17 PM) *
This thread has remained active for so long, I think it qualifies as a classic!

Yeah, I think so! I wonder how past me would have reacted if I went back give years and told him that?

--------------------
For some good reading, if you'd like to participate, or simply to pass the time, be sure to check out my challenge threads.

The Revolutionary Challenge
The Money Challenge

Can't wait to start a Mordor XP challenge.

QUOTE (DarkerMuffin @ Jun 16 2015, 05:54 AM) *
I stole Asmodeus's tax return!

Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post
Crashland
post Jan 5 2016, 11:23 AM
Post #142

Teacher

Member No.: 4,781
referrer:Yahoo search engine

(ignore this, please; it was a misclick)

This post has been edited by Crashland: Jan 5 2016, 11:24 AM

--------------------
For some good reading, if you'd like to participate, or simply to pass the time, be sure to check out my challenge threads.

The Revolutionary Challenge
The Money Challenge

Can't wait to start a Mordor XP challenge.

QUOTE (DarkerMuffin @ Jun 16 2015, 05:54 AM) *
I stole Asmodeus's tax return!

+Quote Post
Grog
post Jan 22 2016, 10:49 PM
Post #143

Mentor

Member No.: 162
referrer: Not since college

How about a screenshot of Hanako's Char window? I'd love to see her Kills, Exp, Play Time, etc.

I've gotten one solo adventurer down to 15, where (you can see) she finally died.

Attached File  Joan_d__Rohin.jpg ( 350.61K ) Number of downloads: 39

--------------------
It is against your ways to attack a Good companion

+Quote Post
DarkerMuffin
post Jan 31 2016, 09:16 AM
Post #144

Fighter

Member No.: 4,683
referrer:Search engine

While looking at her char page, I just realized I missed Hanako's birthday by a week! I should've killed something to celebrate! Oh well.

Comparing the two, the kill counts are pretty similar, even though there's a difference of about 40,000,000 EXP. I did a quick test, and it turns out companion kills don't count. How disappointing! Besides that, it looks like I've been pretty lucky with the item quests.

--------------------
null

+Quote Post
Grog
post Feb 1 2016, 04:54 PM
Post #145

Mentor

^Yea... big difference in play time, and Gold!

I always wonder why my solo's never get mega-rich. They burn through alot of rings, especially ring of Frost

Thanks for the view. Cool to make comparisons

--------------------

+Quote Post
A Dungeon Opus
post May 15 2016, 04:16 AM
Post #146

Apprentice

Group: Members
Member No.: 8,363
referrer:searched

I'm starting up this challenge. And I'm going one further.
Not only will I use a fresh adventurer-
but I'll run her on a clean installation.
I don't have any mods or cheats anyway,
what I mean is that no other character will have entered dejenol.
No Item or Monster sold to the shops.
Here I go =]

+Quote Post
Grog
post Jun 16 2016, 07:27 PM
Post #147

Mentor

^Yep, that's the best way to play it.

So, it's been a month... how's she doing?

--------------------

+Quote Post
MaxUlmeera
post Feb 26 2017, 04:10 AM
Post #148

Apprentice

Member No.: 7,473
referrer:Magic

I've looked up this entire thread and so many pro players :o

This post has been edited by MaxUlmeera: Feb 26 2017, 01:09 PM

--------------------
This is my signature

You've just looked at my signature.

+Quote Post
cartmann
post Sep 26 2017, 05:48 AM
Post #149

Student

Member No.: 6,666
referrer:Already knew the game

Oh yeah wow, I see stuff like several lvl50+ guilds and think oh jesus, I only just got my first 4 chars to lvl 30 nomad, I guess i just never really even played the game o.O

Always will have a special place in my heart though!

This post has been edited by cartmann: Sep 26 2017, 05:49 AM

+Quote Post
fischsemmel
post Sep 10 2019, 12:41 AM
Post #150

Soldier

Member No.: 6,580

I'm totally going to hit up this challenge after I peter out with my newest regular party. I've been trying to think up how I'd build a character for this for a week or so, but I'm still just stuck on how I'd set up initial stats and first guild after Nomad, and if I can convince myself to not be an Osirri! I'd feel so cheesy, but it seems like a crime to try to hoard money without being the best thief you can be blink.gif

Maybe I'll relax my self-imposed "no discolation or teleportation" rule to increase my chances of TPK so I can move on to this sooner cool.gif

Edit - ohh, I could just do this separately. Clear special spawns with party, level up Money Challenge guy, repeat!

This post has been edited by fischsemmel: Sep 10 2019, 12:46 AM

+Quote Post
fischsemmel
post Sep 10 2019, 02:55 AM
Post #151

Soldier

Member No.: 6,580

Well that was short lived.

I made an osirri, straight into healer (without passing nomad), planning to go to 10 and wait for max con. It wad going well. I had found a war hammer off the first twisted dwarves I went after at level 3. Had most of the first floor explored, 9 nomad 8 healer, 6 partially IDed tomes and 1 IDed but wrong alignment... then I underestimated the stud room with water dwellers over on the east side of the map and got killed on my way out the door!

I don't even know how much gold I had cause I only sold anything when I was about to spend it all on ID. I don't think I can do my current party and this challenge well together. I get too much kf a groove with whatever game I'm in then it messes me up when I switch to the other one!

+Quote Post
DarkerMuffin
post Dec 16 2019, 02:02 AM
Post #152

Fighter

QUOTE (Grog @ Jun 16 2016, 01:27 PM) *
^Yep, that's the best way to play it.

So, it's been a month... how's she doing?

I'm only 3.5 years late, but here she is!

It has been a very unproductive 3.5 years. (Or productive, depending on whose perspective!)

Edit: The day I came back, I finally checked off one of my Mordor bucketlist items!

This post has been edited by DarkerMuffin: Dec 16 2019, 07:23 AM

--------------------
null

+Quote Post
MythrilZenith
post Dec 16 2019, 11:02 PM
Post #153

Soldier

Member No.: 6,867
referrer:A google-search for Mordor: Depths of Dejenol maps led me here!

Grats on getting Mom on your side! She's a bit finicky at the best of times tongue.gif

Anyway, WOW that's a lot of groans! Do you normally carry that many? And do you use them all on a regular run, or are they more for emergencies?
Edit: I kind of forgot the extent of the Money Challenge. If anything that makes it more impressive that you're holding onto that many groans - all those precious inventory slots, gone.

This post has been edited by MythrilZenith: Dec 16 2019, 11:11 PM

--------------------
Just an average nomad trying to figure out how Mordor really works.

I've also taken the liberty of recording some videos of Mordor: Depths of Dejenol!

Classics are classic, but never mistake nostalgia for superiority. When older is better, it's because it truly is, not just because our perception of it makes it so.

+Quote Post
DarkerMuffin
post Dec 17 2019, 01:03 AM
Post #154

Fighter

QUOTE (MythrilZenith @ Dec 16 2019, 04:02 PM) *
Grats on getting Mom on your side! She's a bit finicky at the best of times tongue.gif

Anyway, WOW that's a lot of groans! Do you normally carry that many? And do you use them all on a regular run, or are they more for emergencies?
Edit: I kind of forgot the extent of the Money Challenge. If anything that makes it more impressive that you're holding onto that many groans - all those precious inventory slots, gone.

She's great! She's nowhere near as damaging as the sun dragons, with their attack + electrocute + breathe combination assault, but she is so much more durable.

Sun dragons are very weird. I use them so I can more safely dive deeper, but I find myself treading more cautiously with them than withouts—they're just so weak to magic! That counterproductive side-effect feels restraining. Mages normally provide easy, safe exp at this point of the game, but now I blast them like they're Sistrums. I end up spending spell points blasting witches and spellcasters with electric field, solely because Sun Dragons (well, OoLDs) are so precious. I actually lost my dragons to a mage casting precognitive death today and it feels liberating.

Mom's durable enough that I basically don't have to worry about her! (Except around piranhas.) I just throw a restoration her way when she's lost 300 HP. Now I can just focus on the single biggest danger to me: stoners.

The groans are pretty much only for emergencies. Even with that many, they're too pricey to frequently recharge! (At least for the money challenge.) 8 open item slots also seems to be about the sweet spot, given how much SP I expend on a single (deep) trip down.

--------------------
null

+Quote Post
DarkerMuffin
post Dec 18 2019, 04:37 AM
Post #155

Fighter

A quick update.

Hanako reached level 394 in Thief. She's completely maxed out her A/D in the guild. This brings Hanako to an interesting crossroads.
  • She could level in Seeker for a while to increase her A/D even further. Seeker gets 40/47 more A/D than Thief. I'll need 32,021,593 more EXP to go from Seeker 225 to Seeker 428.
  • She could level in Healer for a while to power up WoD. The Cap of Death casts the spell at spell level 180, so I'd want to bring her up to at least level 361 to match it. I'll need 42,169,591 EXP to go from Healer 179 to Healer 361.
  • She could level in Wizard for a while. This would power up Word of Death and Precognitive Death at the same time. The spells would be pricier than in Healer, but the EXP requirement is very similar for Wizard 160 to 361: 42,121,364.
  • She could level in Sorceror to power up Electric Field. Reaching mincost Arctic Storm would be nice too, although unnecessary. Bringing Electric Field to 500 damage minimum would cost 17,652,251 EXP, bringing me from Sorceror 313 to Sorceror 383.
  • Stay in Thief and hunt down Asmodeus.

The last option is super tempting, since I've been running Hanako for so long. However, I still only have 41 dexterity. I'd really rather find some of those other items to raise her stats a bit more. (Not to mention Thief's Armor and some of the other defensive equipment.)

The Wizard/Healer option is probably the best long-term option. The Cap of Death is so pricey to recharge, I hate using it up during the money challenge. Precognitive Death would be nice, even if there's very little that I want it for. However, Healers can cast WoD for a mere 13 SP at level 361, compared to the Wizard's 21 SP hit.

Seeker is pretty important for the boosted A/D. She'll start gaining more A/D again after level 312, which happens after gaining 11,279,899 EXP. That extra defense makes a big difference in surviving.

Ultimately though, I think it has to be Sorceror. I'm at the point where the biggest impediment to my safely exploring is my panic-button spell. There are enough monster groups where Electric Field isn't quite strong enough to consistently kill them at my current level. Plus, it's also the cheapest option for the biggest near-term benefit. Everything else I level up after Sorceror will immediately benefit from a stronger Electric Field, letting me level up quickly and safely.

So I guess my plan is something like Sorceror 383 -> Seeker 428 -> Healer 385. That trajectory will cost somewhere in the realm of 100,000,000 EXP. I'm not sure how much that is when normalized: the feature where higher leveled characters receiive less EXP for killing the same monsters applies here. Considering my EXP total is currently a mere 105,000,000, it looks like I'm nowhere near done with Hanako yet!

Hopefully I'll find some Elven Boots along the way!

--------------------
null

+Quote Post
DarkerMuffin
post Dec 18 2019, 05:49 AM
Post #156

Fighter

Well, I guess you can disregard my last post. I was feeling overly impatient today and couldn't help myself. I decided to poke my head into a couple of the stud rooms on 15. "Just a peek!" The first one consisted of Guardsmen, so I was feeling pretty good about it. The next one was safe too. The third one... Not so much.

I'll post Hanako's stats and total money later. For now, you can see the aftermath here.

Good night, sweet prince.

This post has been edited by DarkerMuffin: Dec 24 2019, 11:30 PM

--------------------
null

+Quote Post
MythrilZenith
post Dec 19 2019, 05:50 PM
Post #157

Soldier

Oof. What a way to go out. (And only Boots of Agility for the trouble, too!)
How did you manage to earn your way up to over 7 Billion, though? What made the difference? My current soloist has a similar amount of total exp but only half that much gold.

I'm not doing a hardcore-type challenge, but I'm wondering about my solo character's best tools to take down the Demon Prince specifically. I'm only decently leveled in Sorcerer (around 340), with my Mage sitting around 175 and Wizard probably still below 100. Cube of Death seems like a pretty reliable backup option, and is by far the most damaging of the cubes, though it would still require several rounds to take down the demon prince (although it *would* level his cohort in a single cast, barring awful rolls).

--------------------

I've also taken the liberty of recording some videos of Mordor: Depths of Dejenol!

Classics are classic, but never mistake nostalgia for superiority. When older is better, it's because it truly is, not just because our perception of it makes it so.

+Quote Post
DarkerMuffin
post Dec 25 2019, 12:03 AM
Post #158

Fighter

QUOTE (MythrilZenith @ Dec 19 2019, 10:50 AM) *
Oof. What a way to go out. (And only Boots of Agility for the trouble, too!)

Before anything else, I updated my previous post. It has a slightly better picture now, with a very important, second red circle!

How did you manage to earn your way up to over 7 Billion, though? What made the difference? My current soloist has a similar amount of total exp but only half that much gold.

I think it came down to two factors: Sun Dragon companions and going out of my way to visit dragon lairs.

My Sun Dragons ate up a lot of kills for me, significantly reducing my EXP to gold ratio. There were quite a few monsters I didn't want to use SP on, but couldn't kill in melee. This especially applied to the beefier disease-resistant demons, like Shaelmeons and Incubi, and high HP warriors. I also tended to use Leprosy over Acidic Spray, even when I knew Leprosy might not kill a group of monsters if I got a low damage roll, solely to save SP. In either of these situations, I knew that my Sun Dragons could mop up whatever I didn't kill. This resulted in a lower EXP/gold ratio, although the more important ratio, EXP/time, was still very good! (Although I've hit the point where I can be more time efficient without the Sun Dragons now.)

However, the Sun Dragons did one other thing for me: kept me on shallower floors. Since they were much more vulnerable to Dejenol's deepest denizens, I spent a lot more time exploring and clearing out the upper levels instead of diving deeply. This definitely led to me picking up more money than otherwise, especially due to the third factor. I think this also boosted the frequency with which I found a few rare monsters. I encountered several Griffins over time.

The second major factor was going out of my way to consistently visit dragon lairs. I kept dropping in on the dragons, visiting their spawn points whenever possible! Since I was clearing out whole floors anyway, this wasn't especially burdensome.

There are some other minor factors, like selling my first Vorpal Blade instead of realigning it. (I still haven't found a second one.) However, I think most of it comes down to playstyle.

I'm not doing a hardcore-type challenge, but I'm wondering about my solo character's best tools to take down the Demon Prince specifically. I'm only decently leveled in Sorcerer (around 340), with my Mage sitting around 175 and Wizard probably still below 100. Cube of Death seems like a pretty reliable backup option, and is by far the most damaging of the cubes, though it would still require several rounds to take down the demon prince (although it *would* level his cohort in a single cast, barring awful rolls).

To give context, here's what Hanako did when facing him. Since she didn't have a good source for Precognitive Death, Hanako actually cast Electric Field into the Prince's 75% electric resistance on round 1, just to ensure she killed off those dangerous Daemon Lords. By far the biggest danger was that they would hit Hanako and paralyze her. Arctic Storm wasn't strong enough to guarantee that the Prince's companions would die, so I decided I'd rather Hanako take the risk of an extra round of combat than risk all the companions' paralysis attacks. Afterwards, she switched to Arctic Storm to finish off the Prince. It took 4 rounds total: one round of Electric Field, then three rounds of Arctic Storm.

Offensively, you should be in much better shape. The Cube of Death is a far better weapon than what I had. It will always outdamage Arctic Storm against the whole group, even if you leveled your Sorcerer to max spell level. You're also looking at a likely 3 rounds of combat, with slight odds towards two rounds and very minimal odds towards four. (That four round scenario is even less likely if you bring some companions along to slightly boost your damage.) My own odds skewed towards 4-5 rounds of combat, with 7 rounds as my worst-case scenario.

Defensively, Hanako had two critical advantages: high dexterity and strong companions. Hanako's high dexterity really helped avoid losing initiative and let her escape the room without taking any parting shots. However, her companions were even more important. Since the Demon Prince uses melee only, her companions soaked up several hits from him, saving her from a nasty backstab + critical + electrocution combination. Even more importantly, they lowered her odds of being paralyzed, a death sentence against the Prince. To survive the encounter, I recommend bringing a full group of four companions along! Hanako actually didn't take a single point of damage in the encounter! (She lost all three of her Sun Dragons, however.)

I didn't think my companions would help that much against the Demon Prince. I'm actually wondering if Asmodeus might be a bit tougher, since he's more apt to wipe out all my companions with a single spell. I doubt it though. You can always charm some new companions each time you leave the room. It's not like monsters tend to their wounds while you're gone.

This post has been edited by DarkerMuffin: Dec 25 2019, 10:31 PM

--------------------
null

+Quote Post
Roland
post Dec 25 2019, 02:04 AM
Post #159

Mentor

Member No.: 8,408
referrer:Google

QUOTE (DarkerMuffin @ Dec 24 2019, 07:03 PM) *
The second major factor was going out of my way to consistently visit dragon lairs. I kept dropping in on the dragons, visiting their spawn points whenever possible! Since I was clearing out whole floors anyway, this wasn't especially burdensome.

Yeah, dragons drop a lotta gold! I'll bet half my Morloch's hoard came just from Blue Pelagons. Recently he has not been accumulating as much gold - probably because he has been running too deep to find those Blue Pelagons, although Mundragons aren't bad either.

+Quote Post
MythrilZenith
post Dec 27 2019, 01:18 AM
Post #160

Soldier

Whoops! Didn't see the 0 deaths there. My bad! whistling.gif

Seems reasonable. Dragons are definitely worth visiting for the gold, and going on lower floors also really swings the exp/gold ratio. Hopping down to 15 is definitely a risk, but at this point it sounds like there isn't much more you can do to boost your damage output that won't take a super long time / require a lucky item drop.

--------------------

+Quote Post

8 Pages V  « < 6 7 8
Reply to this topicStart new topic
3 User(s) are reading this topic (3 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 4th April 2020 - 05:42 AM
Bridged By IpbWiki: Integration Of Invision Power Board and MediaWiki © GlobalSoft
Copyrights and Credits