> The Sage's Challenge
Danjen
post Oct 26 2009, 04:35 AM
Post #1

Veteran

Group: Mordor MP Prog
Member No.: 3,498
referrer:Decklin's Domain

Remember the days of ROGUE-like games where you had to use trial and error to figure out what items did? That's the idea behind this challenge.

The Rules:
  • You may use all town features, except you may not identify items or purchase items beyond your starting gear.
  • You may die once with no penalty. Dying a second time makes your character ineligible for this challenge.
  • You may not use the automap, or maps of any kind.
  • You must make a fresh (non-legacy) solo character for this; note that you may reset your files, but this is not required.

The goal is to amass as much money and experience as possible, without dying more than twice.

It should be noted that due to the nature of the game, neutrally-aligned characters (use of un-ID'd tomes with less risk) may be rather advantageous; therefore, characters that are neutral will receive a small penalty to their score. Specifically, you will lose 5% gold, and 3% exp from your total. This is not to discourage use, but instead to balance them for this challenge, so that some character/builds are still viable. This is only because good and evil characters have a potential to lose stats a lot more often than neutrals do.

I will keep a leaderboard of the top three characters for gold and experience gained. When posting your characters, please indicate at least their name, race, guilds/levels, alignment, gold, and experience.

Leaderboard for Experience:
1. ranagrande
Oryctologus Cuniculus
Race: Morloch
Guilds/levels: Nomad 1/Warrior 1
Alignment: Good
Gold: 441
Experience: 181

Leaderboard for Gold:
1. ranagrande
Oryctologus Cuniculus

Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post
Kingkirki_49
post Oct 26 2009, 04:38 AM
Post #2

Illusionist

Group: Members
Member No.: 1,203
referrer:Slimie's site

good luck to everybody. i will post results when i decide to try this challange tongue.gif ima try the money one first tho.

EDIT: a question, may i use the same char for the money challange for this one? if not, thats ok biggrin.gif i can just make one as the same race and guilds as the other tongue.gif

This post has been edited by Kingkirki_49: Oct 26 2009, 04:42 AM

--------------------
Ich kann 5% deutsch sprechen.

Visit my forums about dragon drawing and drawing in general today! You dont have to be able to draw to be a part of the fun!

(Please note: If it turns into a "Red X" from time to time I apologise. :( You may still click the x and it will take you to my site.)

When will we have the perfect computer? The following should answer the question.:
Myself answering this joke: At least if god has not branded computers as evil. There shall be no viruses or anything bad on heaven's pc's then and only then shall we have the perfect computer. lol

siggy last edited on 17/11/09 @ 8:19 PM

+Quote Post
Danjen
post Oct 26 2009, 04:53 AM
Post #3

Veteran

It should be fine as long as you follow the criteria (no ID'ing items, for example; you most likely are doing this to maximize cash).

Edit: Also, I changed my mind on the automap. Having a ton of unknowns for items is a big enough handicap, as is.

+Quote Post
grobblewobble
post Oct 26 2009, 11:44 AM
Post #4

Dungeon Master

Member No.: 134
referrer:Slimey's site

Are you aware of the possibility to price-ID items? If you sell a few tomes to the store, you could deduct the alignment of new tomes from the quantity of that alignment in store and the price.

However, if you would set a rule against price-ID, good and evil characters would have no effective way of raising their stats left at all, as far as I can see. The probability of gaining a stat from a tome or potion with unknown alignment would be equal to the probability of losing one.

--------------------
Fear the Society of the Psychic Tyco

+Quote Post
ranagrande
post Oct 26 2009, 01:06 PM
Post #5

Wanderer

Group: Members Plus
Member No.: 180
referrer:Google

Well sure, I'll try this one too, since I'm already winning the money race. smile.gif

Name: Oryctologus cuniculus

I'll play it more when I have some competition. tongue.gif

I am also curious to see the answer to the price-ID question, but I'll be able to play it fine either way.

+Quote Post
Danjen
post Oct 26 2009, 06:20 PM
Post #6

Veteran

I think I will allow price-ID'ing items, simply because, as you stated, it would be rather difficult for good or evil characters to raise stats. As stated above, you have to use logic/trial and error to identify items yourself; this should be fine.

On a side note, many consumables (esp. potions) ask you who to cast the spell on; you could find an unknown potion that asks whether you want to cast Resist Draining or not, and you could deduce it from that. Equippable items, on the other hand, may become attached to you, or you could equip cursed items by accident without knowing - that's part of the fun of this challenge!

+Quote Post
Kingkirki_49
post Oct 26 2009, 06:45 PM
Post #7

Illusionist

Group: Members
Member No.: 1,203
referrer:Slimie's site

quote danjen: Also, I changed my mind on the automap. Having a ton of unknowns for items is a big enough handicap, as is.

thanks smile.gif it made it easier for me. laugh.gif id go crazy trying to find my way home laugh.gif

--------------------
Ich kann 5% deutsch sprechen.

Visit my forums about dragon drawing and drawing in general today! You dont have to be able to draw to be a part of the fun!

(Please note: If it turns into a "Red X" from time to time I apologise. :( You may still click the x and it will take you to my site.)

When will we have the perfect computer? The following should answer the question.:
Myself answering this joke: At least if god has not branded computers as evil. There shall be no viruses or anything bad on heaven's pc's then and only then shall we have the perfect computer. lol

siggy last edited on 17/11/09 @ 8:19 PM

+Quote Post

Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 21st August 2019 - 06:04 AM
Bridged By IpbWiki: Integration Of Invision Power Board and MediaWiki © GlobalSoft
Copyrights and Credits