IPB

Welcome Guest ( Log In | Register )

Reply to this topicStart new topic
> The Revolutionary Challenge, Viva la revolucion!
Crashland
post Jan 5 2016, 11:28 AM
Post #1

Teacher

Group: Members Plus
Member No.: 4,781
referrer:Yahoo search engine

(Alt title: "Crashland has been playing too much Undertale.")

QUOTE (DarkerMuffin @ Jun 16 2015, 05:54 AM) *
All these pocket hijinks were enough to thoroughly ruin the guild log... so I guess the fun is over... She's made everything more challenging for herself, with no discernible benefit! So, why would she stop now? The right choice is obvious... I've got to stick it to the man!

So now that I understand what motivates Hanako, I need to help her continue the fight against the establishment! Mordor doesn't really have much establishment to fight though, so what should she do next?

There's one specific monster in the dungeon that needs to go. A certain monster that's part of the bureaucratic system that supports Mordor... Let's get the mailman!

I stole Asmodeus's tax return!

QUOTE (korexus @ Jun 16 2015, 12:30 PM) *
The establishment has been profiting from the blood of monsters for too long....

QUOTE (korexus @ Jun 16 2015, 12:30 PM) *
...flaws in the capitalist nature of society.

Hello all. I purchased Mordor 1.1 through Decklin's website recently (yes, I've been a total freeloader up until now), and I wanted to contribute a new challenge to this community to celebrate. Think of it as something to hold your attention while you wait for Mordor XP! Here are some quotes from my Money Challenge thread that inspired me to make a new one, especially DarkerMuffin's character Hanako, whose struggles captivated us all in terms of both their ambition and their sheer insanity. The posts have been truncated to only include the most pertinent bits; I highly recommend reading that thread as well! This one is mostly different and will require... unorthodox strategies. Obviously, Hanako herself is not required to participate, because her life is hard enough as it is. This will include a bit of a roleplay element to it, since you all seem really good at writing entertaining posts. Being creative with your approach and how you choose to write about it is of course highly encouraged. Also, more hilarious hijinks and sticking it to the man like in these quotes, please.

This time around, your party may be of any size, except it cannot be solo. This is to allow for more interesting setups and roleplay opportunities. Your characters may be of any class and race configuration, excluding evil characters because obviously they need to be as selfless as possible for this challenge. Doesn't sound so bad so far, does it? Well, here's the real kicker. You can't use any of the town's services except for guild levels (plus joining guilds), selling, re-aligning, and identifying items at the store, and the bank (just pretend you have a secret cache somewhere). You can justify these small concessions with the fact that you are using the establishment's very resources against it.

What this means for you is relatively simple. You are course allowed to buy your basic starting equipment, but that's it. Any further items must be gotten in the dungeon. You can't have any companions unless you charm/ask them to join yourself. You are allowed to revive this time, but only by a spell cast by a member of your party -- keep your healer alive if you have one!

The corrupt leadership of the town cannot be fought, but there is a way to combat them without striking even a single blow. Obviously, they have been profiting off of the blood of monsters for years, and your characters, being the kind young revolutionaries that they are, want to put a stop to that. There is a being deep down in the depths that is the greatest obstacle to your Utopian dreams, and his name is none other than Asmodeus! Think about it; who is the monster that all adventurers learn to fear? Who is the ultimate hurdle in your path to successful completion of the game? None other than Asmodeus, of course! Defeating him will prove that you don't need their services to succeed, and that your strength, bravery, and determination alone are enough to let you succeed. Your ultimate goal is to lead your party of amateur revolutionaries into the deepest depths of the dungeon and slay Asmodeus! Whoever is the first to do that and release every single monster from Holding and Confinement under these restrictions will be the ultimate victor of this challenge.

QUOTE (Crashland @ Dec 31 2015, 04:02 PM) *
Down with the establishment! Forward for a new age of peaceful coexistence and self-imposed limitations for entertainment and bragging rights!

Good luck!

EDIT: Here is a condensed list of rules.
1. You may not buy items from the Store, with the exception of the starting items that are infinitely available. Only identification, realignment, and selling services are allowed.
2. You may not use Holding and Confinement. Companions must be acquired by your own abilities.
3. You may not use the Morgue. Characters may only be raised from the dead with another party member's spell. Raise dead items are okay too, as long as you find them yourself.
5. Fulfilling monster quests is allowed, but you must never complete item quests.
6. The Party cannot be solo. Furthermore, no party members may be evil.
7. Defeat Asmodeus and buy and release all monsters from Holding and Confinement, and you win.

This post has been edited by Crashland: Jan 22 2016, 10:09 PM

--------------------
For some good reading, if you'd like to participate, or simply to pass the time, be sure to check out my challenge threads.

The Revolutionary Challenge
The Money Challenge

Can't wait to start a Mordor XP challenge.

Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post
korexus
post Jan 5 2016, 08:53 PM
Post #2

Voyager

Member No.: 4,011
referrer:Google Search

Identifying and realigning you say? These are the mechanisms of an oppressive state; forcing labels and conformity, even upon inanimate objects!

My party of freedom fighters will not stoop to using such methods. Yes, reading a tome without knowing the alignment may not be generally considered sensible, but who taught you that, eh? EH? The establishment of course!

Apart from that small oversight your challenge sounds fun, although to honour Hanako I would also suggest never using a guild crest. (They lure you in with pretty trinkets. Before you know it, you are the Man!)

I'm glad my comments provided amusement and inspiration. I'm pretty sure I was drunk when I wrote them...

Now to form a new party. Hmmm.

korexus.

+Quote Post
korexus
post Jan 5 2016, 09:49 PM
Post #3

Voyager

Ok, here we go. Not the best rounded group of characters, but that's all part of the role playing element, right?

10 internet points for spotting the characters.

Name: Ronald Saveloy
Race: Human
Alignment: Good
Levels: 1 Nomad, 1 Sorceror
Stats: 10 Strength, 14 Intelligence, 13 Wisdom, 12 Constitution, 5 Charisma, 10 Dexterity

Although Ronald starts out with more spellcaster stats, I intend him to join the Warrior's and eventually Paladin's guild.

Name: Pretty Butterfly
Race: Elf
Alignment: Neutral
Levels: 1 Nomad, 1 Thief
Stats: 10 Strength, 12 Intelligence, 10 Wisdom, 9 Constitution, 5 Charisma, 17 Dexterity

I wanted to make Butterfly a ninja, but didn't think she should be good aligned. Also, I needed a thief. Her charisma should be higher, will have to work on that in-game.

Name: Lotus Blossom
Race: Gnome
Levels: 1 Nomad
Stats: 8 Strength, 14 Intelligence, 14 Wisdom, 8 Constitution, 9 Charisma, 13 Dexterity

Blossom is going to be the group's healer, once she gets the last point of dex. She should be good really, but Mordor healers can't be good.

Name: Three Yoked Oxen
Race: Giant
Levels: 1 Nomad, 1 Warrior
Stats: 25 Strength, 7 Intelligence, 5 Wisdom, 19 Constitution, 3 Charisma, 10 Dexterity

Big and Stupid! I'm not sure I've played a character with INT and WIS below 10 since getting Mordor. Let's see how this goes.

Steady Progress and Limited Disobedience While Retaining Well-Formulated Good Manners!"

+Quote Post
Crashland
post Jan 6 2016, 06:47 PM
Post #4

Teacher

QUOTE (korexus @ Jan 5 2016, 01:53 PM) *
Identifying and realigning you say? These are the mechanisms of an oppressive state; forcing labels and conformity, even upon inanimate objects!

My party of freedom fighters will not stoop to using such methods. Yes, reading a tome without knowing the alignment may not be generally considered sensible, but who taught you that, eh? EH? The establishment of course!

So true! I appreciate your enthusiasm, but I will be using identification and realignment myself and will not require their disuse for other attempts. Of course, not using guild crests will be a new rule. It works, because bronze daggers are starting equipment. Now, we all can have our own pocket hijinks.

I'm running Mordor 1.1 on my VirtualBox Windows XP machine (Appropriately named "Mordor Machine") for this challenge, but don't expect much in the way of competition from me, considering I've never even gotten to level 4 before. I think that's okay though, because I don't really like the idea of the host of a challenge winning. It's just so anticlimactic, you know? dntknw.gif

So, here is my party. I considered putting a hulking giant at the front, but I reconsidered because I wanted something a little more unusual. Keep in mind that this is listed in order of creation, not the order I will place them in the party. Naturally, I plan on getting them all to level 30 Nomad for the health benefits, and also to live up to my forum name. I apologize in advance for all of my cringe-inducing puns.

Name: Roscoe Ulysses Sirius ("R U Sirius")
Race: Human
Levels: 1 Nomad, 1 Sorcerer
Stats: 6 Strength, 14 Intelligence, 14 Wisdom, 17 Constitution, 5 Charisma, 8 Dexterity

This guy is a reference to some old text-based X-COM let's plays (google his name, and you should be able to find them). He's our sorcerer, and he's kind of the brains of our operation. His name is the source of much merriment. He's also the group's moral compass, since he is the only non-neutral party member.

Name: Audrey
Race: Osiri
Levels: 1 Nomad, 1 Healer
Stats: 8 Strength, 14 Intelligence, 14 Wisdom, 9 Constitution, 7 Charisma, 14 Dexterity

Sadly, 9 was as high as I could get her Constitution while still allowing her to join Healer right at start. I was considering naming her "Anita Life", but I didn't because that was too silly even for me. I named her Audrey instead, because I think that's a pretty name. Since birth, Audrey has always been a kind soul. She is known for nursing a wounded snake back to health, being bitten by said snake, and not even noticing because she was too busy admiring the floral patterns on the walls.

Name: Comrade Dalyn
Race: Dwarf
Levels: 1 Nomad, 1 Warrior
Stats: 14 Strength, 10 Intelligence, 10 Wisdom, 19 Constitution, 3 Charisma, 8 Dexterity

Dalyn has gone rogue and has abandoned his item creation efforts for The Man. No more sash-making for him; now, the only item he creates is revolution and dead monsters. Note: does not play well with czarist regimes.

Kara Unagi
Race: Elf
Levels: 1 Nomad, 1 Thief
Stats: 8 Strength, 12 Intelligence, 10 Wisdom, 11 Constitution, 5 Charisma, 17 Dexterity

Her last name is Unagi, after a Japanese eel, both to honor Hanako and because she's a slippery character. She keeps all the group's treasure hidden away in an obscure location where the authorities can't possibly find them (right outside the dungeon's entrance, since she is homeless). When questioned, she simply feigns ignorance and claims it's only her undergarment drawer. Ever fearful of lawsuits, they stay away.

So, that's my revolutionary party. Roscoe Ulysses Sirius, Audrey, Comrade Stal- I mean Dalyn, and Kara Unagi. Let's try not to get ourselves gruesomely killed.

--------------------
For some good reading, if you'd like to participate, or simply to pass the time, be sure to check out my challenge threads.

The Money Challenge

+Quote Post
korexus
post Jan 11 2016, 11:03 PM
Post #5

Voyager

Well, it's been slow going for my party of revolutionaries. Partly because I don't have a huge amount of time to play, but also because I made the arbitrary decision not to attack any peaceful group of monsters. It turns out that really reduces the available XP.

We've found 4 tomes so far, as Lotus Blossom needs the extra DEX to join the Healer's guild she's read all of them. The first had nothing she could understand; the next two increased her wisdom; and the last one was full of propaganda from the state, decreasing here intelligence and wisdom. Net result -1 INT, +1 WIS and further from joining the guild!

Also, we have failed in the mission statement. Ronald got quested to kill a giant spider and did so. It's actually quite hard to pin without killing a specific monster, at least early on. I should probably have sent him into the dungeon alone until the quest was forfeited. To make amends, he has taken a giant spider from confinement and released it in the same place. I will endeavour not to kill this one! I await Crashland's judgement on whether this is acceptable, or if Ronald needs to be kicked out of the party.

Levels so far:
Three Yoked Oxen: Nomad 1, Warrior 6
Ronald Saveloy: Nomad 7, Sorceror 2
Pretty Butterfly: Nomad 6, Thief 1
Lotus Blossom: Nomad 5

+Quote Post
Crashland
post Jan 13 2016, 09:36 AM
Post #6

Teacher

You know, we've all surely been waiting eagerly for Mordor XP, but I've been thinking about something. To play Mordor, I've been running a virtual machine running Windows XP. Could we perhaps say that I am now already playing Mordor XP even though it's not even released yet? tomato.gif

Sorry. That was terrible. Anyway, thank you very much for participating. I really do appreciate it.

QUOTE (korexus @ Jan 11 2016, 03:03 PM) *
We've found 4 tomes so far, as Lotus Blossom needs the extra DEX to join the Healer's guild she's read all of them. The first had nothing she could understand; the next two increased her wisdom; and the last one was full of propaganda from the state, decreasing here intelligence and wisdom. Net result -1 INT, +1 WIS and further from joining the guild!

Also, we have failed in the mission statement. Ronald got quested to kill a giant spider and did so. It's actually quite hard to pin without killing a specific monster, at least early on. I should probably have sent him into the dungeon alone until the quest was forfeited. To make amends, he has taken a giant spider from confinement and released it in the same place. I will endeavour not to kill this one! I await Crashland's judgement on whether this is acceptable, or if Ronald needs to be kicked out of the party.

Damned state propaganda! Next thing you know, they'll be telling us that monsters only exist to be annihilated for money and power! No, we have to try harder. No doubt, the monsters have internalized that vile slander and have started attacking us noble revolutionaries simply because they don't know any better. I'm letting Ronald off the hook, but only because he did his best to inconvenience the state as best he could. His heart is in the right place. If he should ever waver in his dedication and begin aiding the state on purpose though, then we will have to... cut him loose. Metaphorically speaking, of course.

(By the way, what I like to do about peaced monsters is to simply wait until they become hostile. sneaky.gif )

I've actually been waiting for someone else to post so I could start. I'd just feel bad about double posting, I guess. Now, I can proceed, although it is getting quite late for me. After firing up the mighty-for-its-time Mordor Machine and starting up Mordor itself, I have been playing for a bit using my revolutionary party. I noticed two issues that The Party is having here. First, Comrade Dalyn is getting most of the XP, since he is in the front and most of the monsters seem to attack us one at a time. Well, I suppose if they were smarter, they would have slaughtered the town for good years ago. I mean, think about it; the only thing stopping them is a mysteriously empty room and a staircase. Hmm, maybe it has something to do with the questmaster being completely immortal... Moving right along, the party will also need better dexterity so that they can wear better equipment eventually and cast better spells. Not getting stolen from or hit with new and interesting ways to die horribly sounds nice too.

We went into the dungeon and got a scroll and a potion. The potion turned out to be a potion of health, and all it does is cure diseases. Are you... Sirius? I can't imagine a more useless or disappointing item for us to find, even though someone else here who is more learned than I am could probably list several from memory. The scroll was a "Scroll of Nantasu" which casts "Dominate Devil" at the caster's spell level. I don't know about you, but that sounds incredibly kinky to me. After selling that to the local nightmare fetishist, The Party now has just over 200k gold.

We are truly an effective fighting force. Comrade Dalyn and Kara Unagi are in the front, slashing at monsters with their bronze sword and dagger respectively... their bronze blades of victory, that is! Audrey and R U Sirius are are in the back flinging level one spells at whatever is miraculously still alive after the onslaught of the melee duo's combined attack. Asmodeus, tremble in your boot-equivalents! The Party can now withstand several vicious kobold attacks!

Comrade Dalyn: 3 Nomad, 1 Warrior
Kara Unagi: 2 Nomad, 1 Thief
Audrey: 2 Nomad, 1 Healer
R U Sirius: 2 Nomad, 1 Sorcerer

Sorry for not doing much. It's late for me, and I should get some rest.

--------------------

The Money Challenge

+Quote Post
Crashland
post Jan 15 2016, 04:46 AM
Post #7

Teacher

So, I've been playing more with "The Party", as I've begun to affectionately call it, and I noticed something that I found a bit odd. The monsters are peaceful to us (at least initially, until they inevitably grow tired of our existence) a lot more than I remember them being. Gredlan Rogues in particular seem reluctant to attack us when peaced. Perhaps they know of our struggle? Nonetheless, I make sure to stay in the area until they change their minds - to test their commitment to revolution, not to take their loot and xp of course. I would never do such a heinous thing!

We found our first Tome! It's a tome of agility, although we didn't have enough money to fully ID it. I'll just sell it, thus allowing us to have more funds to use for revolutionary activities and lowering the cost of future identification/realignment of these nifty things. It also turned out to be neutrally aligned, which was slightly irritating since most of The Party is neutrally aligned and could probably use more agility. It's all good though, because I seem to be finding plenty of tomes today! happy.gif

I should probably gain access to some kind of levitate spell, because the party keeps falling into pits and endangering poor Audrey's life.

Kara got a quest to kill one Rowdy. I am considering lifting the requirement to fail every quest, considering it doesn't really add much to the challenge other than annoyance. Let me know what you think.

In other news, The Party found a Scroll of Control, Dragon's Water, a Scroll of Negrun, a Mace of Kordul (cursed), a neutral Tome of Might (we did have enough to ID it this time, but I just wanted The Party to have more money), a Key of Opening, Nugena Gauntlets which quite frankly sound delicious, a good-aligned Tome of Agility that I gave to R U Sirius, a neutral-aligned Tome of Agility that I gave to Comrade Dalyn, and an evil potion of agility. No idea how that works, but selling it plus the rest of the aforementioned useless crap got us some good money. We now have about 2.5 million gold.

Comrade Dalyn: 5 Nomad, 4 Warrior
Kara Unagi: 5 Nomad, 2 Thief
Audrey: 5 Nomad, 1 Healer
R U Sirius: 4 Nomad, 1 Sorcerer

I do wish we could start encountering more monsters at once. With most monsters attacking in single groups of one or two, Audrey and R U Sirius are getting starved for XP despite having spells that could theoretically kill a lot of monsters, thus making up for their positions in the rear of the party. In the rare occasion that we do find a large group of monsters, they all get annihilated almost instantly. Looks like I underestimated The Party. blink.gif

--------------------

The Money Challenge

+Quote Post
DarkerMuffin
post Jan 17 2016, 06:38 AM
Post #8

Fighter

Member No.: 4,683
referrer:Search engine

Cool! Hanako fomented a revolution! I never dreamed that her exploits would inspire a whole new challenge!

ˇViva la revolución!

QUOTE (Crashland @ Jan 13 2016, 02:36 AM) *
(By the way, what I like to do about peaced monsters is to simply wait until they become hostile. sneaky.gif )

I've always liked that element of Mordor. In a dungeon that tolerates the vilest of creatures, from Mengu-Ogres and Walking Corpses to Slippery Mires and Vomitis Goos, it is only when the dungeon doors open to let some creature with horribly grotesque features in that the monsters say, "No more." The thing from town is so ugly that even the most placid of monsters turns against the abomination to put it out of its misery.

Or maybe the character's not actually ugly. Maybe the character's just prone to making frequent monster faux pas. Could Ronald, when introducing the party to a Namana, have made an obscene gesture in the Namanese language? Or perhaps a Pseudo-Dragon with a complex overheard the pseudo part. There's also the case of mistaken identity. Rumor has it that the Aboleth just hates being called a Diseased Muck. (For the tree-like indiginis, perhaps this is how it happens.)

QUOTE (Crashland @ Jan 14 2016, 09:46 PM) *
Kara got a quest to kill one Rowdy. I am considering lifting the requirement to fail every quest, considering it doesn't really add much to the challenge other than annoyance. Let me know what you think.

I think it would be a better fit as an extra challenge that's available, rather than a requirement. It's too easy to accidentally kill a target, especially when teleporters become involved. There's also the bug which gives you extra HP for forfeiting quests at low levels.

--------------------
null

+Quote Post
korexus
post Jan 17 2016, 10:02 AM
Post #9

Voyager

Killing monsters for the questmaster just shows your dedication to the guild. The guild doesn't gain anything from it, so I think it's reasonable for a covert revolutionary to play along and make the kill.

Returning items on the other hand makes the guild stronger. You never see these items being loaned out to new guild members to help them along. (Although that would be an awesome feature if any MXP people are reading.) This is clearly the Man at work.

I'd suggest therefore that item quests must be forfeited and monster quests may be completed. It fits with the inspiration story, works thematically, and is easier to play.

I'm not going to go out of my way to complete a monster quest, but progress will be faster if I don't have to run screaming from every gredlan rogue I see just in case I accidentally kill it.

+Quote Post
Technomancer
post Jan 18 2016, 06:50 AM
Post #10

Drifter

Member No.: 4,716
referrer:Google, TWICE!

I haven't posted on here in ages, nor played in ages, but I always check back from time to time. I noticed this challenge the other day and it's captured my imagination for some reason! smile.gif I've become inspired to dust off my old copy of Mordor, pop it in a VM, and get my arrow keys on!!

I feel the same way as Korexus that item quests are giving in to the man, but killing monsters is what you do anyway, I don't think there's any harm in allowing those quests. I think it's a fair compromise. Also, a condensed, numbered list of rules would be helpful to avoid "accidents".

On to the Revolution!

My immediate impression was "what about the monstrous and underused races in the game?" I've decided to theme my party around that! Along with the obvious background from the challenge, I've left the story up to the character descriptions, which are a bit wordy. Long story short, they're outcasts either by circumstance or nature and are determined to make a place for themselves and their kind by their own hand with no help from those who have discounted them or cast them aside!

---

Name: "Ugly Bobbins" (play on Ugly Bob from "South Park")
Race: Gnome
Levels: 1 Nomad, (Healer once first Dex Tome is found) (Intentions: Healer/Seeker, dip in Thief for Charm of Opening)
Stats: Str 8, Int 14, Wis 14, Con 8, Cha 9, Dex 13

Hideous and crude by Gnomish standards, Bobbins is an average looking and reasonably mannered fellow by human standards. He has always been looked down upon by his adorable and charming brethren, making him feel like an outcast. This has given him a great deal of compassion for "ugly" races like ogres and morlochs. He's grown to despise the way they are treated by the "pretty races", never getting picked for adventuring parties, etc. There has been dissension among those oppressed residents of Town, and Ugly Bobbins is right there with them. He knows what it's like to be disregarded and under-appreciated and has had enough! He plans on getting a group of others like himself together (except Giants. He HATES Giants and they always get picked for adventuring parties anyway!) to show the hoity-toity folks around here what they're capable of!! Viva la revolucion!

Name: Ogretha (sarcastic play on Lagertha from "Vikings")
Race: Ogre
Levels: 1 Nomad, 1 Warrior (Intentions: Warrior all the way, maybe dip in Scavenger for Charm of Opening)
Stats: Str 15, Int 10, Wis 10, Con 21, Cha 3, Dex 8

Where Ugly Bobbins thinks he's ugly, Ogertha is downright hideous by all standards! Warty, smelly, and with a talent for always saying the wrong thing, it helps that she can clobber anyone who gives her trouble. Despite all that, she also has a heart of gold and her friendship, once earned, is complete and eternal. Bobbins saw through to her inner self and has become one of her closest (and few) friends. She would do anything to protect him and is eager to take part in any of his schemes. Also, she's been wondering what a half ogre, half gnome would be called. Gnogre seems the most obvious. Meanwhile, Bobbins is blissfully unaware of her intentions...

Name: Kulgar
Race: Morloch
Levels: 1 Nomad, 1 Warrior (Intentions: Warrior/Sorcerer, some Mage eventually, a little Seeker later as a backup)
Stats: Str 14, Int 13, Wis 12, Con 10, Cha 5, Dex 8

"Morlochs can't be Mages! They're about as personable as Green Slime!" Is just one example of what Kulgar has been hearing all his life. Rather uncouth, even for a Morloch, Kulgar has always dreamed of becoming a Mage. He has a long way to go to become personable and nimble enough to do it, but he hopes hanging around a "likable" Gnome like Bobbins will help. He is strong and has always had a sharp mind, so he has talents to use along the way. He'll get there one day, of that he is certain. He'll also do it without the help of his nay-sayers, of that he's determined!

Name: Scrag
Race: Troll
Levels: 1 Nomad, 1 Thief (Intentions: Primary Thief, Nomad up to A/D cap (197))
Stats: Str 8, Int 12, Wis 10, Con 11, Cha 5, Dex 17

He's the best Thief there ever will be! Just ask him! Scrag is sick of always being overlooked because of those blasted Osiri. And any time a Troll is ever given a chance, it's only if they're Ninjas! He never gets picked for sneak duty because everyone wants an Osiri Thief/Sorcerer. "Wooo! I can open chests AND blow stuff up AND do it before anyone can react! Woooo!!" He'll show everyone! He just needs some folks to watch his back while he steals everyone in the depths blind. Then, he's coming for Town...

---

I wanted to buck tradition with Bobbins (no Mage/Paladin) and Scrag (no Ninja). I decided to give everyone 10 Int/Wis to use Tomes. Bobbins didn't have enough to join Healer, so I figured a Dex Tome would be the easiest to find. Ogretha was the only one I could get a high Con on. I've considered stopping leveling at 10 to farm Con Tomes, but I doubt I'll bother. The time spent farming a dozen or more Con Tomes seems better spent leveling post-30. Scrag will go up pretty quickly, so HP shouldn't be a problem, but the casters are gonna be a bit fragile, especially maintaining multiple guilds.

Also, I'm starting this with legacy store, guild, confinement, and map from a retired party that already made it to 15. No help will be given obviously, but I thought it made sense to live in the shadow of The Man(s). The old party are the Guildmasters now! It is them we must tear down! Scrag stole the map from the Nomads guild. The store has a lot of stock which has the effect of 1.) items being cheaper to re-align, but 2.) they don't sell for hardly anything. The Confinement is chock full as well, making freeing all the captives a much more expensive endeavor.

+Quote Post
Crashland
post Jan 21 2016, 09:44 AM
Post #11

Teacher

QUOTE (DarkerMuffin @ Jan 16 2016, 10:38 PM) *
Cool! Hanako fomented a revolution! I never dreamed that her exploits would inspire a whole new challenge!

ˇViva la revolución!

I'm glad to have you here, DarkerMuffin! Your clever wit and extremely quotable typing style will certainly be a boon to this thread. I do hope you will be participating at some point.

The thing from town is so ugly that even the most placid of monsters turns against the abomination to put it out of its misery.

I am soooo tempted to place this quote in my signature, but I already have you quoted in my signature. Oh, first world problems. whistling.gif

I think it would be a better fit as an extra challenge that's available, rather than a requirement. It's too easy to accidentally kill a target, especially when teleporters become involved. There's also the bug which gives you extra HP for forfeiting quests at low levels.

QUOTE (korexus @ Jan 17 2016, 02:02 AM) *
I'd suggest therefore that item quests must be forfeited and monster quests may be completed. It fits with the inspiration story, works thematically, and is easier to play.

I'm not going to go out of my way to complete a monster quest, but progress will be faster if I don't have to run screaming from every gredlan rogue I see just in case I accidentally kill it.

This is all very sound reasoning. Very well, we are now only required to fail the item quests. Having to fail monster quests is just unnecessary tedium, and that is not something I wish to subject my fellow revolutionaries to.

QUOTE (Technomancer @ Jan 17 2016, 10:50 PM) *
I haven't posted on here in ages, nor played in ages, but I always check back from time to time. I noticed this challenge the other day and it's captured my imagination for some reason! smile.gif I've become inspired to dust off my old copy of Mordor, pop it in a VM, and get my arrow keys on!!

I am happy that my little challenge has inspired someone to continue playing Mordor. To tell you the truth, I've been hoping to see some more activity around here for a while now. I bet that when Mordor XP is released, things will really pick up!

QUOTE (Technomancer @ Jan 17 2016, 10:50 PM) *
I feel the same way as Korexus that item quests are giving in to the man, but killing monsters is what you do anyway, I don't think there's any harm in allowing those quests. I think it's a fair compromise. Also, a condensed, numbered list of rules would be helpful to avoid "accidents".

Glad to have you aboard! Your party is well-thought-out, nontraditional, and highly unusual -- just what we need here at The Revolutionary Challenge! This is a good idea, and I will now do my best to condense this thread's rules into a more.. laconic form. I am not some king or despot that must be obeyed unquestionably though; all rules are negotiable as long as the spirit of the challenge is followed.

1. You may not buy items from the Store, with the exception of the starting items that are infinitely available. Only identification, realignment, and selling services are allowed.
2. You may not use Holding and Confinement. Companions must be acquired by your own abilities.
3. You may not use the Morgue. Characters may only be raised from the dead with another party member's spell. Raise dead items are okay too, as long as you find them yourself.
5. Fulfilling monster quests is allowed, but you must never complete item quests.
6. The Party cannot be solo. Furthermore, no party members may be evil.
7. Defeat Asmodeus and buy and release all monsters from Holding and Confinement, and you win.

This post has been edited by Crashland: Jan 22 2016, 01:16 AM

--------------------

The Money Challenge

+Quote Post
Technomancer
post Jan 23 2016, 08:42 AM
Post #12

Drifter

After action reports from operatives in the field, day 5:

Ugly Bobbins (30 Nomad, 17 Healer): "Well, I thought we was gonna break the stairs there for a while! Not depending on the Morgue is pretty nerve wracking starting out! We've all had close calls except Scrag (cause he's sneaky), but no corpses. We've managed to find a lot of Tomes (which we've mostly used) and stat Potions (which we've mostly sold). Scrag has found a ton of (N) Agility Tomes, so he's as fast as he can get, but Ogretha and Kulgar are kinda struggling to get enough to equip the gear we've been finding. I didn't think about the stat requirements for gear and spells, so we've been a little stuck for a while. Just last night Scrag could finally start casting Charm of Opening! Next, I'm shooting for the stats to cast Raise Dead that I recently learned from the Healers, and Kulgar is trying to figure out how to use a Bells of Kwalish he found. We've also gotten hung up on some guild quests, asking us to bring them items. The gall! No way! The Nomads wanted me to bring back some Iron Bracers, and I already had some. I made sure to keep them until I was ready to advance. Came back to town, sold them, and went to the guild and said 'Nah!" They held me back, but principles aren't easy! It was inspiring to the others and they've all been faced with the same situation and did the right thing."

Scrag (30 Nomad, 28 Thief): "I've been making short sneak attacks on the Goblin lair in level 3 lately, but we still make a point of scouring a couple areas on level 1 for Tomes. Bobbins spams Leprosy, and Ogretha... does what she does, but man those things hit hard! The first time we went in, we barely dragged Ogretha out of the guard room before she bit it!! So far we've found 3 Aards. Sold the first one (N) for ~12 million(!!!), Bobbins used the 2nd one (N), and we did something terminally stupid with the 3rd... I saw the lower ID price that I saw on the 2nd one, and assumed it was also (N). We tried to save a few million by not IDing it and just used it on Bobbins and... it did nothing. Not only did he waste it, I lost several million gold I, I mean we, could have made selling it... Anyway, all the Tomes I've been finding, I am super quick now! My destiny is within reach! All I need now is practice."

Kulgar (1 Nomad, 25 Warrior): "Despite certain bad business decisions by certain SOMEBODIES, our little revolution is getting pretty well funded. That's about to get blasted by Bobbins and myself infiltrating the Seekers and Sorcerers, respectively. I feel like I'm getting real close to getting into the Mages guild, but right now, we need some serious arcane firepower and resistance magic. I'm up for it as soon as I feel I've learned as much as I need from the Warriors guild for the time being. On a side note, for some reason, I don't think the denizens of the dungeon like me very much. They seem to focus on me more than random chance, despite that big slab of death-meat Ogretha being up front. Also, she's getting all the kills before I get a chance to act, Scrag is disarming a lot of traps, and Bobbins is blasting entire rooms with what he affectionately calls 'anti-healing spells'. Between all that and bad luck getting stuck with a bunch of quests, I've been falling behind. Maybe learning to throw some frozen fire-lightning at everything will help..."

Ogretha (30 Nomad, 32 Warrior): "We tried play nice with monsters. Some play nice, but when don't play nice, they get drop on us before we smash'em. So we stop playing nice with ones we don't think will play nice, like deads, demons, bugs, slimes, thieves, and things with boxes. Things with boxes nervous and attack, think we there to steal their stuff. So we attack first. And steal their stuff. Also, little folks sell all evil Tomes. They call me dumb! I start collect them. When I get big pile, go to store, make them so I can use them, cheap. Super smart! Also, I kill everything always, so I think I just relax. I defend for while and let little folk do killing for me. Easy. Fun. Make me feel like boss!"

This post has been edited by Technomancer: Jan 23 2016, 08:49 AM

+Quote Post
Technomancer
post Jan 27 2016, 06:06 AM
Post #13

Drifter

Oh wow, things almost went REALLY BAD!!! I've been exploring level 3 pretty regularly now, and have been sure to cast Resist Draining with Kulgar. Having become comfortable, I was digging around in some dusty corners and stumbled on a pack of Nostrums. No biggie, just more crittersOMG WHAT HAPPENED TO KULGAR?!!! HE'S DEAD!! RUN!! NO THEY GOT SCRAG TOO!! GAME OVER MAN! GAME OVER!!!!

I totally forgot there were stoning monsters on 3! Ogretha and Bobbins made it out, but Kulgar and Scrag were both statues back in there with all those Nostrums! After I stopped freaking out, I started thinking about the situation. Bobbins was still pretty good on spell points and had Resist Draining from Healer, but at a high cost. He cast it on himself and Ogretha, then got Leprosy ready. They dove back in, Rotted those beasties, picked up a couple statues, and hightailed it back to town.

Bobbins has had pretty good luck on stat items, so I wasn't too worried. I looked under my healing spells and Restore Flesh was NOT BOLDED OMG WHAT ARE WE GONNA DO??!!! I looked under the requirements and it turns out I was short by 1 Con point! Ok, that's doable, but it might take awhile. Ya know what? We're going back down to the Goblin Lair to look for an Aard! I figured that was the shortest route to another point of Con, so we drilled back down and paved the corridors with Leprosy blood. Got to the Goblin Lair, Leprosy, Leprosy, Leprosy, got to the Shaman Room, sure enough, there was an unlocked chest! Leprosy, Leprosy, Leprosy, opened the chest and found a... scroll... *sigh*. Well, I guess we're gonna have to do this the hard way. Headed back to town, and while plowing through level 1 monsters, a box left by a couple skeletons had a Tome of Endurance! Woot! Took it to town, it was (e) of course, but re-aligned for 1.5M, used it, and viola! Restore Flesh was lit up! Cast it on Kulgar and Scrag, and we're back in business! They both lost a point of Con, but I was afraid our goose was cooked!

If Bobbins had been one of the 2 stoned, it would have been a disaster. I would have had to start half the party over from scratch. I had Bobbins in the back, that may have saved his hide, I think I may keep him there from now on. He can solve everyone else's problems, but if he goes down, everyone is in trouble. No one else even has the stats to use Bells of Kwalish yet. Are there any items that cast Restore Flesh?

This all happened a couple days ago. Current party stats are:
Ogretha: 30 Nomad, 35 Warrior (have had him set to 'Defend' most of the time)
Scrag: 30 Nomad, 49 Thief
Kulgar: 26 Nomad, 28 Warrior, Sorcerer 28
Ugly Bobbins: 30 Nomad, 7 Seeker, 30 Healer

This post has been edited by Technomancer: Jan 27 2016, 06:07 AM

+Quote Post
Grog
post Jan 29 2016, 11:47 PM
Post #14

Mentor

Member No.: 162
referrer: Not since college

^Nice levels.

I'm in. Party of three:

La Hire
Giant: Nomad 21, Seeker 8
Paladin
Dwarf: Nomad 14, Thief 7
Joan d'Arc
Osiri: Nomad 14, Sorcerer 9

--------------------
It is against your ways to attack a Good companion

+Quote Post

Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 14th October 2019 - 09:41 AM
Bridged By IpbWiki: Integration Of Invision Power Board and MediaWiki © GlobalSoft
Copyrights and Credits