tillrobby
post May 10 2014, 01:08 PM
Post #1

Journeyman

Group: Members Plus
Member No.: 7,563
referrer:google search

Hello,

As I promised, I finally managed to build a web player of the clone that i'm working on, you can find it here:

https://dl.dropboxusercontent.com/u/1951299...or%20Clone.html

This is a very early alpha version, so a lot of things don't work yet(like the shop and bank)

Keep in mind I designed the game for mobile.

Currently there is dungeon level 1, and some monsters in it, but only the left part of the map contains monsters yet.
Xp gathering and level up is working pretty good, combat too(but it needs more work).

When you create a new game before hitting Done, there is a "Create New Character" button. The idea is that you can create a party of 1 - 4 characters, but only the first is visible in combat(this one will be controlled manually, while the rest will be on auto combat).
You can view all the other characters by clicking on the character portrait in the dungeon.(I need to add the ability to re-arrange the characters in the party, character order is from left to right)

You can use the arrow keys or the WASD keys to move around, or by clicking the arrows in the dungeon.
You can go back from any menu by clicking the big X in the upper right corner of the window.

If you find any bugs or if you have any suggestions please write it down, I'll appreciate it smile.gif

(Make sure to check the link from time to time, I'll be compiling there every time I update)

P.S. Currently just 1 party save is working, if you have a party saved and you hit New button, be warned, the old party will be overwritten.
I'll make it that you will be able to make as many parties as you like with the map and monsters being shared.

This post has been edited by tillrobby: May 10 2014, 01:22 PM
Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post
korexus
post May 11 2014, 08:30 PM
Post #2

Voyager

Member No.: 4,011
referrer:Google Search

Not at all bad, there are a few deviations from the original Mordor, some of which are surely deliberate (like showing monsters' remaining life) and others may not be (like deciding which monsters can show up where.) Not sure how much is stuff you haven't got round to doing yet and how much is something you haven't thought of, so hard to comment.

One thing I would say though, if you're wanting to do a fairly faithful Mordor clone, you should look at the .DAT files that come with the game. They include a lot of useful information like which monsters can appear where, and what sort of items they drop. Your comment that "only the left part of the map contains monsters yet" makes me think that you're probably building up this information the hard way...

korexus.

This post has been edited by korexus: May 11 2014, 08:34 PM

+Quote Post
smiley
post May 12 2014, 07:02 AM
Post #3

Explorer

Member No.: 3,220
referrer:google

cool, you got alot of basic dungeon going already =)

i like that you have monster health, even though it takes up alot of space.
ok.gif

+Quote Post
tillrobby
post May 12 2014, 10:43 AM
Post #4

Journeyman

Well the thing is I'm afraid of doing a 100% clone, don't want any lawsuits, will change the picture too etc tongue.gif (btw how much a problem is that I use the same guilds etc.. ?)

Yes I'm building the dungeon the hard way, I don't have an editor yet, but it will be a must for the rest of dungeons.

Monster life can be hidden, I put it for testing the combat tongue.gif (maybe there will be a Show Life On/Off in settings)

+Quote Post
korexus
post May 12 2014, 11:07 AM
Post #5

Voyager

An editor might be useful to see how the files are laid out, but you're probably going to get your hands a bit dirtier than that.

Many years ago, when I started playing around with my Mordor inspired game, I wrote a few php scripts to dump information from the .DAT files into a MySQL database. I didn't include map information as I was generating my own maps, but did get a lot of monster and item data out. I probably still have it around somewhere if you want a look.

I think it's right that you should change the game somewhat, and map layout is a good place to start. But you may want to take a look at how it was managed in the original just to get some pointers on how to go about it in your version. The code is protected IP, but the approach is fairly standard and will save you a lot of work in the long run. smile.gif

Guild names are fairly standard fantasy stuff, same with races, and most of the monsters and items. You might want to personalize it though, by taking a core set of each, then adding your own on top of that. (So no one can complain that your game contains bronze/iron/steel/mithril daggers/swords/axes etc. but maybe instead of a Sword of the Winds you have a Falchion of Tempests.) There are probably a few improvements you'll think of along the way too, which will help to personalize your offering.

One example of such an improvement is your show life option. - How about if that is an ability? There could be an "Amulet of Healthvision" (better name pending) which allows you to see how many hit points monsters have. And / or you could have a "Lifesense" spell that enables it. Perhaps it only works on monsters with a level below the caster's spell level (monsters have levels, you'll find them in the .DAT files wink.gif). Perhaps it doesn't work at all on undead and you need the more powerful "Detect Essence" spell for them.

Anyway, it's your game, so do what you want really! I will give opinions for as long as I think people are willing to listen to them, but you don't have to do anything I say if you don't like it. smile.gif

korexus.

QUOTE (tillrobby @ May 12 2014, 10:43 AM) *
Well the thing is I'm afraid of doing a 100% clone, don't want any lawsuits, will change the picture too etc tongue.gif (btw how much a problem is that I use the same guilds etc.. ?)

Yes I'm building the dungeon the hard way, I don't have an editor yet, but it will be a must for the rest of dungeons.

Monster life can be hidden, I put it for testing the combat tongue.gif (maybe there will be a Show Life On/Off in settings)

This post has been edited by korexus: May 12 2014, 11:09 AM

+Quote Post
tillrobby
post May 12 2014, 06:03 PM
Post #6

Journeyman

Great advice with the monsters life smile.gif
I'll look in the .DAT file, don't know why didn't I think of this before xD

I updated with a minor thing, you can move the position of characters in the party now, but only works in dungeon so far. The idea is that order of characters is important in combat, the first on the left is considered to be in front, and the most right one is in the back. But you can set whichever character in the main window(so you will control his abilities manually)

P.S. There were some bugs with the update, fixed it, but there is a chance that the old saves will not work properly anymore, just start a new group if you encounter errors
I'm really interested in that database if you still have it smile.gif

This post has been edited by tillrobby: May 12 2014, 07:43 PM

+Quote Post
korexus
post May 12 2014, 08:28 PM
Post #7

Voyager

QUOTE (tillrobby @ May 12 2014, 06:03 PM) *
I'm really interested in that database if you still have it smile.gif

I found the data on monsters, spells and items. I think I hacked it about a bit to make it fit my model but it's still mostly the same information. Should be flying through the interweb to you inbox now.

korexus.

+Quote Post
aardless
post May 16 2014, 07:20 PM
Post #8

Goblin Shaman at work (used to be: on strike...)

Group: Admin
Member No.: 18
referrer::yahoo:

You can find all the dat info, without hacking, by using any of the following editors available from the Downloads section: Wabbit's editor, MicroFX's Mordor Customizer or Slimey's Editor. Wabbit's is my favourite.

--------------------
If money doesn't grow on trees, why is it that banks have branches? - sig of a guy on a chinese forum

Most off-topic topics are off-topic - fart642000

+Quote Post
tillrobby
post May 16 2014, 07:22 PM
Post #9

Journeyman

Hey all, some updates here

https://dl.dropboxusercontent.com/u/1951299...or%20Clone.html

I added Items, Inventory, and you can equip some pre-generated gear from the inventory(you need to start a new game)
You can find the Gear tab in the Town menu, in the Characters submenu.

You can scroll through the inventory(left - right by dragging), and by double clicking you equip a selected item.

Have some questions:
What do you say, should i make unequip function too? I think it's pointless since you never want to go naked tongue.gif
And should I implement drag and drop items into equip slot?

Some pics:

+Quote Post
aardless
post May 16 2014, 07:49 PM
Post #10

Wow, impressive art!!!
Unequip might come in handy for cursed items (unless you automatically unequip them after a curse removal?).

--------------------
If money doesn't grow on trees, why is it that banks have branches? - sig of a guy on a chinese forum

+Quote Post
tillrobby
post May 16 2014, 08:23 PM
Post #11

Journeyman

Unfortunately it's not my art, I can't even draw a ball xD (wanted to start learning but that could take some time)
Menus, button and some items are from http://opengameart.org/, and some are from google images tongue.gif need to change those

But there is good news!
I talked to an old friend who was good with drawings, now he works as a comics artist, and he is interested in helping me. In two weeks he will be in town for a talk.

+Quote Post
tillrobby
post May 17 2014, 09:31 AM
Post #12

Journeyman

I started a blog about my project for a little marketing and for myself too, keeps me motivated if I write what I do smile.gif

http://kapasrobert.wordpress.com/

I added a link to your post, smiley, if it bothers you I'll delete it, hope it's ok smile.gif

+Quote Post
igorb
post Jun 1 2014, 10:44 AM
Post #13

Journeyman

Member No.: 3,657
referrer:Google

QUOTE (tillrobby @ May 17 2014, 11:31 AM) *
I started a blog about my project for a little marketing and for myself too, keeps me motivated if I write what I do smile.gif

http://kapasrobert.wordpress.com/

I added a link to your post, smiley, if it bothers you I'll delete it, hope it's ok smile.gif

Looks promising! I've been playing it for a while but I find it a little bit annoying having to check life stats so often when playing with more than one character.

+Quote Post
tillrobby
post Jun 5 2014, 05:39 AM
Post #14

Journeyman

QUOTE (igorb @ Jun 1 2014, 01:44 PM) *
Looks promising! I've been playing it for a while but I find it a little bit annoying having to check life stats so often when playing with more than one character.

Hmm never taught about that... Good point, thanks for sharing smile.gif
I'll need to think of something... anyone has any ideas?

By the way, development has almost stopped for now, I have exams... but in July I'll start with full force.

+Quote Post
igorb
post Jun 5 2014, 12:56 PM
Post #15

Journeyman

Member No.: 3,657
referrer:Google

QUOTE (tillrobby @ Jun 5 2014, 07:39 AM) *
I'll need to think of something... anyone has any ideas?

One way would be to add bars for life and magic/mana/whatever under the character pictures. dntknw.gif

+Quote Post
aardless
post Jun 7 2014, 05:59 PM
Post #16

Or on the pictures.

--------------------

+Quote Post
Danjen
post Jun 24 2014, 12:10 AM
Post #17

Veteran

Group: Mordor MP Prog
Member No.: 3,498
referrer:Decklin's Domain

Web player, huh? Guessing you're using Unity for this? Can't really test it out, bandwidth is a perpetual concern for me.
Pictures look good though, hope you continue working on it!

Wouldn't worry about copyright. As long as you don't call it MORDOR, it should keep Decklin and Tolkien estate away from your game. tongue.gif
Just use original assets one way or the other, and since you can't really copyright game mechanics or implementation, you're free to pretty much use whatever data you want, methinks.

+Quote Post
smiley
post Jun 24 2014, 02:49 PM
Post #18

Explorer

Member No.: 3,220
referrer:google

QUOTE (Danjen @ Jun 24 2014, 02:10 AM) *
Web player, huh? Guessing you're using Unity for this? Can't really test it out, bandwidth is a perpetual concern for me.
Pictures look good though, hope you continue working on it!

Wouldn't worry about copyright. As long as you don't call it MORDOR, it should keep Decklin and Tolkien estate away from your game. tongue.gif
Just use original assets one way or the other, and since you can't really copyright game mechanics or implementation, you're free to pretty much use whatever data you want, methinks.

you are breaking copyrights if you use art or sounds from the original mordor

+Quote Post
korexus
post Jun 24 2014, 10:04 PM
Post #19

Voyager

Probably worth looking at this post for an insight into what Decklin (the copyright holder) is concerned about. While staying within the law is, of course, the correct path. It's best to avoid being sued even if you are technically in the right...

I believe the MXP project got some special allowances to use copyrighted material by communicating with Decklin. On the other hand, he never even replied to my email...

I'd also like to quote DA himself from the same thread:

QUOTE (DavidAllen @ Jan 6 2011, 07:00 AM) *
So do what you love and love what you do and make your own personal project - if you write all your own code and systems, there's nothing wrong with making references to the things you love.

korexus.

+Quote Post
Danjen
post Jun 24 2014, 10:52 PM
Post #20

Veteran

Group: Mordor MP Prog
Member No.: 3,498
referrer:Decklin's Domain

QUOTE (smiley @ Jun 24 2014, 09:49 AM) *
you are breaking copyrights if you use art or sounds from the original mordor
Of course.

That's why I said to use original assets, eg. art+sound that you created.

+Quote Post

3 Pages V   1 2 3 >
Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 11th December 2019 - 06:19 AM
Bridged By IpbWiki: Integration Of Invision Power Board and MediaWiki © GlobalSoft
Copyrights and Credits