IPB

Welcome Guest ( Log In | Register )

5 Pages V  « < 2 3 4 5 >  
Reply to this topicStart new topic
> Recording a Mordor run - solo good elf!
Roland
post Nov 29 2018, 09:04 PM
Post #61

Fighter

Group: Members Plus
Member No.: 8,408
referrer:Google

QUOTE (Grog @ Nov 28 2018, 02:56 PM) *
I don't get bored. After all these years of playing I can still learn something.
-- I had no idea that 'Goodies' could not kill Good companions. Great message ("...it's against your ways...")

Hmmm . . . so there is a reason to change companions' alignments!
Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post
Grog
post Nov 30 2018, 05:15 PM
Post #62

Mentor

Member No.: 162
referrer: Not since college

Purely silly free advice...

If you want to finish up lv. 2, there are rooms between the rocks (18,5,2 & 18,6,2) and (23,6,2 & 24,6,2)
Have to displace in. Save some sp to displace out, otherwise you will be stuck in there.

Also silly: you can go to 19,1,2, face south, and detect rock. Then Ethereal Portal (if you dare sneaky.gif )

--------------------
It is against your ways to attack a Good companion

+Quote Post
MythrilZenith
post Jan 31 2019, 12:55 AM
Post #63

Vagabond

Member No.: 6,867
referrer:A google-search for Mordor: Depths of Dejenol maps led me here!

New part today - I wanted to see how deep I could go in a single run! I made it down to the Vampire on floor 9, so all things considered I'm doing alright.
Video link: https://youtu.be/P3O1DJNlq1I

My levels so far are (roughly):
-Nomad 73
-Paladin 111
-Scavenger 97
-Mage 86
-Sorcerer 94
-Wizard 49
485 HP, 250 Spells, all stats natural-capped, 465M gold banked.

Leprosy and Acid Spray are my go-to spells of choice for most encounters, with a Ring of Frost and the sorcerer crest Pillar of Flame for things like slimes which resist both disease and acid. Paralyzing Death is a good emergency button for most other enemy types.

Leveling has gotten fairly slow even with my bugged level 4 grinding, so I'm going to be diving deeper on a regular basis. I still can barely survive beyond floor 7 with the help of healing items (thank goodness my combined Crystal of Healing didn't get stolen), so it's going to be awhile before I dive even deeper.

--------------------
Just an average nomad trying to figure out how Mordor really works.

I've also taken the liberty of recording some videos of Mordor: Depths of Dejenol!

Classics are classic, but never mistake nostalgia for superiority. When older is better, it's because it truly is, not just because our perception of it makes it so.

+Quote Post
Mordion
post Feb 1 2019, 03:43 AM
Post #64

Vagabond

Member No.: 3,924
referrer:The Super Seer

QUOTE (MythrilZenith @ Jan 30 2019, 07:55 PM) *
Leveling has gotten fairly slow even with my bugged level 4 grinding

Are you talking about level 4 respawning quickly? I've been looking into the dungeon spawn timer and I'm interested in what's causing it. If you're willing to help me experiment, please make a backup and then delete MDATA10.mdr to reset the state of the dungeon (monsters and chests) and see if that fixes the spawn rate.

+Quote Post
MythrilZenith
post Feb 1 2019, 04:59 AM
Post #65

Vagabond

QUOTE (Mordion @ Jan 31 2019, 08:43 PM) *
Are you talking about level 4 respawning quickly? I've been looking into the dungeon spawn timer and I'm interested in what's causing it. If you're willing to help me experiment, please make a backup and then delete MDATA10.mdr to reset the state of the dungeon (monsters and chests) and see if that fixes the spawn rate.

Yeah, it's the dungeon timer issue.
I'll look into that and let you know. The issue I have affects all dungeon levels 4 and below, which makes it really scary to delve deeper since I know monsters behind me will be back before I turn around. Level 4 has like a 2 minute timer, and then the timer seems to increase by 2-3 minutes per floor instead of 5.

--------------------

I've also taken the liberty of recording some videos of Mordor: Depths of Dejenol!

Classics are classic, but never mistake nostalgia for superiority. When older is better, it's because it truly is, not just because our perception of it makes it so.

+Quote Post
Grog
post Feb 2 2019, 05:33 AM
Post #66

Mentor

Member No.: 162
referrer: Not since college

ok.gif
Nice delve!
Looking forward to the next one.

--------------------
It is against your ways to attack a Good companion

+Quote Post
MythrilZenith
post Feb 18 2019, 06:26 PM
Post #67

Vagabond

... wow I guess I didn't post this here yet.

My YT Channel finally reached 100 subs, and Mordor is a big part of that. So in case anyone hadn't seen it yet, here's the vid where I basically lay out my story, with the backdrop of leveling Sorcerer to 100. https://youtu.be/-Vl3QzLK6R4

This character is really slow-going, mostly because I only play mordor around when I record videos for it, which is... well, pretty infrequent. So all in all this character has been around for about 5 years, and I'm just barely able to survive a few steps into floor 9. Still, it's the best character I've made so far!

--------------------

+Quote Post
MythrilZenith
post Apr 4 2019, 03:47 AM
Post #68

Vagabond

Episode 36, in which I ramble about philosophy and the like.
https://youtu.be/0ldsnTYf0oI

I started leveling Wizard again, but I've realized that the only spells I'm really getting out of Wizard are Displacement, Teleport and Word of Death. These don't seem relevant enough for me to bother spending so much more time leveling Wizard when I'm already pretty deep into both Mage and Sorcerer, so I've decided to level more into Mage for a bit to bring down the price of heals and some other spells.
I also find that the Sorcerer crest gives me the most "bang for my buck" as it were. An actually decent Crest spell (Power from the wizard sucks), resistances that complement my Elven mind and magic res instead of just doubling down, and the Sorcerer spells are the ones I find myself casting on a most regular basis (namely Leprosy, Acid Spray and Paralyzing Death). Once I get Mage to a point I'm happy with (as I will need strong and efficient heals when delving deep into the dungeon), I'm going to charge on through with Sorcerer. At least until I hit a point where I want to try for the second Paladin swing (heaven help me when THAT happens).

--------------------

+Quote Post
BLauritson
post Apr 4 2019, 06:21 PM
Post #69

Lord Fnorgle

Group: Admin
Member No.: 9
referrer:Let's see.. I can't remember now, it was too long ago.

I must say I rather enjoyed watching that episode. It's the first of yours I've watched as I'm generally too restless to watch game-play videos but it was interesting to hear your musings against the backdrop of Mordor's music and it was enjoyable to watch your forays into the dungeon. I even learned of a secret door on DL 3 that I never knew about before so that's a bonus!

Keep up the good work smile.gif

--------------------

+Quote Post
Roland
post Apr 4 2019, 08:11 PM
Post #70

Fighter

I think focusing on Mage makes sense. Even though the game provides a lot of healing items, it's nice to be able to heal with your own spell points.

One thing to keep in mind when deciding where to stop leveling in Wizard: Wizards can use Spheres (Dislocation and Doom) at 77, and Cubes (Draining and Teleporting at 103).

+Quote Post
MythrilZenith
post Apr 7 2019, 12:42 AM
Post #71

Vagabond

QUOTE (Roland @ Apr 4 2019, 02:11 PM) *
One thing to keep in mind when deciding where to stop leveling in Wizard: Wizards can use Spheres (Dislocation and Doom) at 77, and Cubes (Draining and Teleporting at 103).

Good to know. I figure that, at the very least, if I find a sphere I can't use but want to, I can go back and catch up my wizard level easily enough, but since I don't have those spheres or cubes on me (or at least I don't think so) then it's not a high priority for me.

--------------------

+Quote Post
MythrilZenith
post Apr 26 2019, 02:30 AM
Post #72

Vagabond

Episode 37 is up https://youtu.be/y3XOeaFgzGQ

So basically the same day I posted my above post (that I might decide to catch up if I ever find a sphere I want to use), I found two Spheres of Dislocation, with enough charges that even after selling the first part of the first one to the store, I combined them and now have a 42-use sphere. That should be convenient for my deeper runs. So, because of that (and since leveling anything else was taking forever due to requiring 70k+ exp per level), I grinded wizard to 77.

Right now I'm stuck between wanting to level mage for cheaper heals, wanting to level paladin for reasonably cheaper heals (even if it takes longer, at least I'll be getting combat strength at the same time), or just leveling sorcerer until I'm happy with my offensive spells. Plus, I don't know if I want to continue with Sorcerer or Paladin into endgame. Is there a significant bonus to anything from the currently-joined guild compared to guilds you just have levels in, outside of what equipment you can use? That might make up my mind, because with Paladin I can wear a lot better armor/weapons plus shields (at least until I get some good spellcaster equipment and hit the level to use mystic shields). Though not having to re-cast fire, cold and electric resistance every trip / blackout is nice.

Speaking of which, who decided to name it "electrical resistance" instead of "Resist Electricity?" Every other freaking resistance spell I can just type "Resist F" or the like, whereas this one I have to type "Electrical r" to cast. It's a minor thing but when I'm dealing with the slight input lag from emulation and recording setup it just means more chance for me to mess up and waste 5 seconds.

--------------------

+Quote Post
MythrilZenith
post May 20 2019, 08:58 PM
Post #73

Vagabond

Episode 38 is here - I've been grinding Sorcerer a bit. https://youtu.be/XbQz647CsNc

So I've finally gotten some equipment upgrades! My first Mithril-Shod Staff, and I'm almost hitting the level to use the Mystic Shield - ten more to go!

Level 7 just feels like the perfect place to level in - the lake is full of monsters that almost all die to a single spell cast and drop items of levels I'm just hitting the ability to use. I'm finding the urge to go deeper, but exploring floor 8 kind of scares me since you start hitting a lot of dangerous monsters of all types, as well as since I'm not sure it will be more efficient than floor 7. I've never really done much on floor 8, it's either been staying on 7 or diving all the way to 9-10 for bosses and a chance at good items.

I also found a *totally* useful item - a Crystal Sword. Does this thing just drop super late for no reason? It's like a level 30-ish Nomad item, only usable by the regular sword-wielding classes, and only has 2 hits and a 1.5 multiplier. I guess if it really drops this late it's good for countering weapon resistance, but seriously, why does this thing exist?!

Let me know where else you'd recommend going, and what I should keep leveling. Your advice has been really great so far!

--------------------

+Quote Post
Roland
post May 20 2019, 09:26 PM
Post #74

Fighter

QUOTE (MythrilZenith @ May 20 2019, 04:58 PM) *
I also found a *totally* useful item - a Crystal Sword. Does this thing just drop super late for no reason? It's like a level 30-ish Nomad item, only usable by the regular sword-wielding classes, and only has 2 hits and a 1.5 multiplier. I guess if it really drops this late it's good for countering weapon resistance, but seriously, why does this thing exist?!

Mordor has several useful low-level items that are rather rare. Among these are Lethe Dagger, Crystal Sword, Dominator, and Ring of Venom. You're lucky to find them before you've obtained an even better item. To this day, I still have not found a neutral-aligned Dominator.

+Quote Post
MythrilZenith
post May 21 2019, 02:30 AM
Post #75

Vagabond

QUOTE (Roland @ May 20 2019, 03:26 PM) *
Mordor has several useful low-level items that are rather rare. Among these are Lethe Dagger, Crystal Sword, Dominator, and Ring of Venom. You're lucky to find them before you've obtained an even better item. To this day, I still have not found a neutral-aligned Dominator.

*looks in store and sees the Dominator I found is indeed neutral* umm...

But yeah. I feel like I've never really had a problem finding Lethe Daggers and Rings of Venom (though the ring is such a minor upgrade it's not really worth it and the lethe dagger is just a steel dagger with different str/dex reqs).

Like, the crystal sword is best-in-slot for its level, sure, but for a character going deep enough to need it for weapon resistance they likely already have levels in another class, so a good dagger will probably do just as well if not better for them. The extra 6 defense (which is rare for 1-handed swords) and the 1.5 multiplier are nothing to sneeze at, but it just boggles my mind that such a low-level weapon would drop so deep and be so rare.

Then again, this is Mordor we're talking about. :shrug:

--------------------

+Quote Post
Nudibranch
post May 22 2019, 05:19 AM
Post #76

Fire Master

Group: Mordor MP Prog
Member No.: 71
referrer:search

7 is definitely the best playground for leveling in the entire game. Go deeper when you get bored with it, but you can easily gain dozens of guild levels on 7.

--------------------
I would have started with lasers. Eight o'clock. Day one.

+Quote Post
MythrilZenith
post Jun 3 2019, 07:57 PM
Post #77

Vagabond

New video: https://youtu.be/5S6LbuxMWTw

I've hit 180 sorcerer, making this I'm pretty sure my highest level character ever in Mordor, across all of my installs. I'm even able to survive down to floor 9 decently well, though with my current leveling route I can't explore much on 9 thanks to running low on spell points. Looks like I might want to hold off on lake clearing if I really want to search for better items.

Found my first ever non-white sash today. My only question is what I'm going to use 94 casts of Charm Dragon on?

So I've hit the point where I'm using the best equipment I can find for my character, but aside from the Mystic Shield I feel like I am not using the best equipment I could be. This is where a lot of the drive to explore level 9+ is coming from - if I can acquire better equipment, then maybe I'll be able to not take 100+ damage from each encounter where my spells don't immediately kill my foe (freaking Wretches). Or maybe I'll just need to bring out the big guns like Paralyzing Death more frequently.

Any recommendations for prepping for deep exploration? Also, what spells are worth using in your opinions? I've been sticking to the Element spells since they have the best damage-per-cast and don't seem to be resisted by much, but slimes and certain undead (like wisps) are giving me trouble.

Also, did you ever notice that floor 7's rock squares spell out R H in the lower-right hand side? I didn't until I viewed the map thumbnail from far away. I knew about the D A in on floor 2 for awhile though.

--------------------

+Quote Post
Roland
post Jun 3 2019, 10:04 PM
Post #78

Fighter

QUOTE (MythrilZenith @ Jun 3 2019, 03:57 PM) *
Found my first ever non-white sash today. My only question is what I'm going to use 94 casts of Charm Dragon on?

When you get down to 11, try White Dragons. They're easy to find in their lair. Until then, Mundragons are the best you can do.

QUOTE (MythrilZenith @ Jun 3 2019, 03:57 PM) *
Any recommendations for prepping for deep exploration? Also, what spells are worth using in your opinions? I've been sticking to the Element spells since they have the best damage-per-cast and don't seem to be resisted by much, but slimes and certain undead (like wisps) are giving me trouble.

Wisps are Elementals, not Undead. They are resistant to Mind, Magic, Paralysis, and Acid. If you're leveling in Sorcerer, use your crest on them. Otherwise, Thunder Bolt or Static Mesh is probably your best option. But make sure you have Mental Resistance before tangling with them.

+Quote Post
grumpsey
post Jun 4 2019, 08:02 AM
Post #79

Journeyman

Member No.: 8,723

QUOTE (MythrilZenith @ Jun 4 2019, 05:57 AM) *

Grats on the new video! Keep it up! Just in case but good chance you already know this but RESISTANCES RESISTANCES! I found casting all my resistance spells (resist cold, mind, mental, paralysis, electrical, sight veil, protect etc.) is so useful. 180 Sorc it is minimum costs for you and a 2SP resistance can save you a lot of HP if you get breathed / elemental attacked. After 9 I found quite a lot of monsters that have an elemental attack and resistances will reduce these by 50%, not to mention the 95% spell damage reduction. Once you get high lvl heals and huge HP you might not use all of them every run down but until then I find them very useful conserving HP.

You don' want to run into something which casts x Death and not have resistances on!

Just my 2 cents from another non veteran player!

+Quote Post
MythrilZenith
post Jun 6 2019, 03:09 AM
Post #80

Vagabond

QUOTE (Roland @ Jun 3 2019, 04:04 PM) *
When you get down to 11, try White Dragons. They're easy to find in their lair. Until then, Mundragons are the best you can do.

Wisps are Elementals, not Undead. They are resistant to Mind, Magic, Paralysis, and Acid. If you're leveling in Sorcerer, use your crest on them. Otherwise, Thunder Bolt or Static Mesh is probably your best option. But make sure you have Mental Resistance before tangling with them.

Mundragons seem decent, they start showing up on 9, right? I guess since white sashes stop really being useful against anything stronger than the lake monsters on 6/7 I might as well use those up and start carrying around the new one then. Also wisps are elementals? *smh* D&D has been lying to me!

QUOTE (grumpsey @ Jun 4 2019, 02:02 AM) *
Grats on the new video! Keep it up! Just in case but good chance you already know this but RESISTANCES RESISTANCES!
Just my 2 cents from another non veteran player!

Yup, I don't go anywhere without full resistances. I get about half of them from items, but everything else (including the critical ones like stone, paralysis and drain) I self-cast. It only takes me 26sp to cast all the resistances and other spells I need, but it's SO worth it. The value of resistances was beat into my head the first time I played the full release version (and got down to level 4). Never leave home without them!

So it sounds like electrical spells are the way to go for everything I'm not currently able to kill off easily. I still use my crest in clearing out Giant Crocodiles in floor 6/7 lakes, but if I'm going to be diving deeper I might want to just bypass those and keep my SP and item uses in reserve.

As an elf, spells are definitely my go-to for killing anything reasonably quickly. Currently my buffers look something like this:
1. Crest of the Sorcerer
2. Leprosy
3. Acid Spray
4. Paralyzing Death
5. White Sash (soon to be replaced)
6. Magician's Cap (pretty meh on this tbh, dazzle at 75 kinda sucks)
7. Unicorn Horn (though i might as well just use this from my inventory)
8. Charm of Opening (convenience)
9. Soul Entrapment (don't use it often, it's still at 43 since I'm only like 100 mage but I like having it on command)
10. Ring of Frost (the panic-button).

What are your favorite buffer setups for a sorcerer? Granted I know most players tend to use parties instead of solo, but I'm trying to figure out which spells are worth buffering and which ones have short enough unique names that I can type quickly (like Dazzle is only c-DAZ).

--------------------

+Quote Post

5 Pages V  « < 2 3 4 5 >
Reply to this topicStart new topic
4 User(s) are reading this topic (3 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
1 Members: BLauritson

Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 15th July 2019 - 11:01 PM
Bridged By IpbWiki: Integration Of Invision Power Board and MediaWiki © GlobalSoft
Copyrights and Credits