IPB

Welcome Guest ( Log In | Register )

8 Pages V  « < 5 6 7 8 >  
Reply to this topicStart new topic
> The Money Challenge, Get as much money as you can!
Nudibranch
post Jun 6 2015, 07:09 AM
Post #121

Fire Master

Group: Mordor MP Prog
Member No.: 71
referrer:search

The idea of using companions from much deeper levels to aid a character is interesting. It's perfect for legacy characters (which I never use). But doing it during a no-dying challenge is very daring.

Good luck. ok.gif

--------------------
I would have started with lasers. Eight o'clock. Day one.
Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post
DarkerMuffin
post Jun 6 2015, 11:25 AM
Post #122

Fighter

Group: Members Plus
Member No.: 4,683
referrer:Search engine

I don't think I'd have the stomach to risk it if my last hardcore attempts hadn't ended with paralysis. I've been wanting something to help manage those awful paralyzing monsters, so I was hoping that taking a decent risk here would pay off by dramatically reducing the odds of another Harpy or Vampire game over. I'd rather lose a level 100 character trying to snag a cool companion than stare helplessly as my paralyzed level 200 character gets slowly picked apart by a Ghoul.

Anyways, I updated my previous post with the results. Spoiler: I got a brand new set of Spectral Dragons!

--------------------
null

+Quote Post
DarkerMuffin
post Jun 12 2015, 01:18 AM
Post #123

Fighter

After the messy previous run on the Spectral Dragons, I ultimately ended up with too few OoLD charges to make going for the dragons worthwhile. Without a quick cast of the orb, the dragons broke their binding far too quickly to keep around as companions, even in my highest leveled guild. Hanako was a level 100 thief, which was barely sufficient to bring the Spectral Dragons back to the confinement. I shuddered to think of trying to bring them home as a Healer, at a mere level 65! —Disregard this. GaiaCaT says that monsters respect your highest guild level, not your current guild level— I assumed that I was out of luck with the deepest dragons for a long while. I started considering White Dragons as an alternative, and maybe Ice Dragons later on.

And then fortune smiled upon me! A foolish Kyu Hota on level 6 challenged me to battle. Before my acid he fell, and left behind its sacred treasure: One Orb of Life Domination (g)! After a brief trip to the store for realignment, it was back to companion hunting!

And so I hunted and hunted, teleporting down to 14 and back for days on end. I wound up having to recharge my ring of teleportation several times while trying to find a group of four Spectral Dragons, costing 20,000,000~ each time! Fortunately, they still yielded enough money from treasure and the confinement that it was profitable, but my inner miser screamed at me every time I sold and bought that damned ring. When I had tested this gambit on a separate character before Hanako, most of my Spectral Dragon encounters did come in groups of four, making this even more ridiculous! I wound up getting enough experience to go up to 138 in Thief while running up and down to 14, with no insignificant part due to charming so many dragons.

But then a funny thing happened. Somewhere between 100 and 138, the Spectral Dragons stopped breaking any binding. I had reached a point where I could charm a group, return to town to sell off the weakest of the lot, and then come back to 14 with one or two in the party to capture some more, all without seeing any binding levels broken. When I started this, it would take a charge of life domination to even contemplate doing this. Now, I could be much pickier about the Spectral Dragons I would ultimately use.

Of course, once I started bringing at least one Spectral Dragon with me, I started meeting them in groups of four. rolleyes.gif This wound up being much more efficient, and I ended up with my final group!

When I wound up wanting to get into a fear chest a group of (four!) Spectral Dragons left behind, I bound the first three Spectral Dragons to me for life. They were far enough above the average HP of 265 that I wanted to hang on to them. After that, I didn't want to risk my life-bound companions in a repeat of my Shadow Dragon accident, so I wound up buying the fourth one from the store. (There was a fourth one in the party before the store one, but its HP was 221, so I kicked it out before orbing the first three.) Mission accomplished!

I also wound up grabbing several quite nice items from deeper than I would otherwise dive right now. The biggest two were boots of agility and a scarab of defense, which helpfully free up a couple of buffer slots. They probably detracted from my fundraising goal though, since I realigned them so I could go ahead and wear them. whistling.gif Hopefully the other stuff I grabbed makes up for that some. (Incidentally, I'm at 1,235,680,335 gold now.)

Now that I have them, let's get some use out of them! First though, how should I order them? The helplesson says something about enemy monsters preferring to target companions in the early slots, so I've been debating how I want to order them. I think the most obvious approach would be to order them by highest to lowest HP, so that if enemy monsters gang up on one, it would be the healthiest one that's least likely to take too much damage and die. However, the 265 HP one is by far the most expendable of the group. Since some single target attacks will kill the dragons regardless of HP (stoning, draining touch at a high spell level), I'd rather have the weakest dragon targeted! I could also go for some hybrid of those two approaches. I could also reorganize them based on what I'm doing in the dungeon, like the strongest to weakest order for when I'm clearing out lakes, then the weakest to strongest approach if I'm sneaking through mythical lairs. (I doubt I'll do that last one, since there's too much micromanagement for my tastes.)

There's one big benefit to running around with these companions. The dragons give me a big out if I'm paralyzed. There are only a few paralyzing monsters before 15 that really spell trouble for the Spectral Dragons. Violet Fungi are probably the nastiest possibility, with four massive groups that can all cast spells, plus acid attacks. Fortunately, they're rare, and I won't be entering slime rooms if I can help it. Pariahs are also nasty, with tons of HP and mind spells that can wipe out the dragons. I really don't want to be paralyzed by either one of those. I'd likely lose my companions, and if I didn't die, I'd either lose a bunch of items to the slimes or come away middle-aged! I think the dragons can handle pretty much every other paralyzing monster, but I hope I never need to test that claim.

This post has been edited by DarkerMuffin: Jun 12 2015, 10:40 AM

--------------------
null

+Quote Post
Nudibranch
post Jun 12 2015, 07:53 PM
Post #124

Fire Master

You could try farming the Twisted Elf for more Rings of Teleportation and sell them to the store, which would bring the cost down when you "recharge" the last one. Same goes for Rings of Enchantment.

Then again, the time it would take to do this probably makes it not worth it, unless you left the game running in the background while doing something else and stepped into his lair every half hour or so. dntknw.gif

--------------------

+Quote Post
DarkerMuffin
post Jun 13 2015, 04:25 AM
Post #125

Fighter

I've done a little bit of that, although I was more motivated by finding that elusive Ring of Death. I haven't been great about spacing out when I play though, so I've seen less of the Twisted Elf than usual. There are also the Black Pelagons with their double ring slots, and I think Gumons drop level 6 rings, but I'm not sure what other decent sources there are. (Hm, maybe I should put the monster drops into a sortable table.) I've gotten a few decent rings from Kyu Nardanas, but that's thanks to sheer numbers.

Looking at it now, what I should've done was level up in Seeker. I was parked at 76 for a long time, not wanting to level up past 77 and receive the guild crest, since that's a permanent item slot down the drain. There is an unconventional solution though!

I filled up my inventory with bronze daggers before leveling up! I should've either done this earlier or taken the item slot hit, so I could've saved 60,000,000ish recharging the ring. C'est la vie.

I did wind up with three Rings of Entrapment though, so I haven't had to recharge one of those!

--------------------
null

+Quote Post
Nudibranch
post Jun 13 2015, 07:38 AM
Post #126

Fire Master

Heh. Game exploits can be so funny - so arbitrary.

"Oh, you have no pockets free? In that case, we won't give this gift to you."

*discards daggers* "Good thing they didn't stick this gift that can never be thrown away in my pocket because I wanted to use it for something else."

--------------------

+Quote Post
DarkerMuffin
post Jun 16 2015, 01:54 PM
Post #127

Fighter

rofl.gif

I'd rather use the small pocket excuse than the old, "I lost it in a tropical mud bath inside a mine." I did switch to pine staffs over bronze daggers though, because they're cheaper and provide a far more amusing mental image. They look much more becoming on Hanako! All these pocket hijinks were enough to thoroughly ruin the guild log.

Unfortunately, the Questmaster came by to ruin my fun. He assigned Hanako to find a War Hammer, which is usually a pricy yet easy quest. In this case, there's something more sinister at work. If Hanako comes back to the guild with a War Hammer and levels up, the Seekers will take away the War Hammer, then try to give Hanako the Crest. There's no avoiding it without forfeiting the quest. I really don't want to give up six levels worth of experience, so I guess the fun is over.

But before leveling Hanako up again, I started thinking about the nature of this game. Hanako has refused to use the bank, against all sense of reason. She's signed a do not resuscitate order, against all sense of self-preservation. She's teleported down deep into the dungeon, with no chance of revival, so she can try to charm and bind companions she's not supposed to have yet. She's filled her pockets with useless junk, just to avoid being recognized with an award she doesn't want. Everything Hanako has done is contrary to what she should have been doing. She's made everything more challenging for herself, with no discernible benefit! So, why would she stop now? The right choice is obvious.

I've got to stick it to the man!

Of course, the Questmaster promptly took his revenge by assigning Hanako three Purple Ooze quests in the next ten levels. It was obviously part of a nefarious plot to destroy all those items clogging Hanako's pockets. His plan failed when the Spectral Dragons put an end to those quests, pine staffs intact!

So now that I understand what motivates Hanako, I need to help her continue the fight against the establishment! Mordor doesn't really have much establishment to fight though, so what should she do next? She's already boycotting the bank, and the Questmaster is untouchable. There's no black market to patronize, so she's stuck using the store and confinement. She's already thumbing her nose at the Seekers, but there's not much else she can do to the guilds. The monsters in the dungeon aren't exactly the establishment, plus she's already slaughtering them indiscriminately.

Well, there is one thing. There's one specific monster in the dungeon that needs to go. A certain monster that's part of the bureaucratic system that supports Mordor. An old adage comes to mind.

Neither chutes nor quicksand nor rotators nor gloom of fog stays these courriers from the swift completion of their appointed rounds.

Impressive, but it doesn't mention Hanakos! Let's get the mailman!

I stole Asmodeus's tax return!

(Also, Hanako currently has 2.3 billion gold.)

--------------------
null

+Quote Post
Nudibranch
post Jun 16 2015, 04:46 PM
Post #128

Fire Master

Impressive. Also, you are insane.

--------------------

+Quote Post
korexus
post Jun 16 2015, 08:30 PM
Post #129

Explorer

Member No.: 4,011
referrer:Google Search

QUOTE (DarkerMuffin @ Jun 16 2015, 02:54 PM) *
So now that I understand what motivates Hanako, I need to help her continue the fight against the establishment! Mordor doesn't really have much establishment to fight though, so what should she do next? She's already boycotting the bank, and the Questmaster is untouchable. There's no black market to patronize, so she's stuck using the store and confinement. She's already thumbing her nose at the Seekers, but there's not much else she can do to the guilds. The monsters in the dungeon aren't exactly the establishment, plus she's already slaughtering them indiscriminately.
(Also, Hanako currently has 2.3 billion gold.)

You should buy and release every monster from confinement.

The establishment has been profiting from the blood of monsters for too long. They must all be freed!

If you take them to the dungeon, set your combat action to be defend and then turn on them you should be able to set them free. (Disclaimer: I have never tried this, attacking companions may force you into fight mode, but I don't think it does because I think I remember being able to cast spells when turning on a companion.)

Of course you should probably take them really deep into the dungeon before releasing them, so "the man" can't capture them again.

Can you turn on companions when you're already in combat? You could set up some weird groups that way. If so, what happens if there are already four types of monster in the area. Could be a good way to turn up bugs in the system flaws in the capitalist nature of society.

Of course, it would have been easier if you'd taken on this quest before binding your dragons, but you just have to ask yourself how dedicated you are to bringing down the system...

+Quote Post
DarkerMuffin
post Jun 17 2015, 03:28 AM
Post #130

Fighter

Good idea! I don't think I'll get to it right away because of the dragon problem, but also because of the scope of the project. I'd want to clear out an entire floor, then repurpose that floor into a dungeon utopia! Gibbering Yethwas would live side-by-side with Slave Mashers. Kobolds would live in harmony with Ice Dragons. Of course, they would need to be far away enough from the corrupt influence of the town. I need to level up so I can clear out a floor deep enough to be suitable. I'll probably have to do it over several days, at the same time each day, so the dungeon won't respawn and wipe out my utopia project work.

After emptying it, I could repurpose the confinement as a prison for the the establishment. It's a shame that all of the royal monsters like the Giant King and Dragon Queen are charm resistant; they would make great prisoners! Right now, it would merely house those Courriers again.

QUOTE (korexus @ Jun 16 2015, 02:30 PM) *
If you take them to the dungeon, set your combat action to be defend and then turn on them you should be able to set them free. (Disclaimer: I have never tried this, attacking companions may force you into fight mode, but I don't think it does because I think I remember being able to cast spells when turning on a companion.)

Can you turn on companions when you're already in combat? You could set up some weird groups that way. If so, what happens if there are already four types of monster in the area. Could be a good way to turn up bugs in the system flaws in the capitalist nature of society.

I think that's how it works, but I haven't double-checked. Usually I just quickly cast a buffered spell instead. Worst-case scenario, I could always mash the D key while releasing them. I've always found dealing with the loyal companions going after the rebel companions you kicked out to be the most difficult part. If only you could issue some standing orders to defend to your current companions...

I've tried to make a few weird groups, but the game does have some restrictions. This was a few years ago, so hopefully my memory's accurate for this. When I tried to kick companions out while facing four groups of enemies, they just refused to go. They also wouldn't go if the enemy monsters were peaced, only joining hostile groups. They also would flat out refuse to join groups that had a monster of the opposite alignment. Since David Allen had clearly put some thought into how companions should behave when kicked out, I lost some interest in the bug hunting element of it. I also didn't have a diverse enough confinement for creating really interesting groups, plus I was frustrated because kicked out companions couldn't join already existing groups, so I stopped messing around with it entirely. It would be a lot more interesting if a kicked out Firagon would join the already existing group of Firagons! (Maybe it's done this way because the game only tracks the missing HP for one monster in a group at a time?)

This post has been edited by DarkerMuffin: Jun 17 2015, 03:32 AM

--------------------
null

+Quote Post
korexus
post Jun 17 2015, 09:55 PM
Post #131

Explorer

I had a brief experiment, you can defend while turning on a companion, but as you say your other companions will still fight. Also, when adding to a group the group may attack your companion, so releasing the lower HP monsters may be tricky.

I had the same 1 monster per group, 4 groups max results. I didn't try an evil with a good but it's interesting that it's not allowed. You could always indoctrinate realign the monsters before taking them down I guess.

Nice idea about abusing the respawn process to populate an entire level. It's a shame that you can't release companions without fighting them (or somehow peace an angry monster, which I've always thought would make a nice low level charm spell) you could have had a surreal haven to wander around in. As it is, your good work will never be recognised by those who benefit most.

Level 5 might be a good location. The teleporters up right next to the stairs down mean that you don't need to go into any other room unless you want to. (Unless I've misunderstood how the respawn mechanism works...)

korexus.

+Quote Post
DarkerMuffin
post Jun 18 2015, 12:48 PM
Post #132

Fighter

QUOTE (korexus @ Jun 17 2015, 03:55 PM) *
I didn't try an evil with a good but it's interesting that it's not allowed. You could always indoctrinate realign the monsters before taking them down I guess.

I wasn't sure I was remembering this correctly, so I went ahead and tried some quick tests with the companion alignments. When I realigned two Kobolds to from neutral to good and evil and released them, they had no problem fighting together! At this point, I figured I was misremembering the old experiments, but just to make sure I didn't align both Kobolds to good or something, I wanted to double-check. This time, I grabbed a Gibbering Yethwa and a Giant Leech. They already had the right alignments, so there was little risk of me screwing up. When I went to the dungeon and kicked the two out, the Yethwa refused to join the Leech!

Sidenote: Here's the message you get when the companion refuses to be kicked out.

After that, I tried the alignment test with the Kobolds again, and they had no trouble joining each other, no matter what their alignment. Interesting behavior...

I played around with it a bit more, and I think monsters that are naturally neutral won't perform the alignment check for the enemy monsters. My realigned neutral to good Kyu Hetha was perfectly willing to join the naturally evil Wererat, but when I tried to kick the Wererat out against the good Kyu Hetha, it refused to go! This is a three in the morning guess, and I haven't really tested it thoroughly. I'm betting there's weird behavior when kicking out evil monsters against good->neutral realignments too. I ran out of naturally good companions on my testing character, so I'll put that off until I'm more awake. This might have important implications for the utopia project.

5 does have a great layout for the monsters. It's easy to let them live in peace, without accidentally respawn-killing them, and there's plenty of real estate! Look at all those 2x2 rooms! They fit perfectly for kicking the monsters out. Four tiles for four kicked out monsters! Unfortunately, there's one big dealbreaker. Courriers wander around all over the level, and I can't have them delivering propaganda to the free monsters! I'm not sure when they stop showing up as companions to deeper monsters either. The establishment has a long reach. I've been considering 15, as kind of an ultimate goal to this game, but that may be too ambitious. It's a long march to bring those monsters down to the bottom. (To make it easier, I could let them die on the way down, then revive them at the destination, but then I'd be as bad as the morgue!) There's also the high risk of death while clearing out the current residents. Still, at the bottom floor, I could drop them off, then easily avoid going down there at all, except during the safe hours.

This post has been edited by DarkerMuffin: Jun 18 2015, 12:52 PM

--------------------
null

+Quote Post
korexus
post Jun 18 2015, 06:24 PM
Post #133

Explorer

I'd guess that companions revert to their original alignment when being kicked. - It would save the game having to remember the custom data, although at that point there's no real reason they couldn't join an existing group...

The refuse to join behaviour is weird conceptually. "I'm going to kill you now", "but I don't want to join those guys", "Ok then, stay on loyal companion". Makes sense from a game engine limitation point of view of course...

+Quote Post
DarkerMuffin
post Jun 19 2015, 10:50 AM
Post #134

Fighter

That would make sense. The only oddity is that if you kick a realigned creature out and recharm it, it keeps the realignment. I haven't tried testing anything else though; I didn't play much today.

I did play with Hanako for a bit though, and ran into a spot of bad luck. I ran into Mostrums on 7. They got that 5% chance of initiative and instantly stoned two my Spectral Dragons. At least they Mostrums didn't get Hanako! I wiped them out, went to town to restore SP, and teleported down to the dragon room on 14. Shadow Dragons. They got initiative and instantly wiped out my other two Spectral Dragons. crybaby.gif At least that wasn't as unlucky! They have 30 agility, compared to Hanako's 35.

Anyways, I'll try to find some new ones tomorrow. I'd like to go for at least three with above average HP again.

When I was originally going for the Spectral Dragons, I thought that I'd see a group of four Spectral Dragons frequently, making charming them a cinch. I was mistaken though; I was mentally switching the frequency of seeing the full number of groups with the frequency of seeing the full number of members in a group. For instance, I'll typically see Tiger Shark groups come in fours, but it's unusual to see a single group contain the full three of them. I don't know why I got those frequencies swapped! My head's on straight now though.

This post has been edited by DarkerMuffin: Jun 24 2015, 10:52 AM

--------------------
null

+Quote Post
DarkerMuffin
post Jun 24 2015, 12:27 PM
Post #135

Fighter

It took quite a bit longer to put together a full company of dragons than I'd hoped, but here they are!

Hey! Those aren't Spectral Dragons! I decided to go for Sun Dragons after getting frustrated with charming more Spectral Dragons.

Shadow Dragons are pretty rare, but that combination of spellcasting and breathing instantly wipes out my companions. I had a couple of Spectral Dragons with well above average HP when those nightmares struck again. It wouldn't have happened if I had been less picky about my companions. I kept going back down every hour, charming whatever dragon showed up, hoping for plump Spectral Dragons. I was going for a set of four, all with 300 HP.

Anyways, after the Spectral Dragon wipe out, I wanted to go for the Sun Dragons instead. They're easily the more valuable prize, I was sick of the Shadow Dragons, and Hanako had far better defenses and HP than before, meaning an unlucky Golden Eagle encounter wasn't instant death, especially with 37 dexterity. I charmed a couple of Spectral Dragons for covering fire, then teleported to 2,14,14, two rooms outside of the Sun Dragon lair.

Two rooms outside of the Sun Dragon lair was a relatively benign spot for 14, free of those nasty animal and humanoid spawns that all the nearby tiles had. Its can spawn lycanthropes, thieves, undead, and warriors. The lycanthropes are mostly forgettable, although the Displacer should be felled quickly. Thieves are never life-threatening. Warriors can be dangerous with their high HP totals, and I don't want to meet the Master Ninja, but a strong spell should handle most of them, with the Spectral Dragons on mop-up duty. The undead have the scariest possible spawn, the Minion of Death. I don't want to meet one of these, with all the nasty things it can do, not to mention its companions. Worse would be if it came as a companion to the Angel of Death. Still, I think it's survivable with companions, even if I get paralyzed. Most of the time, it should be easy to clear the room, giving me a safe area to retreat to if either of the next two rooms have something nasty lurking in them.

This worked out well. I didn't see anything nasty in any of the rooms, and wound up with the Sun Dragons pictured above. The difference between running with Sun Dragons and Spectral Dragons feels like the difference between running with Spectral Dragons and running alone. It's nice to have some of these again! Since Hanako is named after a Japanese fish, I stuck with the Japanese theme and named them after Japanese battles and rebellions. (I should've done naval battles!)

I also finished one of my last medium-term Mordor goals.

I've always wanted one of these! It only took Hanako 113 Twisted Elves and 193 Black Pelagons! Ulysses had 244 Twisted Elf sightings, then who knows how many times I've seen them on previous installs. Shortly afterwards, while mapping out level 10, I got to try it out against some studded Silent Eagles. It was marvelous.

Speaking of rare drops, I also found one of these!

It came at a perfect time, since Hanako's 27! But who cares about that? Now she's 147,487,605 richer! (I think this is the first time I've bothered to identify Dragon's Blood.) I didn't write down what dropped it, thinking that I could look in the library to see, but it recorded it as an unknown monster. I think it was a Spectral Dragon, but I can't say for sure.

Current levels:

Thief: 236, currently quested for a Sphere of Doom.
Sorceror: 157, no quests.
Seeker: 129, no quests, no crest.
Healer: 127, quested for an Outcast Goblin.
Wizard: 41.
Nomad: 30.

I overleveled Thief a lot while hunting down new companions, but it's still faster per level than the spellcasting guilds. (95,000 exp per level versus the 125,000 for Sorceror and 110,000 for the Healer.) I'll probably go Healer 159 next, so I can finally ditch my last 'Might' items, plus bring my healing down to minimum cost. After that, I'll probably level up Seeker some, as a break from the high experience requirements from the Healer. After that, I'd like to level up Wizard, before pushing down deeper to where the Sun Dragons lose their luster. I'd like to slip Sorceror somewhere in there too, so that Acidic Spray more consistently kills Kyu t'Sallis.

Gold: 3,472,127,077.

Edit: And suddenly, the massive companion time sink seriously pays off! A Ghoul got initiative and instantly paralyzed me on 12, threatening to prematurely kill off Hanako! Premonitions of death suddenly filled my head. No, not again! But then the Sun Dragons swooped in and killed the Ghoul and company in one round, letting Hanako live for another day.

This post has been edited by DarkerMuffin: Jun 26 2015, 10:08 AM

--------------------
null

+Quote Post
DarkerMuffin
post Jul 8 2015, 10:49 PM
Post #136

Fighter

Gold: 6,003,851,876.

Current Levels:

Sorceror: 274
Thief: 238
Seeker: 225
Healer: 179
Wizard: 160

I'm finally getting near the end game! Time to prepare for the nastiest encounters on 15. Most of the regular encounters are pretty manageable. The biggest non-stud ones are Gorgons, with a nasty 35 dexterity. They're a nasty wake-up call after the long reprieve from stoner mythicals. (11-14 are some of the safest levels from stoning.) It doesn't help that they come in such large groups. I probably fear running into them the most of any monster from 15. Great Whites are also a pretty nasty encounter. A Cap of Death will generally kill some of them, but it's not strong enough to consistently wipe them out. There are also plenty of other monsters that can threaten my companion-heavy approach, like the toughest spellcasters.

There are also the big level 16 monsters to worry about. Asmodeus and the Demon Prince have 35 dexterity apiece. They're not at all worth the risk. But, killing Asmodeus without dying is one of my ultimate goals! Onwards to glory!

Based on GaiaCaT's initiative formulas, 45 dexterity is the magic speed for Hanako! Right now, she can hit 37 as a thief with her current equipment. Here's what I can find to improve that.

• Girdle of Giant Strength: +2 dexterity. The biggest boost over her current equipment. It has a low drop rate, but at least the monsters that drop it on 14 show up pretty frequently. I can't afford to face 15 without it. It's dropped by Gargantuans (14), Red Cloak Assassins (15), Daemon Lords (15), Fire Lords (14), Spectral Dragons (14), Dragon Queens (15), the Asteryex (10), the Mother of Serpents (12), Etholan Phantasms (14), Vampire Lords (15), Lamurian Soldiers (14), and Lamurian Warriors (15). (Why don't any Giants drop it?)
  • Boots of the Elven Lords: +1 dexterity over the Boots of Agility. I don't have high hopes of finding this one soon. It's not dropped by many monsters, and there are several which I want to avoid meeting until Hanako's dexterity is higher. It's dropped by Assassins (15), Spectral Dragons (14), Death Stalkers (15), Charons (15), Gorgons (15), Mind Twisters (15), Warlords (15), T'Butus (15), and the Mother of Serpents (12).
  • Grey Elven Robe or Cloak of Enchantment: +1 dexterity over the Silver Cloak. The Grey Elven Robe's quite a bit more common, plus it's found on 14 instead of 15, so I imagine that's what I'll end up finding. These are dropped by Shadows of Death (14), Spectral Dragons (14), Dragon Kings (15), Death Stalkers (15), Angels of Death (14), Etholan Phantasms (14), Dark Shapes (13), Ancient Guardians (15), Gorgons (15), Master Thieves (14), Masters of Shadows (15), Magi (14), Mind Twisters (15), and the Mother of Serpents (12).
  • Vorpal Blade: +1 dexterity. It's a level 13 item that's dropped by tons of stuff. I've actually already found one, but since it was the wrong alignment, I sold it. I have no doubt that I'll find more. In a worst-case scenario, I can always equip Hanako with a Shadow's Blade instead. It's not like she's challenging Asmodeus in hand-to-hand combat! It's dropped by too many things to list.
  • Blessing of Morash: +1 dexterity. Super useful, but Pariahs are shy. I'm not sure whether this will be harder to find or the Boots of the Elven Lords. Pariahs are quite a bit rarer than Spectral Dragons, but the Blessing is a straight 1 in 10 chance. The boots drop has to come up in that 1 in 10 item slot chance, then pick the Elven Boots out among all the other boots. Blessings of Morash are dropped by Pariahs (13).
  • Dalyn's Last Laugh: +1 dexterity. Ouch. It's a painful equip, but that extra dexterity might save Hanako's life. It's dropped by Indigo Gremlins (14).

Altogether, each of those items, minus any Blessings, would be enough to bring her up to 43 dexterity. Adding a Thief's Cap to the mix brings her up to 44, but she's going to need the Cap of Death to dispatch Asmodeus. (Unless I take her to Healer 359+!) To hit the magic 45 speed, she's going to need grab a couple of Blessings, a tall order. I'm aiming for 42 for Asmeodus. Hopefully, 85% initiative odds are enough!

I expect Asmodeus to take 3 or 4 rounds of combat to fell. I think each round is survivable, as long as he doesn't get a parting shot on Hanako when she leaves the room to heal up. I'll have Hanako make judicious use of the Ring of Entrapment when her companions fall as well, just to give Asmodeus something else to target instead. (I hope this doesn't backfire. It would be completely bogus if the companion got the killing blow on Asmo!) The wasted spellcasting rounds on Asmodeus's will make the companion bit a little more difficult, but at least it gives Hanako a 'free' round of blasting.

The Demon Prince is an entirely different can of worms. His combat blows are obscene. I'll bring along a bunch of companions and pray he doesn't hit Hanako. Thankfully, he only has 1,000 HP instead of Asmodeus's 2,000. If Hanako lives through the first round, I hope she can wipe him out in the second round. I don't want to risk a second one of his strikes.

Of course, before I worry about the biggest bosses at the end, I need to worry about the mundane dangerous monsters! I met my first group of Golden Eagles.

They met my first Cap of Death! whip.gif

I also had a heart-stopping experience with Gargantuans, when I accidentally hit the Electric Field buffer instead of Word of Death. It only wiped out one group of the beasts, leaving two groups basically untouched! Hanako's Sun Dragon companions did manage to kill two, but they didn't breathe any fire! Their round came and Hanako fortunately only took a measly 200 damage. She didn't even lose any companions! I was expecting far worse.

It won't be long until she releases the confinement upon 15!

--------------------
null

+Quote Post
korexus
post Jul 9 2015, 08:55 PM
Post #137

Explorer

QUOTE (DarkerMuffin @ Jul 8 2015, 11:49 PM) *
  • Girdle of Giant Strength: ... (Why don't any Giants drop it?)

I'm guessing that giants get giant strength by virtue of being giants, and so don't need to wear a belt. happy.gif

+Quote Post
DarkerMuffin
post Jul 11 2015, 07:04 PM
Post #138

Fighter

That makes sense, although it does make one wonder just what the belt's made of.

--------------------
null

+Quote Post
Crashland
post Jan 1 2016, 12:02 AM
Post #139

Teacher

Member No.: 4,781
referrer:Yahoo search engine

dance.gif

I am loving these latest updates! Down with the establishment! Forward for a new age of peaceful coexistence and self-imposed limitations for entertainment and bragging rights!

Tell me, is Hanako still alive? It would be so very sad if she died in an unfortunate "accident". Damned questbastard.

Furthermore, I am positively thrilled that a thread I started over five years ago is still relatively active. That was enough time for me to leave my teenage years behind! I think that really says something. I'm not sure what it says, but it's definitely something.

This post has been edited by Crashland: Jan 1 2016, 12:05 AM

--------------------
For some good reading, if you'd like to participate, or simply to pass the time, be sure to check out my challenge threads.

The Revolutionary Challenge
The Money Challenge

Can't wait to start a Mordor XP challenge.

QUOTE (DarkerMuffin @ Jun 16 2015, 05:54 AM) *
I stole Asmodeus's tax return!

+Quote Post
DarkerMuffin
post Jan 3 2016, 05:17 AM
Post #140

Fighter

She is! A brief update!

Gold: 7,077,598,125.

Current Levels:

Thief: 359
Sorceror: 313 (Mincost Electric Field!)
Seeker: 225
Healer: 179
Wizard: 160

Of the wanted items I listed in my last update, she's picked up the Girdle of Giant Strength and the Grey Elven Robe. The Girdle needed realignment, but it's so ridiculous, it was worth the ~100,000,000 it cost. Of course, shortly afterwards, a neutral one dropped. rolleyes.gif She also equipped a shadow's blade since I only found the one Vorpal Blade. With all that equipment, she's at 41 speed, high enough for "safe" forays into 15 as a thief, as long as I take care to avoid studs and mythical spawns. There were also a few rooms that had high odds of spawning spellcasters which she generally avoided. The spellcasters aren't dangerous to her, but her Sun Dragon companions were much more vulnerable.

Before I went on hiatus, I had her explore 90% of 15, leaving only the dangerous rooms grey. I knew I wouldn't remember all of the dangerous rooms if I spent some time away from Mordor. By leaving them grey, these rooms should each have a nice 'Beware of the Dog' sign to remind me to stay away when I come back!

I think I took some notes on what kind of evil quest requests I got, as well as other interesting tales, but I don't know where I saved it.

This thread has remained active for so long, I think it qualifies as a classic!

--------------------
null

+Quote Post

8 Pages V  « < 5 6 7 8 >
Reply to this topicStart new topic
2 User(s) are reading this topic (2 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 25th August 2019 - 01:41 AM
Bridged By IpbWiki: Integration Of Invision Power Board and MediaWiki © GlobalSoft
Copyrights and Credits